PDA

View Full Version : Anybody interested in a Star Trek:TNG Rewatching?

doom1701
08-19-2011, 06:07 AM
I watched "Encounter at Farpoint" last night. It was actually a lot better than I remember it being (although I also watched "Justice" the other night...Season 1 still sucks, for the most part). I know that we've done a Babylon 5 rewatch, so that we could comment on the episodes as we saw them. Anyone interested in doing the same for TNG?

Alfer
08-19-2011, 07:24 AM
I'll take a pasadena..I have some paint I want to watch dry..but thanks for axin' !

:)

rondotcom
08-19-2011, 07:29 AM
I watched "Encounter at Farpoint" last night. It was actually a lot better than I remember it being (although I also watched "Justice" the other night...Season 1 still sucks, for the most part). I know that we've done a Babylon 5 rewatch, so that we could comment on the episodes as we saw them. Anyone interested in doing the same for TNG?

I'm your Huckleberry.

EAF was better than the first time, but only, I think, because we remember what the characters became. From an character development point of view it's pretty interesting

Bierboy
08-19-2011, 07:30 AM
I'll take a pasadena..I have some paint I want to watch dry..but thanks for axin' !

:)

Make that two...

tiams
08-19-2011, 07:46 AM

I'm in. One thread per episode?

Bierboy
08-19-2011, 07:49 AM

Please, no. This forum is already congested....

doom1701
08-19-2011, 08:26 AM
I figure just one episode per week, we discuss in this thread (not a new thread per episode). I'll try to bump the thread every weekend for the next episode. And if I wind up just talking to myself, I'll call it quits.

We should probably have some ground rules. I'm interested in being able to discuss each episode both on it's own, how it relates to previous episodes, and how it relates to future episodes. Because of that, I say that spoilers should be allowed. Also, I say we watch as Netflix classifies the episodes--ie, Encounter at Farpoint is listed as one ep on Netflix. I'm guessing some of the season ending cliffhangers are probably listed as two, and we'll watch those over two weeks.

So, anybody that's in--go watch Encounter at Farpoint and discuss! I'll post my thoughts later--I should probably do some work today at some point.

Bryanmc
08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I'll do it if we have a thread per episode, I've got to stay pure to the "anti-season thread" camp.

Hoffer
08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I started watching TNG about a month ago and am somewhere in season 4. I won't be rerewatching any episodes, but hopefully the episodes will be fresh enough when others watch them.

I've also watched half of the first season of Voyager and Enterprise. I plan to watch all the Star Trek stuff. DS9 as well when that shows up.

tiams
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
One episode per week will take 3 years and 5 months.

I will do it if we can have a thread per episode. That way everyone can watch at their own pace. And anyone who wants to start say a month from now can still participate.

Hoffer
08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Does Netflix have the streaming rights for 3 years and 5 months? You'll be SOL if they lose the rights 2 years from now. :)

DougF
08-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm in, though I'm afraid I'll fall behind at some point.

I'd also recommend reading Wil Wheaton's reviews after watching each episode from the first half of season 1. http://www.aoltv.com/bloggers/wil-wheaton/ I don't know if he did any others.

aaronw
08-19-2011, 01:48 PM
If you're up to it, you can just virtually "rewatch" via http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/literature329/

I watch early episodes once in a while on TNT or whatever they're on. Season 1 is pretty painful to watch, but the later ones are really good. - EP 163 (Parallels) I like, but there's also the occasional weird one like EP 165 (Sub Rosa) aka the weird ghost one.

Magister
08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
I am in. I watched them back originally, and up to ep 7-8 on Netflix. Agree with having spoilers and one thread per episode.

gchance
08-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm in. I started rewatching TNG when they were first on Netflix, but stopped after a time. A couple Saturdays I watched 2 or 3 at once. I made it up to episode 9 (The Battle).

Up until we get later in the series, spoilers aren't near as much of an issue, since the reset button is typically pressed. Picard's still the captain, Troi & Crusher are still hot, Wesley's still Wesley.

If we do separate threads, I don't want to be the one who posts them. That was tough with Babylon 5. :)

Greg

doom1701
08-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I'll do it if we have a thread per episode, I've got to stay pure to the "anti-season thread" camp.

