PDA

View Full Version : MFS Tools 2.0! An upgrade revolution!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tiger
06-15-2002, 12:34 PM
Announcing the release of MFS Tools 2.0!

MFS Tools 1.0 was evolutionary in the TiVo upgrade process. MFS Tools 2.0 may prove to be revolutionary.

Key features:

Seamless support for AT&T and Series 2 TiVo
When restoring a backup of an AT&T or Series 2 TiVo made with MFS Tools 2.0, no longer will it be necessary to give a flag to restore for it to get the byte order right. All Series 2 and AT&T TiVos can be worked on with the same ease afforded Series 1 TiVos, all completely seamlessly.
Upgrade a second time without losing recordings
It's all over the hack FAQ and the underground. You can only have TiVo upgrade with a blessed drive once. It is set in stone, if you want to upgrade again you lose recordings. Not anymore. Due to research into the workings of TiVo, MFS Tools is now able to upgrade a drive without having to bless it and rely on the TiVo software to upgrade it correctly. In fact, with MFS Tools 2.0, you can upgrade again and again, upgrading one drive up to 5 times (3 for some models)
Upgrade both drives on AT&T and Series 2 TiVo
Have an AT&T or Series 2 TiVo, and getting jealous of your friend with 344 hours, while you are stuck with a mere 200? Not anymore! Now Series 2 TiVos can be as large as Series 1! As far as MFS Tools treats them for upgrading, all TiVos are basically the same. There is no need to have a separate tool for standalone, DirecTiVo, and Series 2. One tool does it all.
Increase performance without sacrificing space
When you use MFS Tools 2.0 for all your upgrade needs, you do not need to worry about giving your TiVo extra RAM or swap (Though it never hurts) - MFS Tools is able to create the new MFS partitions in such a way as they use less RAM for the exact same space, making even a full 344 hour upgrade safe to perform without extra RAM or swap.

Download it directly ot as an ISO bootable image HERE (http://mfstools.sourceforge.net/)! (Or from a mirror (http://www.dm-mm.com/tivo/MFS/))

dsmdriver
06-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Wow. Let me be the first to say thanks for all the hard work Tiger!

I do have a question though: I already have a Series 1 with a 60+80Gb setup. The menus are a bit slow when going into now playing. Is there any way for me to take advantage of the reduced RAM usage MFS model without loosing my recordings or would I need to start from scratch?

DCIFRTHS
06-15-2002, 04:11 PM
Looking forward to using it. Thanks !!!

David Platt
06-15-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm glad I followed my instincts and heeded the rumors that this was on tht horizon. I got my Outpost $109 120GB drive last week, but decided to hold off for a few weeks. Glad I waited!! Thanks for all the hard work, guys.

zaknafein
06-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Tiger, you really do amazing work. Thanks again.

bdub
06-15-2002, 04:56 PM
Drat! I should have waited just one more day! Now I've got a 300-hour TiVo with nothing to watch.

Oh, well. It's just TV. :)

Thanks, Tiger. You've made life great for tinkering couch potatoes everywhere!

David Platt
06-15-2002, 04:58 PM
And, as an addendum to my previous post--

I've just complete the first (to my knowledge) non-beta upgrade using the new software. It was on a Philips DirecTivo running 2.5.2. I went from a 40GB/80GB config to a 120GB/80GB without a hitch, and still have all my shows. The whole process took about 3 1/2 hours; the majority of that time was wating on dd, as to be expected. I'm sure my upgrade time would have been much longer if I hadn't gone through and deleted all my suggestions first!

stormsweeper
06-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by dplatt
And, as an addendum to my previous post--

I've just complete the first (to my knowledge) non-beta upgrade using the new software. It was on a Philips DirecTivo running 2.5.2. I went from a 40GB/80GB config to a 120GB/80GB without a hitch, and still have all my shows. The whole process took about 3 1/2 hours; the majority of that time was wating on dd, as to be expected. I'm sure my upgrade time would have been much longer if I hadn't gone through and deleted all my suggestions first!

Nah, dd copies the whole drive no matter what.

MFSTools 2.0 rocks, guys. Oh yeah, and people w/ Sonys you don't need an 11 partition image anymore. Let my dual 80GB setup stand witness to that. :)

philhu
06-15-2002, 06:11 PM
take it from a beta user!

It really! ROCKS!

I did a 30/60 to a 120/120 upgrade without losing programs!!!!!!

It is bulletproof!!!

phil

Mars
06-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Will MFS Tools 2.0 work with TiVo's 3.0 software?

stormsweeper
06-15-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Mars
Will MFS Tools 2.0 work with TiVo's 3.0 software?

Yep.

idlepaw
06-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Hi, just used this to upgrade by AT&T Tivo2. Noticed two mistakes though. First, in step 7, when mounting my windows c drive, I had to type "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos" to get it to mount. Second, in step 8, you wrote, "Take (one of) your new drive(s) and set it’s jumpers to Master. Connect the drive to your secondary IDE channel to make it Secondary Slave." I think it should be "Secondary Master", not slave. Except for these two minor mistakes, everything worked great! Thanks!!!
Ben

David Platt
06-15-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by stormsweeper

Nah, dd copies the whole drive no matter what.

Aaah... I had never paid much attention to how dd works, as I've never needed to use it before. I assumed the time of the backup was directly correlated to how many programs you have, not the size of the drive. Thanks for the info-- I won't bother deleting anything when I upgrade my Hughes!

Craftsman
06-16-2002, 12:03 AM
You Da MAN !!!

One week ago I upgraded from a 1 drive TiVo series 2 60Gb, to a 60 + 120. The 60Gb A drive is really a 120Gb (using 60). I put in 2 120's. I was looking towards the future.

Well, guess what?

THE FUTURE IS HERE !

:)

Thanks to you.

Very generous.

THANK YOU !

Now I just can't wait to 'swell' my A drive.

Worf
06-16-2002, 12:43 AM
Wow, now that's cool. Now I can stop worrying what to do when my 90-hour TiVo (single 80GB drive) is full :). I wanted to use a 120GB drive, but had problems... now I guess I can easily add it to my TiVo if I need to. yay!.

kenr
06-16-2002, 01:08 AM
I have a DSR6000 with 2 80 GB drives.

The A drive is a mirror image of the original A drive (only 40 GB of it is used), the B drive was blessed and is used entirely.

Can the new mfstools expand my A drive to use the entire 80 GB and retain all recordings?

(I did this upgrade originally before TiVoMad supported the DTiVo)

DCIFRTHS
06-16-2002, 03:45 AM
The FAQ says:

Q. How confident can I be in the backup made?

A. As confident as you want. Feel free to test the backup before doing anything to your source drive. In fact, I encourage you to test your backup. There are a few instances I am still a little uncertain about. Besides, it only takes a few minutes to test.

My Question: Can you please be more specific when you say: "There are a few instances I am still a little uncertain about".

The FAQ says:

When you use MFS Tools 2.0 for all your upgrade needs, you do not need to worry about giving your TiVo extra RAM or swap (Though it never hurts) – MFS Tools is able to create the new MFS partitions in such a way as they use less RAM for the exact same space, making even a full 344 hour upgrade safe to perform without extra RAM or swap.

My questions:

1) When I run MFS Tools 2, is there a way to specify more swap space, or is this handled automatically by the tools?

2) If Ithere is a way topo add more swap space, and I don't do it, what will the downside be? For example, will TiVo still be able to do a repair if necessary?

Thanks

stormsweeper
06-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by DCIFRTHS

1) When I run MFS Tools 2, is there a way to specify more swap space, or is this handled automatically by the tools?

During a restore, there is a flag you can pass to set the size of your swap space. Check the restore options in the readme. This is NOT a new option to MFS Tools, btw.

DCIFRTHS
06-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by stormsweeper

During a restore, there is a flag you can pass to set the size of your swap space. Check the restore options in the readme. This is NOT a new option to MFS Tools, btw.

I should have asked if it is advisable (a good idea) to add more swap space with the new set of tools. I will be using two 120 GIG drives in a series 2, and I am unclear as to whether the default restore (not specifying a swap size) will actually create a sufficient swap file to run a self repair.

I want to set it up so that there is enough room to do the self repair. In addition, I'm not confident as to what size swap I should choose if I am "required" to specify this value.

I thought it was a new feature because one of the readme states:

MFS Tools 2.0 New Features
MFS Tools 1.0 was evolutionary in the TiVo upgrade process. MFS Tools 2.0 may prove to be revolutionary.

- Increase performance without sacrificing space
When you use MFS Tools 2.0 for all your upgrade needs, you do not need to worry about giving your TiVo extra RAM or swap (Though it never hurts) – MFS Tools is able to create the new MFS partitions in such a way as they use less RAM for the exact same space, making even a full 344 hour upgrade safe to perform without extra RAM or swap.

NeZorf
06-16-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by dsmdriver
I do have a question though: I already have a Series 1 with a 60+80Gb setup. The menus are a bit slow when going into now playing. Is there any way for me to take advantage of the reduced RAM usage MFS model without loosing my recordings or would I need to start from scratch?

Does anyone have any insight if using MFS 2.0 improves the menu speed when there are lots of programs in NP?

Any tips for dual 120+giggers?

Tiger
06-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Wow, my very own pinned topic! :)

To answer a few questions...

dsmdriver,
You would need to start over. I do not, however, know if it really makes a difference in the menu speed and such. The only 100% known difference is if it has a green screen, without reducing RAM usage or increasing RAM or swap, it would not be able to complete.

dplatt,
Sorry to disappoint you. To test the floppy image on the final release version of the CD, I upgraded my live TiVo (DirecTV) from 80+80 to 120+120. So depending on how you look at it, that could be considered non-beta. :) And if you want me to get really technical, I upgraded it to 80+80 in the first place a year ago using the same code that is in the new software, long before it was beta. (The upgrade code has actually been in there since way before even 1.0.. I just needed to make an interface for it)

Idlepaw, thanks. :) I'd be amazed if thats the only mistake though.

kenr,
It can do that without even breaking a sweat. Just pop the drives into your PC on the primary IDE channel, boot off the CD, and run mfsadd -x /dev/hda /dev/hdb and less than a second later when it finishes, shutdown and pop em back into your TiVo. Total time: 5-10 minutes, most of which spent taking the drives out and putting them back.

DCIFRTHT,
I should probably change that FAQ item. The few instances referred to are from 1.0 - I had one report of the reboot loop problem back then (Since 2.5 is the one with the problem and it was only in beta) so figured it was an isolated thing. But because I was not sure, I left that comment in. It turned out not to be an isolated problem, and with the release of 2.5, I got sent a problemed backup, figured it out, and released MFS Tools 1.1 to fix it.

It is never a bad idea to add more swap space. However, I am using 2x120 in my combo without increasing the swap. But I upgraded it to 80x80 with the memory saving feature originally. If I you are upgrading a system that was upgraded with bless or with TiVoMad, it would be advisable to make swap something more like 128 megs. You don't need to specify the value, it assumes 64 megs if you do not.

As to the readme, it has nothing to do with the swap size creation, it just says it is not required for making the larger upgrades safer.

Agent86
06-16-2002, 08:00 PM
For anyone wondering, I upgraded a 40/120 Series2 AT&TiVo to 120/120. No loss of recordings, and I've got 306 hours now!

Though, one word of warning, it did take 2-3 hours to dd the old A drive to the new one.

I didn't do anything with my swap file, and it seems to be running fine.

Tiger, should I be worried about the swap at all?

- Agent 86

Tiger
06-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Probably not. The big problem comes with Series 1, which only had 16mb of RAM. The problem occurred somewhere between 120 and 160gb. With what you have, you have the same memory requirements as 180gb w/o the extra savings MFS Tools does. (That is 120+40 for the original, then an additional 80 / 4 for the new stuff) With the extra RAM of the series 2, I don't think you will have to worry.

DCIFRTHS
06-16-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Tiger
Wow, my very own pinned topic! :)

If I you are upgrading a system that was upgraded with bless or with TiVoMad, it would be advisable to make swap something more like 128 megs. You don't need to specify the value, it assumes 64 megs if you do not.

I am upgrading a unmodified factory fresh Series 2 using 2x120 GIG drives . What would you suggest for the swap size so the self repair will run with no problems?

Tiger
06-16-2002, 08:29 PM
In that case, as the head post says "No change in swap size needed if you use MFS Tools for all your upgrade needs". You don't need to worry about extra swap at all.

Tiger
06-16-2002, 08:40 PM
BTW, if anyone wants to mirror this and post a link, feel free, I'll add it to the main post as a mirror.

DCIFRTHS
06-16-2002, 08:42 PM
In that case, as the head post says "No change in swap size needed if you use MFS Tools for all your upgrade needs". You don't need to worry about extra swap at all.

I think it's the "(Though it never hurts)" after the line above that has made me paranoid....

If I do add swap, do you have a suggestion as to the size I should use with 2x120 GIG drives?

Thanks!

Tiger
06-16-2002, 08:44 PM
Though it never hurts means exactly that.. Nothing ill will come from using more swap. I would not worry about increasing the swap size with that config. I am using 2x120 in my combo now with no extra swap.

bidger
06-16-2002, 08:47 PM
Well, I downloaded the .iso image for the boot CD, burned it per instructions, then printed out the instructions. I was looking at doing the upgrade yesterday, but I noticed my SA took a long time during it's daily call. Sure enough I checked SI and saw "Pending Restart", so I put the upgrade off til today. Everything went smoothly and when I added the 80G Maxtor it said I'd added 88hrs at basic. Cool! Only problem is when I hook it up it does the "Starting Up...almost there" loop. I've tried every jumper config. & I'm at a loss. Do I need to add a jumper to the original drive for "Master enabled" as opposed to "Master". I'm not buying another Maxtor. They make this whole jumper situation too complicated.

DCIFRTHS
06-16-2002, 08:47 PM
Though it never hurts means exactly that.. Nothing ill will come from using more swap. I would not worry about increasing the swap size with that config. I am using 2x120 in my combo now with no extra swap.

Cool. Thanks again.

Tiger
06-16-2002, 08:55 PM
bidger,

Hmm, first report I have heard of something like that. Care to give a little more information? (IE if you were adding a B drive, replacing a drive with a larger one, what commands you used, etc)

bidger
06-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Sure Tiger, appreciate your help. I'm adding a drive to the original A in a Philips SA 14hr. As far as commands through the process, I followed your guide, had no problem copying the original drive to my C: drive, was able to
restore that image to the upgrade drive, and saw a report of 88 hrs. when I used the add command. As I said it's stuck on the "power up" loop and the unit doesn't respond to the remote. Hope that helps round things out for you. Thanks.

Tiger
06-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Hmm, in that case I'm not sure.. If you can mount partition 9 on the A drive and get the logs off of the log directory there, could you PM them to me? Perhaps someone else will have to answer about the Maxtor jumper issue. But looking at the logs will show if the second drive was at least seen.

bidger
06-16-2002, 09:35 PM
I'd tried several times to upgrade w/ the previous version of mfstools and
could never get the second drive recognized, but it always came back to the original drive & rebooted. I see other folks (some who've upgraded &
some who haven't) having problems w/ their remotes & reboots after 3.0.
I'd like to give you the log you've requested, but I'm not that tech-savvy.
Do I boot from the upgrade CD? Do I connect the TiVo A as secondary master & what commands do I use to bring up & save that log. Thanks, Tiger.

Tiger
06-16-2002, 09:39 PM
If you have your CD-ROM as secondary slave, and your DOS/Windows drive is primary master, you can connect the TiVo drive to secondary master position and boot off the upgrade CD- instead of hitting enter to accept defaults, select the byte swapped boot option - and issue the following commands:

mkdir /mnt/dos
mkdir /mnt/var
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
mkdir /mnt/dos/tivologs
mount /dev/hda9 /mnt/var
cp /mnt/var/log/* /mnt/dos/tivologs/
umount /mnt/var
umount /mnt/dos

Then your logs should be in C:\tivologs

bidger
06-16-2002, 09:50 PM
OK, thanks Tiger I printed out the directions & I'll log off now and see what happens.

ddunham
06-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Wow. I hadn't been keeping up with the state of the tools. So when Tiger came by the TiVo picnic on Saturday and dropped off some CDs, I didn't realize that this was hot-off-the-presses stuff.

I'd tried to burn a boot CD the night before and failed, so having a working CD in hand was great. Since I don't have a series 2, I could have done it with the older tools, but I'm happy to use the new one.

