PDA

View Full Version : X Factor 11-17-11

DLL66
11-19-2011, 03:30 AM
Astro has a lot to learn. Very embarassing. His cockiness is going to hurt him. Parents need to intervene.

Cearbhaill
11-19-2011, 08:15 AM
They've been blowing smoke up his butt from the get go.
Guess he thought that the judges always tell the truth.
He tweeted something to the effect of "hinky hijinks backstage- you would not believe" but that could have been him saving face.
I need to go find the tweet.

But regardless of what happens on this show some label is going to grab him and he will be fine.

ETA: Looked for the tweet and gave up- the kids twitter feed is ridiculous and he retweets everything.
So nevermind.

2004raptor
11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I didn't see a current thread yesterday so this is what I put in the most current XFacto thread.

Not sure if many people are watching this. I saw a few minutes of the performance show but nothing really stood out. Nothing else on last night so my wife and I skimmed through the results show. I almost feel bad saying this but Astro is a punk. I know he's only ~14 or whatever but he needs to be taught some manners. Completely disrespectful!!!! Hopefully it catches up with him next week and he's gone.

getreal
11-19-2011, 10:41 AM
I missed the show ... are you guys saying he is out?

Cainebj
11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I missed the show ... are you guys saying he is out?

i am not writing this as a spoiler since this is that show thread so stop reading if you don't wanna know what happened :)

astro was in the bottom two with staci francis.

the bottom two perform for the judges who make the determination who is going home.

staci sang amazing grace.

astro came out and said he didn't want to perform. then he asked the audience is he should perform. then i think he kindof half ass performed (i have gotten used to fast forwarding thru anytime he is on screen - LOL).

then when the judges were ruling he started crying and said something to the effect that he didn't see the point of being and performing someplace where he wasn't wanted. he was in general being a whiny 12 year old.

it appeared that the host whispered in his ear that he better apologize - which he kindof did while Simon was railing into him for his behavior and was asking him if this happened again would he man up and perform or was he going to do the same kind of thing if he was in the bottom again.

the audience started to boo him pretty badly.

in the end - the judges sent staci home 3 to 1.

toddvj
11-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Astro certainly didn't do himself any favors acting like that. Pretty sure he'll be in the bottom next week too. That was the first time I've seen a competitor get booed on any show like this. That's bad.

This after Stacey scowled at the judges the night before when they were giving her criticism. Ummm, hello, this is a show where the public votes for you. You are not going to get any votes acting like that. Good riddance.

I used to like both of these guys too.

Cearbhaill
11-19-2011, 01:23 PM
he was in general being a whiny 12 year old.
He is 15.
Old enough to know not to behave like that.
And also old enough that finding himself crying on national television had to have made quite an impression.
He'll not soon forget this.

Cainebj
11-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I used to like both of these guys too.

I was dead certain Stacy was going to win this thing.

I dunno what happened to her - her song choices were terrible and she was kindof off key the last two performances.

I was really hoping she was going to get one more chance cos' I'd be more curious to see what she might do than have to sit through Astro again - which thank you TiVo - I don't have to do.

Cearbhaill
11-19-2011, 04:18 PM
I was dead certain Stacy was going to win this thing.

I dunno what happened to her - her song choices were terrible and she was kindof off key last two performances.

The key Stacy was singing in does not exist :down:

getreal
11-19-2011, 04:20 PM
i am not writing this as a spoiler since this is that show thread so stop reading if you don't wanna know what happened :)

Thanks for the great recap, Cainebj. :up:

I don't like that kid either, but I begrudgingly acknowledge his talent. But his personality has been out of control since his first disrespectful audition. He is in need of some humility, which it appears he is getting now. The kid has a lot of class -- and all of it is LOW. ;)

How awful for Staci, though, that in spite of this spoiled brat, she went.

Oh well, they will all be gone save for one act at the end of the day.

ADG
11-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry to post in the thread of a show I stopped watching (after the "judges houses episodes), but....

