PDA

View Full Version : Weird TV character connections...

BradJW
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
So I've been watching Prison Break again. I meant to stop after season 2, but for some reason just kept watching.

In Season 4, Gretchen & Self are selling Scylla. So here's where the weird connection comes into play.

An actor by the name of Mark Pellegrino is connecting Gretchen & Self to a buyer. The buyer is played by Titus Welliver.

Mark Pellegrino is more well known for playing Jacob. And Titus Welliver was the Man in Black.

So what other TV Character Connections have you seen?

scooterboy
08-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Not a "character" connection, but a neat coincidence just the same:

The Beatles' first Ed Sullivan appearance was in February of 1964. Also on the show with the Fab Four that evening was the cast of Oliver!, the theater musical based on Oliver Twist.

One of the main characters in Oliver! was the Artful Dodger. The young actor/singer who played the Artful Dodger and sang on Ed Sullivan the same night as the Beatles? None other than Davy Jones who would, two years later, become a member of the "Pre-fab Four" - the Monkees.

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/davyjones.jpg

loubob57
08-30-2011, 04:32 PM
One of the main characters in Oliver! was the Artful Dodger. The young actor/singer who played the Artful Dodger and sang on Ed Sullivan the same night as the Beatles? None other than Davy Jones who would, two years later, become a member of the "Pre-fab Four" - the Monkees.

He's also the reason David Bowie came into being. You see David Bowie's real last name is Jones.

Michael S
08-30-2011, 10:16 PM
I guess this is a connection. The guy on House who played Cuddy's boyfriend and House's private detective is named Michael Weston. He did a guess spot on Burn Notice. The main character on Burn Notice is named Michael Westen.

TheMerk
08-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Season 2 of Luther, he asks another cop to contact NYPD about a case. He mentions that Detective Munch would be the one to ask. :D

Craigbob
08-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Season 2 of Luther, he asks another cop to contact NYPD about a case. He mentions that Detective Munch would be the one to ask. :D

Munch has shown up on Homocide of course, Law and Order, X-files, and a whole lot more shows including Sesame street.....

JETarpon
08-31-2011, 01:58 AM
Not necessarily weird, but one of my favorite TV in-jokes of all time:

William Shatner was in an episode of The Twilight Zone in which he was on an airplane and saw a gremlin out on the wing destroying an engine. They remade that episode as one of the episodes of Twilight Zone: The Movie, with John Lithgow playing the role Shatner had.

When Lithgow was on 3rd Rock from the Sun, Shatner guest starred as their leader, The Big Giant Head.

Here is the scene when TBGH arrived:

P8JavIWJoYg

BradJW
08-31-2011, 11:45 AM
I loved the big giant head!

I wasn't necessarily thinking of in-jokes or intentional setups per se, but if we're including them one that immediately pops to mind....

After John Ritter died, Ed O'Neill guest starred on an episode of 8 simple rules as an old high school boyfriend of Kate Segal's character (a reunion of sorts for Al & Peg Bundy).

aindik
08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
On the West Wing, Allison Janney played C.J. Cregg, Bradley Whitford played Josh Lyman, and Timothy Busfield played Danny Concannon. At the end of the series, it was clear that C.J. and Danny were married.

On Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Bradley Whitford played the producer of the sketch comedy show, and Timothy Busfield played the director. Allison Janney played Allison Janney, star of The West Wing and guest host of the comedy show.

She never did comment on how strikingly similar the resemblance was between the producer and director, and her former co-stars.

Jeeters
08-31-2011, 08:00 PM
P8JavIWJoYg"Same thing happened to me!".

That was great.

sonnik
09-01-2011, 05:32 PM

There's a whole subculture out there that somehow links pretty much every show made (mostly by some sort of character crossover) - most of these come via John Munch and Tommy Westphall (St. Elsewhere).

See http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers(full).jpg for an example.

Allanon
09-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Lisa Kudrow played a waitress named Ursula Buffay on Mad About You and she also played Phoebe Buffay on Friends. Phoebe was Ursula's sister and Lisa even played both characters on Friends.