I upgraded my Phillips SA (3.0) today with the new Fry's/Outpost 120G drive. All is well.

Thanks for all the work, and for the CD at the picnic. :cool:

I get to record one of the College World Series ball games on "best" while I'm at work tomorrow. Yee-haw!

P.S. Anyone else with that new Outpost drive have a problem with the diag disk? Every time I booted from it, the utility complained that it wasn't a Western Digital drive and wouldn't do diags on it. :( Everything's working so far, but I wish I could have run them once.

Tiger
06-16-2002, 10:50 PM
I didn't bother with the diags.. I just popped the drive in and went.

And yep, hot off the press. People at the picnic were getting them only an hour later than you could have downloaded it.

mike
06-17-2002, 08:36 AM
Tiger,

Thanks for the new release. I have been trying to upgrade my TiVo for some time now, but because of Sony's 13 partitions, I couldn't replace the A drive and utilize the extra space. I even went with an 11-partition image, but it wouldn't expand. With the new release, I was able to upgrade my old upgrade - two 30 GB drives to one 120 GB drive.

When they drop in price, I'll add a second 120 GB.

Thanks again!:cool:

Mike

ALanJay
06-17-2002, 08:42 AM
Tiger,

In your instructions you talk about ising the -l32 for the "UK Dual Drive TiVo" is that exclusively for ones that were ORIGINALLY 2 drives or also for UK models that were one drive and upgraded to 2 (or equally 2 drives then upgraded to 2 bigger drives if you see what I mean).

In my case I upgraded from a single drive UK model to 2x80Gb and now with you cool new version am thinking about a couple of 120Gb drives :)

I reckon 10C should do me (in your help) assuming there are no oddites due to using a UK model in this case...

kukrer
06-17-2002, 11:52 AM
(Bowing to the master) Great work Tiger.

Can't help but wonder if the TiVo folks have utilities this advanced :) Chalk up another one for open source.

(Too bad I already upgraded my drives the old way, still trying to finish off stuff on the old drives, swapping drives is a hassle).

Tiger
06-17-2002, 01:13 PM
Actually I asked one of the TiVo engineers about that, kukrer.. The answer is that yes they do have utilities this advanced.. It's called MFS Tools. :) I think TiVo employees accounts for about half the CDs picked up at the BBQ.

ALanJay,
I honestly don't know. I would assume any TiVo that had 2 drives when it got 2.5.5 and the new background animation. If you already have a working backup, you can skip the making a backup step.. The steps for saving your recordings don't have a difference.

Ken Yeh
06-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Tiger,

on your new MSF TOOLS 2.0, do I still need to type NOSWAP instead of press ENTER for AT&TIVO 2?

zaknafein
06-17-2002, 02:09 PM
I suspect I know the answer to this question, but I might as well ask.

If you have an added B drive, then later use mfsadd to add a larger A drive, can you revert back to your original A without restoring from backup? Is there anything changed on the old B drive that would prevent it from working with the old A drive? Clearly you would lose some recordings, I'm just wondering if it would work.

Edit: I thought about this a little harder, and realized at least one reason why it wouldn't work: the old drive wouldn't have the propper index of all the shows on the new B drive. Duh.

klyde
06-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Is there any advantage to re-do the drives with the new mfstools.2?

I have an original 30gb SA tivo. I upgraded it to 60gb then added an 80Gb some time ago. I now have 38hrs Best and 141hrs Standard . Is that the correct times I should have? Seems a little low acording to other posts. Both Samsung 5400 RPM drives.

I do get several recordings that start off stuttering for the first 10 minuits or so then clear up. The picture and audio freezes, sometimes the picture gets out of sink with the audio on the stutter. I do have a 60GB IBM 7200 RPM drive I could put in place of one of them.

thanks

kenr
06-17-2002, 02:33 PM
I've just read all of the MFS Tools 2.0 documentation and noticed the -p option for restore described as:
Attempt to optimize the partition layout for TiVo's access patterns. This will imitate the partition layout of DirecTV TiVo receivers and newer standalone receivers. The partition layout of the first drive will be such that the application data will be in the middle of the drive and the video on the outside, causing the head to have to seek less.I don't know if this is new in MFS Tools 2.0, but I know I never used this option nor did I ever see it mentioned in the Hinsdale tome.

Is there any reason that I should re-restore a drive on a DTiVo that was restored originally without the -p option? Would this have an observable effect to the user of the TiVo?

Tiger
06-17-2002, 04:31 PM
klyde, are you saying that you upgraded the A drive to 60gb with TiVoMad, then later blessed and added a B drive? If so then definately re-do it.. Upgrading a second time with a blessed drive never works. Sometimes it looks like it does, but it doesn't really.

kenr, no idea if it makes a difference. TiVo started themselves doing something similar on new systems, and so I made guesses about why and made code to act in a similar manner.

daylate
06-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Tiger,

Just last week (Thursday - Saturday, to be exact) I performed a "copy/merge" of my 80GB/40GB DirectTivo upgrade disks to a new 120GB disk using mfstools 1.0 and kept all of my recordings. No one seemed to have been aware of this possibility before (although I'm sure you were). I used the following command line:

mfstool backup -a -o - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd | mfstool restore -s 128 -i - /dev/hdb

where my old (upgraded disks) were on /dev/hdc (old master, 40gb) and /dev/hdd (old slave, 80gb) and my new disk was on /dev/hdb (I booted off of the cd on /dev/hda)

After waiting for 34.25 hours for the transfer to complete, I now have a single disk with all of my settings and recordings that seems to work just fine.

My question is, is there any reason that you know of that this disk would give me problems in the future? It seems to be structured like an original factory disk, but it reported 108 hours off the bat. All of the recordings that I've checked (I've played about 10 or so at random) work just fine. Also, it seems like I could now just bless another disk and add it in, does that sound right to you? (in which case I could have just copied the old disks to two new ones and used the new mfsadd feature in 2.0, but I digress).

Anyway, one reason I wanted to get back to one disk is to see its effect on the heat of my unit (the directivo's seem to run hot). This, in combination with a new fan, reduced my average temp from ~50c to ~42c (big improvement); I also wanted to replace my A disk which was starting to whine (it was closest to the power-supply; I think it got cooked).

Tiger
06-17-2002, 05:02 PM
I seemed to miss Ken Yeh's question.. The answer is no.. Default boot is actually no swap.

daylate,
There is absolutely no reason it will give problems. That is why MFS Tools lets you do it. However, just because you now only have one drive doesn't mean you can just bless and add a B drive. The limitation in not being able to do it has nothing to do with the lack of space or a new disk, it has to do with weather you have upgraded already. In your case, even with just the A drive (Which is the same effect BTW as if you had copied your old A to the 120 directly and used TiVoMad) you have upgraded already, and can not just bless and add a new drive. But that is what MFS Tools 2.0 is for.

dan
06-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Tiger thanks for the new utils and documentation!

I have just upgraded a Sony SA running 3.0 from 2x30GB drives to an 80 (A) and a 120 (B) using the new version of MFS Tools. I used the procedure in 10C to copy all of my data to the new drives.

My question is now how would I (and should I) enlarge my swap file space?

Thanks, Dan

happygolucky
06-17-2002, 09:48 PM
I need help! I don't understand exactly how the new mfs tools 2.0 fits in with the Hinsdale how to faq....

I do not have a cdrw burner and so I am using the floppy disk method. I had already downloaded mfs tools 1.1 and copied it to my c: drive, along with TiVoMad v.3.2 on a floppy and qunlock on another floppy.

When looking at the link to download mfs tools 2.0, there was a link for CD burners with a large file size, and a 500KB file "mfstools 2.0."

Here is my stupid question, what files do I need to download and how does this fit in with the intructions on the Hinsdale faq?

Thanks,

David

hinsdale
06-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by happygolucky
I need help! I don't understand exactly how the new mfs tools 2.0 fits in with the Hinsdale how to faq....

I do not have a cdrw burner and so I am using the floppy disk method. I had already downloaded mfs tools 1.1 and copied it to my c: drive, along with TiVoMad v.3.2 on a floppy and qunlock on another floppy.

When looking at the link to download mfs tools 2.0, there was a link for CD burners with a large file size, and a 500KB file "mfstools 2.0."

Here is my stupid question, what files do I need to download and how does this fit in with the intructions on the Hinsdale faq?

Thanks,

David

The Hinsdale How-To with instruction and links using Mfs Tools 2.0 is here:

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html

You will just require the Mfs Tools 2.0 Boot Floppy and there is a link and a batch file for easy creation listed at Step 4

klyde
06-18-2002, 01:34 AM
Tiger:
Yes. I first upgraded the 30gb to a 60gb then later blessed a 2nd 80gb drive. I got 149 hours and 38hours best. INobody will tell me if this is what a 60 and 80gb should get. It seems to be working ok. Has been for more than 6 months.

Tiger
06-18-2002, 01:57 AM
I get 146 out of 60+60, so 149 for 60+80 is a bit low..

If it is working then you got lucky.. But you are not using all the space you could be.

StanSimmons
06-18-2002, 07:12 AM
Going from a DTiVo 40+40 to 80+40, using the Hinsdale instructions, I get a "Cannot boot kernel" message....

With the original 40G A on Primary Master, a previously added 40G B on Primary Slave, and a new 80G A on Secondary Master. I did the following steps:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=1024k

mfsadd –x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb

Any idea what I did wrong?

Eskimo Pie
06-18-2002, 09:04 AM
Ok, I upgraded my Series 2 60 hour last night with a new 120GB B drive... my only problem was when I booted from the CD, I got the menu, then pressed enter, and it started unpacking some stuff or something and I got an error saying "CRC Error, System Halted"... I tried burning a new disc thinking I had a bad disk and got the same error, so I tried making a floppy using the instructions in the floppy folder on the CD and when I booted to that it went into some loop with repeating numbers scrolling up the screen... The above disks were made on my Athalon XP machine running Win XP, while the drives were in my PII 400 machine running win ME... So I tried using the CD in my ME machine to create another floppy and that floppy worked. After that, the upgrade went as planned... I can understand the boot floppy that I made on an XP machine not working on an ME machine, but I don't understand why 2 seperate CD's I burned didn't work. I used Nero and burned from an image file using the wizard. Strange...

I Know this is kinda long allready, but another question, I bought my $109 120GB drive before the MFStools 2.0 were out and now I'll want to upgrade to 2x120's in the near future... will this be an easy upgrade and will I be able to keep all my recordings? Again, that'll be keeping my new B 120GB and replacing the 60GB A drive with a 120GB one. That will work fine right?

philhu
06-18-2002, 10:38 AM
hi

I have an svr-2000, with 120/120 now, thanks to mfstools 2.0 (beta!).

I think I'd like to, for piece of mind, increase my swap space

Can I do it without the entire mfstools backup/restore? To backup/restore saving programs took 16+ hours.

Can I just increase swap space from a cmd prompt on the tivo?

failing that:
Can I take my drives and put them back in the pc to accomplish ONLY this
using the -S option in any manner?

Thanks

HTH
06-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Hmm, the unit I want to upgrade has two drives: 60 GB and 45 GB, with only 30hrs used on the 45 GB master drive. I am uncertain whether or not I applied a non-standard hack to make the rest of the 45 GB drive ext2 space (/hack), but I'm fairly confident that I did. (At the time of that marriage, TiVoMad was not an option.)

I have the drives to go 120-120, and want to keep my recordings. Can I do it while getting rid of the hack partition, or do I have to keep it?

Tiger
06-18-2002, 07:46 PM
Unless your old space + 1/4 your new space is greater than 140, then you don't need to worry about swap. IE if you had 30+60 then went to 120+120 that would be 90 + 150 / 4 or 90 + 32 = 122, so swap would not be needed. But if you had 60+60 and went to 120+120 that would be 120 + 120 / 4 = 120 + 30 = 150, so more swap would be recommended.

That said, once you use the space, you can't add swap.

HTH,
The extra partitions (/hack) is ignored by MFS Tools. You can actually copy all recordings to a new pair of drives and fill them in a single command. Just follow the instructions for going from dual drive to new larger dual drive.

tkevink
06-19-2002, 01:14 AM
Tiger:
I hope you, or somebody else, can shed some light on my upgrade problem...(This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while)

3 weeks ago, I upgraded my Dtivo to (1) 100 Gb drive, preserving recordings.
last week I bought a 120 Gb for less than the 100Gb. My original plan was to just dd from the 100 to the 120, and until I cleared my programs I was going to give up the extra 20gb.

then I read about your marvelous MFStools2.0. I thought my problems were solved! But, it didn't go so well...

I followed the instructions and tried to do the Step 10, Upgrade config. #3. It returned an error "Restore failed:Backup target not large enough for the entire backup by itself" even though my hda was a blank 120Gb and the hdc was the once upgraded 100Gb. ( The drive size were correctly reported during the os boot) I tried this from two different computers, and both with the bios autodetect on and off.

So then I tried to dd from the 100 to the 120. no problem. it boots my dtivo just like I expected it to. Then I tried to "mfsadd -x /dev/hda"

No Joy. it told me that there was no more room for partitions ( or something like that) So I did a "mfsinfo /dev/hda" it listed partitions through hda15, and said I could expand it 3 more times, but mfsadd wouldn't do it...

So then to make sure that my 120Gb drive was ok, I restored my compressed backup to it, and did a "mfsadd -x /dev/hda" and it was successful, expanding out to 126 hrs like I would expect. ( but without my recordings.)

Hopefully I have given you enough details without being confusing that you can find the path to lead me down!

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Kevin
(Whew! I just double checked, and with all the swapping, copying, etc my 100Gb still boots my dtivo with all my recordings intact)

Gomer Pyle
06-19-2002, 08:28 AM
To Tiger and hinsdale (or other experienced Linux users):

OK, I admit I am Linux clueless, but I am PC hardware/user competent.

I successfully upgraded to a 40/80 setup last May, and am thrilled to see MFS 2.0 will allow me to go to 120/80 now without losing recordings (and 120/120 down the road a little).

As stated above, I want to ugrade just my A drive from 40 to 120 GB - which I am now able to do thanks to Tiger's tools. What concerns me some is my lack of Linux prowess, and the fact the the two statements in the upgrade guides from Tiger and hinsdale that say don't screw this part up are indeed different. I believe that this is due to the fact the the HDs are not in the same IDE ports in the two methods - is it 100% true and typo free, and that both command lines are correct when used with the respective drive locations?

hinsdale
06-19-2002, 09:36 AM
The commands are the same and will work either method, just different IDE connections were used.

I am about to add a note after performing this single drive copy to pull the new drive and existing drive after making the copy and test the pair in your TiVo first (will still show same hours as originals) before performing the mfsadd expansion. This will verify you had a good dd copy before permanantly marrying/expanding the drives.

Gomer Pyle
06-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, and the new suggestion. Sounds like I have another project to do this weekend...

brott
06-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Tiger,

Thanks for the CD. I've been looking for this capability for a while. I can finally upgrade a 35-hour system with programs I can't lose.

Cheers

gardavis
06-22-2002, 11:05 AM
I started an upgrade this morning 30-120 to 120-120.

I started with the step to create and test a backup of my Sony SVR2000 3.0 system.

I mounted the restored A drive (not the B) backup to verify the backup was OK. It booted up. The first thing I did was to click the List on the remote and it took a long time to display the list of recordings (I am aware that the recordings list is there but the actual recordings are not).

All remote commands and even the displays were very slow, like some process was using up the CPU time. Otherwise, the Tivo did respond OK.

Any ideas on this slowness of the backup?

I am now in the long dd copy step.

Thanks,
Gary

tivoscooter
06-22-2002, 01:41 PM
I upgraded my single-drive 30G Tivo to a 30/80 with MFS2.0 last week. Today I'm upgrading to 30/120. I dd'ed the 80 to the 120 to save my recordings. Everything went well except for expansion...

mfsadd -x /dev/hda /dev/hdb

reports...

Nothing to add
111hrs

Any ideas why mfsadd does not see the additional space?

stormsweeper
06-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by tivoscooter
I upgraded my single-drive 30G Tivo to a 30/80 with MFS2.0 last week. Today I'm upgrading to 30/120. I dd'ed the 80 to the 120 to save my recordings. Everything went well except for expansion...

mfsadd -x /dev/hda /dev/hdb

reports...

