PDA

View Full Version : Eureka "Do You See What I See" 12/6/2011

cheesesteak
12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
I thought the various animation sequences were pretty cool, especially when they turned into ass kickers.

"Are you guys looking up my dress?" "Noooo."

Rob Helmerichs
12-07-2011, 05:48 PM
It was good.

Warehouse 13 was better, but Eureka was good.

And Haven was OK. Considering that I'm opposed to special Christmas episodes on general principle (mainly because in principle, they generally suck), it was a good night!

betts4
12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I missed the original broadcast but am happy that it will be rerunning a few more times. I'll be back after I watch it tomorrow.

Craigbob
12-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Maybe I'm not sappy for Christmas, but while I thought there were some cute moments in there, but overall I thought the episode Meh....

A couple of questions What was Jo doing there? She left at the end of the last episode. and Jenna seemed to age quite a bit from the last time I remember seeing her.

Rob Helmerichs
12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Last year's Xmas Ep was also pretty far out-of-continuity. As SARAH said, (paraphrasing) "Maybe this happened, and maybe it didn't."

Vendikarr
12-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe I'm not sappy for Christmas, but while I thought there were some cute moments in there, but overall I thought the episode Meh....

A couple of questions What was Jo doing there? She left at the end of the last episode. and Jenna seemed to age quite a bit from the last time I remember seeing her.

Christmas episodes are generally out of continuity.

Assume this was set some time before the season finale.

cthomp
12-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Possible spoiler, you have been warned!

Noticed both Carter and Allison were wearing rings on their left hand. Did I miss an episode?

Hunter Green
12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
This must have been a blast for the writers because every time they asked themselves "can we go this silly? should we?" they allowed themselves to say "yes". I think it worked because it went so far. Also, how the heck did they get Edward James Olmos for a 15-second voice cameo?

DouglasPHill
12-08-2011, 06:10 AM
I thought the ep was a total waste of time.

justen_m
12-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I loved this episode. I was literally LOL many, many times. Sure, it didn't advance any type of story arc, but this is Eureka we're talking about. Personally, I thought this was the best of the three Christmas specials on Syfy, followed by W13, then Haven. I guess I prefer the funny, silly holiday specials.

cheesesteak
12-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Has the spaceship to Titan taken off yet? Zane, Henry's wife and Fargo's gf weren't in this episode.

Rob Helmerichs
12-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Last year's Xmas Ep was also pretty far out-of-continuity. As SARAH said, (paraphrasing) "Maybe this happened, and maybe it didn't."

Bierboy
12-08-2011, 09:05 AM

You smeeked yourself...:D

Rob Helmerichs
12-08-2011, 09:19 AM
You smeeked yourself...:D
Apparently, it didn't sink in the first time. :D

Hmm252000
12-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Considering the dud of a Christmas special they had last year, I didn't have high expectations. Having said that, I really enjoyed this one. Lots of laughs for me! Too bad they didn't have more time to do the South Park and Simpsons/Futurama styles. :)

My DVR cutoff the credits, was that Jim Parsons as the voice of the Jeep?

Noticed both Carter and Allison were wearing rings on their left hand. Did I miss an episode?

This is episode 5-11, so it's very possible they get married in the next 10 episodes.

busyba
12-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Also, how the heck did they get Edward James Olmos for a 15-second voice cameo?

I missed that! Was he one of the sleigh dogs?

I did however recognize the Jeep's voice as being Sheldon from BBT.

busyba
12-08-2011, 11:17 AM

Now we're putting spoiler tags around things that appeared in the episode we're discussing? Really???

Peter000
12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I thought the ep was a total waste of time.

Well the whole series is a "waste of time," but a FUN waste of time. :)

I thought this was one of the best Christmas episodes of any show I've seen.

Sadara
12-08-2011, 11:54 AM

The timing on this one struck me odd also. I didn't expect to Jo in this episode since she left. So, I decided to watch it as a fun episode only and not try to dissect the story line.

Rob Helmerichs
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM

busyba
12-08-2011, 01:50 PM
There seemed to be a lot of continuity errors in this episode, relative to the other episodes of the season. What's up with that?!?

Rob Helmerichs
12-08-2011, 01:55 PM
:D

(generic text to preserve the upper-caseness of the smiley)

pteronaut
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm surprised that they turned Taggart into a bear, and not utilized a CGI Matt Frewer in the first section.

generaltso
12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm surprised that they turned Taggart into a bear, and not utilized a CGI Matt Frewer in the first section.

Would have been better if they turned him into Max Headroom.

pteronaut
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
That's the point, they probably couldn't get the rights for MH, and it wouldn't fit with a Christmas special, but they could have paid homage to the show just by including Taggart in that section.

Rob Helmerichs
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Maybe they couldn't get Frewer...I can't remember, was he in any of the live-action scenes?

generaltso
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Maybe they couldn't get Frewer...I can't remember, was he in any of the live-action scenes?

