PDA

View Full Version : 2 Broke Girls "Pilot" 9/19/2011 S01E01.

Enrique
09-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Hell of a lot better then I thought it would be.

Looking forward to the next episode.

scottjf8
09-19-2011, 09:21 PM
It was ok but most of the gags/jokes were in previews. Hopefully I laugh more next week.

Einselen
09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
This show may be my first deleted season pass. I like to give shows a fair chance and I will have the tuner available as I am recording HIMYM and 2.5 Men but my viewing time is now highly limited as I have a longer commute to work from last year.

coolpenguin
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
We didn't even finish the episode.

TIVO_GUY_HERE
09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Much better than I thought SP set.

MarkofT
09-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I liked it. They did burn off most of their jokes in the ads, but the long term storyline seems pretty interesting. It seems like it will settle down into something suitable for the rest of the Monday CBS line up.

marksman
09-20-2011, 03:55 AM
I think it has potential... I too saw most of the jokes in previews so that hurt it.

Since I have a crush on Kat Dennings at the moment, I will certainly keep it on for a while to see how it goes.

loubob57
09-20-2011, 06:52 AM
SP stays for now.

photoshopgrl
09-20-2011, 07:05 AM
We didn't even finish the episode.
Same, not even sure when I turned it off. Maybe half way through. It felt like I was watching a 10-15 year old comedy. SP deleted.

CatScratchFever
09-20-2011, 07:07 AM
I laughed a few times which is exactly a few times more than I laughed for Up All Night and Free Agents combined.

I think the characters will grow on you.

brettatk
09-20-2011, 07:39 AM
I thought it was pretty good. I actually liked it better than the New Girl (although I do love Zooey). Will continue to watch.

billypritchard
09-20-2011, 07:40 AM
The two main characters were good. The rest were cardboard crappy stereotypes. I hope they put a lot more work into them soon.

Kat Dennings rules. So I will continue watching for a while.

NJChris
09-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I liked it and thought it was fun. I suppose they will have a total after every episode as they work towards the cupcake store.

HomieG
09-20-2011, 08:41 AM
I think they got all the best parts in during the first 10 minutes. Bored with the rest of the show. May or may not give it a 2nd try.

retrodog
09-20-2011, 10:01 AM
SP stays for now.

Ditto. It's got potential.

IIRC, the first episode of Seinfeld sucked. Jerry wasn't a neat freak yet. Hell, he even sat around on his couch with Kramer in a sweat suit. Or maybe that was the second episode. :D

mtnagel
09-20-2011, 11:40 AM
God I hate laugh tracks (or real laughter) in shows. It's just distracting to me. But I gave this one a shot because of Kat. I really didn't like it that much. I laughed less than half the time the audience did. I think I'll try one more episode.

PrincessEspana
09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I liked it.. But I also liked The Class and Mad Love!!!

flikhem
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
If the d-bag boyfriend isn't coming back, I'm not watching anymore.

"Back off, Jersey Shore."

madscientist
09-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Liked it enough to try another. Thing I hated: the horse. I hope they get rid of it soon. The rest of the awkwardness and strange character reactions I just chalk up to pilot-ese... they're all like that to some degree.

sieglinde
09-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Liked it. I like both the characters. Too bad they got rid of the boyfriend, he was not only good looking but could have been a funny character.

scooterboy
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
It's better than I expected it to be.

(second time in a week I said that)

DevdogAZ
09-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Much of it felt forced and stiff, but I'll chalk that up to it being a pilot. I like the premise of the two girls becoming friends and working/living together. I also like that the heiress isn't a typical ditzy blonde, but is extremely smart and educated. However, I find it hard to believe that someone with her education and connections would have to stoop to waiting tables in a diner. Seems like she should be able to get a great job or find someone that could loan her money to start her own company.

But I liked it overall and will keep watching.

billypritchard
09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I liked the Paris Hilton joke. I know, low hanging fruit, but still funny.

Fleegle
09-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Much of it felt forced and stiff, but I'll chalk that up to it being a pilot. I like the premise of the two girls becoming friends and working/living together. I also like that the heiress isn't a typical ditzy blonde, but is extremely smart and educated. However, I find it hard to believe that someone with her education and connections would have to stoop to waiting tables in a diner. Seems like she should be able to get a great job or find someone that could loan her money to start her own company.

But I liked it overall and will keep watching.