Nothing to add
111hrs

Any ideas why mfsadd does not see the additional space?

are you sure you have the right device names? you had Tivo A (the 30GB) on primary master, and Tivo B (the 120GB) as primary slave?

adavidw
06-23-2002, 03:07 AM
Okay, here's a stupid question.

How do I find out if I used TiVoMad in my last upgrade?

I upgraded my DirecTiVo maybe 10 months to a year ago by adding an 80 gig B drive to it. To accomplish this, I downloaded the boot disk referenced in Hinsdale's how-to at the time, and then divorced the 80 gig drive from my standalone. Then, I made the small backup of the combo A drive as specified. Then, blessed the 80 gig and put it in the TiVo.

I'm concerned because it appears that if I had used MFS Tools, I would be in a better position for future upgrades, since the memory usage would be smaller, right?

So how can I tell?

-Aaron

ADent
06-23-2002, 03:18 AM
If had a single drive unit from the factory you probably just blessed the second drive.

MFSTools 2.0 only reduces the memory required if you get a GSOD (Green Screen of Death) and the DTiVo already come with more memory than a standalone (where the lack of memory/VM will cause the GSOD to fail at around 140GB unless swap is added).

saboyce
06-23-2002, 06:20 AM
When I download the static binaries, it seems that I am getting the previous version of MFS Tools...
-it displays "MFSTools 1.0" when it is run
-I am unable to use the "mfstool mfsadd..." command
-when running "mfstools restore..." the -x flag is not a valid flag.

What in the heck am I doing wrong? I upgraded my previous Sony SVR2000 a couple of times, so I'm not a complete newb. HELP!

TheCatcher
06-23-2002, 01:43 PM
GREAT WORK!!!!

This worked fantastic! I just upgraded my 14GB (original Quantum drive) / 60GB (Maxtor Drive) to 120GB / 120GB (both Western Digital Drives) without any problems at all! All my programs and settings are still intact and the menus are radically faster. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow. And at one point when one of the source drive's IRQ timed out - the MFSBackup software perforemed a drive reset and everything continued just fine.

My available time went from 22 / 71 hours to 89 / 298 hours.

A note for others attempting a similar upgrade - allow enough time to do the copy. the copy took 8 1/2 hours on my Dragonn Ultra AMD 1900+. But well worth the time!

GREAT WORK!!! and THANK YOU!!!!!

Sparks666
06-23-2002, 05:20 PM
do I understand that menus's are faster using 2.0?

massimj
06-23-2002, 08:31 PM
After downloading 2.0 from the author's site and having that fail to boot on my PC, I then took the 2.0 floppy maker. The floppy maker worked and the MFSadd went with one hitch. I was following the instructions for one drive, and the /dev/hdc had to be changed to /dev/hdb because with one drive, the large drive is the secondary on the primary. When I changed the command, it reported the gained space and I knew that it was susccessful.

I then set the new drive to master again and reinstalled it in my Tivo. After boot-up I noticed that I had 88 hours at basic, but only 23 or so at Best. I use to have about 9 at best, so why wasn't the gain at best as good as the gain at basic?

I tried to play some things that I had recorded on the old drive and they started playing. Then a scheduled season pass started to record. That is when I lost the sound that came from buttons being pushed on the remote. I then tried to play what was being recorded and the screen went black. This iswhere I did a complete reset to start back at square one with programming. Did I follow the right path here? I won't know how well it works until the reset is completed and I program some new season passes.

So, I have no idea why I could repeatedly make 1.0 CDROM's and get them to boot, but no matter how many times I downloaded and recorded 2.0, I could never get it to boot. Thank god for the floppy being so easy to use.

I don't know if I want to add the new 120 GB Western digiatl to the 80, I might upgrade the A: drive to the 120 after a little while and keep it a single drive unit. Less noise, less power being drawn, and less chance for something to go wrong.

I still don't see any benefit to the added memory I installed this afternoon.

Thanks to anyone who sheds light on the problem I had with the 2.0 CDrom not booting.

Joe

saboyce
06-23-2002, 10:04 PM
I, too, went ahead and went the floppy route (since I ran out of CDs over the weekend) and everything went through without a hitch. Evidently, the static images on Tyger's site (and www.9thtee.com) are only partially updated, as the README is for 2.0, but the mfstool is still 1.0. I am not sure about the ISO.

SO, after spending a long night of swapping drives and cussing, I am finally back in the TiVo-action with a possible 306 hours of recording.

SABoyce
Series2 w/ dual Maxtor 120GBs

HTH
06-24-2002, 11:46 AM
HTH,
The extra partitions (/hack) is ignored by MFS Tools. You can actually copy all recordings to a new pair of drives and fill them in a single command. Just follow the instructions for going from dual drive to new larger dual drive.
I think I need a two-stage method, as the CD is booted as secondary slave and I don't have four interfaces to hook up all four drives at once. I've already disconnected my Windows drive. Are the instructions you refer to the README on the CD?

Would I make a backup piped to a restore of the two drives (60 & 30 of a 45) as primary master and slave to a single 120 GB drive as secondary master (with optimized layout), then shutdown, disconnect the drives, hook up the new 120 as primary master and the second 120 GB drive as primary slave, then expand both drives?

I fear if I go the floppy route I might make a mistake and wipe a wrong drive. Plus the inconvenience of having to boot into Windows to make the floppy.

kazymyr
06-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Tiger,

IIRC you stated at some time in the past (correct me if I'm wrong) that mfstools would be able to run on the TiVo itself... Is it still true? Would it be too much to ask for a cross-compiled binary...? :D

TheCatcher
06-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Sparks666,

I'm not 100% certain that the HD upgrade with MFSTools 2.0 is what increased the speed of my menus. Apparently the evening before I did the HD upgrade my TiVo 2.5 software was updated to TiVo 3.0 software but I didn't notice it till after I did the HD upgrade.

But the initial post in this thread indicates that performance may be increased by the doing an upgrade with the MFSTools 2.0.

All I know is I was expecting a major slowdown when I increased the HD space form 75GB to 240GB. I am VERY happy to find out I was wrong and it is so much faster.

Tiger
06-24-2002, 01:44 PM
HTH,
Who says you need to boot Windows to make the floppy? From Linux:
dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0 (Or whatever the image is called)

As to overwriting the wrong device, if you do the backup to restore method, it is virtually impossible to do so, as long as you do not repeat the same device name for both. The backup will not even start if either device is wrong.

Kazymyr,
It is actually just 2 commands away to make such a thing.. But it is completely untested.

HTH
06-24-2002, 09:21 PM
HTH,
Who says you need to boot Windows to make the floppy? From Linux:
dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0 (Or whatever the image is called)
Could it be because the floppy image isn't included on the CD image? At least, I couldn't find it on the CD. To get a floppy image to the PC, I'll have to either boot into Windows for network connectivity there or burn the image as a file on another CD with my Mac. I'd be a shame to waste a whole CD just to store a single 1440 KiB file. (My Windows installation is buggy and likes to spontaneously restart if the HDTV acting as my monitor is on, and I don't have a Linux installation on it yet..)

I'll try booting up one of my older Macs which still have a 3.5" drive to see if Disk Copy can create a floppy. I'm in the stages of reworking my LAN topology so I can get my TiVos doing updates over ADSL, which means my PC is off-line.

I'd recommend future CD images include the floppy image as a file for creation of a boot floppy under the CD in addition to it being available as a separate download. Even on a 3" CD, storing a 10.3 MiB image on a 185 MiB CD is already an awful waste of space. Unless you have one of those new Yamaha drives that can burn images onto the unused portion of the data side of the CD (http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/24/1227200.shtml?tid=126). "Chevron one encoded."

TheCatcher
06-25-2002, 02:15 AM
The CD image that I downloaded included a sub-directory called floppy and the floppy image (called mfstools.img) was in it. I created the floppy from it and performed the upgrade.

kazymyr
06-25-2002, 09:14 AM
BTW, you don't even have to burn the CD to extract the floppy image from the ISO image. Here's how:

In Windows, use Winimage to open the .iso and extract files from it.

In Linux, assuming you have the mfstools.iso in your home directory, do this:

cd ~
mkdir iso
su
(enter root password)
mount -o loop mfstools2.iso iso
cp iso/floppy/mfstools.img .
umount iso
exit
dd if=mfstools.img of=/dev/hda bs=18k

and you end-up with the mfstools floppy.

JPriller
06-25-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by massimj
Thanks to anyone who sheds light on the problem I had with the 2.0 CDrom not booting.I've no light to shed, but it's happening to me too, and I also had no problems burning the 1.0 CD last fall. I downloaded the image okay and burned two CDs, but neither will boot on any of my three PCs. I can see the CD directory contents fine from Win2000, but all I get trying to boot from the CDs is a "boot failure" message.

I'm using Ahead Nero 5.5, and "Burn Image" off the file menu. The data mode defaults to 1 and block size to 2048, as desired. I've got a PC with Adaptec software at work, maybe I'll try that.

[edit: found some answers on this thread. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63701)]

JPriller
06-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by JPriller
[edit: found some answers on this thread. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63701)] I downloaded the non-Joliet version of the boot CD image mentioned on the above thread, located here (http://www.tyger.org/MFS/2.0/mfstools2noJ.iso), and that boots up fine.

HTH
06-25-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TheCatcher
The CD image that I downloaded included a sub-directory called floppy and the floppy image (called mfstools.img) was in it. I created the floppy from it and performed the upgrade.
I checked mine. My /floppy directory (on the noJ image at least) was empty.

Turns out Disk Tools for the Mac will recognize the floppy image and create the disk. This was on a Mac running Mac OS 9 and with a built-in floppy drive. Upgraded to 298 hours and change, more than doubling my existing capacity on my primary TiVo. Now I have a bunch of movies scheduled to record.

But for some reason it worked only once, and I had to make the disk a second time with the Mac to get it working again. I made a point to write protect it the second time.

charled
06-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Another happy customer! Last night I upgraded my two DirecTiVos with MFSTools 2.0!

When there were 80GB drives for $90 a couple of weeks ago, I thought about purchasing. But I decided to wait, because I really wanted 120GB drives so that I had room for 50 movies and 50 hours of regular programming on each TiVo (the 50/50 rule). So I waited, and got in on the 120GB for $109 deal at outpost. What a great deal! 4 hours after starting, MFSTools 2.0 got me to two TiVos with 146 hours each! Now I have room for about 100 hours of regular programming and 100 movies. My own personal TV server….mmmmmmm.

One weird thing, probably not related to the upgrade, I have the two TiVos on two remote addresses (TiVo1 on 1 and TiVo2 on 2). However, last night in the middle of the night, TiVo1 got jealous and changed its remote address to 2. Hmmmm….

I bought two Sony learning remotes for $110 from CC. I also jumped on the Minidishes.com deal for the Sony MRD-D1 video distribution for $90. What a steal, I bought 2 of them. And, you get the IR targets with them! So, now my system is two TiVos with about 300 hours total and the ability to watch them anywhere in the house (and control them in my family room and my bedroom). I’m in TV heaven! All I need is time to watch. I only watch about 5 hours a week, so maybe a little overkill….but now I get to choose what, when, and where!

massimj
06-26-2002, 11:33 AM
I thought I was happy with one 80 GB drive , that added 4X of time for me, and the memory upgrade was worth while too. I am not going to put the new 120 GB drive I got from Outpost to my current Tivo, but I might put it in my second unit.
I did order the new Blue remote that controls two Tivo's, and has a TV/Input button so I can change the input port on the TV without picking up another remote.
The bad news was when I tried to get my Sony AV2000 to control my Tivo, or my Go Video DVD, or even a new Panasonic TV. I could get none of them to work with it. I found a remote for $17 that will do it all, but I don't like the layout of the buttons, and it will only control both Tivo's together, it can't distinguish between the two. I got fed up wit hthe AV-2000, and the new $17 remote. That's when I broke down and sent Tivo the money to send me one the the new Blue remote.

NeZorf
06-26-2002, 08:33 PM
When upgrading to a new drive while preserving recordings, is there a rule that says how much bigger the new drive has to be for all the -xxxx options to work? (ie, -xzpi)

Most here are talking about upgrading that 30hr to a 120gb, so that is no challenge, but I want to know if upgrading that 13gb to a 15gb drive will work. Or what about from a drive that has (ie) LBA 100,000 to a new drive that has (ie) LBA 100,500, will that work? Not that I am upgrading from a 13gb to a 15gb myself, but I didn't see any mention of this in the MFSTOOL 2.0 hinsdale guide.

The reason I ask is because of the slow menu speed I am experiencing and that I want to use the -p option to see if restructuring the partitions will help me out on my SA Tivo|1. So can I use the option 10#5 with the same exact HD models or does it have to be a little bigger, and how much bigger?

xiaoyu
06-26-2002, 11:57 PM
Hi Tager,

Can your Mfs Tools 2.0 do all the things that Kazymyr's Boot Cd v2.6i does and more? I have Philips HDR-112 (software version 1.2.1 ?). Can I use your bootable cd to make backup and restoring?
I have CD-RW. Can you explain the relationship in between Kazymyr's Boot Cd v2.6i, Tiger's Tools 1.1 and Tiger's bootable Cd 2.0?

Xiaoyu,

Andy in NYC
06-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Massimj

got www.remotecentral.com and pick up the ccf/programming files for your AV2000. The codes for these devices may not be currently available to you, but with a download (free) they are available.

Andrew

I thought I was happy with one 80 GB drive , that added 4X of time for me, and the memory upgrade was worth while too. I am not going to put the new 120 GB drive I got from Outpost to my current Tivo, but I might put it in my second unit.
I did order the new Blue remote that controls two Tivo's, and has a TV/Input button so I can change the input port on the TV without picking up another remote.
The bad news was when I tried to get my Sony AV2000 to control my Tivo, or my Go Video DVD, or even a new Panasonic TV. I could get none of them to work with it. I found a remote for $17 that will do it all, but I don't like the layout of the buttons, and it will only control both Tivo's together, it can't distinguish between the two. I got fed up wit hthe AV-2000, and the new $17 remote. That's when I broke down and sent Tivo the money to send me one the the new Blue remote.

massimj
06-27-2002, 02:08 PM
The files I found at remote central were just a copy of what I got with my AV2000. I even went to Sony to find codes with no luck. Sonly has the worst support in the industry, but I love their products.

NeZorf
06-27-2002, 02:25 PM
A question about mfsbackup | mfsrestore while saving recordings.

Would deleting the suggestions make the process faster?
Or does mfs 2.0 just copy every sectore anyways like dd in this backup/restore case?

Kind of late for me as I have started this process already and it estimates it will take me a couple of days for it to finish. :( I have a whole bunch of suggestions that I don't care for, would be a good idea to CRT-C the process and go back into Tivo to delete the suggestions and rerun the command??

If it would be faster, we should update the hinsdale guide to note this to delete suggestions to make it faster....

massimj
06-27-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm not saying I can answer your question, but I want to share an observation I had when I did my first system.
The first time I did the dd I deleted my suggestions and and everything except for a few recordings. The dd ran faster than when I ran the disk back in my Tivo for about four days and did another dd.

If the dd was a bit for bit copy of the drive, then why would it matter what was on the disk in the first place. Why would the time change to do the same task the second time?

I did learn (from the Tivo guru's) that I didn't need my BIOS to handle the drives in order to use MFStools, or do the dd of the disks. You only need the Bios if you are going to boot from the hard drive. booting from the CDrom requires the BIOS, but once you get past that, the BIOS is not needed to handle any of the hard drive tasks.

In any case, I didn't care about how long it took, it's just nice to know when to come back if you are waiting on it.

Joe

HTH
06-27-2002, 05:00 PM
If the dd was a bit for bit copy of the drive, then why would it matter what was on the disk in the first place. Why would the time change to do the same task the second time?
It is a sector-for-sector copy of the drive, and what you delete shouldn't matter. My guess is that, on the second copy, you had DMA enabled, or the drives were on separate buses (primary and secondary) the second time but were master and slave on the same bus the first time.

Deletion should only affect backup & restore time with MFS Tools if you're copying all recordings.

KoG
06-27-2002, 05:57 PM

Upgrade both drives on AT&T and Series 2 TiVo
Have an AT&T or Series 2 TiVo, and getting jealous of your friend with 344 hours, while you are stuck with a mere 200? Not anymore! Now Series 2 TiVos can be as large as Series 1! As far as MFS Tools treats them for upgrading, all TiVos are basically the same. There is no need to have a separate tool for standalone, DirecTiVo, and Series 2. One tool does it all.

