PDA

View Full Version : Chuck vs... OAD 10/28/11

betts4
10-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Chuck is back!!

I couldn't remember the exact title but I knew it was Chuck vs Something.

I enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to more. Loved watching Morgan in action (zooming) and it did have a familiar feeling of first season Chuck getting used to it all.

Totally loved Chuck saving the day with his "I have a plan" video he left in the van. That was so Chuck and a great old and new Chuck using what he knows about IT and about being a spy. Nicely done. Oh and jumping thru the window.

Win Joy Jr
10-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Chuck is back!!

I enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to more. Loved watching Morgan in action (zooming) and it did have a familiar feeling of first season Chuck getting used to it all.

Totally loved Chuck saving the day with his "I have a plan" video he left in the van. That was so Chuck and a great old and new Chuck using what he knows about IT and about being a spy. Nicely done. Oh and jumping thru the window.

And it was only OK in my opinion. Maybe too much set-up for the new premise. Missed General Beckmen. Was "Big Mike" even in it. I know Awsome was missing, and Ellie only had a singe scene.

LoadStar
10-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I had heard that Mark Hamill was going to be on this episode, but I got done with the episode and didn't remember seeing him. I figured I had misheard and that he would be on a different episode. Nope... he was the fat old guy at the beginning of the episode. I completely missed him.

Damn, I feel old now.

Win Joy Jr
10-29-2011, 01:27 PM
And it hit a series low, with only a 1.0 rating. I know it went up against the World Series, but I do not see a large overlap between baseball and Chuck fans.

LoadStar
10-29-2011, 01:47 PM
And it hit a series low, with only a 1.0 rating. I know it went up against the World Series, but I do not see a large overlap between baseball and Chuck fans.

I'm not worried about the ratings anymore, and frankly don't care to hear about them. It's already been announced that this is it's last season, and is definitely only going to be 13 episodes. I can't imagine that on a Friday night that NBC is that concerned that they'd pull it early, no matter how bad they get.

Win Joy Jr
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
You are right, ratings are a moot point at this time. The arc is written, cast and getting ready to complete filming. I'll just sit back and enjoy...

Robin
10-30-2011, 08:29 AM

It reminded me of that Friends ep..."The one with..." can't remember the rest. Have you seen it?

Back to the show...not my favorite ep of all time, but good to have Chuck back. How long until someone gets those sparkly glasses working and he's the intersect again?

Kamakzie
10-30-2011, 08:41 AM
It was kind of meh for me. I hope Chuck gets the intersect back ASAP. Morgan is too goofy with it.

Hunter Green
10-30-2011, 08:50 AM
The end wasn't bad, it was reminscent of a lot of the ridiculous Chuck plotlines, but the beginning felt like they were casting about to answer "what's the show about this year?" and trying (and failing) not to make it be Leverage. Hopefully now that we're past this part, we can get on track.

No reason Chuck could not afford to buy that house on a mortgage like everyone else. He owns a Buy More, that's got to count as a living wage; he could always report himself as an employee of it, too.

The whole "keeping a secret" thing was yet another made up conflict. He could have said, "Yes, I have a secret, but it's just about a surprise for you," and that would have been the end of that. The show falls back on things like this way too often. Still, it was fun seeing how long people took to figure out the acronym Morgan immediately put together.

I'm okay with the Morgan-has-the-intersect thing, even though it means we're right back to when Chuck first had the new intersect and we had to labor around the fact that Zachary Levi couldn't fake kung-fu. I just hope we don't dwell too long on Chuck being weepy about not having it anymore.

Win Joy Jr
10-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Given that it is the last season, I believe that they have laid out the final journey of Chuck arriving at who he is supposed to be. IF he ends up with the Intersect or not I am not sure.

What seems so jarring after watching it a second time is the relationship between Chuck and Sarah "on the job". She just does not seem to be the same Sarah of the past 4 years. Calling Chuck "Their Leader" just seems off with the background of her and Casey. They are a team, and yes, teams need leaders, but it just seems off.

