PDA

View Full Version : Survivor South Pacific ood 12/7/11

betts4
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Cochran gave it a decent go there with the maze thing.

Brandon is just a trip and a half. Brandon's dad = Russell's brother? He looks like he could be.

I give Edna 5 stars for trying to persuade and change the vote. She did some good work there, even in the tribal council, but you could see by the silence that it wasn't going to work.

And Ozzie!!! you should have given Rick time with his wife. He is the only married one.

VegasVic
12-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Yup that's Russell's brother.

Can't blame Edna for trying everything she could. But she never really played the game until the end. She rode along with coach. And I don't have any sympathy for crying in this game.

JFriday
12-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Brandon is just a trip and a half. Brandon's dad = Russell's brother? He looks like he could be.

Well he's Russell's nephew and they both have the last name Hantz could it be any other way?

Boston Fan
12-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Brandon's dad = Russell's brother? He looks like he could be.
Well he's Russell's nephew and they both have the last name Hantz could it be any other way?
Jeff introduced him as Russell's brother at the RI challenge.

steve614
12-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Is this the first time Survivor used Loony Tunes(TM) sound effects during a challenge? It seemed really out of place for me, although I did find it amusing.
I was SO hoping Cochran would beat Ozzie, and he almost did. Did I not predict that the challenge would be suited for Cochran in last weeks' thread? :p

betts4
12-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Yup that's Russell's brother.

Can't blame Edna for trying everything she could. But she never really played the game until the end. She rode along with coach. And I don't have any sympathy for crying in this game.

Jeff introduced him as Russell's brother at the RI challenge.

okay, alright already! I missed that. :o

bryhamm
12-08-2011, 12:40 AM
People are trying to make their moves just a bit too late.

dfergie
12-08-2011, 01:53 AM
I felt sorry for Edna, Brandon is a real Psycho but he is not win able so will make it to the final 3 ...

KyleLC
12-08-2011, 03:43 AM
ood?

jradosh
12-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Russle calling his dad "bro" was strange. I was glad, though, to see that Russle's dad could see how poorly he was playing the game. :)

Magister
12-08-2011, 06:55 AM
I thought the expression on Brandon's Dad's face when he was explaining his Christian mission on Survivor was great. 'Umm, you need to take care of your family'

Jeeters
12-08-2011, 07:19 AM
I didn't quite get the excuse the Coach gave Edna for why they the others wouldn't vote out Brandon: Because they didn't want to send him to RI for fear that he'd beat Ozzy.
...So they don't want Brandon coming back into the game, therefore they'd rather keep in in the game? Or was it because they want Ozzy to come back into the game? Either way: :confused:

loubob57
12-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Aargh! My TiVo locked up and didn't record this episode! I'll have to get my updates here. So is RI over? Is Ozzy back in the tribe?

heySkippy
12-08-2011, 07:52 AM
So is RI over? Is Ozzy back in the tribe?

No & no.

You can watch the episode at cbs.com.

jradosh
12-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I didn't quite get the excuse the Coach gave Edna for why they the others wouldn't vote out Brandon: Because they didn't want to send him to RI for fear that he'd beat Ozzy.
...So they don't want Brandon coming back into the game, therefore they'd rather keep in in the game? Or was it because they want Ozzy to come back into the game? Either way: :confused:

I think they don't want a pissed-off ("you voted me out, now DIE!!!") Brandon to come back into the game :eek:

Jebberwocky!
12-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Did I not predict that the challenge would be suited for Cochran in last weeks' thread? :p

You may have but this challenge was not suited for Cochran in any manner. Unless jerking the pulleys up and down is a good strategy. That said, he almost pulled it off if we can believe what they showed us.

Pretty much any challenge that incorporated eye to hand coordination would not be good for Cochran.