Tiger,

Thank you for releasing such a wonderful tool for upgrading Tivos. I was able to upgrade my friend's Tivo to dual 120GB while preserving the previously recorded shows. Worked without a hitch.

My question to you is, since this utility will work with Series 2 Tivo's, can it handle those >137GB drives? I believe the Series2 units have kernel support for those drives. I don't have a Series2 or any 160GB drives but was curious if you've tried it or have heard from anyone who has tried making a dual 160GB Series2 Tivo.

-KoG

DrBunsen
06-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Woohoo!! This (early) morning I went from 60GB+80GB to 100GB+100GB (and went from 7200RPM drives to cooler 5400RPM drives in the process). This was for a Sony SAT-T60 DTivo. The copy took almost exactly 4 hours for my almost-full drives, but from what I can tell all recordings came across fine. I went from 124 hours to 180 hours.

<edit>
I got a message from someone saying that he'd done a double-drive upgrade and that it took (or was looking to take) 2 days to complete and that he'd heard that others had the same problem. So, in case this helps or doesn't help, here's 'zactly what I did:

0) Read Hinsdale's instructions for MFS Tools v2. Decided to try section 10's option 5 (upgrading 2 drives at the same time).
1) Pulled 60GB+80GB drives from DTiVo.
2) Set them up as master & slave (not cable select) on primary IDE channel.
3) Set up destination drives as master and slave on secondary IDE channel.
4) Turned on PC (with Abit BE6-II motherboard, 1GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM).
5) Checked to make sure all drives were recognized properly by the BIOS. BIOS reported correct size and that they were all running at 33MHz UDMA speeds.
6) Since I'd set the original drives' acoustic management setting to 128, which sacrifices some performance for quietness during head seeks, I booted with a DOS floppy and used ATAAC.EXE to check settings (original drives (Seagate ATA IV drives) were still set to 128, and I was surprised to find that the new drives (CompUSA's boxed Maxtor drives) were set to 192), then set all acoustic dampening to OFF for all drives to maximize performance. (I wrote a long post about ATAAC.EXE about 8 to 10 months ago, do a search for it if you're not familiar with the utility.)
7) Booted with the MFStools2 floppy, and checked to make sure that it reported the correct drive sizes.
8) Did this command line (I changed the command that's in Hinsdale's instructions only slightly, by making taking out the extra space in the places where there were two spaces - I don't think that that should make any difference):

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore –s 128 -xzpi - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

9) Did my estimates and saw that it was going to take about 4 hours. Set my alarm and woke up 4.5 hours later (after multiple snoozes <grin>) and it was done. Did CTRL-ALT-DEL to shut down.
10) Booted with DOS disk and used ATAAC.EXE to set acoustic management on the new drives to 128 (quietest level).
11) Installed new drives in DTiVo and it came up beautifully, with my tons of recordings and suggestions intact.
</edit>

Thanks guys!

Bunsen out....

xiaoyu
06-30-2002, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I used Tiger's Mfs Tools 2.0 to convert dual drive TiVo(upgraded from single) to a large single drive. Everything looked OK, until I tested the backup. The TiVo went to Re-Boot loop between "recorder is starting up..." and "almost there...".
According to "How-To", it seams to me there is a potential Re-Boot Loop problem with Mfs Tools 1.0 and it suggested to use Mfs Toos 1.1. I am using Mfs Tools 2.0 now, why does it still appear the problem? My TiVo software version is 1.3.1.

Xiaoyu,

kenr
06-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Your problem is that your using old 1.3.1 software doesn't support non-Quantum drives unless you add runideturbo=false to the rc.sysinit file.

xiaoyu
06-30-2002, 04:10 PM
Hi kenr,

I did performed the step that you mentioned. Without doing so, TiVo was stalled at the point "Recording is starting up...". I used Kazymyr's Boot Cd to perform that step due to I couldn't download the TiVOMad v3.2 (web site is not available). I think that is OK, since I did use Kazymyr's Boot Cd to practise once and worked for software 1.2.1 with non-Quantum drive.

Xiaoyu,

StuRothrock
07-01-2002, 03:24 PM
Well. I read the complete thread and ws surprised not to find my problem addresses. I screwed up my partition 4 (3.0 installed) rc.sysinit so I had to remove the drive and use the boot cd with mfstools 2.0. The root partitions were not recognized. Tried booting with byteswap and kernel paniced.

Soooo. Hmmm. Booted with boot cd with mfstools 1.2 and chose noswap and partition 4 was mountable. Partition 7 was never mountable after 2.5 to 3.0 upgrade. Don't attempt without runmyworld=false and handcraft=false!! Been there, did that, only once. >

hda fat32
hdb
hdc single drive restore from combined dual drive 2.5
hdd cdrom

Don't know if anyone can shed some light on this. Anyway, I hope it helps someone else out. Thanks for everyone's help.

BTW It was insmod -f nfs-2.0.1 or mount ip.ip.ip.ip:/tivo1 /var/nfs that caused rc.sysinit not to complete the exec bash command. #>#?

HTH
07-01-2002, 06:18 PM
Well, I'm getting fed up with my second TiVo that was expanded with MFS Tools 1.x from a 14hr image. As disk utilization grew through the recording of suggestions, stuttering has again increased to intolerable levels. Next upgrade, I'm taking my other TiVo's older configuration and imaging it with MFS Tools 2.0 to my problematic TiVo, rerunning Guided Setup to change source, and reprogramming all my Season Passes and Wishlists. That image is based upon an image of my mother's 30hr TiVo.

And I'll probably end up enabling italic mode as the different TiVo Central backgrounds will no longer be the distinguishing characteristic (14hr has "PHILIPS Presents TiVo Central" in the animation, 30hr has "TiVo Central TiVo Central"). That, and no SUID "Welcome to the TiVolution" recording.

It's like there's just something wrong with expanded 14hr TiVo images that 3.0 just doesn't like.

Could MFS Tools 2.0 run a backup and restore to the same drives simultaneously, potentially repairing whatever problems I currently have? Running mfsfix on the PC? Note that previous attempts using earlier versions failed.

alan
07-02-2002, 03:57 AM
I'm using Tiger's 2.0 Mfs Tools Boot Floppy and noticed something that I didn't notice on the older versions of the Boot CDs.

When I boot from the boot floppy, I see the hd[a-d] partitions fly by, but when I use SHIFT+PAGE-UP to go back and look for those lines they are missing from the output. The only size information I can see is the box left over from the initial BIOS configuration dump.

Am I doing something wrong or does the floppy boot work differently from the CD boot?

I would test the new CD boot, but I blew away my NT partition and either my CD burner is so old (Phillips 2000) or my Windows 95 system is so unstable that I can't reliably burn any CD's in Windows 95 anymore. My older Boot CD's were burnt with Nero on my NT partition.

Oh, and by the way. You guys are gods!

I pulled my A drive out of my DTiVo.
Backed it up to my C: drive.
Popped in my 80G Maxtor.
Restored to the new Maxtor.
Popped it in my DTiVo, Tested, it worked.

Now I'm trying out the "dd" route. Seeing how saving everything works.

Can I say it again? You guys are gods!

gardavis
07-02-2002, 07:20 AM
I noticed that problem too. I had to watch the screen closely to see that the drive's size was correct because after it scrolled off the screen, I was not able to back up to it. The last "x" lines of the scroll buffer were cleared.

alan
07-02-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by gardavis
I noticed that problem too. I had to watch the screen closely to see that the drive's size was correct because after it scrolled off the screen, I was not able to back up to it. The last "x" lines of the scroll buffer were cleared.
It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one seeing it. :D

Nothing comes out after the last: PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

Unfortunately, right after that line is where the ide probing output begins.

Anyway, I dd'd my 40G DTiVo A drive onto a 80G drive overnight (I went to bed). This morning I popped it in and tested it. Then mfsadd'ed it and finished up. Now I have 69 hours instead of 35 hours showing in the DTiVo status screen. I'm a happy man! :D

Thanks Tiger! I used your 2.0 Mfs Tools Boot Floppy.

Thanks Hinsdale! I followed your "new" instructions.

alan
07-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by HTH
...My guess is that, on the second copy, you had DMA enabled, or the drives were on separate buses (primary and secondary) the second time but were master and slave on the same bus the first time....
HTH,

Does having DMA enabled slow transfers down?

Or does this mean that a dd from Master to/from Slave is faster than going between Primary and Secondary drives? If so, why does that happen?

I would have thought going between Primary and Secondary controllers would be faster because I thought Primary and Secondary were two separate controllers. I also thought that piping two dd's together would have gotten the controllers going full speed. Something like this:

dd if=/dev/hda bs=1024k | dd of=/dev/hdc bs=1024k

that is assuming that the pipe could take a 1024k write without causing an I/O block.

HTH
07-02-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by alan
Does having DMA enabled slow transfers down?

Or does this mean that a dd from Master to/from Slave is faster than going between Primary and Secondary drives? If so, why does that happen?
Actually, I got your first and second times reversed. I thought you said the second time was faster than the first. I see now that I misread it.

bidger
07-03-2002, 04:43 AM
Well, I can finally celebrate. I'm a little hurt that the Staples rebate for
the hd came before I finished the project, but I'll take it. I checked the jumpers and four had gotten smooshed somewhere along the process(on
the original hd). I straightened them out, connected everything, powered up, and *ping* GSOD! I didn't panic & it rebooted and I know have 30+ hrs.
at Best and 109 at Basic! Finally!! I tried to remove my previous post. but
for some reason I'm not being allowed, so please ignore it.

cameronj
07-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Edit - found it

springtyme
07-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi!

I have an SA 3.0 w/ a 15+60. I have another SA for hacking. Can I make an unmarried 15mb (image) or prefer direct copy with out divorcing my 15/60?

I have video on my 15/60 I'd like to be able to access on the other SA 15 gig drive.

But i don't want to effect the original 15/60.

Thanks

Jerry

Savard
07-04-2002, 01:14 PM
I backed up both of my 2x60GB TiVos and noticed a very large difference in backup file size between the Sony and Philips. The Philips backup was about 415MB and the Sony backup was around 170MB. In each case I used the same backup command and used level 6 compression.

I also did a backup of the original A drives from each unit (which were stored on a shelf since I upgraded quite a while back) and got basically the same results: Philips backup around 415MB and the Sony around 170MB.

Anyone else notice something similar? Why such a large difference? The Philips was originally a 14Hr unit that my wife won in the TiVo essay contest a couple years back. The Sony of course was a retail 30Hr unit.

NeZorf
07-05-2002, 12:17 AM
I just posted this on the "upgraded tivo very slow" thread. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65945) (some points in the post below refers to stuff said in that thread, but thought it might be here as well as it relates to MFSTOOLS 2.0. Hope to hear your thoughts on this)
======================================

After experimenting with the MFSTOOLS 2.0 utility for my upgrade and reading the threads, I think I might have a connection to the source of some of these problems.

But first I just want to say that Tiger did a really awesome job to come up with the MFSTOOLS 2.0. and that his program has help a lot of people get on board.

The command I used for upgrading from two drives to two new larger drives:
mfsbackup -Tao ..... .... | mfsrestore -s 128 -xzpi ... ...

All shows seems to be playback ok on the new drives.
All seems fine until I would notice it would sometimes hang and crash. Sometimes crashing and rebooting by itself. Sometimes going through the menu and then a hard crash, requiring a reboot by me. And then the problem of the listing of programs in the search by name would generate a random list of repeating shows, and sometimes no shows at all. The wishlist searching also produced no shows for wishlists. My indexing after a call took a long time. I have since blown away that setup, I didn't see this thread to check the swap partition logs. But I have no doubt that was it, from what you guys are saying.

I believe that the other threads of:
1 the slow menus,
2 search by name coming up empty/messed,
3 wishlists producing no results,
4 indexing after a call taking an enormous amount of time (days, not the usual ~1hr)

are all related to the MFSTOOLS 2.0 use of the switches involved in the backup/restore command process: -xzpi

Especially on the -p switch.

Here (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=559332#post559332) is a post from the main 2.0 thread on what the -p switch does. That it attempts to reorganize the partition layout of series 1 systems to be similar to what the layout of series 2 systems.

I think it is possible that there is a bug in this part of the program where it messes up the swap partition (it could mess up more partitions that we don't know yet)

So that is why there are all there threads poping up after the MFSTOOLS 2.0 came out. The fact that v3.0 came out at the same time and the weird dial-up failed/interrupted error we experienced a few weeks ago only continues to dilute the source of the these problems.

Back to my experiment, after all the problems that I was having, I redid the upgrade with the "dd" linux copying utility and then used the "mfsadd -x" expand command. and so far the systems has been as stable as it was before the upgrade, and all the functions reported above are operating normally.

Of course there are probably many more people with perfectly working Tivos after using the MFSTOOLS 2.0 commands, and every Tivo system is a little different, so it would be best to use MFSTOOLS 1.1/dd when possible, after Tiger has looked more into this.

bidger
07-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Please pardon my manners. I now realise after seeing my previous post re
upgrade success that I neglected to thank all those who helped make it
possible. I was pretty tired when I posted ( I can see I wrote "know" when
I meant "now") and wanted to correct that oversite.

cmoidel
07-06-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by NeZorf
After experimenting with the MFSTOOLS 2.0 utility for my upgrade and reading the threads, I think I might have a connection to the source of some of these problems.

The command I used for upgrading from two drives to two new larger drives:
mfsbackup -Tao ..... .... | mfsrestore -s 128 -xzpi ... ...

I believe that the other threads of: the slow menus, search by name coming up empty/messed, wishlists producing no results, indexing after a call taking an enormous amount of time (days, not the usual ~1hr) are all related to the MFSTOOLS 2.0 use of the switches involved in the backup/restore command process: -xzpi

Last week I upgraded my 14hr Philips Series 1 Tivo (running 3.0) using MFSTools 2.0. I replaced the original A drive with a 120 MB Western Digital drive. I didn't have any problems doing the upgrade and at first my tivo seemed to be working wonderfully. I used the same command line options that NeZorf used. I grew the swap to 128 MB and used the -p option.

However, this week my Tivo has been flakey. It has been rebooting for no reason at least once a day and almost every time I try to search by name I come up with no results. Something is definitely wrong, but I don't know what. (My season passes seem to be working just fine though. Also, I have never seen the GSOD after my Tivo reboots.)

Should I give up on MFSTools 2.0 and go back to 1.1? Please help!

HTH
07-06-2002, 06:41 PM
I've found my 14hr image doesn't like being upgraded under 2.5.1 and 3.0. Even when rebuilt with MFS Tools 1.1. I ended up having to use a 30hr base image.

embeem
07-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Based on my experience mfstools 2.0 seems to have a few flaws in the way it rebuilds MFS. It seems that the rebuilt partitions fail fsfix, infact it crashed fsfix when I tried. This means that if anything causes the tivo to go GSOD it'll fail to repair itself and get stuck in a reboot loop misleading people to think that the drive had gone bad.

I don't have enough resources to really test this and make sure it's an mfstools 2.0 problem so I need people to verify.

After upgrading with mfstools 2.0 run mfsassert to force a green screen and then wait to see if it recovers or gets stuck in a loop of 'reboot, gsod'. As there's a chance you'll get stuck on a green screen I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you're willing to take the risk and recover the system without using mfstools 2.0

(I've tried emailing tiger but he has yet to comment on the issues after a week)

cmoidel
07-07-2002, 05:56 PM
After reading a post by stormsweeper on TiVo Upgrade Center > upgraded TiVo very sloooow (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65945) I checked the logs on my Tivo (using the backdoors) and found that there is a problem with my swap partition.

I see:
Activating swap space
Unable to find swap-space signature
swapon: Invalid argument

I'm assuming that the lack of swap space is screwing up indexing on my Tivo. :mad:

Does everyone using MFSTools 2.0 experience this? OR does it only happen to people that tried to grow their swap space from 64 to 128MB??

tacohell36
07-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Restore has been going for abot 2-1/ hours.
How long does it take?

I am using a virgin image backup from a "single drive unit" and want to restore to a dual drive unit.