The fact that otherwise intelligent people don't think the outcome of this show hasn't been pre-determined astounds me. In my (and many others') opinion this whole thing has been scripted from day one. The only thing missing is Vince McMahon :)

If this show comes back it HAS to be renamed: "It's All About Simon" :)

Cainebj
11-19-2011, 06:15 PM
The key Stacy was singing in does not exist :down:

Hey Cearbhaill -
You and I seem to have some of the same tastes in TV and I always enjoy your posts and of course -
you crack me up.

The above statement is very funny. thanks for the laugh.

toddvj
11-19-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't like that kid either, but I begrudgingly acknowledge his talent. But his personality has been out of control since his first disrespectful audition. He is in need of some humility, which it appears he is getting now. The kid has a lot of class -- and all of it is LOW. ;)

He must look up to Kanye West as an influence.

DLL66
11-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Sorry to post in the thread of a show I stopped watching (after the "judges houses episodes), but....

The fact that otherwise intelligent people don't think the outcome of this show hasn't been pre-determined astounds me. In my (and many others') opinion this whole thing has been scripted from day one. The only thing missing is Vince McMahon :)

If this show comes back it HAS to be renamed: "It's All About Simon" :)

Yeah...if it makes you feel better to think this way, so be it.

He must look up to Kanye West as an influence.

Astro must have think this is the way to present yourself! He sure made his parents proud...if they even cared.

Cearbhaill
11-20-2011, 07:55 AM
FWIW this is why I object to children being allowed to compete on these reality shows.
The shows exist purely as entertainment and not to "discover a world wide star" or whatever drivel they happen to be spouting at the moment.
They use and manipulate contestants to a annoying degree, all in the quest for good tv which is defined as drama, breakdowns, and bad behavior.
The stress and circumstances can be too much for any kid.
I think the fact that a 15 year old boy rapper (whom I would presume sees himself as an up and coming player) was brought to tears on live television speaks volumes. He may well be a bratty little jerk, but he's a kid in a pressure cooker situation. He seemed blindsided, insecure, and just overly emotional. I really didn't like his behavior, but he still does get somewhat of a pass.

These shows are IMO no place for children- zero thought is ever given to what is best for them and I just don't feel as if they should be subjected to the wolves in show business before at least turning 18.

ETA:
Astro posted damage control an apology on his Facebook yesterday-
"What I do, I do for the love of Hip-Hop and my fans, and I would never doing anything to hurt either. But please try to understand where my head was last night. Muhammed Ali was hated by America when he didn’t enter the draft. What people didn’t know was that he would have entered if the recruiter would have addressed him by his new name. I believed I was being mistreated, and in the moment I thought about Ali’s moment. I want to be the new ambassador for Hip-Hop and a leader of a new young movement of positive kids, but to be that I must have Integrity and Honor first! People are saying I’m “cocky” and “arrogant”, well maybe I have watched too many Muhammed Ali films or maybe I grew up having to fight my way home everyday or battle on street corners of Brooklyn for respect. My guards are always up, and maybe I took the situation too heavy. I seriously apologize to my fans, what I said and my emotions weren’t directed toward you. I’m 15 and I think I know everything, but the truth is, I don’t, and I handled the situation wrong! Win or lose next week, I will make you all proud!"

After the show Astro hinted on twitter that there may have been some backstage shenanigans viewers weren’t aware of “Politics!! don’t be fooled by what you don’t know! Thank you AstroNauts for holding me down! Its funny how people are quick to judge not knowing whats going on behind the scenes. Maybe I should have given my Disney smile instead!.”

After a little twitter backlash Astro tweeted “I feel yall on that but I wasn’t talking about viewers when I said I don’t wanna perform. If you only knew what I know you’d say otherwise.”

The next morning, he tweeted “Good morning #teamASTRO I had a “fight the system” moment last night. Sorry if i disappointed you guys. I WILL make you all proud next week!”