As far as wiping out the millions, it seems to me that they decided that they just thought they would have problems making that work.

Anyway, I am still hoping that they find a way to bring Bryce back for one more appearance. IF they are going to tie this up with a bow for the fans, I think that there is still something that Bryce has left to reveal about events leading up to him implanting the Intersect in Chuck. Since it was Casey who shot him in the premier, there is something there that needs to be revealed if the whole Decker "This is no coincidence" story is to bear fruit.

Don't take me wrong, I have been a big fan of Chuck since the start. But the show has been snake-bit from the start, with the writers strike in the first season, delayed returns, always on the bubble. To me, Chuck is better that most shows. But since they resolved the Orion arc, their ability to build a really good multi-episode story has been uneven.

Donbadabon
10-30-2011, 02:53 PM
I actually really liked this episode. It was a lot of fun to watch.

Loved how is was 'zoomed' instead of 'flashed'. And that the others starting using the new wording too.

Also it was great to see that Chuck was kick azz without the intersect. Pulling the wires, crashing through the window, landing on the van - all cool.

Sarah getting Chuck to tell her his secret made me laugh. One second she is kissing his neck, the next second she is at Morgans door telling him to hand it over. Classic.

Operation T.I.T.S. (Toes in the Sand)? "It's an acronym! Don't you see the dots?" Hilarious.

rgr
10-30-2011, 04:45 PM
"Chuck Versus the Zoom"

sushikitten
10-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Great, our SP didn't pick it up. Off to watch it online...

DevdogAZ
10-31-2011, 12:51 AM
My main problem was that in the season finale last year, they said that Volkoff's fortune was $700 million. Yet in this episode, Chuck is trying to find a gig to pay enough so he can buy Sarah a nice house. I realize they tried to explain it away by talking about the expenses they had, but there's no way they were stupid enough to spend all $700 million and didn't move out of their apartment.

LoadStar
10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
My main problem was that in the season finale last year, they said that Volkoff's fortune was $700 million. Yet in this episode, Chuck is trying to find a gig to pay enough so he can buy Sarah a nice house. I realize they tried to explain it away by talking about the expenses they had, but there's no way they were stupid enough to spend all $700 million and didn't move out of their apartment.

They spent quite a lot of it on startup expenses for the company, including buying the store, but not all of it. The rest of it was frozen by the government after the mission.

RandomTask
10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
They spent quite a lot of it on startup expenses for the company, including buying the store, but not all of it. The rest of it was frozen by the government after the mission.

They said they had $42 million left. Seriously, $638 Million in start up costs. Worst entrepreneurs ever! I'm not buying into their IPO!

DevdogAZ
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM

But why was Chuck so worried about finding a paying gig if he had much of the fortune left before it was frozen? That's why it was stupid. He and Sarah should have bought a new house, or at least set aside some of the money for that purpose, before spending so much on start-up costs.

Seems to me that the writers wrote the huge fortune at the end of last season and then realized that with their limited budget, they weren't going to be able to show the kinds of cool things that the money would buy, so they had to retcon and come up with a way that the money was already spent. I think they did a pretty poor job of it.

Rob Helmerichs
10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
No, I think they knew exactly what they were doing...have the money so they could keep the status quo (buy the Buy More, keep the Castle going), and then run out so nothing would change.

verdugan
10-31-2011, 12:54 PM
No, I think they knew exactly what they were doing...have the money so they could keep the status quo (buy the Buy More, keep the Castle going), and then run out so nothing would change.

Then they should've ended last season with a smaller amount. Blowing through $658 million is just stupid.

Amnesia
10-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Didn't they buy a satellite? Those things don't come cheap...

zordude
10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Didn't they buy a satellite? Those things don't come cheap...

What is the value in having 1 satellite? When is it ever going to be in the right place when you need it?