This is my setup:
I have a backup image store in my dos drive "hda" about 230 megs.

hda: dos drive setup as Master with backed up image
hdb: 120 gig drive setup as Slave
hdc: 120 gig drive new "A" drive setup as Master
hdd: cdrom setup as Slave

After I booted up using the MFS tool 2.0 CD, and pressed enter a couple of times, I issued the following commands:

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

then the commands to restore the backup

mfsrestore -s 128 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo25.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdb

now the screen reads:

Starting restore
Uncompressed backup size: 816 megabytes
Restoring 9 of 816 megabytes (1.12%)
(1060.53% Compression) this numbers keep going up and down every second.

Does these all look correct and how long should it take?

totaltech
07-09-2002, 09:42 AM
I finally upgraded my Sony SAT-T60 and don't see any of the issues you have seen.

I was originally going to just add a 100GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (got it for $99 at CompUSA) to the 40GB that was already in the TIVO but when I saw MFS Tools 2.0 was available and offered a single step one to two drive upgrade I figured I would pick up a Maxtor 80GB 5400 RPM drive at Office Depot for $70 (on sale this week - $119 - $50 rebate).

I wanted to preserve my recordings so MFS Tools 2.0 was the answer for me.

I put an ATA-66 IDE controller in the PC so I would have an extra 4 IDE ports so I could not have an issue with the CD-ROM drive and the 3 hard drives.

I put the original drive on one channel and the other two on the other channel on the ATA-66 card. The original drive was hdg and the two new drives were hde and hdf. Used the command listed in the Hinsdale drive and increased the swap to 512MB.

mfsbackup/mfsrestore as a single command line command took 62 minutes for 38MB. Shutdown, put the drives back in the TiVo, reconnected everything and powered up.

Now says up to 168 hours and tried playing back several of the shows in Now Playing that were on the unit. All that I tried worked fine. Also enabled backdoors and looked at the log file - no problems noted with swap.

I will obviously monitor it over the next couply of weeks (have the 40GB on the shelf if I need it and need to recopy to the two new drives).

Thank you Tiger and Hinsdale! What an easy upgrade! Only took an hour and twenty minutes. Ten minutes to remove the drives, an hour for the backup and ten minutes to put everything back. And most of the time, I was ignoring the TiVo completely. I checked the clock when I started the backup/restore, waited until it was 10% done, checked the clock again (6 minutes) and then figured I would check it at about an hour. When I went back to the unit, it was 98% done at 1 hour and I waited for it to completed (a couple of minutes). Did an mfsinfo to check the capacity, rebooted with byte swapping, checked with pdisk to make sure there was 512MB of swap and then shut down. Put the drives back in the TiVo, put the cover on and reconnected. Worked like a charm!

Now I have one TiVo with up to 230 hours and another with up to 168 hours. Fantastic!

cameronj
07-09-2002, 10:03 AM
I've got another thread addressing this, but this thread seems to be very popular and I'm praying someone else who has had a similar experience will read this and be able to help... Here's the issue:

Followed Hinsdale's instructions for my Sony SVR2000. 30 hour unit, adding a second drive (80 gigs). Throughout the install process the drive was reporting 33 gigs in the bios. I ignored it (since I didnt see anywhere in the instructions showing how to fix it) and just went along with the install.

Sure enough, on install in the Tivo all I had was 63 gigs! Aieee! Can anyone give me help with this? I did have to qunlock, but I presume that had nothing to do with it. I'm going to go back into the bios and check things out, but I dont really expect to find anything. I have a maxtor 80 gig drive.

(((((THEN....))))))

Get a load of what I just found:

"The Maxtor Diamond Max drives 4K080H4, 4K060H3, 4K040H2 (aka D540X-4K) are identical to the drives 4D080H4, 4D060H3, 4D040H2 (aka D540X-4D), except that the jumper settings differ. A Maxtor FAQ specifies the Master/Slave/CableSelect settings for them, but the capacity clip jumper for the "4K" drives seems to be undocumented. Nils Ohlmeier reports that he experimentally finds that it is the J42 jumper ("reserved for factory use") closest to the power connector. (The "4D" drives use the J46 jumper, like all other Maxtor drives.)

However, it may be that this undocumented jumper acts like the IBM jumper: the machine boots correctly, but the disk has been clipped to 33 GB and setmax -d 0 does not help to get full capacity back. And the IBM solution works: do not use any disk-clipping jumpers, but first put the disk in a machine with non-broken BIOS, soft-clip it with setmax -m 66055248 /dev/hdX, then put it back in the first machine, and after booting run setmax -d 0 /dev/hdX to get full capacity again. "

The drive I have IS one of the ones in the list above, and it DOES 'clip' the drive at 33 gigs.

AIEEEE! Help!

DBordello
07-09-2002, 04:31 PM
I upgraded my DTivo a month ago. I added a 80gb to the stock 40gb. I believe i used MFSTools 1.0 to create a backup (and test it) and then just blessed the new drive (does that sound correct?). I did not add any swap or anything? Should I? Will the new version improve menu performence?

Great work, keep up the good work. We'd be lost without you.

db

davork
07-09-2002, 10:11 PM
I've got the MFS 2.0 stuff mirrored at: -

http://www.barkingmadsoftware.com/Tivo/MFS/

Hope it's of some use...

altobeeper
07-14-2002, 10:19 AM
MFS Tools 2.0 worked w/o a hitch on my upgrade of a Sony SVR-2000.
I made a backup of my original drive then used in it another PC. Tested the backup on new drive 1st. When b/u tested okay I used the Linux DD command to copy all recordings then expanded the new A drive. Put it in and all worked great.

The drived unlocked correctly. No partition problems. Everything went great!

Thanks again for the "tools" to do the job right.

jamus
07-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by embeem
Based on my experience mfstools 2.0 seems to have a few flaws in the way it rebuilds MFS. It seems that the rebuilt partitions fail fsfix, infact it crashed fsfix when I tried. This means that if anything causes the tivo to go GSOD it'll fail to repair itself and get stuck in a reboot loop misleading people to think that the drive had gone bad.

I don't have enough resources to really test this and make sure it's an mfstools 2.0 problem so I need people to verify.

After upgrading with mfstools 2.0 run mfsassert to force a green screen and then wait to see if it recovers or gets stuck in a loop of 'reboot, gsod'. As there's a chance you'll get stuck on a green screen I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you're willing to take the risk and recover the system without using mfstools 2.0

(I've tried emailing tiger but he has yet to comment on the issues after a week)

Well, I can't verify by running "mfsassert", my system that was upgraded with mfstools 2.0 went GSOD this weekend. It has been in a constant reboot cycle. I mounted the drives in my system and checked the logs. Sure enough, fsfix dies with sig 11.

HotFix
07-14-2002, 12:31 PM
My TiVo died due to what I think was a faulty A drive.

Can I use a 145MB TiVo image (of my HDR112 v3.0 with a 14 hour drive) made with mfs 1.0 and reconstruct a dual drive unit using the new MFS tools 2.0?

Is my backup made with mfs 1.0 usable with mfs 2.0?

mvandam
07-15-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks to all who created these great tools I am now the proud owner of a simple 67 hour DSR6000. Process went very smooth just took forever to backup my recordings from the old drive. Thanks again for the excellent tools and guide.

philhu
07-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Hi

Mine went GSOD today.

Upgraded with MFSTools 2.0 a month ago.

And yes, in a reboot cycle forever, fsfix died, signal 11

Any fixes other that restoring an empty backup?

massimj
07-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Define GSOD please. My recently modified Tivo was getting stck at the reboot screen at some point during the period of nightly use. I powered it down and it came up fine each time. This last time was the first 24 hour period where it didn't do it, now it is on the second day of not doing it. How frequent would it die if I had the same GSOD problem you are all talking about?

philhu
07-17-2002, 10:18 AM
GSOD - system problem

First time it EVER happenned to me....

Now, it reboots, says ' A few minutes more', then reboots

Logs show fsfix is dying with signal 11

I think this is the mfstools problem defined above

massimj
07-17-2002, 10:21 AM
I will wait for the big guy to say his software is the cause, then follow his advice on how to deal with it.
Watching and waiting........

Craftsman
07-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Excellent Information, however.. I am still somewhat confused:

All I want to do is expand my A drive.

I had a new 60hr single drive series2 standalone TiVo.
I upgraded to 2 x 120Gb Maxtor drives 3 weeks ago using MFStools1.13.
Everything works perfectly.

The A drive I assume is only using 60Gb.
The B drive I assume is using its full capacity.
The reason I am assuming this is that my basic total capacity is 233 hrs.

Now... All I want to do is expand my A drive so that I have full capacity.

It would also be nice to save the movies I currently have.

Do I just pop both of the drives into my computer and then run:

"mfsadd -x /dev/hda /dev/hdb" ?

What about my swap size?
What's this about "editparms"?
Anything else that I am missing?

I have Tiger's new MFStools2.0 & the new Hinsdale/MFStools 2.0 how-to...but I'm still a little confused.

I know there is a ton of info in here, but I just want to do this right.
I don't want to mess up a perfectly functioning 233 hr TiVo.

I would appreciate any help or enlightenment on this issue.

Thank You All.

Robert S
07-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Craftsman
Excellent Information, however.. I am still somewhat confused:

All I want to do is expand my A drive.
The A drive I assume is only using 60Gb.

You should be able to verify this with pdisk. MFSTools 2 adds mfsinfo which should give you a more comprehensible answer.

It would also be nice to save the movies I currently have.

Do I just pop both of the drives into my computer and then run:

"mfsadd -x /dev/hda /dev/hdb" ?

Yes.

What about my swap size?

Don't worry about it.

What's this about "editparms"?

Don't worry about that either.

I would appreciate any help or enlightenment on this issue.

Given that you already have a really big TiVo I would advise you to wait until the questions over mfsfix and GSOD's are resolved. If you use MFSTools 2 now, you might end up having to wipe everything to resolve the problems MFST2 may cause.

Craftsman
07-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm... So it looks like I should not be too anxious to squeeze every last byte I can out of my HD's, Huh?

Well... I guess I'll wait then.

I just got my hands on a digital temperature probe and air flow sensor (gotta give it back sometime though...).

So I guess I'll do my cooling test thing I had planned.

Ok, Thanks Robert S.

Avenger
07-23-2002, 10:42 AM
I'd like to upgrade my previously-upgraded Tivo. My wife has a month worth of soaps stored on there, and I'll be sleeping on the couch if they're lost. Does MFSTools 2.0 produce a stable enough work product in this kind of an upgrade for me to go ahead and do it? Or will I run into GSOD problems? (Yeah, I know -- no guarantees in this business. But if it is known to be problematic, I don't want to run the risk.)

Robert S
07-23-2002, 11:21 AM
A GSOD is not a normal part of the upgrade process, so you'll probably be fine. A GSOD probably indicates a failing drive, but there could be other causes. To be absolutely safe, you'll have to wait for a new version of MFSTools.

ursapooh
07-25-2002, 04:13 PM
Tiger,

I have a Sony DTV. While it was a virgin I replaced the first drive with 120GB and added a 2nd 120GB. I used BlessTivo not MFSTools 1. My menus are a tad slow and so many people are asking about swap space that I am wondering what I could do now to take advantage of the new features in 2. Saving my recordings is important.

Suggestions?

Shawn

deek_man
07-26-2002, 12:35 PM
My story for those who are holding back on upgrading...

I waited for at least a year before buying a box because the hours available in even the most expensive boxes were just not enough for me to junk the VCR(s). I closely monitored this forum and other forums and finally bought a refurbished Philips HDR112. Unfortunately, it arrived with a bad modem so I had to return it under warranty for a replacement box. (Because of foul-ups by Tivo/Philips representatives not correctly authorizing shipment of a new box, it took me a month to get a replacement. They did give me two months free service, though. What a headache...but that's for another thread.)

I used the 14-hour box with Tivo service for a week and couldn't wait any longer for an upgrade. I had already purchased two 100GB Maxtor hard drives for $100 each at CompUSA so, with some trepidation, I booted up my old Dell with MFS Tools 2.0 in the CD drive. Since my primary/secondary master/slave cables were configured slightly differently than in the Hinsdale directions, I had to make some minor drive letter changes in the command lines for backup, etc., but...the bottom line...everything went without a hitch. I now have a 252 hour machine and am really enjoying the Tivo service.

Tiger, Hinsdale and all the other folks who put the software and documentation together all deserve a big thank you and a big round of applause. I've never purchased software that worked as perfectly as MFS Tools 2.0 and I've never had documentation that was so thoroughly and well written as the Hinsdale documentation. I, for one, would like to thank all of you for the work you put into this. It has made my TV watching much more enjoyable. ;)

stark_rayvyn
07-30-2002, 01:09 AM
Man, I was screwed till I found this Tiger... I have a DirecTV Tivo and used the Dtivomad 4.0 and while it all worked great, at the point to expand it and gain the additional drive space, it failed... I tried it up down and around... The mfs tools 2.0 looked too easy so only tried it as a last ditch effort... I ran the mfsbackup // | mfsrestore // and it ran through in 3 hours... It ended at 126 hours for my new 120 and it is running fine in my Tivo as we speak...

In the Tivo however, it is only showing as 106 hours... Any suggestions?? I never reformatted or erased the stuff I had put on the drive with the Dtivomad software... I guess it might still be there but not knowing how to format the drive and start from scratch, I figured it was best to leave it like that for now... If you get a chance, let me know what you think and thanks again for the great software!!

Robert S
07-30-2002, 07:11 AM
You don't have to erase drives before you restore to them. MFS Tools doesn't read anything from the drives and erases everything as it writes.

At a guess I'd say that it's just that MFS Tools method of calculating drive capacities is slightly different to TiVo's.

I think mfsinfo will tell you what state your drive is currently in, including if there's any unused space.

stark_rayvyn
07-30-2002, 09:55 AM
Is 106 correct for a 120GB drive?? I am running a Western Digital 5400 8.5MS 120... Seems fast now but from what I have read, I fear it will soon slow down... Any word on that??

As it stands however, this program is simply the best... It worked like a charm and I could not be happier...

Robert S
07-31-2002, 09:28 AM
I have started a thread dealing specifically with swap partition problems (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69952) with MFS Tools 2.0 as posts on that topic are getting rather lost amonst the general queries on this thread.

russg
07-31-2002, 09:07 PM
I have been considering upgrading my bedroom TIVO for a while since we record so much on it. My wife will be out of town next week and I had gotten concerned that saving all that she records may fill up the disk and leave me stuck sleeping in the entertainment room.

I picked up a 125GB Maxtor 5400 drive, and came home to figure the whole thing out. I had told my wife the system would be out of service for some time while I read up and do the upgrade. To my surprise mfstools2.0 had been released and folks were saying great things.

So I figured I'd give it a try. I'm a Unix Systems Administrator so how hard could it be? Well all I can say is 30 minutes later the system was back in the bedroom and already recording a season pass program.

This is awesome, and while I still wouldn't recommend it to everyone (my father), I would say anyone with two computer literate brain cells to rub together can do this with little to no trouble.

Great job to all!! Best community since the old days of BBS's.

--russ

fansa5
08-01-2002, 06:52 PM
I upgraded my AT&T Series2 from 40+100 to 100+100 by using the floppy Mfstools 2.0. The new A drive only showed 77GB instead of 100GB. Also, my old A drive can not boot up. a green screen appeared. Please advise action. Though all of the recordings and setup are transferred to the new setup.

Also, I have forgotten to unplugged the C drive, after the upgrade my system drive could not be booted up. I am sure I followed all of the instructions. That took me the whole afternoon to reinstalled the whole system drive.

gps
08-04-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by philhu
Mine went GSOD today.
Upgraded with MFSTools 2.0 a month ago.
And yes, in a reboot cycle forever, fsfix died, signal 11
Any fixes other that restoring an empty backup?

same story here apparently. my philips dsr6000 that i upgraded from its original 30+15 to 30+120 (western digital 5400rpm 120gb) is now dead. I was out of town last thursday when it happened but my s.o. reports symptoms (frequent reboots followed by finally failing to boot at all) that match other people's problem descriptions.

is there anything useful i could do with my current drives before restoring that would help debug the problem?

i have an uneasy feeling that restoring my backup made with mfstools 2.0 using mfstools 2.0 may just lead to the problem reoccurring again in a month...

gps
08-05-2002, 12:35 PM
I take that back. It looks like my failure isn't mfstools 2.0 related. My dsr6000 appears completely dead. no video (not even the grey "please wait" screen); it never spins up the hard drives. Time to call philips and see if they'll replace/fix it.