She is, for all intents and purposes, Bernie Madoff's daughter. She is being shunned by everyone she ever knew and many people she doesn't. Anyone who has money to lend her is pretending she doesn't exist.

DevdogAZ
09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
She is, for all intents and purposes, Bernie Madoff's daughter. She is being shunned by everyone she ever knew and many people she doesn't. Anyone who has money to lend her is pretending she doesn't exist.
I understand that, and it kind of makes sense. But she's got to have some friends of her own that don't care what her dad did. And she's got to have people she's worked with or went to school with that know how sharp she is.

But it's a sitcom, the premise is thin, who really cares. What matters is if they make the show funny and somewhat believable going forward.

jschuur
09-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I liked that they didn't make her the stereotypically spoiled rich girl. She's smart, and there's definitely some signs of the privileged life she lived, but she got back on her feet pretty quickly and they didn't fall into the trap of overplaying her.

I also thought the dollar count at the end of the episode was interesting. If you didn't catch it, they're tallying the money they earned towards their cupcake business (which, conveniently would be in the second season, assuming one year per season).

madscientist
09-20-2011, 06:26 PM
They gave a paper-thin explanation for working at the crappy diner: she wanted someplace that no one she knew would ever stumble in and see her there. If you buy the premise that what her dad did is so heinous that none of her friends or colleagues would have anything to do with her or give her a decent job, then I can buy it (in sitcom-world).

jsmeeker
09-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Liked it enough to set the season pass. I will continue to watch. We'll never forget that the blonde (sorry, can't recall the character name at the moment) came from a privileged background. They will do plenty to remind us of that. But I think they will continue to show her as a smart caring person that's not like her dad. And she'll soften up the cynical brunette.

tlc
09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Liked it enough to try another. Thing I hated: the horse. I hope they get rid of it soon.

Yeah. I don't expect reality, but keeping a horse fed while broke would be too unrealistic. Sell it or eat it.

ronsch
09-20-2011, 08:39 PM
It was ok but most of the gags/jokes were in previews. Hopefully I laugh more next week.

I liked it. They did burn off most of their jokes in the ads, but the long term storyline seems pretty interesting. It seems like it will settle down into something suitable for the rest of the Monday CBS line up.

I think it has potential... I too saw most of the jokes in previews so that hurt it.

Since I have a crush on Kat Dennings at the moment, I will certainly keep it on for a while to see how it goes.

That's what you get for watching previews in the first place!

Definitely low-brow humor, which I'm not opposed to at all but I agree the horse has got to go. Definitely funnier than Free Agents which is hanging by a thread.

Hoffer
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I liked it and will keep watching.

mattack
09-20-2011, 10:09 PM
They gave a paper-thin explanation for working at the crappy diner: she wanted someplace that no one she knew would ever stumble in and see her there.

Though she said something like "I went to monster.com and searched for some place nobody would find me", but worded it in a way that it sounded like it was literally something she could type into monster.com.. it sounded bogus in the show. (product placement? I'm usually not one to jump on that..)

The existing waitress.. easy on the eyes..

loubob57
09-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah. I don't expect reality, but keeping a horse fed while broke would be too unrealistic. Sell it or eat it.

A new item on the menu at the diner? :eek:

MegaHertz67
09-21-2011, 07:42 AM
I liked it.. But I also liked The Class and Mad Love!!!I liked Mad Love too. I thought it was as good as Happy Endings and better than some other stuff that made the schedule.

WhiskeyTango
09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Initially I wasn't going to watch this but decided to give it a shot at the last minute since I had an open tuner. I'm glad I did. I liked it and really like Kat Dennings even though I've never seen her before. SP set.

Flop
09-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Definitely low-brow humor, which I'm not opposed to at all but I agree the horse has got to go. Definitely funnier than Free Agents which is hanging by a thread.
Agreed. I at least made it through this show and chuckled a few times. Free Agents was deleted after 10 minutes.

markz
09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
From the previews, I had NO desire to watch this, but my wife wanted to. I have to admit, it was much better than I expected. I think the two main characters could grow on me. I'll give it another couple of weeks.

Robin
09-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Though she said something like "I went to monster.com and searched for some place nobody would find me", but worded it in a way that it sounded like it was literally something she could type into monster.com.. it sounded bogus in the show. (product placement? I'm usually not one to jump on that..)

No, I don't think so. It was something to the effect of "somewhere no one from the UES would ever be caught dead." I doubt monster.com has a checkbox for that.