Yeah, he was in the live action scene at the end.

betts4
12-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I would have liked less of the cell drawn and claymation and more of the anime, but, all in all, it was a neat episode. I chuckled at the Jeep and it's complaints about being squashed, shot into space and everything else. I wonder if Carter will continue to call his Jeep "Carl". It was just a fun, silly, Christmas show.

Hunter Green
12-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I missed that! Was he one of the sleigh dogs?
Yes, the one who did most of the talking, Rudy as I recall. He had the obligatory uplifting morale speech with Andy about fitting in versus being yourself. I recognized the voice, my wife didn't believe me, so we went back and went through the guest credits to confirm.

cthomp
12-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Now we're putting spoiler tags around things that appeared in the episode we're discussing? Really???

When it could be about the last season, yes.

betts4
12-09-2011, 08:24 AM
When it could be about the last season, yes.

Don't you mean next season? Nothing happened like that last season.

At least not that I remember.

busyba
12-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Don't you mean next season? Nothing happened like that last season.

At least not that I remember.

I think he's saying theeee last season, as in next season, which reportedly will be the final season of the series.

I also think he thinks speculation are spoilers. They aren't.

betts4
12-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I think he's saying theeee last season, as in next season, which reportedly will be the final season of the series.

Ah. Thanks! I was thinking he meant the previous season. Got it!
And it may be speculation, but not a surprise.

Pretty cool article - may be sort of spoilers for next season but not really -

http://www.tvovermind.com/eureka/eureka-christmas-special-colin-ferguson-qa/110666

busyba
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Pretty cool article - may be sort of spoilers for next season but not really -

http://www.tvovermind.com/eureka/eureka-christmas-special-colin-ferguson-qa/110666

Here's an interesting revelation about this episode from the article:

As to where this story fits into the series' ongoing continuum Colin illuminated, "It exists out of time"

That's pretty cool!

DouglasPHill
12-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Not directly related to this Christmas ep, I pretty much figured out I hate all summer shows that come back with a Christmas ep. My entire family of adults and teenagers found this 2011 season of Eureka to be a big loser. This whole alternative timeline just hasn't worked for us. Don't know what the upcoming "last" season will bring, but my expectations are very, very low.

Idearat
12-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Since it was Eureka, it was obvious there'd be some complicated predicament they'd have to work their way out of. When the kids started reading the Holo book though, the beginning of the book sounded like the rules of the game in Jumanji. That gave a hint that the story had to be be played out before it would end.

Peter000
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
This whole alternative timeline just hasn't worked for us.
You're still thinking of this as an "alternative" timeline? It was barely mentioned last season (only in relation to Zane and Jo's relationship), and they aren't even trying to get back to the other timeline anymore. For all intents and purposes I think we're supposed to accept this as the permanent timeline.

LoadStar
12-10-2011, 12:35 PM
You're still thinking of this as an "alternative" timeline? It was barely mentioned last season (only in relation to Zane and Jo's relationship), and they aren't even trying to get back to the other timeline anymore. For all intents and purposes I think we're supposed to accept this as the permanent timeline.

Agreed. Perhaps that was the fault of the show in not making that as clear as it could be, but I thought it was obvious to me that this was the "new normal."

It's my opinion that the real reason for the time travel story from last season was really to allow the show to change a whole bunch of minor and not so minor things about the show that the show producers felt needed changing, without having to tell a story about each one... or just pass them off with a hand wave.

busyba
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Agreed. It was a reboot.

Rob Helmerichs
12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I think it ended up that way, but for a while they were paying way too much attention to the new timeline. I think they originally planned on doing something with it, and then changed their minds.

DouglasPHill
12-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow, another senior moment for me. Now that you point it out, I see they rebooted. Now my expectations for next year are really, really low. lol

LoadStar
12-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I think it ended up that way, but for a while they were paying way too much attention to the new timeline. I think they originally planned on doing something with it, and then changed their minds.

I'm not as convinced. I don't think they really spent any undue amount of time talking about the "new timeline," unless they ran into instances where they needed to acknowledge that something had changed.

busyba
12-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Well, they had to pay some attention to it. They couldn't just show up and say, "oh well... this is our lives now". They had to get to that moment, and I'm glad they spent more than half an episode doing it.

I think it was the plan all along.

TonyD79
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Not directly related to this Christmas ep, I pretty much figured out I hate all summer shows that come back with a Christmas ep. My entire family of adults and teenagers found this 2011 season of Eureka to be a big loser. This whole alternative timeline just hasn't worked for us. Don't know what the upcoming "last" season will bring, but my expectations are very, very low.

Hmm. I always ask this when the reboot is mentioned. Just what did they change? Basically, they broke up Jo's relationship and made the kid normal. That's it really. Nothing else really changed. How does that destroy the show for you or anyone?

Hunter Green
12-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Since you ask, there's also the change in Fargo's and Alyson's roles, and Henry's new wife. And yeah, I really don't see the big deal.

betts4
12-13-2011, 06:06 AM
They also re-instated Jack's relationship with Tess, which after her going to australia, and them trying to make it work, they had just broken up.