The weird part is the only connection the two shows shared was that they were on NBC and set in New York. They didn't share a production or distribution company.

pantherman007
09-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Season 3 of South Park had an episode about a spelling bee with maladjusted home-schooled kids (and their maladjusted parents). The home-schooled girl was named Rebecca and had an odd habit of speaking into her hands.

A few weeks later I saw an episode of Cheap Seats on ESPN Classic based on an old Scripps Spelling Bee competition. One of the real-life finalists was Rebecca Sealfon, a maladjusted kid with (based on watching some interviews) maladjusted parents. This Rebecca did the same speak-into-her-hands thing.

Real-life 'character' connected to a South Park version of herself. More importantly, that's when I realized I watch WAY too much TV...

Amnesia
09-03-2011, 08:35 PM
So what other TV Character Connections have you seen?I've been a fan of Anna Belknap (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1140817/) since she was a regular on Medical Investigation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411011/). Now of course, she's on CSI: NY (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395843/), which also stars Hill Harper (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004991/)...

Well, a while ago my TiVo recorded a random show as a suggestion: The Handler (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366021/), a 2003 show that starred both Belknap and Harper...

dianebrat
09-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Mark Pellegrino and Titus Welliver also both had guest shots in the awesome Big Apple that was gone too soon, I don't remember if they were both in the same episode. (only 8 episodes)

laria
09-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Huh, I just looked up Titus Welliver because for the life of me I couldn't remember what he/The Man in Black looked like, and saw that he's Glen Childs, the ADA on The Good Wife. I had not even recognized him as being the same guy as on Lost!

getreal
09-03-2011, 11:38 PM
"Raising Hope" is littered with cameos from the cast of "My Name is Earl" -- especially since it's produced by the same company.
Jason Lee appears in one episode as an old rock star past his prime.
Ethan Suplee and Jaime Pressly appear as a married couple. They even referred to Ethan Suplee's character as looking like the skinny version of the fat guy in "Mallrats".
And the grocery store manager in RH was the gay guy in MNiE.

JETarpon
09-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Here's another good in-joke connection:

qRLq-FEYH7A

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Illya_Kuryakin.jpg

debtoine
09-04-2011, 08:37 AM
A recent one we enjoyed:

3Q3pdj9p6yI

T

cmontyburns
09-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Lisa Kudrow played a waitress named Ursula Buffay on Mad About You and she also played Phoebe Buffay on Friends. Phoebe was Ursula's sister and Lisa even played both characters on Friends.

The weird part is the only connection the two shows shared was that they were on NBC and set in New York. They didn't share a production or distribution company.

Although Hunt and Reiser did do a crossover cameo as the Buchmans on Friends at one point.

Michael S
09-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Heres another one. We all know that George Clooney was on ER. He was also on another sitcom before he was on ER and the name of that sitcom E/R.

getreal
09-04-2011, 01:24 PM
An oldie but goodie was when George Reeve appeared in Superman costume at a birthday party for Lucy and Desi's son in "I Love Lucy".

danterner
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
More current is Castle dressing up as a "space cowboy" for a costume party.

Amnesia
09-04-2011, 02:14 PM
If only someone had mentioned that (perhaps 4 replies back)

danterner
09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
If only someone had mentioned that (perhaps 4 replies back)

Ha, missed that.

lambertman
09-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Since we're off into tenuous links, there was an episode of "Just the Ten Of Us" (a "Growing Pains" spinoff) where one of the daughters (who knew Mike Seaver) mentioned Kirk Cameron the actor.

Regina
09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Huh, I just looked up Titus Welliver because for the life of me I couldn't remember what he/The Man in Black looked like, and saw that he's Glen Childs, the ADA on The Good Wife. I had not even recognized him as being the same guy as on Lost!

I'm a HUGE fan of both shows and it took me a looong time to realize that Titus Welliver was on both shows-of course, he does clean up nice on "The Good Wife" :D;) Great actor! :up::up:

JETarpon
09-04-2011, 08:27 PM
State's Attorney, not ADA.

laria
09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
State's Attorney, not ADA.

Oops, my bad... but I blame Wikipedia. :o I saw this on there and typed it in without even thinking about the actual show:

Glen Childs A.D.A., The Good Wife