CaptainTiVO
08-07-2002, 10:28 PM
In the original posting on MFStools 2.0 Tiger says:
"# Upgrade a second time without losing recordings"

But I can't seem to find out how to do this in Hinsdales Howto. In fact the note under option #1 that mentioned that it might be possible is gone. I have a single drive SA Phillips that I have upgraded by replacing the drive with a large one and TivoMadding it. It now has a full 80 Gbyte of stuff that I wish to keep but I want to add another drive to increase the capacity. Can someone tell me how to just add a B drive without losing the recordings on A? Thanks.

Hunter

gps
08-08-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by gps
My dsr6000 appears completely dead. no video (not even the grey "please wait" screen); it never spins up the drives.

As it turned out that el-cheapo 120gig western digital drive I bought as a frys special died after three weeks of use such that no machine with it plugged into the ide bus will boot. I've RMAed it and put the original 15gig B drive back for now.

Ivor
08-09-2002, 06:47 AM
Hunter/ CaptainTiVO

If you are simply adding a second drive, you still want Option #1.

i.e. (shortened version):

With your normal boot disk on IDE 1 Master
Connect NEW TiVo B disk on IDE1 Slave
connect TiVo A disk on IDE2 Master

Boot using MFST2
verify drive sizes are correct
run mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb to incorporate your second drive.

Shutdown cleanly and transfer your disks to the TiVo.

Since you are simply adding a drive you will not lose your recordings, and you should not be succeptible to the MSFT2 swap partition problems, as the swap partition laid down by TiVoMad during the previous upgrade will remain unchanged.

Ivor.

neilhand
08-12-2002, 01:54 AM
Hi All,

I have only just started hacking my tivo. and so fave have a working TurboNet, and now want to move onto backing up my drive before adding a few extra survices, and adding a drive.

Unfortunately, when i try to boot with MFSTOOLS 2.0, i get a panic message just after the "Promise IDE Raid" controller is recognized on the main board. THis is a controller that is currently unused, but there is now way to disable/disconnect it.

Is there a way to provide boot parameters to the kernel to prevent probing the device?

Or, is the crash due to something completely different.

I should point out, incase it is important, that i am attempting to boot without the tive drive attached at this time. I wanted to go through a dry run before attaching the drive (i would hate to have XP screw up the drive header if i made a mistake).

All help appriciated.

Thanks

philhu
08-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Tiger......Is there a newer MFSTools out there soon?

You've been pretty quiet about the know bugs now!

Robert S
08-13-2002, 11:42 AM
neil, adamz had very similar problems with his Promise controllers. He posted in two (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70593) separate threads (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70548) about it.

He found that Dylan's Boot Disk worked correctly. You might also find that Tom's Root and Boot Disk (http://www.toms.net/rb/) will work if you're using MFS Tools 2.0.

Do read the posts in this thread about the problems with MFST2.0, though.

neilhand
08-14-2002, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the pointers Robert.

In the end i took a simular approach to adamz, and used a old machine to merge the drives together. I now have successfully expanded the drive, but i was not able to add the BASH shell.

Now i understand it was the byteswap issue, so hopefully i can now get that working.

I am not able to boot Dylans disk as i have an IDE floppy which confuses it. My next step is to burn the CD image to a boot CD and try again.

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone for there very detailed and informative postings. Once i have it all sorted out i will pay it back by posting a summary of my experiances.

Robert S
08-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Well, after my repeatedly saying that the problems MFS Tools 2.0 aren't related to the swap problem, it appears that they are. As a result of experiments by Merle Corey (documented in MFS Tools 2 fixes thread) a TiVo that was stuck in a green screen loop was saved by increasing swap.

It looks like you need a lot of swap, so we're suggesting temporarily turning your inactive root partition into a swap partition to allow mfsfix to complete. This is a fairly heavy Unix hack, but 192Mb swap (64Mb original + 128 additional) was enough for a 240Gb TiVo, so it should work for any Series 1 standalone. (DTiVo users would have to do the PROM hack, which greatly complicates things.)

We're still working out the details of the best way to explain how to do it, but MFS Tools 2.0 users can relax a bit.

DCIFRTHS
08-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Robert S

....We're still working out the details of the best way to explain how to do it, but MFS Tools 2.0 users can relax a bit.

This is good news. Your explanations are very helpful. Thanks to you and everyone else who has contributed.

Has anyone heard from Tiger?

Merle Corey
08-18-2002, 03:07 PM
To add on to what Robert said:

It's documented in moderately excruciating detail in the Fixes for MFSTools 2.0 swap problems (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69952) thread, but the important point is that the swap requirements for fsfix appear not to have changed - neither with more recent TiVo software versions, nor with MFSTools 2.0. The ">140GB requires 128MB of swap" rule appears to still be in effect.

As Robert mentioned, greenscreen loops (caused by swap, anyway) are fixable. The invalid swap created by restoring with -s 128 is fixable. The most important thing at this stage, though, would probably be to put a warning about this in Hinsdale's How-To. I've pm'd Hinsdale to alert him to this.

And still no word from Tiger - it certainly would have made this entire troubleshooting process much simpler, but we seem to have it pretty much figured out anyway.

MC

horwitz
08-18-2002, 03:12 PM
I used Hinsdale's MSFTools 2.0 instructions (and, thus, presumably have a 64Mb swap) to up a 13.6+13.6 HDR312 to 120. Particularly since I plan on going to 120+120 sometime in the not-too-distant future, what should I do to make it so my 120 -> 120+120 upgrade won't require wiping the drive? TIA

Merle Corey
08-18-2002, 03:34 PM
horwitz:

It may not be possible to do this as you've outlined.(*) If it is, the easiest way to do it while recordings would probably be to replace your current A drive with the new drive. Use the piped transfer (upgrade configuration #3 in Hinsdale's MFST2.0 based How-To) to migrate the data from your current A drive to the new drive. Use the -s 128 flag in the restore side of the pipe, and be sure to use one of the swap fixes specified in the swap fix thread.

In other words:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -xzp -s 128 -i - /dev/hda

(hdc is the old A drive, hda is the new one.) Then fix your new 128MB swap.

After that completes, follow the "Adding a new B drive" (upgrade configuration #1), with your old A drive as the new B drive.

MC

(* Thanks to Ivor and Robert for pointing this out.)

Ivor
08-18-2002, 04:21 PM
I don't think that would work unless the new '120Gb' drive is at least slightly larger than the existing one. i.e. same size +64Mb.

AFAIK MFST2 is not capable of copying recordings into smaller partitions than the ones on the original disk, i.e. it copies the entire partitions rather than just the data. If this is the case you would probably need to use a 160Gb drive to be sure of saving the recordings.

[Editied to correct drive/file sizes!]

Robert S
08-18-2002, 04:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but it might be worth a try. The real question is if MFS Tools 2.0 can detect deleted streams (and thus make room for the extra swap). If not, perhaps you should make a huge recording and then fiddle with the -l option to take all the recordings except the really big one.

If you do this, of course, it'll take hours, so you'll definitely want to get your DMA settings right (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72115) before you start the transfer.

Merle Corey
08-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Robert and Ivor raise good points - so much so that I've reworded the original solution to a definite maybe.

If I have the opportunity, I'll test this out.

(And this is yet another something we could use a definitive answer from Tiger on... We miss you Tiger, come home!)

MC

CaptainTiVO
08-19-2002, 10:04 PM
I finally got around to adding a B disk to my SA Tivo today and I couldn't burn an MFS tools CD that would boot. The ISO file burns fine. I can read it under windows and see the directories, including the isolinux dir. But it will not boot.

To make sure that something wasn't farkled with my CD burner, I downloaded and burned the Turbonet iso image. Booted just fine.

I finally resorted to the floppy method to do the upgrade, but I would really like to know why I cant get the MFST CD to boot. Anybody?

Hunter

borg1of2
08-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Upgrading SAT-T60 with two Maxtor 120's. Everything went fine except after six hours of dd copy I was one block off on results. When I tried to expand both drives message read "mfs add" not found. Where to from here? Should I start over? Where do I find mfs add? I'm new at this and using brand new equipment.:confused:

kenr
08-19-2002, 11:57 PM
The command is "mfsadd" not "mfs add", i.e., no space between the 's' and the 'a'.

Ivor
08-20-2002, 01:50 AM
Hunter/CaptainTiVo

Several people have had problems booting the MFST2 disk. There are two versions Joilet, which seems to be causing some problems, and NonJoilet which seems to boot OK. Go here http://hellcat.tyger.org/MFS/2.0/ download the file mfstools2noJ.iso and try that. :)

Robert S
08-20-2002, 06:35 AM
borg, don't do it that way, you need to expand your swap. Do

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdx | mfsrestore -s 127 -xpi - /dev/hdy /dev/hdz

Will take hours again, I'm afraid, so do make sure your DMA settings are correct (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72115) before you start.

Your current configuration will die horribly if you get any filesystem corruption and although we have a sort of work around, it ain't ever going to be pretty.

massimj
08-20-2002, 06:43 AM
Here is the update on my last upgrade. I replaced a 20 hour Phillips with a 80 Gb Maxtor drive. I also installed the memory upgrade at the same time. When I was done, everything appeared to work fine, same for the next day or so; then I got the reboot screen (if that's what you call it), and all I could do was remove power and let it reboot. This happened a few times over the next week, maybe 6 or 7 in a two week period. As I got more recordings on my Tivo, it happened less and less. It now has not happened in over a month. I don't know if it was a drive failure, but for now it is working fine. Joe

muchmore44
09-03-2002, 11:25 AM
I just want to say thanks to Hinsdale and Tiger for giving us TiVo users a way to maximize a terrific technology, as well as to Robert S. and Merle C. for refining the swap expansion/correction process.

Last night, I upgraded my Hughes DirectTiVo from 35 hours to 106 hours (went from 40 GB to 120 GB) and it couldn't have gone better! It took approximately 1 hour, 30 min, mostly because I was very, very careful - I could have done it faster, but I didn't want to take any chances. MFSTools 2.0 are the best!

I am the happiest guy in the world right now (at least until the next person upgrades a Tivo!) and wanted to thank you guys for all that you have done.

You guys are Saints!

Thanks,
Muchmore44

keithrj
09-03-2002, 11:19 PM
thanks to all on the thread Hinsdale, Tiger, Robert etc - yesterday upgraded my Sony DirectTivo T-60 dual drive (30Gb +15Gb) to 2 x 100 Gb.

Now have 190 hours - and the new season just about to start

thanks again

jonhp
09-04-2002, 04:48 PM
Thanks to everyone, especially tyger.
Just finished upgrading my tivo replacing the original 13GB drive with a new maxtor 120GB drive. great tools and documentation!

noone001
09-07-2002, 08:27 PM
I am trying to make a MFS tools CD and the only CDR writer software I have access to is HP RecordNow (from Veritas). I can't figure out how to write the iso image file to the disk. I tried writing the image file as a file, but it would not boot. I can't find any options to create a disc from an image.

Any thoughts?

Robert S
09-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Writing an ISO to a CD as a file is not the way to make a bootable disk. If your software doesn't have an option to write an ISO image there's no way around it.

Use the boot floppy instead. If you're just upgrading the hard drive, you won't miss the CD.

You will need a DOS floppy with a copy of qunlock on it, but manually unlocking the drive only takes a minute (you have to switch the PC OFF after running qunlock).

philhu
09-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Record Now that comes with hp products is a lite version.

RecordNow MAX for $30 from veritas is what you want!

darksaber
09-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Just finished my upgrade to add a 120gb maxtor to a 30gb Phillips Series 1, and feeling stupid that I waited soooo long.

It really was outstandingly easy, despite my total and complete ignorance of Linux.

Couldn't be easier, and I'm happy to have a tested backup of my system

UncaAndoo
09-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Okay, I'm wondering if the wonderful 2.0 can do this momentous task.

I bought my DSR-6000, and used it until I got my 2 120GB drives. Back in those days, there wasn't any MFSTools way to save the shows I had recorded.

But is there now? I probably still have the backup image on a CD. And even if I don't have that, I still have the two original drives sitting in their ESD bags.

Can I somehow get the shows on those 2 original drives onto my 2 120GB drives, while keeping the shows that are currently on them?

Not to mention that there has been a software upgrade since then...

Never mind -- I realize it's just a dream. A beautiful, wonderful dream.

entropy
09-25-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Ivor

Several people have had problems booting the MFST2 disk. There are two versions Joilet, which seems to be causing some problems, and NonJoilet which seems to boot OK. Go here http://hellcat.tyger.org/MFS/2.0/ download the file mfstools2noJ.iso and try that. :)

My friend Geoff and I tried booting from both of these images, with no luck. We had to use the floppy.

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>

bodosom
10-05-2002, 07:50 PM
I tried and failed to add a pair of partitions by using:

&nbsp;mfsadd /dev/hda /dev/hdb4 /dev/hdb5

The result was an error message about hdb4+hdb5.

Has anyone suceeded in doing this?

Robert S
10-05-2002, 08:16 PM
At the very least you need to report the partition tables from the two drives and the exact error message you got.

You'll need to boot byteswapping or type the following at the MFS Tools 2.0 boot: prompt - vmlnodma hda=bswap,hdb=bswap. You should see the partition tables printed out at boot.

If you have a normal hard drive mounted on /mnt/dos (as Hinsdale describes), you can capture the partition tables with:

pdisk -l /dev/hda >/mnt/dos/tivotbl.txt
pdisk -l /dev/hdb >>/mnt/dos/tivotbl.txt

(note the double chevron on the second line). Which should give you a file you can paste into a post.

It would also be useful to see the output of mfsinfo, which can probably be captured in a similar way.

Tiger is back, by the way, so if you put the effort into reporting this properly you stand a chance of getting a fix.

bodosom
10-05-2002, 09:18 PM
Well I said a bit more over in:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77862

Sadly I still have but a single TiVo and my last excursion into upgrade resulted in losing all my shows so I'm hesitant to repeat these steps until I get a second unit.

As I wrote earlier I used pdisk to make four partitions, marked two as MFS (one smallish, the other most of the disk), booted in DMA mode, checked with mfsinfo and then ran mfsadd. Then I went back to dataswap mode, set the media bit and tried mfsadd again. Still no luck.

I was hoping someone who actually used MFSTools V2.0 to add a partition pair might report the steps since I struggled to find clear instructions regarding pdisk and I suspect I may have a made a subtle error.

However if the only answer is for me to run the steps again I will (but not for a while).

PS - I'm reasonably conversant in at least some of this stuff. I have an hdr-112 with a 100G drive and a turbo-net card. I run Linux on most of my computers.

Robert S
10-05-2002, 09:58 PM
I'm not really sure that adds much to what you've said before. Without seeing the partition tables, I don't think Tiger will have enough to work from.

If you just want to get working, why don't you do this the other way round? Define a partition big enough for whatever it is you want to put on the B drive other than the MFS partitions and let mfsadd create the new partitions itself.

bodosom
10-05-2002, 11:00 PM
Define a partition big enough for whatever it is you want to put on the B drive other than the MFS partitions and let mfsadd create the new partitions itself.

The documentation and my experience suggests that if you don't do a pair add mfsadd will repartition the entire disk.

While I realize I'm being a ``bad'' customer if someone -- anyone -- would say that ``I've done this'' I'd feel properly chastened and go away until I can get some transcripts but at the moment I don't even know if this feature has been tested and shown to work in multiple environments. E.g. it took me some time to get a bootable image because of the joliet problem and even more time to figure out how to get byte-swapping working since the on-cd instructions don't work for me. The document suggests that all this stuff just works for some people so I'm starting to wonder if there are some bios/hardware issues associated with my difficulties.

BTW, mfsinfo just shows the partition pair while pdisk shows the MFS label area, the ext2 partition that I made and the two MFS (application and media) partitions.

Robert S
10-06-2002, 07:26 AM
I haven't personally run mfsadd on a two-disk config, but people do seem to be successfully upgrading their B drives by using dd to copy their recordings and then mfsadd to expand into the unused space. So clearly mfsadd doesn't always repartition.

Byteswapping is broken on the MFS Tools 2.0 CD, that's why I gave you that magic incantation to use. You'll find any of the earlier boot disks (Dylan's Boot Floppy, Kazymyr's CD) will byteswap just fine (hda is left unswapped on those disks).

