PDA

View Full Version : Take the Money and Run 8/2 *spoilers*

Neenahboy
08-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Anyone else watch this tonight? It's the newest show from Jerry Bruckheimer and Bertram Van Munster, in which two people have one hour to hide a briefcase containing $100,000 somewhere in the streets of San Francisco. Two police detectives and two interrogators have 48 hours (and access to all calls made and the contestants' GPS coordinates during that hour) to find it.

The one brother tonight was a HUGE pansy, but their biggest error was making calls. Not only were they unnecessary to begin with, why did the brothers use the cell phone to make them? Why not get change, drive a few miles away, park and go to a pay phone, make a couple calls, then drive some more and find another one and make a couple more, and so on? It made absolutely no sense to me.

But honestly, I'm confused as to why they said anything to the interrogators at all, unless they were contractually obligated to answer questions. Why not just sit down for 48 hours and continually recite the phrases "I won't be answering any questions" and "I don't recall?" Again, made no sense.

It was a pretty cool premise, though...I'm interested to see how far two more methodical people can take this.

DancnDude
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I thought it was pretty interesting. I'd bet it's really hard to be under the pressure of the interrogators, even with the money on the line. I bet they are required to talk to the investigators.

08-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Didn't ABC try a show years ago (2001 maybe) about running from Agents? I think it was never aired due to 9/11.

wendiness1
08-03-2011, 12:47 AM
I was rather disappointed.

Seems the cops were really not even close to narrowing things down, despite their reminders to us that they were. The interrogators also jumped to some conclusions that made it interesting, since they were often wrong too. Why did the cops believe the one guy who said he didn't see them? He could have been lying. LIkewise many of their interviews.

In the end, the brothers lost only because Paul caved in. I just couldn't buy that he was THAT weak. It was almost as if the producers wanted the first episode to conclude that way.

i don't think this show will hold my interest for long. Looks like the interrogators are in each episode and I really dislike them both a LOT.

Too bad. I had really hoped for so much more.

jschuman
08-03-2011, 05:49 AM
I was rather disappointed.

Seems the cops were really not even close to narrowing things down, despite their reminders to us that they were. The interrogators also jumped to some conclusions that made it interesting, since they were often wrong too. Why did the cops believe the one guy who said he didn't see them? He could have been lying. LIkewise many of their interviews.

In the end, the brothers lost only because Paul caved in. I just couldn't buy that he was THAT weak. It was almost as if the producers wanted the first episode to conclude that way.

i don't think this show will hold my interest for long. Looks like the interrogators are in each episode and I really dislike them both a LOT.

Too bad. I had really hoped for so much more.+1

One area of frustration is not knowing the 'rules' under which the contestants must play. As others above have asked, Why say anything to the investigators? Also, can they just give the briefcase to a friend and tell him to drive it out of the city? Keep driving around with it for 2 days? Can just 1 contestant hide the briefcase or must both know the location? I can think of plenty of ways to 'hide' the briefcase that would make it darn near impossible for the investigators to find it in 48 hours, but my guess is that most of them are against these un-advertised 'rules'.

The heavy editing is also frustrating as it's hard to tell what happened (in the investigation) and when.

The one thing that I thought was smart on the part of the interrogators was when they started to narrow the possible drop locations by the gaps in the phone records. But again, the wimpy bro just spilled his guts 'cause he wanted to go home. Disappointing.

And why did only those 2 guys get to keep the money? I would argue that the interrogators deserved it too (if not more!).

Legion
08-03-2011, 07:32 AM
I think the calls were a good idea because it wasted alot of time as it set up possible decoys all along the way. They should of made more. I felt like thay had it until the weak brother caved in.

The interrogators probably get paid either way.

I see the lead detective for next week is a detective from First 48 on AE. Michael Schillacey (sp?) from Miami.

rondotcom
08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
BTW here are some rules from Jerry Bruckheimer's blog
(http://blog.jbfilms.com/?p=795)

That Don Guy
08-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Didn't ABC try a show years ago (2001 maybe) about running from Agents? I think it was never aired due to 9/11.
Yes - The Runner. (IIRC, they were going to have viewers try to find the person in order to win cash.)

Apparently, the winner of the million dollars in Push, NV only started watching that show because he thought he was going to be watching The Runner.

DancnDude
08-03-2011, 09:23 AM
It also does say on there (http://blog.jbfilms.com/?p=783) that the 2 interrogators are on every episode, so it seems they must be paid by the show.

wendiness1
08-03-2011, 09:59 AM
It also does say on there (http://blog.jbfilms.com/?p=783) that the 2 interrogators are on every episode, so it seems they must be paid by the show.