Z

Boston Fan
10-31-2011, 04:18 PM
What is the value in having 1 satellite? When is it ever going to be in the right place when you need it?
Why, in the first episode, of course. ;)

DevdogAZ
10-31-2011, 04:19 PM
But why was the underlying plot of this episode about Chuck's desire to buy Sarah a house, but only if they could get a paying client? He has plenty of money to buy just about any house ever built. Why the anxiety about getting a paying client before buying? That's just poor writing, IMO. It shows that the writers are still operating on the old Chuck format (poor guy, living in an apartment, limited means, works a dead-end job, etc.), even though all of those things should have been blown out of the water based on the last few minutes of the S4 finale.

betts4
10-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Then they should've ended last season with a smaller amount. Blowing through $658 million is just stupid.

This. I couldn't believe that they had spent all the money, or even all the money that was not frozen.

And with all that, they didn't buy a house? :eek:

daveak
10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
A moderate level of "Suspension of disbelief" is still a requiem for enjoying this show. And with this in mind, I enjoyed this episode.

I am still hoping for Scott Bakula to make a return. Hey, it could happen. And I still have my theory.

john4200
10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
A moderate level of "Suspension of disbelief" is still a requiem for enjoying this show.

"a requiem for enjoying this show"? :rolleyes:

Are we laying it to rest already?

cheesesteak
10-31-2011, 07:29 PM
T.I.T.S. It's an acronym.

Morgan's entirely too silly to have the intersect for more than a couple of episodes.

Rob Helmerichs
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
And if there's one thing we've learned about the Chuck writing staff, it's that they have an almost pathological fear of being silly.

Yep, they'll do ANYTHING to avoid it.

;)

daveak
10-31-2011, 08:14 PM
"a requiem for enjoying this show"? :rolleyes:

Are we laying it to rest already?

It IS the final season. This is the final countdown. :(

It will be sad when the show goes TITS up.

rifleman69
10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
I am still hoping for Scott Bakula to make a return. Hey, it could happen. And I still have my theory.

IMO, it's pretty obvious Scott Bakula will be making his return at the very end. We never saw his body, plus there's still that higher up that the "bad guy" was talking about that they will eventually have to contend with.

eddyj
11-01-2011, 07:55 AM
I thought the Morgan-as-Intercept thing would get old fast, at the end of last season. I was right. It got old after one episode.

betts4
11-01-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought the Morgan-as-Intercept thing would get old fast, at the end of last season. I was right. It got old after one episode.

I am thinking the way Chuck was looking at those intersect glasses that he is going to be trying them on pretty soon.

RandomTask
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Is it just me or could Chuck be a better spy by now with or without the intersect? Seems like some of the training should take hold eventually. We know he was an official agent the last couple years and they have to do training stuff anyway like continuing education and PT.

Betts, don't hold out for that set of glasses, didn't Sis pretty much put that issue out when she said she had checked the glasses and they were one use only?

Rob Helmerichs
11-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Betts, don't hold out for that set of glasses, didn't Sis pretty much put that issue out when she said she had checked the glasses and they were one use only?
They're giving WAY too much screen time to them. Plus the elaborate set they built around them.

Chekhov's glasses. They'll be fired before the third act.

betts4
11-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Yes she did, but you know, she is not an uber-IT guy from Buy More like Chuck is. I am still going to hope that he can fix/restore them. Though I have been wrong before on major plot points. :)

Amnesia
11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Is it just me or could Chuck be a better spy by now with or without the intersect? He did manage to save the other three and himself at the end of the episode. In what way do you think he has room for improvement?

betts4
11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
He did manage to save the other three and himself at the end of the episode. In what way do you think he has room for improvement?