Simon Cowell tweeted later, “Met with Astro and his father today and @LA_Reid. Everything is much calmer now and the good news is he’s back on the show next week”

toddvj
11-20-2011, 12:01 PM
We have lots of evidence to show that show business is not great for kids. However, there will always be child stars. Adding intentionally created drama to the mix probably doesn't help matters. That being said, if not for shows like this, would Astro have ever been discovered?

It's pretty clear that he is not going to win the competetion. The average viewer isn't interested in rap music. His job right now is to get discovered, and making it as far as possible is only going to help. He just has to remember that he is trying to get votes from the public, and they aren't going to vote for him if he acts like a jackass.

Look at what happened to Stacey. She went from being one of my favorites to someone I was happy to see go. I understand it is difficult to take criticism from the judges with a smile on your face, but remember the judges are only half of the equation.

I don't know what Astro was referring to in his tweets, but I doubt they told him to act like a jackass. I still like him, and hope he stays in for a while.

Cainebj
11-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Simon Cowell tweeted later, “Met with Astro and his father today and @LA_Reid. Everything is much calmer now and the good news is he’s back on the show next week”

uh. was there some point and time when he was not going to on next week's show?

he still a tool.
a 15 year old tool.
seriously.
he's equating Ali and the draft with him on the x factor?
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy what?

getreal
11-21-2011, 01:14 AM
... Astro posted damage control an apology on his Facebook yesterday-
"What I do, I do for the love of Hip-Hop and my fans, ... [blah-blah-blah] ... Muhammed Ali was hated by America ... in the moment I thought about Ali’s moment... maybe I have watched too many Muhammed Ali films or maybe I grew up having to fight my way home everyday or battle on street corners of Brooklyn for respect. My guards are always up ...
[snip]
After a little twitter backlash Astro tweeted “I feel yall on that but I wasn’t talking about viewers when I said I don’t wanna perform. If you only knew what I know you’d say otherwise.”

Okay, I call BS on those quotes. They were not written by the same person.
The first long, detailed, eloquent FB quote was obviously written by an educated adult -- not the child we have been watching. It's all about spin control. That's all.

Although I can respect the other (younger) children on the show, I have lost all respect for this little twerp. :down:

PS I was able to watch the episode after I had gotten the recap earlier in this thread. As bad as Staci's performance was, it's still a shame that Simon went against his instinct to get rid of Ass-tro. That just reinforces his bad behavior, even though he got a much-deserved public slap of humility.

Cearbhaill
11-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Of course it was written for him and of course it was spin.
It is show business- I wouldn't expect anything else.

JLucPicard
11-22-2011, 04:02 PM
While I really didn't like Astro's behavior at all on the results show, part of me was thinking (a) what do you expect from a rapper anyway and (b) what do you expect from a kid anyway.

I was kind of glad, however, that Simon gave him the chance to answer whether he would be acting like that again in a similar situation further in the show (like next week!). To be in that big of a competition, don't let it end for the kid because he bahaved like a kid. Let him learn a lesson from it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm no fan of rap whatsoever, and though I can see that the kid has some talent, I just don't like it and no way in heck would I ever buy it or make an effort to listen to it.

Having said all that, what really baffled me was, who gets that far in a $5 million competition, is put in a situation where they have to 'sing for their survival', and then sings "Amazing Grace"??? I'm a Christian and that song has great signifigance for me, but when she started singing I thought, "Really, that's what you're hanging your hat on???".

She had a nice story and all, but her singing really didn't impress me much. Apparently not enough other people to make the difference, either. If she wants a career in music, she'll get one now. This is definitely not a "now I'll just go back to flipping burgers (or slinging burritos)" moment for her. She just isn't going to win the big contract and the SuperBowl Pepsi commercial.

Contrary to a lot of people in that situation that reflect dissappointment but also show respect for the people and the opportunity, both of these folks looked just pi$$ed that America didn't do right by them. Not a good night overall.