I had a hunch they are. In that case the show is doomed. The interogaters are very unlikable people; very arrogant.

I think the rules needed to be revealed, as well. I kept wondering why Raul or Paul would lie about this but not that.

It really concerns me that the outcome from this show could have significant long-lasting repercussions between sibling, friends, etc. Unless Paul and Raul were paid to lose for the sake of the pilot, I fear their relationship as brothers will forever be negatively affected.

WhiskeyTango
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
They should have given the case to their other brother and told him to go deliver it to one of their friends. Then have the bro lie and say they still had the case when he saw them. The cops would have no connection to look at the friend because the only call was to the brother. Or Paul could have just not told where the case was.

Neenahboy
08-03-2011, 03:02 PM

They CAN use pay phones. Well, that makes the brothers even dumber, then.

Waldorf
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Money must stay inside briefcase.
Teams must use the vehicle but they can park and walk.
They can use pay phones.
Detectives get GPS information tracking the vehicle, cell phone records.
The briefcase must be hidden somewhere accessible 24 hours a day.
Anyone the contestants use to hide the money must be accessible by detectives.
All questions must be answered, but both sides are expected to lie and do their best to deceive the other.

The trick seems to be you have to answer the interrogator's questions, but you can lie.

Originally, this was annoying to me and I kept yelling "you fool!" but I guess it would be a really boring show if the contestants just kept saying "no comment" or "I want to see my lawyer".

I also had problems with the perceived psychological impact of staged incarceration. :confused:

MNoelH
08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
They CAN use pay phones. Well, that makes the brothers even dumber, then.

I honestly think they should have made MORE calls, not less. They also should have visited many more locations. Interviews take time and resources that could eat up the 48 hours.

WhiskeyTango
08-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I honestly think they should have made MORE calls, not less. They also should have visited many more locations. Interviews take time and resources that could eat up the 48 hours.

I don't think the cops can tell where they stopped to visit, just the route they took. I do agree with more calls though. I'd start calling everyone including stores and restaurants. Then use the pay phone to make the important calls.

plateau10
08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
The briefcase must be hidden somewhere accessible 24 hours a day.

Hmm, so doesn't that make their initial choice (the restaurant) an illegal one?

TBoons
08-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Without stating the rules, the show was really dumb. My family and I were finding ourselves yelling at the two guys to shut up. Still, that dude cracking under the pressure makes no sense to me.

Even with the rules as I read them, the show is still kinda weak. I am going to give it another chance.

Swirl_Junkie
08-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I didn't understand why they just took all the brothers friends on their word. As soon as one of them said the briefcase wasn't there, they just accepted it as fact.

Not knowing the full rules made it almost not worth watching.

I didn't hate the interrogators, but I don't know if I can take them a whole season.
I think this show would be more interesting, if the next contestants were allowed to watch past episodes, to give them insight, and ideas.

Those brothers should have gone over their story the entire hour, making it airtight.

I like the idea of the show, I'm just not sure it's being implemented in the best way.

Einselen
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I didn't understand why they just took all the brothers friends on their word. As soon as one of them said the briefcase wasn't there, they just accepted it as fact.

Not knowing the full rules made it almost not worth watching.

I didn't hate the interrogators, but I don't know if I can take them a whole season.
I think this show would be more interesting, if the next contestants were allowed to watch past episodes, to give them insight, and ideas.

Those brothers should have gone over their story the entire hour, making it airtight.

I like the idea of the show, I'm just not sure it's being implemented in the best way.

I have to agree with this assessment 100%. There were some odd things that happened, like taking the friends responses as truthful. The investigators once ruled out the first part of the trip because a friend said yeah I saw them with the briefcase around their wrist.

Also I found it very odd the brother cracked. I wonder if productions offered him a side deal off camera that said fess up and you will get this guaranteed money, if you don't you could walk away with nothing and it isn't looking good right now.

The last thing is I am sure in the rules there is something against this, but what if you could call up a friend or family member and hand them the briefcase and tell them to put it in their house (again possibly breaking the 24 hour accessibility rule)

jschuman
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Those brothers should have gone over their story the entire hour, making it airtight.I almost feel like the exact opposite is the best strategy. Just lie about anything and everything when they ask you. Forget about getting stories straight, just tell whatever story pops into your head. Eventually the investigators will just get fed up with your craziness and stop interrogating you.

Unlike the 'real world' there's absolutely no benefit or incentive to tell them anything close to the truth. When they ask you if the briefcase is in the park? Your answer: Sometimes it is and other times it floats to the sky with bagels and cauliflower!

Just have fun and be a crazy person!