I think the improvement would be with his team - to realize that he is a spy and able to work with them, not just sit in the van (even though that did save them this time).

poppagene
11-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't get why Chuck let Decker get away with freezing the accounts and putting the team in jeopardy. Doesn't Chuck have the goods on Decker on a thumb drive that Chuck promised to make public if Decker did anything to harm Chuck and company?

busyba
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Can someone remind me what Decker's deal is? He's clearly got it in for Chuck, but why?

And he's CIA? I thought the CIA liked Chuck.

Win Joy Jr
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
The CIA canceled "Operation Bartowski" last season. It took Chuck's ability to turn Volkoff and give him the antidote to save Sarah. Chuck parachuted into the hospital parking lot and was met by Decker. Only the arrival of Volkoff mercenaries forced Decker to stand down and allow Chuck to save Sarah. At the end, Castle was stripped of CIA material and equipment by the order of Decker. This all happened after suppression of the Intersect by Decker. THAT, IMHO, is the link. Chuck still has the Intersect, it is just currently turned off. Emotions suppresses the ability of the Intersect to operate on demand. What stimulus could overwhelm the suppression and allow Chuck to Zoom, er, Flash?

Now, Chuck's escape plan was well done, and without the use of the Intersect.

daveak
11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
The CIA canceled "Operation Bartowski" last season. It took Chuck's ability to turn Volkoff and give him the antidote to save Sarah. Chuck parachuted into the hospital parking lot and was met by Decker. Only the arrival of Volkoff mercenaries forced Decker to stand down and allow Chuck to save Sarah. At the end, Castle was stripped of CIA material and equipment by the order of Decker. This all happened after suppression of the Intersect by Decker. THAT, IMHO, is the link. Chuck still has the Intersect, it is just currently turned off. Emotions suppresses the ability of the Intersect to operate on demand. What stimulus could overwhelm the suppression and allow Chuck to Zoom, er, Flash?

Now, Chuck's escape plan was well done, and without the use of the Intersect.

Key point. And he has had a 'suppression' problem before and overcame it.

RandomTask
11-01-2011, 08:26 PM
He did manage to save the other three and himself at the end of the episode. In what way do you think he has room for improvement?

I think a real spy wouldn't jump out the window and HOPE there was a really hard van to land on several stories down.

steve614
11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
I couldn't believe Chuck was not injured in that fall.
I know that the van's roof is more flexible than concrete, but still. ;)

Robin
11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I think a real spy wouldn't jump out the window and HOPE there was a really hard van to land on several stories down.

But he left a note!

RandomTask
11-02-2011, 08:51 AM
But he left a note!

Which they just happened to read with no time to spare... Right....

robbhimself
11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
But he left a note!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mDG6ju_lzSM/Tm98FHDRA8I/AAAAAAAABAc/h9s1KsKwqNQ/s1600/1+armed+man.jpg

and that's why you always leave a note...

pmyers
11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the Decker recap. That seem to spring up so quickly at the end of last season that I really didn't remember it and still really don't understand why he has such a bug for Chuck in the first place.

BitbyBlit
11-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Well, it was either take the chance of surviving by jumping out the window or have a guaranteed death by not. I'm sure if he hadn't been being chased, he would have checked first.

A real life spy might not have done that, but TV/movie spies are a lot more durable, and do stuff like that all the time. So I think Chuck is a "real spy" in the sense of being as real as Casey and Sarah.

Win Joy Jr
11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the Decker recap. That seem to spring up so quickly at the end of last season that I really didn't remember it and still really don't understand why he has such a bug for Chuck in the first place.

I follow "Chuck vs the Podcast" podcast and regarding Decker's motivation...

This is the mystery for the season, like the Orion plot

Steveknj
11-03-2011, 08:44 AM

Raising my hand....I'm the overlap :) I watched the WS that night (Game 7!!!). Finally got to Chuck last night as I am WAY behind on my shows because of baseball (and now a few hockey games). I liked it, but I'm not sure I'm liking the new premise. Like Chuck, I'm missing him having the Intersect. But any episode where Yvonne dresses like that automatically is a winner in my book :)