PDA

View Full Version : SNL 11/19/11 Jason Segel; Florence and the Machine

SeanC
11-20-2011, 12:58 AM
A Message from the Committee to Elect Mitt Romney
Jason Segel monologue (Kermit, Miss Piggy, Rolf, Fozzy, Scooter, Gonzo cameo)
Red Flag commercial
Kelly Interviews the Regis Replacement
Pete & Stacy Kemper for Kemper-pedic
Thanksgiving with the Parents (Paul Rudd cameo)
Florence and the Machine performs
Weekend Update
..Top Stories
..Gov. Jon Huntsman
..Top Stories
..Really!?! with Seth & Kermit
..Top Stories
Mitch Gurst's Retirement Party
A New Jack Thanksgiving
Seducing Women Through Chess
Andre the Giant Chooses an Ice Cream Flavor
Florence and the Machine performs
The Blue Jean Committee plays The Empty Glass (Paul Rudd cameo)

Lots of good stuff this week.

Cold open was pretty good, but wow, that monologue was epic, best monologue ever. I don't really expect much out of it, but they blew me away.

Red Flag gets funnier every time I see it.

The Kelly interviews were ok.

Kemper-pedic was AWESOME.

Not a fan of the over the top kissing sketches, it's a one trick pony, I get it, still don't really think its funny.

The actual Gov. Huntsman showed up, ok, thats was kinda interesting, would have been more interesting if they had gotten Herman Cane though.

Really!?! was fantastic, gotta love Kermit.

Seducing Women was pretty funny.

atrac
11-20-2011, 04:43 AM
Love the Muppets! A+ for their appearance alone.

Was there an Olivia Wilde cameo in the Digital Short or did that girl just look like her?

Kablemodem
11-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I think it just looked like her.

alpacaboy
11-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I think it really was Olivia.
https://twitter.com/#!/oliviawilde/status/138172752778625024

Idearat
11-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Love the Muppets! A+ for their appearance alone.

I like that they came out for the curtain call with their puppeteers (muppeteers?) showing.

mwhip
11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
The actual Gov. Huntsman showed up, ok, thats was kinda interesting, would have been more interesting if they had gotten Herman Cane though.

Would have been better if his daughters would have shown up as well. Look them up nice eye candy. Or funnier if they would have gotten three of the girls to play is nutty daughters.

Graymalkin
11-20-2011, 03:51 PM
I like that they came out for the curtain call with their puppeteers (muppeteers?) showing.

Have they ever done that on screen before? It may be a historic moment!

YCantAngieRead
11-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Haven't watched most of it yet, but I will say, Taran Killam does a SPOT. ON impression of Ashton Kutcher.

And Jay Pharoah can leave at any time.

Regina
11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Gonzo: We knew Lorne when he still said, "Aboooot" :p

Miss Piggy: Well, there's one word he still won't say-RESIDUALS!!! :D;)

Also loved "REALLY???" with Seth and Kermit-they need to bring Kermit back for that again! :D

mdougie
11-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Haven't watched most of it yet, but I will say, Taran Killam does a SPOT. ON impression of Ashton Kutcher.

And Jay Pharoah can leave at any time.

His impression of Denzel is hilarious. I love it.

DougF
11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
His impression of Denzel is hilarious. I love it.

This.

Monologue was awesome and Kemperpedic was hilarious.

Cainebj
11-20-2011, 07:42 PM
I agree Kemperpedic was truly funny.

The kissing sketch was the same old same old - they did it before and didn't add anything new. My complaint from last week.

Um - how did Florence and the Machine become popular?
She's awful.

madscientist
11-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I like Florence but, as with most musical acts on SNL, she didn't sound her best here.

Agree with most everything above. FF'd the kissing sketch--yawn. Huntsman wasn't that funny but he at least didn't seem completely stiff (you'd hope he'd be comfortable on stage with the 3,000 debates they've had!) Retirement party was meh. Thought the rest were fair to good. Paul Rudd? Was there something meta there or was that just random?

Fish Man
11-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Pretty solid episode.

Best highlight was "Really!?? With Seth and Kermit." I could barely breathe each time Kermit screamed "Really!!" with nose pointed skyward and head gyrating. That was the best "Really!??" ever.

The monologue was also great, mostly because of the muppets.

I also really liked "Andre the Giant Chooses an Ice Cream Flavor". It reminded me of the old "Frankenstein" stuff with Phil Hartman.

YCantAngieRead
11-20-2011, 11:20 PM
The thing about Florence is her edgy, weird sounding voice. I haven't listened to these performances, but that's part of why she's popular.

morac
11-20-2011, 11:50 PM
My local Comcast provider decided to insert their periodic snap, crackle and pop sound effects into the NBC broadcast again so the musical act didn't sound that great to me. I should start recording NBC via antenna since that sounds fine. You'd think with Comcast owning NBC, that they'd actually pass the feed along without breaking it, but you'd be wrong.

Satchel
11-20-2011, 11:54 PM
I like Florence but, as with most musical acts on SNL, she didn't sound her best here.

Agree with most everything above. FF'd the kissing sketch--yawn. Huntsman wasn't that funny but he at least didn't seem completely stiff (you'd hope he'd be comfortable on stage with the 3,000 debates they've had!) Retirement party was meh. Thought the rest were fair to good. Paul Rudd? Was there something meta there or was that just random?