This wouldn't be a "Thread for a season", though. This would be a general discussion of a show, with most people discussing a specific episode at the same time. The trappings of a season thread wouldn't apply.

tiams
08-19-2011, 02:39 PM
If you only do one thread, the only people who are going to be able to participate are the ones who are on the same one episode per week schedule. Those who have watched further episodes will have to wait for the thread to catch up and those who fall behind will not be able to read the thread because they will be reading what happened in the episodes they have yet to see. Impractical.

The only way that everyone can read and comment on each episode as they watch it is to have a thread for every episode.

kdelande
08-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I started watching TNG about a month ago and am somewhere in season 4. I won't be rerewatching any episodes, but hopefully the episodes will be fresh enough when others watch them.

I've also watched half of the first season of Voyager and Enterprise. I plan to watch all the Star Trek stuff. DS9 as well when that shows up.

I did the same as Hoffer on his mentioning. I'm also in Season 4 and Seasons 1-3 are pretty fresh so I'm in.

appleye1
08-19-2011, 03:24 PM

I figure just one episode per week, we discuss in this thread (not a new thread per episode). I'll try to bump the thread every weekend for the next episode. And if I wind up just talking to myself, I'll call it quits.

One episode per week will take 3 years and 5 months.

I will do it if we can have a thread per episode. That way everyone can watch at their own pace. And anyone who wants to start say a month from now can still participate.

This wouldn't be a "Thread for a season", though. This would be a general discussion of a show, with most people discussing a specific episode at the same time. The trappings of a season thread wouldn't apply.

If you only do one thread, the only people who are going to be able to participate are the ones who are on the same one episode per week schedule. Those who have watched further episodes will have to wait for the thread to catch up and those who fall behind will not be able to read the thread because they will be reading what happened in the episodes they have yet to see. Impractical.

The only way that everyone can read and comment on each episode as they watch it is to have a thread for every episode.

http://www.appleye.com/picard-sigh.jpg

I can see where this is going! :D :D

MirclMax
08-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm actually going to be watching these shortly... Getting the young-ins exposed to Trek.. currently in Season 3 of TOS .. everything (movies included) will be viewed in air-date order ...

That being said.. we're definitely going to be doing more than 1 TNG/week .. I'd actually hope to get in 4-5 ... So, either we'll catch up to you if you start going now ... or we'll be flying by you as you go too slow.

Suggestion .. discuss them 1 season at a time .. and maybe do it over a month's period.

Fool Me Twice
08-19-2011, 04:51 PM
How about half an episode once every three weeks? Really stretch this thing out.

kaszeta
08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Wake me up when you get through Season 1. I just rewatched TNG Season 1 a few weeks ago, and I'm still recovering. Bleh, there were some really baaaad episodes that didn't get any better with time.

JYoung
08-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Wow, two immediate thread craps and a budding argument about seasons vs. episodes.

In other words, same old, same old.

gchance
08-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Wake me up when you get through Season 1. I just rewatched TNG Season 1 a few weeks ago, and I'm still recovering. Bleh, there were some really baaaad episodes that didn't get any better with time.

Yes, but a guy's head blows up! In front of Riker!

Greg

steve614
08-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm interested. I have most of the episodes on DVD that I copied from the Tivo. No need to go through the hassle that is Netflix. :p

I agree with the others that want to use a single thread per episode.

DougF
08-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, two immediate thread craps and a budding argument about seasons vs. episodes.

In other words, same old, same old.

Well, it won't truly be a Star Trek thread until we have some people posting every week about how awful the show is but they continue to watch.

doom1701
08-19-2011, 07:08 PM
OK, here's how I'll get it started, then.

New thread for each episode.
Two to three episodes per week (I might just create the threads, but not have time to watch)
Spoilers are allowed
If I had a budget, I'd give everyone that actually makes it through season 1 a prize.

I'll create the threads for the first three episodes tonight.

caslu
08-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Last year I decided to try watching all the Trek series, from classic straight through to Enterprise. Watched classic, animated, TNG and most of DS9 through season 3, but then I lost interest.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Trek (including TNG and DS9) but I really didn't realize how glacially the new series were plotted until I went back and rewatched them.

LoadStar
08-19-2011, 08:02 PM
The only one I really want to go back and do a rewatch of is DS9, but unfortunately it won't hit Netflix instant watch until October.

cwerdna
08-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Agree w/Bierboy but it looks like it's too late. I think it really should be one thread per season to keep the congestion down. Per http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation, there were 176 eps!

