PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad - Jumping the shark?

voripteth
08-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Wow. I've never seen such a bad season premier that makes me want to cancel my season pass. It seems that everyone is either a whiner or acting stupidly.
Skyler - I want the car wash because it was my idea! Wah wah.
Hank - It's my pity party so I'll cry if I want to.
Marie - Same old petty theft and whining when caught.
Walt - Outrage because he's being watched after trying to kill the boss? He doesn't want the carwash for good reasons but suddenly turns around because he's called "chicken"? How can he be SO stupid not to see he's being manipulated!?
Jesse - At least he's not whining this time but he looks as depressed as I felt after watching this episode.

I just cringe at how stupid everyone is acting for no good reason. It will be hard to come up with the fortitude to wade through this muck until it gets good again. IF it gets good again.

The only characters who are smart and I can tolerate are Mike and Gus. Let's kill off everyone else. ;)

NatasNJ
08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
I thought the season premier was solid.
I am getting sick of the SIDE story lines and want more Walt & Jesse.
I do think the past two episodes should have been condensed into one.
Like how episode 3 ended and looking forward to see how thing progress from here as it seems things MOVE forward fast starting next week. :)

robojerk
08-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I think it's been awesome.

rpph
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Voripteth - I say cancel your season pass. I will continue to watch and enjoy.

Legion
08-01-2011, 12:08 PM
How are they jumping the shark though?

I could see if Walt and Jesse win the annual Chili and Meth Lab Cook Off down in Santa Fe or something similar. But right now all I see is characer and plot points being developed.

kaszeta
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I thought it jumped the shark back when the plane crash happened. It recovered.

Bierboy
08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
You must not be paying very close attention; this was NOT the season premiere. This was the third episode of season 3. I'm not wild about this season so far. But I'm cutting it some slack; I expect this season to hit its stride very soon....

voripteth
08-01-2011, 01:06 PM
My mistake, I was referring to episode 3 of this season, not the premier. Box cutter and 38 snub were decent episodes mainly because they focused on the main characters.

Perhaps they have something planned for Skylar, Marie and Hank but they sure are making me loathe those characters.

DanB
08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
well, lots of open ended stuff going on right now. Not sure how many will be closed or really add up to anything.

Still a good hour of fun though.

spikedavis
08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Last season we had the persistant dread of the cousins stalking Walt-which made every episode suspenseful. This year is not so much-but I do enjoy it. Seeing Skylar become involved with Walt's ways, and even excelling at it is great to watch-because it's actually rekindling their relationship.

getreal
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Perhaps they have something planned for Skylar, Marie and Hank but they sure are making me loathe those characters.

Don't forget about Walt Jr.
RJ Mitte says his character is about to get a bit darker (http://www.digitalspy.ca/ustv/s166/breaking-bad/news/a332131/breaking-bad-star-walt-jr-will-get-a-little-bit-darker.html) ... and I'm not talking about a tan. ;)

Fleegle
08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
For a number of reasons, I've been in a pretty dark place over the past month or so, and I am finding myself identifying with a lot of the emotions we're seeing this season.

Hoffer
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I thought the first episode of this season was amazing. The second episode I was bored and started wondering where the show could go. By the end of episode 3, I was interested again for something reason.

john4200
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Wow. I've never seen such a bad season premier that makes me want to cancel my season pass. It seems that everyone is either a whiner or acting stupidly.

I just cringe at how stupid everyone is acting for no good reason.

Except for the "season premier" part, I completely agree. They should change the show name to "Breaking Dumb". I don't expect all of the characters to be playing it smart, but it would be nice to see some of them doing so. Smart and ruthless is more fun to watch than dumb and bumbling.

Bierboy
08-01-2011, 02:29 PM
....Seeing Skylar become involved with Walt's ways, and even excelling at it is great to watch-because it's actually rekindling their relationship.

Yeah, up until she asked him how he paid for the champagne, I thought they were gonna jump each others' bones...

Bierboy
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Don't forget about Walt Jr.....

I was thinking about how little we've seen of him so far in these three eps....not at all in this week's.

robojerk
08-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah, up until she asked him how he paid for the champagne, I thought they were gonna jump each others' bones...

