PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons - "Replaceable You" - OAD 11/6/11

Marc
11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
The Simpsons has long become a show that I play in the background while doing other things. I don't even recall laughing much at the show at this point... except for last night.

When Martin was fantasizing about himself as a basketball star, standing next to a guy and a girl, and then his eyes travel down and up on the guy, I actually laughed. Well, maybe it was more of a chuckle, but it was certainly a lot more than I've had from The Simpsons in quite some time.

Regina
11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Professor Frink: Welcome to the meeting of the North American Man-Bot Love Association! :eek:
Nerd in crowd: Once again, I vote that we change that name! :D;)

DevdogAZ
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
The Simpsons has long become a show that I play in the background while doing other things. I don't even recall laughing much at the show at this point... except for last night.

When Martin was fantasizing about himself as a basketball star, standing next to a guy and a girl, and then his eyes travel down and up on the guy, I actually laughed. Well, maybe it was more of a chuckle, but it was certainly a lot more than I've had from The Simpsons in quite some time.
I rewound that to make sure I saw it correctly. So they're basically saying that Martin is a closet homosexual. Pretty funny stuff.

steve614
11-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Bart's punishment sentence in the opening:
"It's November 6th--How come we're not airing a Halloween show?" :p

Milhouse: My dog and I accidentally touched tongues.
Bart: How is it accidentally when this is the fifth time? :D

Who did the voice for Roz Davis? My recording ended before that part of the credits.
I was thinking it was Jane Lynch from Glee, but probably not.

DevdogAZ
11-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Milhouse: My dog and I accidentally touched tongues.
Bart: How is it accidentally when this is the fifth time? :D

Who did the voice for Roz Davis? My recording ended before that part of the credits.
I was thinking it was Jane Lynch from Glee, but probably not.
Yes, it was Jane Lynch. FOX promoted her appearance very heavily during the football game I watched earlier in the afternoon.

That Don Guy
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
In part because they haven't been called "Halloween shows" in about ten years. (The first 12 or 13 were called Halloween Specials, but then they started using the "Treehouse of Horror" titles (which are the actual titles of all of the Halloween episodes as well, mainly because the first one took place in Bart's treehouse).)

I have little doubt that the reason they stopped calling them "Halloween Specials" was because they tended to air after Halloween. (Ever hear the story of the King of the Hill Thanksgiving episode that was shelved for an entire year because it was pre-empted by a long-running NFL game and the alternative was to air it three days after Thanksgiving?)

betts4
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I rewound that to make sure I saw it correctly. So they're basically saying that Martin is a closet homosexual. Pretty funny stuff.

I don't think it's a "closet" thing. They have always alluded to his gayness throughout the series.

Maybe he hasn't said he is gay because he is only, what? 8 or 9? I am betting he won't be hiding it when he gets older - except he never will get older in Springfield.

Marc
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Martin's always been a bit "light in the loafers". ;)

USAFSSO
11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Professor Frink: Welcome to the meeting of the North American Man-Bot Love Association! :eek:....

/annoying voice/ South Park did it!!! :o North American Marlin Brando Look-a-Like Association.

Worf
11-08-2011, 01:04 AM

Yeah, that was good. How many Treehouse of Horror or other Hallowe'en specials have aired BEFORE Hallowe'en on the Simpsons? I don't recall many, and thought it was a running joke they always aired the week after. Just this year...

I wonder if the animators had that cooked up "just in case" or they knew well in advance that yes, the Treehouse of Horror will actually air the week of, and not the week after.

JETarpon
11-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Why was the couch (Smithsonian) scene the same as last week's?

That Don Guy
11-08-2011, 09:25 AM
They don't create a new couch gag for every episode any more. They don't reuse them as much as they used to, but when an episode is "short" and they need to pad the time with one of the longer couch scenes, they tend to use them multiple times.

Here's the list. (http://www.snpp.com/guides/couch.openings.html)

DevdogAZ
11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Was there a couch gag last week? My recording of the Treehouse of Horror episode didn't have a couch gag, but instead had a traditional Treehouse of Horror opening segment. I know the Smithsonian couch gag wasn't new, but I don't feel like I've seen it very recently.

Edit: According to the list posted by Don, the Smithsonian gag was previously used in "Homer Scissorhands," which aired originally on May 8, 2011. Perhaps FOX reaired that episode recently when original episodes were not being shown due to the World Series.

Marc
11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah, that episode was aired the week before the Treehouse of Horror episode, if I remember correctly. I know I did see it recently.

VirginMediaPhil
11-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Aren't they using a shortened intro now? Where it cuts straight to the episode from the 'The Simpsons' logo?

Of course the UK broadcaster is currently a few months behind the US and so maybe they have reverted since.

DevdogAZ
11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Aren't they using a shortened intro now? Where it cuts straight to the episode from the 'The Simpsons' logo?

Of course the UK broadcaster is currently a few months behind the US and so maybe they have reverted since.
Just depends on the episode. I think there have been a couple over the last season that didn't have a couch gag of some sort due to the episode content being too long, but that's pretty rare. Most weeks there is a normal opening, although sometimes it's shortened, meaning it cuts straight from Bart's blackboard scene to Homer pulling in the driveway.

windracer
11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
My favorite part was Homer's LeBron mention:

"She's the most evil person to come out of Ohio since LeBron. But at least he thought long and hard before screwing everybody over. In public. For no reason."

Worf
11-09-2011, 12:29 AM
The "short intro" i used for syndication runs so they can run another ad in the space of time for the rest of the intro.

JETarpon
11-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Yeah, that episode was aired the week before the Treehouse of Horror episode, if I remember correctly. I know I did see it recently.

It was aired last week, immediately before the ToH episode. So, the Smithsonian couch scene aired 2 weeks in a row.

Amnesia
11-09-2011, 08:15 AM
It was aired last week, immediately before the ToH episode. So, the Smithsonian couch scene aired 2 weeks in a row.Um...so if it was aired once then wasn't aired (due to ToH), then was aired again, how does that make it 2 weeks in a row?

ct1
11-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Um...so if it was aired once then wasn't aired (due to ToH), then was aired again, how does that make it 2 weeks in a row?

With ToH, were two episodes aired the same day?

Amnesia
11-09-2011, 08:32 AM
My SP only pulls new episodes. But yes, perhaps that's what he meant...

JETarpon
11-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Um...so if it was aired once then wasn't aired (due to ToH), then was aired again, how does that make it 2 weeks in a row?

It was aired last week, immediately before the ToH episode. So, the Smithsonian couch scene aired 2 weeks in a row.

That's how. I didn't say there was a week between them. I said it was immediately before.