How about the previews for next week's show? Could Ozzie be in trouble or are they just messing with us.

betts4
12-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I think they don't want a pissed-off ("you voted me out, now DIE!!!") Brandon to come back into the game :eek:

After the conversation with Ozzie, I am thinking Coach wants - Coach, Ozzie, Brandon at the final tribal. It would be interesting to see who wins between Coach and Ozzie.

ducker
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Brandon is a bozo... and is a safe person to bring to the final 3.
he's shown multiple times that he is not well spoken, so it isn't like he is going to wooo the jury with his final comments.

imho - Rick the wall flower should have been bumped out.
Again - Coach, and the others are playing an ultra safe (read: booooooring) game.
The problem is that everyone feels safe with their inner alliances with each other.

the "big move" that they made was partnering up with Cochran. Edna and Cochran's only prayer was to shake things up before the last of the "other" tribe were voted out. But again -- so much hatred towards Cochran, and so much cool-aid drank at Coach's camp, that no one else was making moves aside from Cochran.
*yawn*

WO312
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
You may have but this challenge was not suited for Cochran in any manner. Unless jerking the pulleys up and down is a good strategy. That said, he almost pulled it off if we can believe what they showed us.

Pretty much any challenge that incorporated eye to hand coordination would not be good for Cochran.

How about the previews for next week's show? Could Ozzie be in trouble or are they just messing with us.

I can't believe they would tell us up front about Ozzy losing. I think they are playing with us.

pendragn
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I was amused when Coach was saying that all the Hantzs played the same. I know he's lived with them both and I haven't, but they don't seem the least bit the same to me. Not at all. Russell is methodical, smart, and mostly cool under pressure. Brandon is dumb, reckless, impulsive, and holding on to sanity by a string. Their styles are completely different to me.

tk

pmyers
12-08-2011, 10:30 AM
The only thing that could be better than Cochran beating Ozzie is Edna beating Ozzie!!!

JFriday
12-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I think coach was mainly referring to the brother, he was spot on that he was trying to bully him. The brother seemed as aggressive as Russell. Loved the look on his face when he was talking to Brandon.

Anubys
12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
The only thing that could be better than Cochran beating Ozzie is Edna beating Ozzie!!!

I really thought they were foreshadowing Ozzi's loss to Cochran. It seems like they always show people say something very confidently just before the opposite happen.

I guess they just did it to make the drama even more compelling since they knew that the dual was close (or that they could make the duel look close).

Sooner or later, a puzzle challenge is going to come and Ozzie will be in trouble (either in RI or if he comes back into the game).

bryhamm
12-08-2011, 11:05 AM
After the conversation with Ozzie, I am thinking Coach wants - Coach, Ozzie, Brandon at the final tribal. It would be interesting to see who wins between Coach and Ozzie.

My guess is Ozzie. Most of the people on the jury would not want any of the 5 left in Coach's tribe winning

heySkippy
12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Bah, Ozzie winning would be the lowest of the low points of Survivor history. Voted out twice and allowed back in and wins. Retch. :(

If Coach finds himself in the final against Ozzie, he must hammer this home to the jury.

pendragn
12-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I think coach was mainly referring to the brother, he was spot on that he was trying to bully him. The brother seemed as aggressive as Russell. Loved the look on his face when he was talking to Brandon.

I agree that Russell and his brother were the same.

tk

Jebberwocky!
12-08-2011, 11:44 AM
there is only one Russell - the only resemblance I saw between the brothers was in the eyes :)

Behavior wise, the Brother is closer then Nephew but not the same.

pendragn
12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Bah, Ozzie winning would be the lowest of the low points of Survivor history. Voted out twice and allowed back in and wins. Retch. :(
I think this is really caused by the stupid, stupid way that redemption island is handled. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. I would not hate it so much you could only come back into the game once, but coming back into the game twice is lunacy.

If Coach finds himself in the final against Ozzie, he must hammer this home to the jury.

I agree this makes a good talking point, but it's not Ozzy's fault. He's just playing the game according the rules set up. I'd hate to see him follow the rules but lose out on the million because the rules suck.

tk

debtoine
12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh how I wish they'd have voted out Brandon last night.