Some eps were so crappy, they hardly deserve a thread. Even some of the actors at the Star Trek convention I just returned from in Vegas made fun of a few of them. Code of Honor was one of them, IIRC. I think it was Tasha... err Denise Crosby who made fun of that one.

You gotta also put in SPOILERS in the title ;) j/k, just like those B5 threads. :)

JYoung
08-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Well, it won't truly be a Star Trek thread until we have some people posting every week about how awful the show is but they continue to watch.

If I have time to watch the TNG episodes (which I probably won't as I'm currently blasting through Farscape and Stargate:Universe), I'll be just as harsh on it.
The first season is egregiously bad with only one or two decent episodes.

And unlike at least one of the crappers, I'll have actually watched the episodes in question.

Bierboy
08-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Agree w/Bierboy but it looks like it's too late. ...

Obviously (and unfortunately) common sense does NOT prevail in these fora....

....and already I see the congestion has begun....:down:

Mars Rocket
08-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Tor began a ST:TNG rewatch project a few months ago and is documenting it here (http://www.tor.com/features/series/star-trek-the-next-generation-rewatch). It may be interesting to read their comments after watching each episode.

Bryanmc
08-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Obviously (and unfortunately) common sense does NOT prevail in these fora....

....and already I see the congestion has begun....:down:

If only there was a way to ignore the threads you don't want to see...

But that would take some common sense. ;)

Bierboy
08-20-2011, 10:12 AM
If only there was a way to ignore the threads you don't want to see...

But that would take some common sense. ;)

Has nothing to do with "ignoring the threads" and everything to do with adding unwanted threads to the forum making it more difficult to find threads about current shows....

Bryanmc
08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Has nothing to do with "ignoring the threads" and everything to do with adding unwanted threads to the forum making it more difficult to find threads about current shows....

You know that you can click to ignore a thread and it disappears from your view, right? It's a handy feature and solves the issue you're having.

LoadStar
08-20-2011, 10:57 AM
You know that you can click to ignore a thread and it disappears from your view, right? It's a handy feature and solves the issue you're having.

This. When they say "ignore the threads" they don't mean mentally ignore them (i.e. pretend they don't exist) they mean use the Ignore Thread feature of the forum, which hides the thread from view completely.

cwerdna
08-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Agreed.
AFAIK, you have to OPEN the thread first in order to ignore it. So, if the OP continues opening up threads on TNG eps and gets thru all of them, that's ~176 new threads that individually have to be ignored. That's at least 528 mouse clicks...

LoadStar
08-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Agreed.

AFAIK, you have to OPEN the thread first in order to ignore it. So, if the OP continues opening up threads on TNG eps and gets thru all of them, that's ~176 new threads that individually have to be ignored. That's at least 528 mouse clicks...

Install Greasemonkey and the Ignore Thread (http://fourohfour.info/greasescripts/tcf_ignore_thread.user.js) add-on. You'll get a little X at the end of the thread title in the thread list. Click on it and the thread instantly disappears.

Bryanmc
08-20-2011, 05:46 PM

It's 9 clicks a week. I think it's manageable. Small price to pay for being able to customize the content of the forum to an individual's liking.

Snappa77
08-20-2011, 08:53 PM
http://prepackagedair.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/captain-jean-lucpicard-is-not-as-smooth-as-he-thinks-he-is.jpg?w=500&h=1333

BrettStah
08-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Install Greasemonkey and the Ignore Thread (http://fourohfour.info/greasescripts/tcf_ignore_thread.user.js) add-on. You'll get a little X at the end of the thread title in the thread list. Click on it and the thread instantly disappears.

I love it (red arrows not included):

http://i.imgur.com/Uw5JZ.png

IndyJones1023
08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I wish I had time to participate in this. It sounds fun.

But one suggestion - I've noticed thread titles include original air date. That's pretty pointless. How about season/episode numbers instead? On the main page I saw a title and was thinking "was that from season 1 or 2?"

Nowadays, that may be more helpful than OAD.

BrettStah
08-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I wish I had time to participate in this. It sounds fun.