That's why the one brother's cracking made no sense. It's not like they're going to torture you or keep you in jail for months or anything. There's not a single threat they can make and follow through on, except keep you there for the 48 hours.

Swirl_Junkie
08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Good point. That would work.

bc0312
08-04-2011, 08:15 PM
They also did not have any game plan going in. You would think that once you found out the rules and knew that you were going to be on the show, you would strategize and predetermine your hiding spot.

MarkofT
08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I think ya'll are underestimating the whole psychological strategy of the interrogators. Irregular sleep patterns, isolation, and the invasion of personal space is each enough to get most people to break over time. They only have 48 hours to get it done so they use all 3.

Notice the brothers all had bottles of water to drink. There wasn't running water in their holding/isolation cells. You go pee on their schedule. That's reinforcement for the above methods.

And the brother that broke had an extra weight. He phrased his living situation as his mother living with him. He stated several times the money would be for her benefit. He set himself up to fail with that added pressure.

I would take the briefcase and head for a thrift store and buy a briefcase/suitcase to hide the moneycase in while toting it around. Then to the nearest cluster of 3-5 story buildings. Get access to the roof and put it under an AC unit. Doesn't matter if you are seen, do that for 3-4 buildings with the cover briefcase/suitcase. Then at the 2 minute warning, drop in a dumpster or hand it off to a homeless person. During interrogation, each person has one "true story" that they synced up between them. Use that "true story" sparingly while making up stuff individually. They will spend plenty of time piecing together the "true story" which wasn't true at all. Take control of the interrogations. They really hate that.

And hope they don't get lucky. That's what breaks more cases then anything.

That and the investigators being jumping to the right conclusions for the wrong reasons. They did that several times this episode and it ended up working out for them.

mattack
08-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Hmm.. I actually thought it was fairly interesting. Not anywhere near the best reality shows, but more entertaining than Big Brother, which for some reason I keep watching.

Yes, it was all phony.. i.e. the fact that they had to talk to the cops/interrogators. It was still entertaining.

I can't believe the guy gave in so quickly. Jeez.

jschuman
08-04-2011, 09:56 PM
They also did not have any game plan going in. You would think that once you found out the rules and knew that you were going to be on the show, you would strategize and predetermine your hiding spot.I really got the feeling that these guys signed up to be on "a reality show with a cash prize" and found out their task, parameters and rules about 15 minutes before getting the briefcase. It's the most reasonable explanation for why they had almost no game plan going in.

mattack
08-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Also, it is kind of weird that the one brother wanted to get the other brother (the squealer) out and doing something... yet there was really only an hour of that. (Yeah, there was the time in the cell, but I don't know if they expected that beforehand.)

Mike Lang
08-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Just watched this. The obvious move is to not answer any questions. However, since the rules say you have to answer but are free to lie, the next obvious choice seems to be answering every question with a useless answer.
Interrogator: "What did you do first?"
Contestant: "Purple"

pdhenry
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
The rules (http://abc.go.com/shows/take-the-money-and-run/faq/) also say you can't give nonsense/impossible answers (such as "the case is on the moon.").

Mike Lang
08-07-2011, 10:57 PM
The rules (http://abc.go.com/shows/take-the-money-and-run/faq/) also say you can't give nonsense/impossible answers (such as "the case is on the moon.").
That's not a problem, stuff like "I don't recall", "I don't know", etc. will render most questions useless and still be within the rules. There's no reason to utter more than a small handful of words over and over. Giving them a baseline to determine truth vs. lie is inexcusable. If you render the interrogation process useless, you've won half the battle.

jlb
08-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I would have found the closest homeless person to the start and said "sleep on top of this for two days" and then driven fart away and then make many stops. No calls whatsoever.

Frylock
08-10-2011, 08:19 AM
I think ya'll are underestimating the whole psychological strategy of the interrogators. Irregular sleep patterns, isolation, and the invasion of personal space is each enough to get most people to break over time. They only have 48 hours to get it done so they use all 3.

Notice the brothers all had bottles of water to drink. There wasn't running water in their holding/isolation cells. You go pee on their schedule. That's reinforcement for the above methods.

Are you sure about that? I thought I saw a toilet in their cell. I imagine they had bottled water because the plumbing in that building may not be great.

MarkofT
08-10-2011, 11:42 PM
They use abandoned jails for the filming, I've noticed. Hard to say if they have working plumbing. I don't recall seeing a toilet, but I could be wrong.

Frylock
08-11-2011, 07:26 AM
They use abandoned jails for the filming, I've noticed. Hard to say if they have working plumbing. I don't recall seeing a toilet, but I could be wrong.

Another episode had running water and a toilet, so I don't think they are withholding anything like that from them.