Is it worth bothering to repeat my assertion that Tiger will very probably be unable to do anything for you you without seeing the output of pdisk -l on both drives? Do say if you want further clarification on how to capture that.

bodosom
10-06-2002, 09:48 AM
I haven't personally run mfsadd on a two-disk config, but people do seem to be successfully upgrading their B drives by using dd to copy their recordings and then mfsadd to expand into the unused space. So clearly mfsadd doesn't always repartition.
I'm particularly concerned about testing this sort of stuff because if mfstools binds the two drives together it's not clear to me how to get them apart while preserving the recordings since I'll have 180G at that point.

Byteswapping is broken on the MFS Tools 2.0 CD
Well I prefer to think of as it's not clearly documented. After some fiddling with Kazymyr's CD and reviewing the IDE boot flags I figured it out.

Is it worth bothering to repeat my assertion that Tiger will very probably be unable to do anything for you you without seeing the output of pdisk -l on both drives?
I should have another TiVo in about a week. If there's been no answer forthcoming in the interim I'll do the steps on the new unit.

I do appreciate your time and patience in this. Thank you.

Robert S
10-06-2002, 09:55 AM
In principle you can split the A drive from a two drive set by restoring a 'divorced' backup to it - if the partition boundaries line up your recordings should survive.

With the various additional options in MFS Tools 2.0 (notably -p) that can move the partitions around, this is easier said than done.

The MFS Tools 2.0 CD is supposed to boot byteswapping if you type 'swap' at the boot prompt. That bit is definitely broken. However, it's only broken because byteswapping and DMA are incompatible, so if you manually boot the vmlnodma kernel it does work.

Jorossian
10-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Forgive me if this question has already been posed......

What's the difference between the 2 boot cd downloads:

- Bootable CD ISO(10878k)
- Bootable CD (non Joliet) ISO(10878k)

I already made the "noJ" disk as it was the one linked in Hinsdale's guide, but now I'm seeing the other version and am unsure if I've made the correct disk.

Hope this isn't as dumb a question as it sounds...... =D

Robert S
10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Some PC's can't boot off the original ISO. Tiger traced the problem to a the MS Joliet extensions and produced a non-Joliet version that seems to be more reliable.

Apart from this minor formatting change, everything else is the same - if the noJ disk boots, you're fine.

Glen Graham
10-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Thanks Tiger, Robert S and all...

In the last couple months, my TiVo (30 + added 80 GB) started having random hiccups and then lockups (got bad in the last month). I figured one drive was dying. I was so glad to find MFS Tools 2.0 would solve my issues!

I got a new 120 GB drive to move my previous images onto (Upgrade Configuration #6). At first, I could not boot off CD, so had to use the floppy. After about 10-11 hours of chugging, I came in to find my PC was OFF. I tried the new drive (thinking maybe it did an auto-shutdown?).

No luck. Back to the Underground. Found the Non-Joliet version, made a CD and it booted. Restarted and it took only about 2 hours (I think DMA was not on with the floppy).

New drive works fine! No lockups/freezes/hiccups in the last week. Now, I am going to run PowerMax to try to figure out which old drive is bad...

If is is the original 30 GB, I throw it away and put the 80 in as a 2nd drive.

If it is the 80, it should still be under 3-year warranty, I get it replaced and put it in.

One question:
I am a bit unclear; it appears that with Option 6, merging the 30 & 80 (110 GB) onto the 120 GB will also automatically use the entire new drive - so added the 10 GB, right? If so, I wish I would have checked the hours before since I'm pretty sure it is about the same total hours that it was before....

Second question:
Since I used the -127 (swap file) already when creating this new 120 GB drive, I can add the old 80 (via MFS Add) without worrying about my swap file, right (Upgrade Config #1)?

Now that my upgrade has been successful, my parents bought a 120 GB drive and when I visit for Christmas, will merge their 30/80 onto the 120 and add the 80 as their 2nd drive :)

Funny thing; My parents had never heard of TiVo before November 2000, when I ordered mine via a Mercata Power Buy. Due to reasons unknown, they gave me a 2nd one (then went out of business). Not knowing what to do with it, I mentioned it to my parents; they thought it sounded cool and wanted it -- but they wanted it upgraded before they ever saw it! "More is better!" (so I added an 80-GB drive that had just come out for a mere $250).

Now they can't imagine life without their TiVo :)

Robert S
10-10-2002, 06:58 AM
It would only expand to fill the unused space if you included an x in the restore options or used mfsadd to expand.

127Mb of swap is enough for a 274Gb TiVo (the largest currently possible) to recover from a green screen of death without running out of memory. You'll be fine at 200Gb.

You may find your 'failed' drive works OK in a PC, although it may be progressively failing, so don't put anything too valuable on it.

Glen Graham
10-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Robert. The command in Hinsdale's guide for Option #10 did have the 'x' (it just did not explain what each switch did :)

I did a quick-test of the 2 old drives yesterday, and the Quantum failed. I then did the advanced test on the Maxtor (80 GB), and then last night did the low-level format -- it seems just fine.

So, I am going to add it to the TiVo today :)

philhu
10-10-2002, 11:31 AM
He is fine, just 'out of the tivo change business' for now since it is all working.....

Sbmocp
10-11-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by philhu
He is fine, just 'out of the tivo change business' for now since it is all working.....

I'd been following this thread for a while...but am a little confused. Is there still a problem with MFS 2.0 causing failures after a while, or does the 'swap file size' fix actually take care of the problem? If it does, is TIger going to integrate that change as part of the process?

Just a little confused. I've been waiting to add a couple of 80 GB drives to my TiVos because of this issue...

paxton
10-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Just a quick post from across the pond to report a successful upgrade of my twin-drive 40Gb machine to a single-drive 120Gb today. :D

I guess a few more days of regular use will confirm this, but many, many thanks to Tiger for MFSTools2.0, and more thanks to Robert S and Woody (UK) for their prompt assistance during the process. :up:

Jorossian
10-14-2002, 09:34 PM
Sbmocp

As the swap issues were solved - the original post at the top of the thread was updated to reflect the findings. I was also confused with this for a day or two and was hesitant to go through with my upcoming upgrade - but I think I've got it straight now.

Also - if you have an old copy of Hinsdales instructions for mfstools 2.0 make sure to reprint them from the website again as they include the new code that avoids most problems.

basically (at least the way I read it) if you see the number "-s 128" in your restore process replace it with "-s 127" and you're OK. (unless you're restoring back to your smaller A drive again in which you'd leave out the -s 127 altogether.

Jerry_K
11-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Thank you Tiger, I just upgraded my Phillips DirecTiVo from 30 and 15 to 80 and 60. I used Hinsdales how to for your software and it went without a hitch. Took me quite a while because I wanted a small backup, which I tested and I wanted to retain all my recordings which took a long time to transfer. That certainly presented no problem. Every single step worked perfectly first time through. The original drives had some weird jumper settings. I used the settings for master and slave that were correct for the new drives and installed jumpers correctly for the old drives when making the total transfer and the new install.

letterten
11-11-2002, 04:55 PM
seen talk about dual 120gigers -- will all of this work with dual 250GB drives?

Robert S
11-11-2002, 06:00 PM
With the current stock kernels, TiVo can only see the first 137Gb of a drive, so 2x250Gb = 274Gb :(

However, there is a patched kernel (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83342) available that would let your TiVo use the whole of the drives and get you a 500Gb TiVo.

Post in that thread if you want to give it a go as it's not an MFS Tools 2.0 issue.

Wolfman
11-12-2002, 06:34 AM
Thanks to all who answered my questions here ansd especially to Tiger for MFSTools and Hindsale for his guide..

I have now replaced my 40gb A drive with an 80gb drive and doubled the capacity of my Tivo.

:up: :up:

BlankMan
11-12-2002, 09:01 AM
THANKS TIGER!

Used mfsbackup -Tao piped to mfsrestore to replace the two 80G drives in my T60 with a 120/160G combination and it went perfect! Fired right up and all the recordings are there! Now both my T60's are at 230 hours. I was at first going to dd and use mfsadd until I discovered my A drive already had 15 partitions, so I had to invoke Plan B.

Thanks for taking the time to do this stuff so the rest of us can do it easily.

stevel
11-22-2002, 08:25 PM
I have an interesting situation that I haven't seen covered so far. My DSR6000 has two drives, the factory 40GB A drive and a Maxtor 120GB B drive. The Maxtor is going bad and I want to replace it with a Seagate Barracuda V 120GB drive. Well, as some of you know, 120GB != 120GB, and the Seagate is actually a bit smaller than the Maxtor.

I want to preserve recordings, so what I THINK I have to do is create a divorced backup with the recordings preserved, then restore that backup to the two new drives (really one old and one new). Am I right so far?

What I haven't quite figured out is what combination of switches to use on the save and restore, so that's what I'm asking for - or if there's an easier way, please let me know. Thanks.

Robert S
11-22-2002, 08:41 PM
To divorce the drives, MFS Tools has to drop the recordings.

MFS Tools can't resize partitions, it has to copy the whole partition to carry over even one recording fragement in it, although it does zero out recordings it doesn't carry over, so the backup compresses properly.

stevel
11-23-2002, 10:38 AM
Grumble.. Oh well, there goes THAT idea!

TiVoDeRene
11-26-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by idlepaw
Hi, just used this to upgrade by AT&T Tivo2. Noticed two mistakes though. First, in step 7, when mounting my windows c drive, I had to type "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos" to get it to mount. Second, in step 8, you wrote, "Take (one of) your new drive(s) and set it’s jumpers to Master. Connect the drive to your secondary IDE channel to make it Secondary Slave." I think it should be "Secondary Master", not slave. Except for these two minor mistakes, everything worked great! Thanks!!!
Ben

I used that "mount" command without the "1" like I was shown and was getting a somewhat frustrated :mad: because, besides the fact that I am new at this TiVo upgrading, it looked like I had to really dig into the Linux commands. I have been testing the "mount" command(and others) for the past few(being modest) hours and was getting nowhere. I kept getting errors like "wrong filesystem" and everyone I used(by adding the -t option) did not work but just another error I could not shake down.

Thank you for the "1". It's amaizing to know that just a simple character could make such a difference :D .

Your second error, I thought the same thing when I read it. So now I feel I am on the correct page to go through this "upgrade". Again, thank you!!!!

remster
11-30-2002, 05:35 AM
More praise to Tiger et al. for some awesome work!

My upgrade: Sony SVR-2000 version 3.0, 30h to 180h (120G+30G).
The highlights:
- I used allen wrenches (hexagones with flat sides) instead of Torx... works great
- burned the ISO file using Windows Adaptec Easy CD creator
- used MFStools 2.0
- I backed up the original A drive 30G to a skinny 816MB on my c:\ dos drive.
- restored to a 120G drive, tested it, worked fine.
- slow copied 30G to 120G because total is over 150MB and there is the swap problem (-s 127) ... this took about 1h40m
- improvised a msftadd -x to tack on the 30G as a B drive for the big one.
- found the quantum fireball jumper settings at http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/STORAGE/5962R/Jumpers.htm then realized they are printed on the drive... duh.
- switched the super duper rubber drive harness from the 30G drive to the 120G drive, and improvised a new harness out of some recycled PC parts.
- used a u-shaped drive craddle (looks like the mounting bracket for some 3.5 floppy drives). It has a wide flat bottom with holes and a steel spring underneath (asymetrical pointing to one side), and the sides are about 1.5 inch high and have 2+2 holes to secure the sides of the drive. The drive is sitting tall in there so it will have good air flow.
- used some thick double side sticky foam tape to affix the |___|-shape harness onto the edges of the tivo's drive B mounting hole/area. Feels really secure, and a bit cushy, and I am not shipping the unit anywhere so it does not need the super duper rubber mounted stuff of the A drive.
- I was lucky that the ATA cable of the tivo was already shreded/elongated... power cable was long enough as well.
- fired up the tivo, all good.

Well, only thing weird is the Tivo Suggestions menu gives me something like "If your tivo is new you should click thumbs up/down during some programs and this will make stuff appear here" (I paraphrased). My tivo is not new and was full of thumb data, So this seems to indicate that the thumbs are not completely restored. No biggie as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: oh, and I forgot to say my 120G is a 7200 rpm WD1200JB western digital, paid about $200 because it seems they were all sold out when I had to have my drive :(. Very quiet, 8MB of cache and it looks like operating power is less than the quantum fireball (milli amps were less for 5/12v rating). So I'd think it won't be too hot. I'll check the internal temp of the tivo later on.
The tivo feels slightly more spiffy, despite the fact that now I'm cranking on best video quality instead of medium... that's a good thing.

Update: the thumbs in the Tivo Suggestions finally showed up. They must have been dormant and got awaken somehow. All's well!

massimj
11-30-2002, 12:07 PM
I guess I wasn't alone doing my Tivo upgrades yesterday. I replaced a faulty A drive in a Phillips unit that was under warranty. Phiilips wanted $100 to do a swap with me, so I used the $100 to buy a 80GB Maxtor and upgraded at the same time as repairing the unit.

I also took my other 80GB Phillips and upgraded to a 120 GB WD, then moved the 80 GB Maxtor that was in it to my third Phiilips.

I also had to use hda1 instead of hda, and I also got confused by reading some of the text, so I backed up and used my brain to sort it out and finish.

Everything appears to be working. I'm going to take the backup, which I tested, and write it to a CDR and file it with my notes for the next time. You never know when that tivo.bak will save mine, or somone elses butt.

Thanks to everyone who posts the outcome of their upgrades, it sure helps when you find that others have the same issues as you when you are searching for help.

:up:

Eccles
11-30-2002, 01:59 PM
In fact, with MFS Tools 2.0, you can upgrade again and again, upgrading one drive up to 5 times (3 for some models)
Could somebody please expand on this point? What causes some models to be less-upgradeable than others? Is this somehow related to the Sony 13-partition image thing?

After I added an 80GB B drive to my SVR-2000, I bought another 80 with the intention of upgrading the 40GB A drive, but I shelved the idea because at the time there was no way to do so without losing my recordings.

I've been out of the loop for a while, so it was a pleasant surprise to find this thread, and I'm thinking it's time to dig the second 80GB out of mothballs and open up the TiVo once again.

Now where did I hide my Torx drivers...

Robert S
11-30-2002, 02:04 PM
Yes, you're limited to 16 partitions per drive and 6 MFS partition pairs in total. So a single-drive stand alone can be upgraded 5 times (twice on the A drive plus three times by adding/upgrading a B drive).

If you have 13 partitions on your A drive you can only upgrade it once, although there are ways round this is you move to a two-drive configuration.

MFS Tools 2.0 can do your upgrade for you, anyway.

massimj
11-30-2002, 07:03 PM
Ok, I am the ignorant one. Please explain after I tell you what I understand.

What I understand is that a dd of drives, will put an exact copy of one drive on another of equal or greater size. Then you run MFSadd to add the increased space that is not part of the original configuration.

So what keeps me from doing this over and over? What about dd to the same size drive, over and over? I fail to understand how anything can stop this from occurring.

So, say we keep the original backup in tact. Each time we upgrade, we take that original backup and restore it to a bigger drive. What would make the fist time you do it, any different from the sixth, or tenth time you do it?

I'm sure I am not the only one that would like this explained in detail. If these situations do not yield the same results in the end, then treat them as separate questions and explain how they differ in the end.

Thanks to the Tivo Guru who educates us on this.

Joe

GBL
11-30-2002, 07:14 PM
I'm not a Guru but I think I can answer this one.

You are right; if you go back to the original backup (i.e. remove prior expansions) you can do unlimited expansions (but you lose recordings).

However, you can also expand an already expanded drive (repeatedly, up to a limit) by dd'ing an expanded (full) drive to a larger drive (without losing any recordings).

sfuller
12-01-2002, 01:10 AM
I thought I'd post a thank you here to Hinsdale for his upgrade FAQ. I upgraded my DirecTivo unit today by replacing the 15GB B drive with a new 40GB B drive. Using MFS Tools 2.0, I kept all of my recordings and had everything expanded and put back together in about an hour (including pulling the only Win98 PC I have in the house down to my computer room to do the upgrade). Only up to 57 hours, but I had the drive laying around and I now have room for recording other things since my wife had most of the unit filled up with X-files episodes. :D

genebaker
12-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Tiger, thanks for an awesome utility!