But one suggestion - I've noticed thread titles include original air date. That's pretty pointless. How about season/episode numbers instead? On the main page I saw a title and was thinking "was that from season 1 or 2?"

Nowadays, that may be more helpful than OAD.

+1

LoadStar
09-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, so much for that... seasons 1 and 7 just randomly went disk only on Netflix.

gchance
09-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Has to be a mistake, they made such a big deal about acquiring it. DS9 never came online.

doom1701
09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Why on earth would they drop the first and last seasons?

I'm really starting to hate Netflix.

BrettStah
09-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Why on earth would they drop the first and last seasons?

I'm really starting to hate Netflix.
I tend to assume that Netflix would love to have more, not less, available. The content providers are being short-sighted and greedy is another assumption.

Long live usenet...

doom1701
09-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Season 7 is back. Maybe it is just a mistake. I don't want to start the other two threads for this week until Season 1 shows back up, though.

pendragn
09-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I decided to join in. I've watched the first 6 (couting Far Point as one) episodes so far. It's been a fun nostalgic trip.

tk

Kamakzie
09-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I watched the entire series a year or so ago but I shotgunned through it with multiple episodes a day.

BrettStah
09-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I may be able to catch up with you guys... I've been watching DS9 straight through - I think I'm in season 5. I'll probably start TNG after I finish it.

Frylock
09-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Has to be a mistake, they made such a big deal about acquiring it. DS9 never came online.

DS9 doesn't come till October. It was never to come with the original collection of series.

Many are guessing they are recoding some of the first and last season. Since they made no announcement, it likely will just "reappear". Netflix needs to do a better job on explaining these things though...

LoadStar
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
DS9 doesn't come till October. It was never to come with the original collection of series.

Many are guessing they are recoding some of the first and last season. Since they made no announcement, it likely will just "reappear". Netflix needs to do a better job on explaining these things though...

Season 7 already reappeared, but not season 1.

doom1701
09-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Others online are saying that this has happened to seasons of others shows--they pull the season to fix encoding errors and then once the new files are distributed it reappears.

I'm not going to post the other two threads for this weekend until they show back up, just in case. If it's not hear by next week, then I'll jump to season 2. Probably save us a lot of lousy television.

pendragn
09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm not going to post the other two threads for this weekend until they show back up, just in case. If it's not hear by next week, then I'll jump to season 2. Probably save us a lot of lousy television.

Go ahead and post them. Some of us aren't watching them on Netflix, so the status of Netflix doesn't impact whether we've watched them or not.

tk

Frylock
09-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Others online are saying that this has happened to seasons of others shows--they pull the season to fix encoding errors and then once the new files are distributed it reappears.

This is a problem Netflix has. They really need to post when seasons go down, and an ETA for when they will return. Their current approach just feels sneaky.

MirclMax
09-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Season 1 has returned.

robojerk
09-06-2011, 01:25 PM
These threads are beginning to flood the forum.

I get that there is a script to ignore threads, but the existence of said script doesn't mean it's acceptable to flood the forum with TNG threads. It seems like you're forcing everyone to now install that script, or if for some reason their stuck using IE they're S.O.L.

DougF
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Three threads out of 35 on the first page is flooding the forum?

JLucPicard
09-06-2011, 02:01 PM
It's really not that big an inconvenience to just ignore the threads without having to have a script to do it. I'm not participating in the ST:TNG rewatch as I've got way too much to catch up on before the new season starts, but heck, there's a whole lot more threads on the board for other shows that I have to ignore, too. It's not a hardship.

lew
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
5 threads on the first page of this forum for a show which aired its final episode more then 17 years ago seems excessive.

Not an issue if more then a couple of posters participate. JMO but this is a great example of a show which would work better as a full season thread. The OP is talking about "rewatching" so spoilers shouldn't be an issue.

doom1701
09-07-2011, 09:21 AM
But one of those 5 is this thread, which keeps getting bumped because people complain about their being too many Star Trek threads.:rolleyes:

BrettStah
09-07-2011, 09:23 AM
5 threads on the first page of this forum for a show which aired its final episode more then 17 years ago seems excessive.

Not an issue if more then a couple of posters participate. JMO but this is a great example of a show which would work better as a full season thread. The OP is talking about "rewatching" so spoilers shouldn't be an issue.