Jeff Probst usually tweets live during the episode, but not last night because he was

getting married.

I think this is one of the few times on Survivor when that original 5 type alliance says they're taking each other to the end and they actually kept their word. Let the cannibalization begin!

deb

InterMurph
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM

At this point, nobody can beat Coach in the finals.

The bozos in his alliance apparently did not watch the previous season, in which Boston Rob wrote the playbook that Coach is now reading.

I thought Sophie would have that figured out by now.

Jeeters
12-08-2011, 12:55 PM
there is only one Russell - the only resemblance I saw between the brothers was in the eyes :)

Behavior wise, the Brother is closer then Nephew but not the same.I thought the brother trying to manipulate and bully Coach to be very much like Russell. Where have we ever seen a visitor insert themselves into the game like that before? Definitely a Hantz move.

DreadPirateRob
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Bah. You keep saying this, but conveniently ignore the fact that he engineered the first vote-out as part of an overall strategy.

I agree this makes a good talking point, but it's not Ozzy's fault. He's just playing the game according the rules set up. I'd hate to see him follow the rules but lose out on the million because the rules suck.

Agreed. The first vote-out was a strategy designed to take advantage of the current rules of the game. Why should we hold that againt him? It would have worked out beautifully if Cochran wasn't such a needy whiner.

DreadPirateRob
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
At this point, nobody can beat Coach in the finals.

If Ozzie makes it that far, I think he wins. The jury makeup will be 4 Savaii, 4 Upolu, and Cochran. We know Ozzie has the 4 Savaii votes, whereas Coach could potentially lose 1 or more of the 4 Upolu votes (i.e. Edna looks like a possibility) depending on how well he handles their exits. And then there's Cochran, who has no love for Ozzie, but certainly feels betrayed by Coach.

DreadPirateRob
12-08-2011, 01:14 PM
And Ozzie!!! you should have given Rick time with his wife. He is the only married one.

In my opinion, (immediate) family is family, so I don't think anyone has a stronger claim than anyone else. Now, if it's like a cousin or just a friend or something, sure, that's a weaker claim.

I also think Ozzy was playing strategy there, hoping that by removing Coach/Albert/Brandon from the camp, that the others would be able to come up with a blindside, so that he could then take one of them out at RI.

loubob57
12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
If Ozzie makes it that far, I think he wins. The jury makeup will be 4 Savaii, 4 Upolu, and Cochran. We know Ozzie has the 4 Savaii votes, whereas Coach could potentially lose 1 or more of the 4 Upolu votes (i.e. Edna looks like a possibility) depending on how well he handles their exits. And then there's Cochran, who has no love for Ozzie, but certainly feels betrayed by Coach.

All the years of watching this make me say we don't know how anybody is going to vote.

Anubys
12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't think Sophie or Albert are going to let Coach get to the end. I suspect yesterday's vote would have been a lot different had Coach not won II. They would have at least tried to flush out the HII.

heySkippy
12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Bah. You keep saying this, but conveniently ignore the fact that he engineered the first vote-out as part of an overall strategy.
I think I've only said it once before, but nonetheless, I. Don't. Care. He should be gone already. Twice.

DevdogAZ
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I saw that too. I hope they're not just messing with us. Would be awesome to see Ozzy lose to Edna.
My guess is Ozzie. Most of the people on the jury would not want any of the 5 left in Coach's tribe winning
Not so sure about that. If the final 3 is Coach, Ozzy, Brandon, then the jury will consist of: Jim, Keith, Dawn, Whitney, Cochran, Edna, Rick, Sophie, and Albert. While we can be pretty confident that Jim, Keith, Dawn, and Whitney would vote for Ozzy, we don't know how the other five would vote. If they all stayed true to Coach, then Ozzy wouldn't win.

