PDA

View Full Version : Happy Endings - Has it really gotten better?

Steveknj
11-21-2011, 07:54 AM
I watched this last season for about 3 episodes during the glut of these types of shows airing (Traffic Light and a couple of others I can't remember had a similar premise), and at the time, I thought this was the worst of them and cancelled my SP after three episodes (I felt that was fair enough to get to know the characters and see if it got funnier...to me it didn't). Now I see the show is a hit and it seems that this is the winner of the bunch. So, is this one of those shows that just got funnier or is this another example of my tastes being different than those who watch most top 20 TV? I'm thinking about giving it another shot, but if it's really nothing different than what I saw in those first 3 episodes, I won't bother.

loubob57
11-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I really like it. But how can I know if you'll like it?

You're just gonna have to give it another try.

photoshopgrl
11-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Watch them in the order they were supposed to air and I think you'll find it much more enjoyable. I love it. Just don't read the tweets for the guy that plays Max or you'll end up hating the character.

tiams
11-21-2011, 08:26 AM
If you didn't like it before, you won't like it now. It's the same premise, same characters, same writing, same setting. You should move on. I don't think it required a thread be started.
I think the show is hilarious.

Frylock
11-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Watch them in the order they were supposed to air and I think you'll find it much more enjoyable. I love it. Just don't read the tweets for the guy that plays Max or you'll end up hating the character.

Why is that?

photoshopgrl
11-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Why is that?
Because the actor has rubbed many (most) people the wrong way and it seems to have carried over into their enjoyment of his character, who IMO already can be kind of a dbag

astrohip
11-21-2011, 09:56 AM
I think it's a couple things...

One, the show has gotten better. It took a while for the writers to get a feel for what they wanted the characters to be. They have changed and tweaked them, and it makes the show better.

Two, this is the type of show (ensemble cast) where it takes a little time for the audience to "grow" into the feel of the show. The more you watch, the funnier it gets.

{Yeah, I know, this post hasn't really helped you, has it? :rolleyes:}

Bottom line--the show has improved, and is worth another shot. But not knowing exactly what you didn't like, there is no guarantee you still won't like it.

Additional thought: There is a TV critic, I think Maureen Ryan, who didn't like it at first, and actually quit reviewing it. For some reason, she watched a few newer episodes (maybe like you, she heard all the buzz), and realized she liked the direction they had taken the show, and is now a big fan.

If you didn't like it before, you won't like it now. It's the same premise, same characters, same writing, same setting. You should move on. I don't think it required a thread be started.
I think the show is hilarious.
Totally disagree (other than the hilarious; I agree with that). It's not the same. See my comment above.

Also, how could he ask about this show if he didn't "start a thread"? What should he have done?

markz
11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes, I think the show has definitely gotten better. I wasn't sure about it at first but love it now.

Additional thought: There is a TV critic, I think Maureen Ryan, who didn't like it at first, and actually quit reviewing it. For some reason, she watched a few newer episodes (maybe like you, she heard all the buzz), and realized she liked the direction they had taken the show, and is now a big fan.

I listened to a podcast once and a woman (it must have been her) was talking about the show. As you said, she hated it and stopped watching. Went back to watching later, and is now a big fan.

TIVO_GUY_HERE
11-21-2011, 10:56 AM
I really like it. But how can I know if you'll like it?

You're just gonna have to give it another try.

+ 1

Watch/Don't watch

Hoffer
11-21-2011, 11:13 AM
The start of the show maybe had more to do with being stood up at the wedding. It is kinda like that never happened. I mean, they definitely refer to it, but that couple seem like best friends and that something like that never happened. So, now it is just a show about a group of friends.

Kinda makes me wonder what the point of the whole wedding thing was. As of right now, they could have just been dating or had an engagement broke off.

busyba
11-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Kinda makes me wonder what the point of the whole wedding thing was. As of right now, they could have just been dating or had an engagement broke off.

It was just a hook, something to start the ball rolling. It had to start somehow, but the show doesn't need to be all about that.

Much like another awesome show that Steve doesn't like either, Community. In the beginning it was mostly about Joel McHale's character's quest to get his degree so he can get reinstated to the Bar. That whole plot is at best an afterthought now.

Also like how How I Met Your Mother has almost nothing at all to do with the Mother or meeting her.

Also like how Friends started being about Rachel running out on her wedding. ;)

DreadPirateRob
11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
It's awesome now. You quit watching right about when it got good last season. :)

Aniketos
11-21-2011, 02:01 PM

That's why I started watching it again, a lot of critics started loving it, so I gave it a shot. Now it's up there with Parks and Recs and Community for me, also, I listened to a podcast called Comedy Bang Bang with Adam Pally (Max) and thought he was great, so glad I gave it another shot.