LoadStar
09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
And I think that the fact that you see various episode threads percolating to the top indicates that individual threads were the better idea. If you were to have it in a single "season" thread, you'd have this confusing mish-mash of discussion of various episodes in no coherent organization, which I would think would not benefit discussion in the least.

doom1701
09-07-2011, 09:31 AM
And I think that the fact that you see various episode threads percolating to the top indicates that individual threads were the better idea. If you were to have it in a single "season" thread, you'd have this confusing mish-mash of discussion of various episodes in no coherent organization, which I would think would not benefit discussion in the least.

Especially since threads from previous weeks keep popping up. We wind up going back to discuss new things we've thought of, or ideas brought up by later episodes.

BrettStah
09-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Exactly... I haven't yet started my own re-watch of TNG, but when I do, I can now jump in with questions/comments about specific episodes in the proper threads, without confusing folks who may be talking about a more recent episode...

gchance
09-07-2011, 12:14 PM
You guys obviously don't remember our Babylon 5 rewatch. I can remember 4, 5 episodes being on the front page and nobody complaining at all.

Magister
09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I voted for and still support individual threads. Much easier to follow and allows the slow-pokes to catch up.

IndyJones1023
09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I voted for and still support individual threads. Much easier to follow and allows the slow-pokes to catch up.

As it should be for every show.

cwerdna
09-08-2011, 05:52 PM
It's 9 clicks a week. I think it's manageable. Small price to pay for being able to customize the content of the forum to an individual's liking.
9 clicks? Looking at my TiVo, I see ~20 eps of TNG being aired between today, 9/8 and 9/20, excluding most of the dupes.

If you had my lineup, it'd be 60+ clicks each week. I see them airing on SyFy, a local: KOFY 13, WGN, and BBCA.

Since some folks seem opposed to lumping them all in one season, how about lumping a few consecutive eps together in a thread? Some eps were so bad (mainly from season 1), they're hardly worth watching, let alone discussing.

BrettStah
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM
9 clicks? Looking at my TiVo, I see ~20 eps of TNG being aired between today, 9/8 and 9/20, excluding most of the dupes.

If you had my lineup, it'd be 60+ clicks each week. I see them airing on SyFy, a local: KOFY 13, WGN, and BBCA.

Since some folks seem opposed to lumping them all in one season, how about lumping a few consecutive eps together in a thread? Some eps were so bad (mainly from season 1), they're hardly worth watching, let alone discussing.

cwerdna
09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
^^^
I think I'd need to do that on at least two, possibly three of my machines (I have 2 laptops and a desktop) and I doubt it'd do any good on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 since Firefox doesn't exist on iOS.

I browse TC from all of the above.

LoadStar
09-08-2011, 06:40 PM

If you read earlier in the thread, we're doing 3 episodes a week moving consecutively through the series.

Our rewatch threads have nothing to do with anything airing in syndication or on cable or anything; the assumption is that people are watching them on DVD, NetFlix Watch Instantly, Amazon Prime streaming, or are finding some other source for the episodes.

BrettStah
09-08-2011, 07:08 PM
^^^
I think I'd need to do that on at least two, possibly three of my machines (I have 2 laptops and a desktop) and I doubt it'd do any good on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 since Firefox doesn't exist on iOS.

I browse TC from all of the above.

You only need to hide a thread one time though, and then it's hidden no matter how you browse.

DougF
09-08-2011, 07:57 PM

How about you let those of us who are watching and discussing make those decisions for ourselves?

zordude
09-18-2011, 11:23 AM
When I first saw this thread I watched S1E1 and had trouble getting through it. The episode threads kept popping up and made me more interested. I've just now caught up to where you guys are in the threads and think this was a great idea.

Thanks!

harrinpj
09-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Yeah, those little X boxes don't show up for me. What am I doing wrong? That would seriously change my life.

LoadStar
09-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, those little X boxes don't show up for me. What am I doing wrong? That would seriously change my life.

You need to install the Ignore Thread (http://fourohfour.info/greasescripts/tcf_ignore_thread.user.js) add-on. To do so, you either need Chrome, or Firefox with the Greasemonkey extension.

robojerk
09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
If you use Firefox you'll need Greasemoney (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/). Greasefire (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasefire/?src=dp-dl-oftenusedwith) is an addon that help manage your scripts in firefox.

