PDA

View Full Version : The Office 12/1

jamesbobo
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I thought this was one of the best episodes this season. Finally, the character of Robert California was put to good use and Andy was really in the hot seat.
I can't say the gym subplot was all that interesting but the rest of the episode made up for it.

rifleman69
12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Nice to see that they brought back the fact that Dwigt owned the building. They need to do something with Andy, he's getting very stale as the boss Phyllis fart jokes notwithstanding.

ElJay
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
This was without a doubt my favorite episode so far this season. There were multiple places where I had to rewind and watch again for a second laugh. The Andy/California dynamic is hilarious.

I was glad to see the ridiculous (IMO) stand-up workspace finally get ridiculed on this show.

trainman
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
But I thought Mrs. California already had a job, as a reporter/producer for an all-news radio station in New York.

jsmeeker
12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
This was without a doubt my favorite episode so far this season. There were multiple places where I had to rewind and watch again for a second laugh. The Andy/California dynamic is hilarious.

I was glad to see the ridiculous (IMO) stand-up workspace finally get ridiculed on this show.

he really needed a treadmill to complete the package.

pudding7
12-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I thought it was an ok episode.

I think the problem with The Office now is that there are too many great characters for 20 minutes of show. Did Meredith say anything this episode? Kelly had one line? Pam's replacement didn't say anything. I know there's always been some element of that, but I feel like it's been the Andy/Jim/Dwight show for too long now. Someone hit Meredith with a car! Get Creed to dip back into the printer toner/hair dye!

Though I did like how Ryan was talking about his foundation putting someone out of business. What kind of charity/foundation puts anyone out of business?

And who is Gabriel? Did Oscar adopt a kid?

Bryanmc
12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I have a stand up desk, have for a couple of years now and I love it. Y'all haters can chill. :D

I thought the best line of the night was Dwight's: "First you get the black people to come, then the white people will come, then you get the black people to stop coming. One step at a time."

rifleman69
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
I thought it was an ok episode.

I think the problem with The Office now is that there are too many great characters for 20 minutes of show. Did Meredith say anything this episode? Kelly had one line? Pam's replacement didn't say anything. I know there's always been some element of that, but I feel like it's been the Andy/Jim/Dwight show for too long now. Someone hit Meredith with a car! Get Creed to dip back into the printer toner/hair dye!

Though I did like how Ryan was talking about his foundation putting someone out of business. What kind of charity/foundation puts anyone out of business?

And who is Gabriel? Did Oscar adopt a kid?

Creed is into flying helicopters on the roof during the workday.

Regina
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Creed is into flying helicopters on the roof during the workday.

When Jim came up on the roof, he told Creed, "I was never here" and Creed said, "How about your friend?" :D:p Got to love Creed-but ITA, we could use more! ;):up::up:

JYoung
12-02-2011, 06:38 PM
But I thought Mrs. California already had a job, as a reporter/producer for an all-news radio station in New York.

I believe you're mistaken.
She had a job as a doctor at County General in Chicago.

ct1
12-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Got to love Creed-but ITA, we could use more! ;):up::up:

I love Creed dearly, but he's really more of a spice to add in small doses, not a main dish. That said, a little more spice would be nice.

maharg18
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I thought this was one of funniest episodes in recent memory. Even my wife loved it and usually she's not a big fan of the show.

uncdrew
12-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I liked dwight's first gym

ct1
12-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I liked dwight's first gym

I must say -- not many gyms have a dedicated phonebook ripping station..

GoHalos
12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
This was one of the more funny episodes in recent memory for me. It had me laughing out loud several times.

The awkwardness of Andy trying to figure out what he was supposed to do was great.

Langree
12-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Jim whispering to Dwight: "You know I have to do it"

Dwight: "I know"

You see it coming, but still funny.

RGM1138
12-04-2011, 12:28 PM

I believe you're mistaken.
She had a job as a doctor at County General in Chicago.

Well, she worked at both of those concerns. Sadly, both went out of business for lack of clients.

Also heard she had a job as an attorney. I wonder how that worked out.

busyba
12-04-2011, 12:32 PM

His foundation was "Wishmakers" or something like that. His implied goal was to put his competition "Make-a-Wish Foundation" out of business, so his foundation would be top dog. Funny stuff. :)

Fish Man
12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Excellent episode!

Proof that the show has potential to be great without Michael.

In some threads I've been in the minority with this opinion, but I tend to love anything that James Spader does.

He was BRILLIANT in this episode, as was Ed Helm's Andy trying to figure out how to deal with the impossible situation.