It's a good thing it had a laugh track because otherwise I would have had no clue what was supposed to be funny. I didn't so much as crack a smile the entire episode, and I'm usually pretty easy to please.

markz
09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
It's a good thing it had a laugh track because otherwise I would have had no clue what was supposed to be funny. I didn't so much as crack a smile the entire episode, and I'm usually pretty easy to please.

I literally laughed out loud when the guy at the counter asked where his waitress was, then you heard the waitress in the cooler moan very loudly, and the other waitress said "She's coming!"

pmyers
09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I agree about the horse. I really hope we don't see that ever again.

Hoffer
09-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree about the horse. I really hope we don't see that ever again.

big spoiler

I think in the preview for next week's show, you saw the horse. It came walking in the kitchen from the back door and the girl made a comment like "I keep forgetting that we've got a horse".

Robin
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I would complain that writing "big spoiler" is not the same as a spoiler tag, but since I hated the show I'm not too fussed about it. ;)

laria
09-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't think it was a preview. It was just that 15-ish second clip that sitcoms sometimes have after the main episode is over.

I actually liked this more than I expected to. I didn't see any previews so the jokes were all new to me. ;) I recorded it because Entertainment Weekly had it in their Top 5 shows for the new season.

IndyJones1023
09-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Kat Denning's chest will keep me coming back.

billypritchard
09-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Kat Denning's chest will keep me coming back.

"He's coming!"

laria
09-22-2011, 08:07 AM
If the d-bag boyfriend isn't coming back, I'm not watching anymore.

"Back off, Jersey Shore."

Mmmm hhmmmm.... preferably always shirtless. :) He's got those muscle things that make smart girls do dumb things! :up: :)

He's in at least one more episode... all the actors on IMDB are credited with 2 episodes so far, including him. And I saw a picture from an episode but it clearly wasn't one from the pilot in my People magazine this morning at the gym in a little preview blurb about the show, which is what made me go look and see how many episodes he might still be in. :)

retrodog
09-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Looks like it's a Whitney Cummings production. Or at least she participated.

Fleegle
09-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Looks like it's a Whitney Cummings production. Or at least she participated.
She has a created by credit. And if you know her style, its obvious that she was supposed to play the dark haired girl. I could see her saying every one of those lines.

rifleman69
09-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Laugh track = canceled SP. Absolutely ruined the show.

retrodog
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
The brunette chick was on the Craig Ferguson show a few nights ago and geez, she was feisty. She had a remark for just about everything that happened, and a few things that didn't. I want some of whatever she's taking.

:D

rifleman69
09-26-2011, 11:21 PM
They also need to turn down the guitar riffs when switching scenes. 2nd show was worse than the first. Goodbye!

Hoffer
09-27-2011, 06:37 AM
I agree the second episode was pretty bad. I'm going to give it one more before saying my goodbye.

Alfer
09-27-2011, 07:29 AM
We didn't catch the premier, but after hearing some folks here and elsewhere rave that it was actually funny we tuned in last night.

OMG that was horrible. Two extremely horrible actresses spouting incredibly unfunny quips...just bad.

We hung it up after about 10 minutes and moved on to watching the DVR'd Castle.

MiakioAmy
09-27-2011, 07:50 AM
I didn't make it all the way through the second episode. Season pass removed.

Fish Man
09-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Wow. The first show was quite good and the second was as if the two actresses were reading corny quips off a teleprompter.

I'm giving it one more episode. (Kat Dennings' figure sustained my interest through the badness of this episode, but I don't think it can carry a whole season.)

nickels
09-27-2011, 09:47 AM
It definitely felt like a Whitney Cummings show after seeing the pilot of Whitney. Someone needs to remind her that we the audience are not morons and will laugh when something funny happens without the cues from the laugh track.

The guys in the kitchen seemed to be as stereotypical as it gets. The jokes were raunchy and most were pretty funny. The actresses do deliver some of the jokes pretty poorly. I'll give it a chance but it seems like a C+ show at best.

laria
09-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Why does it seem like the new thing this season is to talk about Episode 2 for shows in the Episode 1 threads? :)

TonyD79
09-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Why does it seem like the new thing this season is to talk about Episode 2 for shows in the Episode 1 threads? :)

It is because of all the season threads. People are confused.

[Backing away now....]

GoodSpike
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
I didn't make it all the way through the second episode. Season pass removed.

+1

jsmeeker
09-27-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure either...

smak
09-28-2011, 06:34 PM
2nd episode was horrible.

-smak-