If you use Google Chrome you don't need an extra addon.

There are a ton of other scripts available at Userscripts.org (http://userscripts.org/). I love this Facebook chat script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/107159) for example.

harrinpj
09-19-2011, 11:32 AM
You need to install the Ignore Thread (http://fourohfour.info/greasescripts/tcf_ignore_thread.user.js) add-on. To do so, you either need Chrome, or Firefox with the Greasemonkey extension.

Thanks. Installed.

zordude
09-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I just wanted to comment: 28 episodes in season 1!

I cant remember the last time a show I watched even had 20, let alone in a first season.

They really made tv actors work for the money back in the day :)

LoadStar
09-19-2011, 04:43 PM
I just wanted to comment: 28 episodes in season 1!

I cant remember the last time a show I watched even had 20, let alone in a first season.

They really made tv actors work for the money back in the day :)

24, actually. "Encounter at Farpoint" was filmed and sold as a "Movie Of The Week," and was not part of the initial series order.

It was later split into a part 1 and 2, and airs as a part of the regular series in syndication. For syndication purposes, season 1 has 26 episodes.

DougF
09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Right, but Netflix is showing 28. They show "Farpoint" parts 1 & 2 together, show each part separately as "Unavailable" and an extra at the end titled "Hide and", which is "Hide and Q". If you don't look at the list closely, you'll think there are 28.

Frylock
09-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Right, but Netflix is showing 28. They show "Farpoint" parts 1 & 2 together, show each part separately as "Unavailable" and an extra at the end titled "Hide and", which is "Hide and Q". If you don't look at the list closely, you'll think there are 28.

Which is funny, because when they first put it out, that Q episode was episode 11 or so. Then when they took Season 1 down and brought it back up, they re-ordered it to the end of Season 1.

LoadStar
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Which is funny, because when they first put it out, that Q episode was episode 11 or so. Then when they took Season 1 down and brought it back up, they re-ordered it to the end of Season 1.

It's still there in the middle... for some reason, it's doubled up in the list. It might be the reason they took that season down... that might be an episode they had to re-encode.

LoadStar
10-01-2011, 10:28 AM
For those interested in DS9, like me, Netflix has finally flipped the switch and put that whole series online for watch instantly as well, as of today.

DougF
10-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Awesome! It should take us about another year to finish up TNG. I say we start with DS9 then.

Bryanmc
10-09-2011, 12:06 AM
What's happened to the STTNG threads? Right when I get caught up they've stopped appearing.

Worf
10-09-2011, 01:48 AM
They appear on the weekends or so, 3 per week I think.

doom1701
10-09-2011, 07:35 AM
What's happened to the STTNG threads? Right when I get caught up they've stopped appearing.

I usually create them on Saturday or Sunday night, depending on what my schedule is for the weekend.

Feel free to create threads for the three for this week, though!

Bryanmc
10-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Cool, I hadn't realized thou had a routine to starting the threads. I'd only been reading through them as I completed the episode.

I'll just let you handle them as normal, didn't know if people were taking a break or what.

doom1701
10-16-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm not going to be able to start any threads this weekend--my wife has been in the hospital (the flu and type 1 diabetes don't mix, but she's doing better and should be home tomorrow). Feel free to start the next three without me, or we can wait till next week.

Or, since there's just one episode left, perhaps someone can start a thread for that and include with it a chance to discuss feelings on the first season.

zordude
10-21-2011, 10:03 PM
FYI - "The Captains" is available on Netflix streaming now.

gchance
10-22-2011, 11:48 PM
FYI - "The Captains" is available on Netflix streaming now.

You had me all excited.. but no, it says unavailable. Then it suggested Tekwar. :P

Greg

DougF
10-23-2011, 08:04 AM
It worked for me. I haven't watched it yet, but I added it to the queue and started playing it.

What was odd was that searching "The Captains" brought up two entries. The first was disc-only and wasn't available yet. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see the next entry for streaming.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Captains/70187715?trkid=496624

gchance
10-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Ah, call me dumb, I didn't scroll down. Thanks! I've been wanting to watch this, even though every review says it's more about Shatner than the other actors. :P

Greg

doom1701
11-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I fired up Netflix tonight to watch the next season 2 episode (The Icarus Factor--I'll start a thread yet tonight), and instead wound up watching two season 4 episodes.