DevdogAZ
12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think Sophie or Albert are going to let Coach get to the end. I suspect yesterday's vote would have been a lot different had Coach not won II. They would have at least tried to flush out the HII.
I'm not sure they'll have a choice. If Coach is smart, he'll play the HII next time when there are five people voting at TC. That will get him to the final four. Once there, at worst, he'll have a tie of 2-2 depending on who gets voted out at 5 and who comes back from RI and when.

pmyers
12-08-2011, 02:11 PM
The only thing I'll remember Rick by is him grabbing his wife's *ss!

DreadPirateRob
12-08-2011, 02:17 PM
All the years of watching this make me say we don't know how anybody is going to vote.

This is absolutely true, of course.

mcb08
12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
ood?
"Originally On Date"?

Magister
12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I thought the brother trying to manipulate and bully Coach to be very much like Russell. Where have we ever seen a visitor insert themselves into the game like that before? Definitely a Hantz move.

Johnny Fairplay's friend had a big impact when he visited. One of my favorite Survivor moments of all time.

laria
12-08-2011, 02:43 PM

I don't get this... why should the married guy be categorized higher than someone with their parent or sibling?

pendragn
12-08-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't get this... why should the married guy be categorized higher than someone with their parent or sibling?

I spend every single day with my wife. She is a very integral part of my daily routine and I miss it when I'm not with her. I love my parents to death, but being away from them for 30 days is not as emotionally devastating to me since I'm used it to. Being away from my wife for 30 days would make me miserable. Getting a few hours with her would mean a ton more to me than spending a few hours with my parents.

I'm not saying married folks should always get it, but I do think the return is higher with a spouse than a parent or sibling.

tk

plateau10
12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
I spend every single day with my wife. She is a very integral part of my daily routine and I miss it when I'm not with her. I love my parents to death, but being away from them for 30 days is not as emotionally devastating to me since I'm used it to. Being away from my wife for 30 days would make me miserable. Getting a few hours with her would mean a ton more to me than spending a few hours with my parents.

I'm not saying married folks should always get it, but I do think the return is higher with a spouse than a parent or sibling.

tk

Well, that and sex.

BradJW
12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

I think Cochran realizes this is a game for a million dollars. I think he probably forgot all about being betrayed by the time he got to redemption island.

betts4
12-08-2011, 03:08 PM

tk

This.

I suppose it was better strategically for Coach and for him to see how Brandon's dad was reacting, but maybe Albert could have given up his spot with his mom for his buddy Rick. Though, I guess Albert has already given up a massage.

pendragn
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Though, I guess Albert has already given up a massage.

Which was weird that Albert gave up his massage to a person (Cochran) he was going to vote off next. Talk about a terrible investment.

tk

Boston Fan
12-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Which was weird that Albert gave up his massage to a person (Cochran) he was going to vote off next. Talk about a terrible investment.

tk
He was trying to curry favor for Cochran's jury vote.

pendragn
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
He was trying to curry favor for Cochran's jury vote.

That makes sense. At the time he said he was doing it in case they won a food reward down the road. Cochran wasn't going to be around for any more rewards, which confused me.

tk

pmyers
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM

tk

I'd give it to whoever was going to benifit ME more, regardless of what the relationship was.

pendragn
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd give it to whoever was going to benifit ME more, regardless of what the relationship was.

So would I. That's what we're talking about. How do you determine who it is going to benefit most, so that it benefits you the most? It will likely benefit married folks most, so depending on the dynamic that may result in the most benefit to you.

tk

Jeeters
12-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I'd give it to whoever was going to benifit ME more, regardless of what the relationship was.+1

Rick *chose* to be a away from his wife. I don't think I need to help ease his emotional "devastation" when it was his choice to put himself into the situation. Unless it helps me.

JFriday
12-08-2011, 04:46 PM
+1

Rick *chose* to be a away from his wife. I don't think I need to help ease his emotional "devastation" when it was his choice to put himself into the situation. Unless it helps me.