I am trying to save a bunch of recorded shows from an upgraded Hughes DirecTivo that was upgraded by Hinsdale to a dual 120 GB system. My A drive has failed, yields error codes G60S57 and G60SY2 at PowerMax Quick and Advanced tests, respectively. The B drive is fine as far as PowerMax can determine. However, the bad drive still spins up OK and does not make any unusual clacking noises that would be suggestive of mechanical problems. MFS Backup (2.0) is unable to perform a backup.

My question: Given that MFS Backup won't work, is there any chance that dd copy (or another utility) would allow me to move everything from the failing drive to a new drive??

I am a complete Linux newbie but was able to plod through Hinsdale's instructions well enough to restore a Hughes.bak image to a spare 40 gb hard drive until I get my 120s back in action.

Thanks. Gene

Robert S
12-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Er, possibly.

The problem is that dd tends to crash in the same places as mfsbackup. Hinsdale has a variation on dd that may get it past the errors (he adds somthing like conv=noerror,sync). People seem to be getting mixed results with it, but I think it's your only hope to save your recordings.

paulb444
12-09-2002, 03:24 PM
I upgraded about a year ago using the tools available at the time. I upgrade a one drive DirecTivo to two 120 gig drives.

The menu's are slow, sometimes freezing for a few seconds, then continuing. Now Playing list takes 15 seconds or more to display.

Are there any performance related tweaks I can make to my Tivo? I have read that the new tivo upgrade utilities are suppose to help w/ performance--can I use these tools to fix my upgrade?

Thanks.

Robert S
12-09-2002, 03:29 PM
The anecdotal evidence - this turns out to be /very/ difficult to quantify - suggests that repeating your upgrade with MFS Toold 2.0 will give you a noticably faster TiVo.

However, there is no way to do this and keep your recordings - you have to start from an original A drive image.

massimj
12-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Just for the record. I have upgraded three Philips Tivo's, one using MFS 1.0, and the other two MFS 2.0.

I have one unit with 32b MB that does not appear to be any faster than the others, but if I get big lists in Now Playing, maybe then I will see a difference.

I run the two main units on a APC UPS. Even with the UPS I have gotten some strange things to happen. Last night was the first time I saw my main unit, 120 GB WD, and 32 MB or ram, start stuttering, and get very large pixels running through the screen. Every so often the screen would go normal for a few seconds. The Sopranos was starting and I couldn't't wait to see if it would ever go back to normal, so I did a system reset. It has worked normal since the reset.

Every so often, either unit may freeze for a few seconds, to many seconds, then resume. I don't know what is doing that. Is it normal? I will consider it normal if many of you experience the same sort of behavior from your upgraded Tivo's.

Joe

netdude
12-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Trying to upgrade my DSR6000 from a 60 to a 120, I have the same issue: it returns an error "Restore failed:Backup target not large enough for the entire backup by itself".

hdb is a new Seagate 120Gig, hda is the existing Maxtor 60Gig. I am issuing the command:
mfsbackup -aqo - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -xpi - /dev/hdb

I boot on cdrom on hdc. When looking at the boot with shift-pgup it does show hda and hdb with the correct sizes.

Ideas welcomed...

gadgetgrrll
12-11-2002, 09:01 PM
I just upgraded my HDVR2 and used the MFS Tools for the first time. I had done two previous upgrades using other tools. IT ROCKED! Thanks!

Kathy

Robert S
12-12-2002, 06:58 AM
netdude, you may be out of partitions. Try restoring with -pi instead of -xpi.

Mister_B
12-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Help. I've been wading through messages for over a week and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I have a Hughes HDVR2, no recordings. I want to shelve the original 40 gig and put in 2- 120 gig's.
Do I just use MFS tools 2.0 and follow exactly or do I need to somehow enable a larger swap file? Are the new instructions residing in one document somewhere or do I need to piece them together from the "Fixes for MFS tools" thread. I've upgraded over a dozen series 1 DirecTivos but I'm getting lost in the linux discussions. Thanks.

massimj
12-12-2002, 08:38 PM
Maybe I had to make my swap file bigger, could that be the reason I have some of the crazy things happening that I have? I have just one 20 GB drive, does the swap file have to increase in size, or does it happen automatically?

Robert S
12-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Mr.B, yes, in principle you just do an MFS Tools backup and restore to prepare the new drive set. The thread you need to read is weaknees HDVR2 upgrade thread (http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86235). I think you just use -s 127 to expand your swap.

MFS Tools 2.0 isn't broken, exactly, it's more that the documentation is misleading. Follow New Hinsdale instead. The Fixes thread documents how we figured this out and, more importantly, includes several things you can do to get out of trouble if you followed the MFS Tools 2.0 docs rather than Hinsdale.

massimj, swap is only really important when your TiVo green screens. For most normal operations you'd be fine with no swap at all. See the Fixes thread for a way to read your boot log and check how much swap you've got.

If you didn't explicitly increase your swap with mfsrestore -s 127 then you'll have 64Mb of swap, which is fine for everything /except/ when your TiVo green screens if it has more than 150Gb of disk space.

massimj
12-13-2002, 04:54 AM
Robert, Thanks for the clearification. I never saw a green screen on any of my Tivo units.
Maybe what I need is a little more horse power under the hood. Has anyone investigate a boost to CPU speed? I know they do it to TI calculators, so what's stopping anyone from the same sort of thing on Tivo?

Maybe a Tivo reset, every once in a while is needed to keep everythng running smooth? I know that a reset has cleared two situations that were yielding poor performence from my Tivo's.

Now that I reread your comments, I may have found my problem. The instructions I followed were from a document by Steven "Tiger" Lang. It Says MFS Tools 2.0 at the top, and a quote that says " What a Tivo engineer might have said" under that.

I used the dd commands, and MFSadd following this document.

Is this a problem?

Joe

Robert S
12-13-2002, 07:58 AM
No. As I keep saying, swap is only important when really big TiVoes green screen. The MFS Tools 2.0 docs suggest that extra swap is not needed for TiVoes upgraded with MFST2 and that MFST2 can create 128Mb swap partitions. Neither of those things is true.

However, by copying your disk with dd you cloned the original, 64Mb, swap partition, so you're fine.

Mister_B
12-13-2002, 10:26 AM
.... Follow New Hinsdale instead....

Thanks Robert, one more question and I think I've got it: According to new Hinsdale I use:
"mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdb (restore/expand to new A and new B)"
Does this take the place of "blessing" the new B drive?

Robert S
12-13-2002, 11:02 AM
Yes, that will give you a fully utilised two-drive set ready to go in your TiVo.

Mister_B
12-13-2002, 11:04 AM
Yes, that will give you a fully utilised two-drive set ready to go in your TiVo.
Great, thanks again Robert.

bhudgens
12-15-2002, 07:11 PM
I attempted to upgrade using mfstools 2.0 and it didn't get off the ground. I have upgraded three TiVos previously. I created the bootable CD. I performed the following steps.

1) hit return at root:
2) at the prompt (#) I reviewed the linux generated responses confirming the size of my drives.
3) entered mkdir /mnt/dos
4) entered mount /dev/hda /mnt/dos
I received the following message: mount: you must specify the filesystem type.

Has anyone had this problem? How do I specify the filesystem type. The computer is running Win98 using FAT32.

Any help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Robert S
12-15-2002, 07:37 PM
You must mount /dev/hda1.

You're working from an old (and faulty) document. Download the latest New Hinsdale and use that instead. (See Hinsdale's thread in this Forum).

rrau
12-24-2002, 09:38 AM
I successfully upgraded my Philips HDR112 with a Samsung 120, thanks to Hinsdale, Tiger and this community !

The scrollable info after booting with mfs just didnt have the sizes of the drives (hda, hdb, etc)..the sizes appear for a few seconds and after that disappear when we do Shift+PageUp. ( I can only see the names of the drives against the hda,hdb info.)

Anyone know why ? (I am just starting on Linux)

Also,

Robert S
12-24-2002, 01:39 PM
It's probably a BIOS issue.

The important thing is that Linux sees the drives as the correct size - whether the BIOS does or not is irrelevent.

Use dmesg or dmesg | more to review the boot log and check what Linux is seeing.

You may need to set the BIOS to 'None' or 'Auto' on the relevent channels in order to get your drives recognised correctly.

ronsch
12-25-2002, 04:40 PM
I had the exact problem rrau is describing using the boot floppy. The sizes were visible as the output went by but some of it was no longer on the screen when going back to view with shift+pageup. However, if booting from the cd the drive size info was recoverable with shift+pageup....

Jim Hughes
12-30-2002, 07:22 PM
I now have 107 hours of recordable space (up from 35) on the Direct Tivo

Used instructions at http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html (THANK YOU!)

Performed OPTION #1: BACKING UP A SINGLE DRIVE TiVo, then did drive copy preserving all existing recordings using UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #3

Replaced Maxtor D540X-4K with Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA/133 HDD

I belive that I can still add another drive for even more capacity if I so desire... (Got a factory refurbished (i believe!) Sony T60 from DirectTV two weeks ago, mounting location and power cable available - even though it came with a SN of 5xxxxxxx, it had a single 40GB drive instead of two as I thought it might from the FAQ)

Now onto MNF! (Monday Night Football)

Mikegia5
01-02-2003, 09:46 AM
To Tiger and Hinsdale - Thanks for doing a great job. I upgraded my HDVR2 yesterday to a WD1600 (160gb) and your part of it was very smooth. They only problems I had were trying to configure my CD as a slave, but once that was done, it was fast and painless.

Mike

yotta
01-06-2003, 03:53 AM
I upgraded my HDR212 to a 120GB Friday. Seemless. You rock.

BrianGoetz
01-07-2003, 04:38 AM
I've got a DSR6000 DirectTivo. I added an 80G Seagate drive to the 40G Quantum it came with, giving me 120G. I've been having problems which I identified as thermal (playback was fine when drives were cooled, problems when they were not.) I decided to combine the two drives back into a single 120G drive to reduce the total heat (and noise.) I bought a Samsung 1204 for the target drive.

When running mfsbackup like this:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

it reported that the target drive was not big enough for the entire backup. Same was true without the '-s 127', and same was true with backing up with -tao. (I didn't try -tao and omitting -s 127 because I was getting frustrated.)

Any advice on what I can do to restore my current A+B drives, including recordings, onto a new A which is sized to theoretically be as big as the two? Would deleting recordings help?

Help please!

Robert S
01-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately there's no way to shrink a TiVo image and keep recordings. What are the exact drive sizes? (The BIOS should declare the drive sizes in Mb on boot - the Quantum is 40026Mb, for example).

If the difference is just a few Mb you could use -s with a number lower than its default (64) to shrink the image slightly. I estimate you need about 40Mb of swap for your TiVo to recover from a GSOD, so don't dial it down more than you absolutely have to.

BrianGoetz
01-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Here's what I did to make it work:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -zpi - /dev/hdc

I dropped the -x (as recommended by several troubleshooting posts here) and the -s 127 (relying on the default, which I didn't know what it was, but do now), and it worked. Neither by themselves did it, but together they did.

The drive sizes added up almost exactly, so I guess it was the extra swap that pushed me over the edge.

Have I hosed myself, or am I good to go here?

Thanks!

(btw, to fuel the "my hard drive is quieter than yours" debate, the Samsung 120G (model 1204) HD seems much quieter than the Quantum HD that came with Tivo.)

ghazib
01-09-2003, 06:39 PM
To Tiger and Hinsdale -- A sincere thank you for making it possible to so seamlessly upgrade my Tivo.

I went from a dead (harddrive) Sony SVR2000 w/ 30GB to an alive and kicking 140GB Tivo box.

The whole upgrade took 45 mins -- 30 mins of that was getting my old win98 PC to boot.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Another satisfied customer

Weez
01-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Is there a way to backup the /var/hack partition while using mfstools 2.0?

Robert S
01-20-2003, 04:15 PM
dd if=/dev/hdc14 of=/mnt/dos/hack.bak ?

Weez
01-20-2003, 05:39 PM
dd if=/dev/hdc14 of=/mnt/dos/hack.bak ?

Ok lemme ask it a different way ;)

Is there a way using mfsbackup (or any other tool for that matter) to create a compressed image of my tivo drive? Been playing with my s2 dtivo quite abit lately and would like to be able to restore images with all of the stable hacks in place rather then doing them manually over and over...

Robert S
01-21-2003, 07:42 AM
How does what I suggested fail to achieve that?

boomboom69
01-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Ok I need help. when I download MSFtools and try to burn it to CD I use easy cd creator and copy of cd image and burn it. It burns it all but the disk isn't bootable. I'm getting a little confused cause I've never used linux always been a windows man. Any help would be great.

Robert S
01-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Are you using the non-Joliet version linked in Hinsdale? The original MFS Tools 2.0 CD has known issues booting in most PC's.

boomboom69
01-25-2003, 12:31 PM
I was trying the non juliet version but when I look at the files in windows there is no boot up files just four folders and two html files

nlaredo
01-25-2003, 10:14 PM
I successfully upgraded my Sony T60 from an 80GB
single drive to a 120GB single drive setup without
losing a single setting or program. This is awesome!

System Information now shows 109 hours...

The unfortunate part was that it took 5 hours to
do the mfsbackup | mfsrestore, but in the end it was
well worth the wait to have an extra 30 hours and
and still keep a bay free for another 120GB drive
later that should be able to take me to 218 hours.

Before I found this I was afraid I was going to have
to use my virgin 2.5 backup and re-setup all my
season passes and lose all my recordings. Things
have gotten a LOT better in the year between
buying the 120GB drive and actually getting around
to finally installing it!

-- Nathan Laredo

Freakeao
01-30-2003, 04:23 PM
My B drive died and I getting a replacement sent to me.

In the mean time, can I backup my A drive and restore it back to itself to preserve my season passes?

I know that I would lose all recordings and that is fine.

TIA

boomboom69
01-30-2003, 04:27 PM
I still can't figure out what is wrong with burning this damn linux boot cd. I'm using the files linked from hinsdales guides and it burns a bunch of stuff but it doesn't boot. What's the difference anyway from the floppy and the cd?

Robert S
01-31-2003, 06:44 AM
Freakeao: Your system is hosed! You'll have to start from a backup file, I'm afraid. None of the current tools can help you recover anything from the A drive.

boomboom: MFS Tools is the same on the CD and floppy. The only extra you need if you use the floppy is qunlock.

weaknees
01-31-2003, 08:21 AM
boomboom69 -

Did you try the "NoJ" or non-Joliet version of the CD image? Many people have better luck with that. It's here:

http://hellcat.tyger.org/MFS/2.0/

Michael

boomboom69
01-31-2003, 10:45 AM
Yeah I have tried the non Juliet and like I said it burns and I can even look at the 4 folders and such in windows from the cd, but when I boot it says cd boot fail like it does if I don't have a bootable cd in and it goes to windows. the floppy however will boot no problem but in windows I can't even look at anything on it just says I need to format disk. I've never used linux so I'm not sure if that's weird or not. It's just frustrating. I'm wondering though. if the cd mfs tools is the same as the floppy then why is it so recomended and it is a 10.3mb download compared to the floppy.

dbfoxnh
01-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi Tiger!

Was wondering if you were able to put fsck and fdisk on the CD as well.

My TiVo is dead at the moment because the partition table got corrupted apparently. I followed the Hinsdale instructions to the letter. I'm hoping that fsck can resurrect the partition table so I can continue with the upgrade and mfsbackup.

Another question... I burned a CD with the kit on it and found that I was unable to boot it on my PC. I set the boot order for the CD first. It apparently tried but continued on to boot Windows 98. I've burned another CD and will try that next. I'm not sure why it couldn't read the boot block and continue on. I recopied your kit today. Any ideas?

Thanks!

David

Robert S
01-31-2003, 06:30 PM
fdisk is on the disk, it's called pdisk.

fsck repairs filing systems, not partition tables.

Windows 98 will not corrupt your TiVo drive, only Windows NT (2000, XP) does that.

dbfoxnh
02-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear that fdisk, is on the CD as pdisk. In my experience with UNIX systems it still would be worthwhile to check the file system with fsck. If it isn't there it could rebuild it looking for the i-nodes.

So is fsck on the CD too or do I need to find a friend with a Linux system to run fsck on the TiVo drive?

Thanks!

David