PDA

View Full Version : So You Think You Can Dance "Top 4 performance finale" 8/10/2011 *spoilers*

Kamakzie
08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Performance finale show.

Katie Holmes and Kenny Ortega are guest judges.

Marko and Melanie - Disco by Doriana Sanchez - I thought she outshined Marko in this dance. The spin lift at the end didn't look real crisp.

Sasha and all-star Mark - Contemporary by Sonya Tayeh - I thought Sasha did very great in this number. Mark did very good too but we aren't judging him. :)

Tadd and all-star Joshua - Hip hop by Lil' C - I thought Tadd did really good. Nice to see Joshua again on here.

Melanie all-star Robert - Contemporary by Stacey Tookey - I thought she did great. Robert did nicely as well. I think it will come down to between her and Sasha.

Sasha and Marko - Broadway by Spencer Liff - Both did very nicely with this one. Sasha is fantastic and so is Melanie. It's going to be a tough vote between them.

Melanie solo - 1-888-TEMPO-01 - Short solo but good.

Marko solo - 1-888-TEMPO-02 - Another good solo.

Sasha and Tadd - Cha cha by Mark Ballas - It was okay and I wasn't blown away with it.

Marko and all-star Lauren - Contemporary by Tessandra Chavez - I thought they both did very good on this one.

Tadd solo - 1-888-TEMPO-03 - Amazing what the b-boys can do. Crazy stuff.

Melanie and Tadd - Jazz by Ray Leeper - Cute little number. I thought they did good but Melanie was stronger once again.

Sasha solo - 1-888-TEMPO-04 - A good solo.

Melanie and Sasha - Contemporary by Stacey Tookey - A very good performance. I think these two will be in the final 2 and I'll stop saying that now. :)

Tadd and Marko - Gumboot Step by Chuck Maldonado - Hmmm.... looked painfully out of sync at times. Ouch! Even the choreographer looked disappointed to me. Maybe it was just me.

Nigel thinks a girl will win and I concur.

murgatroyd
08-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Marko and Melanie - Disco by Doriana Sanchez - I thought she outshined Marko in this dance. The spin lift at the end didn't look real crisp.

It's late and I need to get to bed, so I'll just comment on this one dance for now, and get back to the rest later on.

I can't find anything good to say about this dance.

I certainly can't agree that Melanie outshone Marko. In the early overhead lift, which I deduce was supposed to have the girl horizontal over the guy's head (the lift known as a 'Detroiter' in figure skating), Melanie didn't / couldn't hold her position, and collapsed around Marko like a wet noodle.

I would bet big bucks that whatever lift Doriana asked them to do, if it wasn't a Detroiter, it certainly wasn't THAT.

Was it his fault? Hers? Nigel noted that a lift went wrong and gave Marko props for being able to press her up to a straight-arm position while turning. But the difficulty with executing a lift is not just about whether the guy is strong. The girl has to be strong, too, to hold her position, or the guy can't lift her -- and there has to be the right timing between the two, otherwise the guy is lifting a dead weight -- not easy if you aren't expecting that.

So I can't give Marko all the blame for the botched lifts. Some of it also has to be on her, for not getting the timing / spacing / entry into the lift right.

The whole thing looked very, very sluggish and under-rehearsed -- not surprising, really, when you think about the number of performances everyone had to prepare for. I grant you the music was slow -- but the dancing didn't have the energy and pizazz that it should have had -- the playfulness, the effortlessness just wasn't there.

It was extremely lacking as a performance for the finale -- I'd say it was no better than a week two or three performance in any other season.

By contrast, my two all-time favorites:

ibIgq9-O_HE

qVbku5TfPzg

Mollie and Nathan also tore up the stage in their season.

ultimateking
08-11-2011, 06:29 AM
I missed it :(

Cainebj
08-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Katie Holmes is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :eek:

jehma
08-11-2011, 09:21 AM

What a waste a time she was.

The finale - eh. A fitting end to an eh season. For me, comparing this season to something like seasons 2, 3, or 4, really shows how little I care about it. I watched them all but 6, my favorite was 4.

I enjoyed Sasha & Mark's dance last night the best. I also liked the Sasha & Melanie housewife routine. One of those two girls should win. I prefer Sasha, but one way or another those two girls have gotten a huge boost to their careers from this.

None of the rest of them really grabbed me. I loved seeing Joshua dance again, though. I agree that the final Tadd & Marko number was very out of sync.

HIHZia
08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
What a terrible night! I wasn't impressed with anything, and I'm not sure if it's the dancers fault or the choreographers.

At this point I really don't care who wins. :(

zalusky
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I thought it was a little creepy that they were calling out Ortega to hire Melanie for Dirty Dancing. She may have a lot of skills but I am not completely sold on her non dancing acting skills. IMO Lauren Froderman looks perfect for the part if they were going to choose somebody from the show.

pmyers
08-11-2011, 10:33 AM
wow...some real stinkers. Not a good finale....and why end the show/season with that stinker of a slap/step number.

jehma
08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
wow...some real stinkers. Not a good finale....and why end the show/season with that stinker of a slap/step number.