He also chose his wife, the others had no choice in who they are related to. ;)

pmyers
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
So would I. That's what we're talking about. How do you determine who it is going to benefit most, so that it benefits you the most? It will likely benefit married folks most, so depending on the dynamic that may result in the most benefit to you.

tk

Rick would probably vote for whoever he's told to vote for...not sure I'd waste my time trying to win his favor.

DevdogAZ
12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, that and sex.
You really think so? They only had a few hours together, and were in the jungle surrounded by cameras. When would they have had an opportunity for that?

brianric
12-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Dalton'd blog

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivor-south-pacific-episode-13/

DreadPirateRob
12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I think Cochran realizes this is a game for a million dollars.

But not for him. Not anymore.

So now he has to vote to give a million dollars to one of two people who he probably feels mistreated him, one of whom (Coach) did so most recently.

I guess he could always vote for Brandon (or whomever else fills that 3rd slot in this hypothetical), but he's too big of a fan of the game to vote for a crazy person. :)

Anubys
12-08-2011, 07:23 PM
You really think so? They only had a few hours together, and were in the jungle surrounded by cameras. When would they have had an opportunity for that?

You just said they had a few hours!

heySkippy
12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
3 Ponderosa videos with Cochran at cbs.com.

JFriday
12-08-2011, 11:58 PM
don't they usually have 3 ponderosa videos of everyone?

laria
12-09-2011, 09:31 AM
don't they usually have 3 ponderosa videos of everyone?

I think he was just letting people know they were up now... they don't post them right away.

JFriday
12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
I think he was just letting people know they were up now... they don't post them right away.

Oh ok. thought he had been missing a couple every week.

pmyers
12-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Dalton'd blog

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivor-south-pacific-episode-13/

Dalton was on FIRE this week!

VegasVic
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Dalton was on FIRE this week!

a special enHantzed loved ones episode..... :up:

bryhamm
12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Not so sure about that. If the final 3 is Coach, Ozzy, Brandon, then the jury will consist of: Jim, Keith, Dawn, Whitney, Cochran, Edna, Rick, Sophie, and Albert. While we can be pretty confident that Jim, Keith, Dawn, and Whitney would vote for Ozzy, we don't know how the other five would vote. If they all stayed true to Coach, then Ozzy wouldn't win.

Then it would come down to cochran. Isolated by Ozzie (and that tribe) and used by Coach (and that tribe). It would be a toss up.

But I don't picture Edna, Rick, Sophie and Albert all voting for Coach. All it would take is one of them to feel betrayed and they don't vote for Coach. My guess is Edna at this point. She now knows she was used as a 6th person and nothing more. She might not want to give her vote to anyone from that tribe, and especially Coach since she felt closest with him.

bryhamm
12-09-2011, 01:02 PM

tk

Agreed. My order would be:

spouse > parent/child > sibling

pmyers
12-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't think Cochran feels betrayed by Coach. I do think that he is not fond of Ozzy though.

DreadPirateRob
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I think I've only said it once before, but nonetheless, I. Don't. Care. He should be gone already. Twice.

Have you said it a lot in the threads for previous eps? I probably shouldn't have singled you out, but I know I've seen that meme pop up ever since he got voted out (again).

WO312
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
........My guess is Edna at this point. She now knows she was used as a 6th person and nothing more. She might not want to give her vote to anyone from that tribe, and especially Coach since she felt closest with him.

I didn't get all the whining from Edna. I remember episodes from much earlier in the season where she knew she was the 6th person but then Coach took her under her wing to reassure her. Smart move on his part, at least at that point.

fmowry
12-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Late to the commentary as I watched it last night, but Rick went the whole first 5 episodes without being spotted so 10 minutes with his wife isn't a stretch.

betts4
12-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Late to the commentary as I watched it last night, but Rick went the whole first 5 episodes without being spotted so 10 minutes with his wife isn't a stretch.

Oh come on, 20 minutes. :p And I think it could be possible.