PDA

View Full Version : PyTivo page reported unsafe by Norton Internet Security

bgc
02-13-2012, 12:56 AM
pytivo.sourceforge.net is being flagged as a malicious site by Norton Internet Security.

This shows the report.

http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=pytivo.sourceforge.net

smbaker
02-13-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm not convinced. False positive?

From the description:

"Trojan.ADH is a detection technology designed to detect entirely new malware threats without traditional signatures. This technology is aimed at detecting malicious software that has been intentionally mutated or morphed by attackers. "

Detecting viruses without signatures sounds a little iffy to me.

wmcbrine
02-13-2012, 01:04 PM
I contacted them to get it reevaluated. In the meantime I went ahead and deleted the three-year-old version of the pyTivo Windows Installer that it was complaining about, along with the other (even older) versions in that folder -- I didn't even realize that stuff was still there. But the old .exe was still coming up if you went to pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/download (nee pytivo.krkeegan.com/download), which was the source of the "drive-by download" complaint. That link will come up 404 now, so I hope that satisfies them. (I'm not quite sure how to kill the redirect entirely...)

bgc
02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
I had the pytivo page bookmarked and accidentally clicked it when I got the warning. I recently upgraded to NIS 2012 from 2011. I went to the pytivo page many times a few weeks ago while still using NIS 2011 and didn't get any warnings at that time.

wmcbrine
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes, undoubtedly they changed their detection methods (to something bogus). I don't think those files were ever infected.

Anyway, they've given it the OK now.