Fargo's change was a big deal. It was a change that gave him confidence in his character and he stopped being so whiney to being more in control. Alyson learned about the path not taken, that she had taken. Henry was able to love someone besides Kim.

I think it was a change about what these characters had been in the new timeline (before they showed up) and how when the group showed up there, they learned these things and adjusted to it. As Busyba said, I am also glad it wasn't done in one episode and then boom they were readjusted.

Eddief66
12-13-2011, 06:38 AM
There was only one reason to have the different timeline and that was so they could change the Archimedes statue from granite to bronze.

Frylock
12-13-2011, 07:54 AM
It was good.

Warehouse 13 was better, but Eureka was good.

And Haven was OK. Considering that I'm opposed to special Christmas episodes on general principle (mainly because in principle, they generally suck), it was a good night!

Psych is a great exception. I love me some Christmas Psych!

Big Deficit
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Ummm..for a rare instance I watched the commercials. Is it me, or did they seem to be mainly about sexual devices? Thought it strange in general, but for a holiday special ? OTH, it's nice to see the Trojan company diversifying its offerings.

phox_mulder
12-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Ummm..for a rare instance I watched the commercials. Is it me, or did they seem to be mainly about sexual devices? Thought it strange in general, but for a holiday special ? OTH, it's nice to see the Trojan company diversifying its offerings.

You must have watched a later offering, the earlier airings didn't have those commercials, as near as I could tell FF'ing through them.

phox

Family
12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
As a Eureka fan I thought the episode was horrible. The animation thing really didn't do it for me.

Steveknj
12-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I thought this was a really fun episode, as long as you take it as a one-off....as we did. I try not to over-analyze shows like Eureka, so I just suspend belief and go with it. We had a lot of fun with the animation, trying to pick out styles etc. And it was fun to hear Jim Parsons as "Carl". My 12 year old daughter, who never watches Eureka enjoyed this one as well.

But I just KNEW I'd come here and people would be p*ssed because of continuity issues!! :)

danterner
12-27-2011, 02:45 PM
We similarly took a "don't let the continuity get you down" approach, and enjoyed it for what it was. We did find ourselves distracted by Zoe, though - we spent a lot of the episode trying to figure out if it was the same actress or not. (It was, but something about her seemed different to us).

rondotcom
12-28-2011, 06:15 AM
We similarly took a "don't let the continuity get you down" approach, and enjoyed it for what it was. We did find ourselves distracted by Zoe, though - we spent a lot of the episode trying to figure out if it was the same actress or not. (It was, but something about her seemed different to us).

The fact that it's so long between her appearances she's now 37 years old!

Bierboy
12-30-2011, 08:04 AM
As a Eureka fan I thought the episode was horrible. The animation thing really didn't do it for me.

This.

Finally watched it....what a bag a suckage. I fell asleep two-thirds of the way through it. Woke up and deleted it. Animation sequences were lousy and pointless....

sieglinde
12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
It was OK but closer to meh.

DouglasPHill
12-31-2011, 05:06 AM
Just to summarize what has been happening the last couple seasons. We have a handful of summer shows, 10-13 episodes as opposed to a winter show that should have more. The summer shows end and they all do a throw-away Christmas episode. Some like the Christmas episodes some don't. As soon as the summer shows end, I usually can't wait for them to start up again (next summer). Wouldn't it be better to have a winter episode that was not a throw away, to help satisfy the masses until the next season comes around? If you want to theme it around Christmas thats fine but quit the animation stuff and move the plot forward.

sieglinde
12-31-2011, 08:57 AM
I suspect the winter episode is filmed during the season and is meant to be a "throw away" in case the writers take the show a different direction than the original plan.
Though I do notice, in sitcoms, Mike and Molly comes to mind. The Christmas episode advanced the story line along rather than just being a filler.

holee
12-31-2011, 09:20 AM
One of the upsides of having a self contained winter episode is that it's much more new viewer friendly.

Most folks will get Christmas. It can be tougher to get ongoing subplots.

Bierboy
12-31-2011, 01:47 PM
I can't see how ANY new Eureka viewer would have like this episode....ugh....it was borderline ridiculous with the animation...

LoadStar
12-31-2011, 03:26 PM
This.

Finally watched it....what a bag a suckage. I fell asleep two-thirds of the way through it. Woke up and deleted it. Animation sequences were lousy and pointless....

I can't see how ANY new Eureka viewer would have like this episode....ugh....it was borderline ridiculous with the animation...

Ok... so are you trying to say you didn't like it?

busyba
12-31-2011, 03:34 PM
I can't see how ANY new Eureka viewer would have like this episode....

Maybe you need better glasses.

Bierboy
12-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Ok... so are you trying to say you didn't like it?

Maybe you need better glasses....:rolleyes:

Bierboy
12-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Maybe you need better glasses.

Don't wear glasses....

LoadStar
12-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Maybe you need better glasses....:rolleyes:

Maybe you need to say it a few more times. You didn't quite make yourself clear yet.

sieglinde
01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Good point. This was not for the dedicated Eureka viewer but for someone looking for a feel good Christmas show.