I believe Rudd was in the original family kissing sketch.

busyba
11-20-2011, 11:59 PM
The kissing sketch was the same old same old - they did it before and didn't add anything new. My complaint from last week.

Bringing Paul Rudd back (who had been in one of the previous versions of the sketch) redeemed it somewhat, as did including James Franco (another alumnus of the sketch) in the family photo they put up at the end.

And I think the business with homeless guy and the brussel sprouts and the gravy probably qualifies as adding something new.

Magister
11-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Tina Fey was great as the musical guest. Really edgy how they had her do really crappy vocals and goofy looks.

Red Flag and the Chess Seduction were great. CHECKMATE!

busyba
11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Tina Fey was great as the musical guest. Really edgy how they had her do really crappy vocals and goofy looks.

Florence doesn't look anything like Tina Fey.

They should, however, invite her back if they ever reprise Charles Barkley's "What Is That?" game show sketch from 1993. :)

sonnik
11-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Have they ever done that on screen before? It may be a historic moment!

I think they have. It was either when the Muppets came by a few years ago to do the Christmas song that Sanz, Fallon, Morgan, and Kattan would always perform - or it was during the "get Cookie Monster to host SNL" campaign.

ElJay
11-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't drink and I have to say the "The Blue Jean Commitee plays The Empty Glass" pretty much summed up every experience I've ever had after being dragged into a bar.

trainman
11-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't drink and I have to say the "The Blue Jean Commitee plays The Empty Glass" pretty much summed up every experience I've ever had after being dragged into a bar.

I do drink, and that was my favorite sketch of the night -- nothing laugh-out-loud, but it really made me smile.

Michael S
11-21-2011, 06:56 PM
I think they have. It was either when the Muppets came by a few years ago to do the Christmas song that Sanz, Fallon, Morgan, and Kattan would always perform - or it was during the "get Cookie Monster to host SNL" campaign.

The Muppets also made an appearance the last time Robert DeNiro hosted.

Fish Man
11-21-2011, 07:24 PM

You've been dragged into some truly horrible bars.

But there are a lot of them, and that's what made the sketch funny.

The bar patrons being so into the horrendous, inane band was actually the funniest part. (I liked that Florence was one of the bar patrons, as were some muppets.)

YCantAngieRead
11-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Only time I go to a bar these days is to hear my friend Terry play the blues. And he's exceptional at it, so you may need to get into going to another bar. :D

TonyD79
11-21-2011, 08:46 PM

Paul Rudd was the surprise in the kissing sketch you FFd through. He was in the first one.

Supfreak26
11-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Florence had a pretty great voice for a dude.

I enjoyed this ep. "really" was great. They seem to be moving the sketches on pretty quickly these days instead of dragging them on for 2 minutes too long.

DeDondeEs
11-23-2011, 04:03 PM
I really liked this episode. The only one I didn't get was the Mitch Gurst's Retirement party bit, what was that supposed to be a spoof on?

I like Florence and the machine. She sort of reminds me of Bjork in that she has a unique haunting voice.

kar74
11-24-2011, 04:28 AM
I really liked this whole episode. I saw Florence and the Machine last time they were on and thought she was awful (had never heard them before). I caught her first song on the radio the other day and thought it was amazing. Guess it goes to show that live performances aren't always best.

Graymalkin
11-24-2011, 08:51 AM
I really liked this episode. The only one I didn't get was the Mitch Gurst's Retirement party bit, what was that supposed to be a spoof on?

Not a spoof of any TV show or movie -- just some painfully unfunny humor based on real office workers that the person(s) writing the skit know(s). The co-worker who's painfully shy to the point of psychosis. The overly dramatic co-worker.

Fish Man
11-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I really liked this whole episode. I saw Florence and the Machine last time they were on and thought she was awful (had never heard them before). I caught her first song on the radio the other day and thought it was amazing. Guess it goes to show that live performances aren't always best.

This is probably the tenth time I've said this in one of these SNL threads, but it applies here again:

You'd think that in 36 seasons, SNL would have gotten around to hiring a sound engineer who can actually mix a live band properly for broadcast. With the exception of maybe 20% of the SNL musical guests, the mix is terrible, and that can make all the difference. (It was not particularly good here, and that hurt Florence + The Machine.)

I've also observed the following: Since they're taped only blocks from each other, it's common for an SNL musical guest to show up as the musical guest on Letterman early the following week. I've compared my recordings of the same musical guest, doing the same song, on SNL and then Letterman the following week several times. The audio mix on Letterman is always FAR better, making the bands sound FAR better.

FWIW, I liked the second song they did a little better than the first.

warrenn
11-24-2011, 02:47 PM
You'd think that in 36 seasons, SNL would have gotten around to hiring a sound engineer who can actually mix a live band properly for broadcast. With the exception of maybe 20% of the SNL musical guests, the mix is terrible, and that can make all the difference. (It was not particularly good here, and that hurt Florence + The Machine.)

I agree. It's almost so bad that bands should question if they should appear on the show. Their fans will not appreciate the performance. Viewers who don't know the band will think the band sucks because the mix is so bad it makes the song terrible.