I don't think it's technically a spoiler to say: Damn, this show got really, really good. We're to the point now where it's occasionally finding it's legs, but when it starts hitting on all cylinders in Season 4, it still stands up as some of the best television I've ever seen.

gchance
11-21-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't think it's technically a spoiler to say: Damn, this show got really, really good. We're to the point now where it's occasionally finding it's legs, but when it starts hitting on all cylinders in Season 4, it still stands up as some of the best television I've ever seen.

It was that way AT LEAST from the middle of Season 3, maybe even towards the end. All I know is one of my best TNG memories is my jaw hitting the floor at Picard at the Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger. I'm almost afraid to give myself sneak peaks, I want it to unfold naturally. If only we can get through this Pulaski mess. ;)

Greg

Magister
11-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Season 3 is where it changed. I remember waiting for the 2nd Part of Best of Both Worlds. It was a major topic on various BBSs and geek magazines for that Summer.

kettledrum
11-22-2011, 12:38 PM
How about half an episode once every three weeks? Really stretch this thing out.

That is probably the pace I am going on. Actually that is a faster pace than I am going on lol. One of my local channels started broadcasting these at 1am 6 nights a week beginning last February. Strangely enough they stopped broadcasting them around the time others in this thread mentioned that seasons were disappearing from Netflix. I am still watching season one now.

LoadStar
12-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Hmm. Next up is "Shades of Grey." Is there really any point to a rewatch of this episode? (read: Please, please don't make me rewatch this episode!!! ;))

doom1701
12-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I almost posted the thread for it yesterday with the statement "I have no intention of watching this episode."

Bryanmc
12-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I watched it. There was actually more "new material" in it than I remembered.

I can't remember why they did the clip show, was it a writer's strike or something?

DougF
12-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that was the year of the writers strike.

LoadStar
12-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that was the year of the writers strike.

Plus it was a budget episode to make up for expensive episodes like "Elementary Dear Data" - they filmed it in only 3 days, using two standing sets (Transporter Room, Sickbay) and one new set (Planet).

kaszeta
12-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Hmm. Next up is "Shades of Grey." Is there really any point to a rewatch of this episode? (read: Please, please don't make me rewatch this episode!!! ;))

It's probably not the worst TNG episode I remember (I think that honor goes to "Masks" in Season 7).

It is, however, probably the episode least worth rewatching.

Bryanmc
12-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I think Riker is a clone. He has no memories prior to Encounter at Farpoint.

LoadStar
12-17-2011, 10:50 AM
It's probably not the worst TNG episode I remember (I think that honor goes to "Masks" in Season 7).

Hmm. I would've gone with "Genesis" (also Season 7).

doom1701
12-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Ironically, there was a lot of bad in Season 7. At least, for the most part, it was a really good looking bad, rather than a really cheap and spandexy bad in Seasons 1 and 2.

kaszeta
12-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Ironically, there was a lot of bad in Season 7. At least, for the most part, it was a really good looking bad, rather than a really cheap and spandexy bad in Seasons 1 and 2.

Yeah, Season 7 seemed to have a lot of "that script's been lying around a while, let's finally film it"

LoadStar
12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Are we going to skip this coming weekend, with it being Christmas weekend and all? I figure things are usually busy enough that weekend for many that there won't be time to watch.

DougF
12-19-2011, 07:43 AM
That's fine with me.

doom1701
12-19-2011, 08:14 AM
I can handle that. I might get a little ahead, since Christmas Day tends to be a little bit of excitement, followed by a few hours of boredom. But that's not a problem, since I tend to fall behind most weeks.

So, New Years Day we start Season 3. I know the show gets better, yet all I can focus on still is the fact that we get the new uniforms. The spandex gut huggers are just so, so, so bad.

doom1701
03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm sure everybody has noticed that I've fallen *way* behind; between family stuff, work, and getting back into teaching, the extent of my TV watching is finding time to squeeze in Transformers Prime once a week...

gchance
03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
That's ok, life happens. I only watched the last episode a few days ago anyway. :)

Greg

cwerdna
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Did the rewatching stop? It looks like BBCA is having a TNG marathon on July 4th.

gchance
07-09-2012, 12:08 PM
As a group, yeah, but I'm at S4E11 now.

Greg