Add to the mix of the wonderful awkwardness that Andy had to deal with the absolute best "Creed moment" in 3 or 4 seasons and all I can say is "wow"!

Great episode!

mattack
12-05-2011, 10:36 PM
The awkwardness of Andy trying to figure out what he was supposed to do was great.

I dunno.. I enjoyed the episode, but this was almost more stress-worthy than cringeworthy moments of Carell's character.

So he tells the manager to NOT let her have a job, and whenever he tries to say she can't have a job, California acts all mad that he's telling him what to do.

Yeah, I get it, but stressful...

nickels
12-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Obviously implied but spoiler-ed out
The Californians are getting a divorce and the wife wants Andy. This should add some nice tension to the office in upcoming episodes.

Decent episode. The gym plot line had so much more potential. The show is OK but a shell of its former self. Almost time to wrap it up.

betts4
12-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I loved the gym storyline and yes, wish they had done just a little more with it. I chuckled when I saw Gabe there. Of course he would be there!

I would like to see more of Mrs. California. I thought she was a nice addition. Get rid of the Pam temp. and have her in sales while Pam is on maternity leave.

DevdogAZ
12-06-2011, 04:22 PM
This problem was really brought to light early in this season when Robert California made the list of winners and losers. I counted and I think there were 18 members of the regular cast listed on those lists. That's WAY too many regular characters for a 22 minute-per-week show.

aindik
12-06-2011, 04:27 PM
People on the show who are "new" (I'll say, post Andy as new):
Robert
Erin
Gabe

That's pretty much it, right?

People who had been there but aren't:
Michael
Michael's annual love interest

IOW, the show has as many people as it always has had, give or take. No?

MNoelH
12-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I chuckled out loud (which I rarely do with this show) when Jim started climbing the ladder. Chuckled even louder when his shoe fell off and then said "Ow!" each time he hit a rung on the ladder with his shoeless foot because i wa thinking that would really hurt.

mattack
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
This problem was really brought to light early in this season when Robert California made the list of winners and losers. I counted and I think there were 18 members of the regular cast listed on those lists. That's WAY too many regular characters for a 22 minute-per-week show.

Many of them are behind the scenes people on the show (writers), e.g. Mindy Kaling has tweeted that she wrote this week's episode.

Robin
12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
(spoilers are regarding Mrs. California's proposal to Andy at the end...I don't think it needs tags, but I'll keep with it.)

Obviously implied but spoiler-ed out
The Californians are getting a divorce and the wife wants Andy. This should add some nice tension to the office in upcoming episodes.

I don't think they're getting a divorce, I inferred that she has affairs regularly and she was signing Andy up as her next piece on the side.

DevdogAZ
12-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Many of them are behind the scenes people on the show (writers), e.g. Mindy Kaling has tweeted that she wrote this week's episode.

I realize that many of them are also writers. Paul Lieberstein (Toby) is the showrunner. Many of them started out just filling the seats on the set to make the office seem more realistic, but now that they've all been given personalities and regular lines, it's just way too many characters to properly service on a regular basis.

daveak
12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I am not sure an hour long office, at least an hour long every single week, would be better to 'use' all the characters more consistently. The current format, though it sometimes seems a little short on character use, seems usually sufficient. Maybe a few hour long specials here and there - as long as the plot warrants it - would work. I am almost afraid a I would become bored of the weekly antics if the show was always an hour long. Certain types of shows and 'humor plots' do not well translate to an hour long show. IMHO.

DevdogAZ
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I am not sure an hour long office, at least an hour long every single week, would be better to 'use' all the characters more consistently. The current format, though it sometimes seems a little short on character use, seems usually sufficient. Maybe a few hour long specials here and there - as long as the plot warrants it - would work. I am almost afraid a I would become bored of the weekly antics if the show was always an hour long. Certain types of shows and 'humor plots' do not well translate to an hour long show. IMHO.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the show should be an hour. Certainly not me. I simply said it has too many regular characters.

mattack
12-07-2011, 09:24 PM
it's just way too many characters to properly service on a regular basis.

But they don't NEED to have every character in every episode.

Yeah, having too many characters is a problem in reunion movies sometimes (get a zillion bit players in the first Trek for example), but I think for a TV show, it can be a good thing... You can concentrate on side characters SOMETIMES.

DevdogAZ
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
But they don't NEED to have every character in every episode.

Yeah, having too many characters is a problem in reunion movies sometimes (get a zillion bit players in the first Trek for example), but I think for a TV show, it can be a good thing... You can concentrate on side characters SOMETIMES.

No, they don't NEED to have every character in every episode, but they almost always do.