Because nothing else was really that much better?

Very disappointing finale.

jlb
08-11-2011, 11:10 AM
What a terrible night! I wasn't impressed with anything, and I'm not sure if it's the dancers fault or the choreographers.

At this point I really don't care who wins. :(

Perhaps also rehearsing 4 dances (including the solo) on an already tired bunch was just a little too much.....

Agreed. I was toally underwhelmed. And the Disco number....I agree...doesn't hold up against Brandon and Jeanette's, especially with the spread eagle "here is my hoo ha", lift, Brandon's one arm lift, and the routine in general.

This show needed a little Mia on the choreography side, more Travis, Stacey, etc......Instead of a lot of new choreographers.

Kamakzie
08-11-2011, 11:24 AM

I call her the Stepford wife.. :D

Kamakzie
08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Dialidol predicting a Sasha blowout win. Not that it means anything...

voripteth
08-11-2011, 12:02 PM
I predicted Melanie would win back at the top 20. She wasn't as strong in the finale so based on that I'm switching my prediction to Sasha being the favorite.

Nigel is right that it'll be a girl winner this year. It'll be very close.

zalusky
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Part of me think Nigel dissed the boys because he wanted to bring up their vote by getting people out there riled up.

In the end he probably knew who was going to win a month ago. I am sure on most of these shows the voting is pretty consistent.

pmyers
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
a little less sonja please...

pmyers
08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Part of me think Nigel dissed the boys because he wanted to bring up their vote by getting people out there riled up...

I thought that was a little cold of him to say right to their faces. What good does that comment make? They can't change anything now.

murgatroyd
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I just couldn't bring myself to vote.

I thought about voting for Sasha, to make sure Melanie didn't win, but I couldn't even do that.

To Ray Leeper's credit, the number with Melanie and Tadd was the only thing I've seen all season where I actually liked Melanie's dancing. I have to give her props -- it couldn't have been easy dancing with one shoe on and one shoe off.

Apart from that number, I am mystified as to the Melanie love.

When I heard Stacey talking about how the subject of the piece was Melanie's unrequited love for Robert, I just wanted the earth to open up and swallow the theatre whole.

How I missed Mia Michaels this season.

P.S. I was underwhelmed by the cha-cha, but I'd like to see it performed properly before I decide the choreography is bad. So I want a repeat performance -- let's see performances from:

Mark Ballas himself and Chelsie Hightower
Brandon Bryant and Janette Manrara
Russell Ferguson and Iveta Lukosiute

The finale - eh. A fitting end to an eh season. For me, comparing this season to something like seasons 2, 3, or 4, really shows how little I care about it. I watched them all but 6, my favorite was 4.

Seasons 2, 3, 4, 5 -- those were the glory seasons. Season 1 was fun because they were still finding their way. Seasons 6, 7, 8 -- it's like watching people being put through a meat-grinder.

Most of my favorite parts of seasons 6, 7, and 8 are from the audition rounds and Vegas week. The obvious exception: Alex Wong dancing with Twitch.

murgatroyd
08-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I thought that was a little cold of him to say right to their faces. What good does that comment make? They can't change anything now.

If you are going to be a professional dancer, you have to learn to take notes. Even if the show is done, you need to have notes so you can make your dancing better next time.

pmyers
08-11-2011, 01:00 PM
If you are going to be a professional dancer, you have to learn to take notes. Even if the show is done, you need to have notes so you can make your dancing better next time.

Fair enough but that was not constructive criticism or anything to take notes about.

zalusky
08-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Fair enough but that was not constructive criticism or anything to take notes about.

Nigel's allegiance is to the audience and ratings not to the dancer.

Regarding dissing the choreographers and loosing them. It seems this show is cloned across the world. You would think they would have a vast talent pool they could woo to bring to the US.

pmyers
08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
note for the producers....if you are going to have a guest judge, please make them have at least SOME dance experience so they can intelligently comment, and 4 judges is too many.

Cainebj
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
other than last night...

the best thing about this season has been the guest judges

Megan Mullalhy, Neil Patrick Harris, Christina Applegate and Lady Gaga were all pretty excellent.

and I blame the choreographers for the m'eh show last night.

just a quick example - that disco number didn't fly because the choreographer was too busy trying to show off her lifts and the dancers couldn't keep up with it...

there was an article in the new york times with 5 pro dancer choreographer's watching the show and critiquing it - i found it a interesting read...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/arts/dance/so-you-think-you-can-judge-dance-shows.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=so%20you%20think%20you%20can%20dance&st=cse

pmyers
08-11-2011, 03:51 PM
...the best thing about this season has been the guest judges

Megan Mullalhy, Neil Patrick Harris, Christina Applegate and Lady Gaga were all pretty excellent.

I don't remember Megan, but the other ones were good and all had some type of dance/performing background and could articulate. A couple of the other guest judges this season were HORRIBLE!