It could be that she was thinking the same thing, and decided to throw her tantrum to kill the mood. She's still mad at him, but it's obvious she's getting over it.

cheesesteak
08-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Jesse must have some really tolerant neighbors.

Bierboy
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Jesse must have some really tolerant neighbors.

Hard to believe the cops haven't busted his days-long party by now...

ewolfr
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Im more concerned about the future of the show since Sony is apparently sending out feelers to other networks while still talking to AMC:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/08/breaking-bad-amc-sony.html

calitivo
08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I think the writers have earned enough trust in the season 2 and 3 arcs that we can expect a lot of the early episodes to eventually pay off.

This show allows for a ton of speculation about what could happen. For example, I read somewhere that (huge spoiler if it actually comes true which I doubt)...

Mike killed Gus in a scene we'll see later. Backed up with Mike telling Walt he won't talk to Gus again and the blood on his shirt in episode 2. There clearly is something up with Mike we don't know about because he keeps coughing. Looking forward to see how Walt Jr. breaks bad.

The Breaking Bad Insider podcast is pretty weak unfortunately. It's a giggle fest with very little analysis about the characters.

Bierboy
08-02-2011, 01:05 AM
...I read somewhere that (huge spoiler if it actually comes true which I doubt)...

Mike killed Gus in a scene we'll see later. Backed up with Mike telling Walt he won't talk to Gus again and the blood on his shirt in episode 2. There clearly is something up with Mike we don't know about because he keeps coughing. Looking forward to see how Walt Jr. breaks bad.

That's not as outlandish as it may first seem. We haven't heard Gus's voice for awhile now, nor have we seen him....

cheesesteak
08-02-2011, 08:12 AM
At least it looks like Hank might stop being a black hole of a tv character soon. He'll probably still be a jerk to Marie but at least he might get interesting.

Walt is such an idiot. Everything would be ok if he just did his job.

I bet Saul's bodyguard blew Walt's bathroom up.

john4200
08-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Huh? You mean just cook meth? I seriously doubt everything would be okay for long.

robojerk
08-02-2011, 11:56 AM

The show would be a lot more boring if all Walt and Jesse did was punch a time card, cook meth, punch out, then grab a couple of beers after a long hard days work.

Pretty much if you removed the fact he was cooking meth, that could be anyone's day.

Mr Flippant
08-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Personally I think the show jumped the fly last year, still love it though.

You might try Glee I hear it is much happier.

scandia101
08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Stop with the spoilers already.
So far they have been minor (but that's just a guess), except for the bathroom thing, but watch the spoilers, this thread isn't labeled as episode specific.

NatasNJ
08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
So far they have been minor (but that's just a guess), except for the bathroom thing, but watch the spoilers, this thread isn't labeled as episode specific.

So we shouldn't mention how Jesse was shot in the face and is on his deathbed?

john4200
08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
So we shouldn't mention how Jesse was shot in the face and is on his deathbed?

I was going to ask "what spoilers" but then you had to go and do that. I suppose we also shouldn't mention Gus coming to Jesse's party and puking all over the place.

robojerk
08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I was going to ask "what spoilers" but then you had to go and do that. I suppose we also shouldn't mention Gus coming to Jesse's party and puking all over the place.

Who knew Gus was the man at breaking a pinata blind folded. Really cool of Jesse to fill that thing with $100 bills.

BK89
08-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I dont understand why Skylar thinks it matters that Walt bought a $300 bottle of champagne. Aren't they paying 10s of thousands of dollars on Hank's medical bills?

robojerk
08-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I dont understand why Skylar thinks it matters that Walt bought a $300 bottle of champagne. Aren't they paying 10s of thousands of dollars on Hank's medical bills?

I think Skylar realizes how much they can lose, especially now since she's on board with all of this. Until all the money is clean, and they have acceptable stories, she doesn't want to leave anything to chance. They only things they're spending money on at the moment is Hank's bill's (big risk already), Walter's new home (I think he bought it, & is not renting), and the house mortgage.
It looks like next week they tell Hank they're paying for his bills and they need to make it convincing. so Walter and Skylar actually come up with a gambling system since that is what they told Hank's wife.

Bierboy
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Walter's purchase of a $300 bottle of bubbly is a much more public thing than privately paying for someone's hospital bills...

john4200
08-02-2011, 06:11 PM

A better question is why Skylar is worrying about $300 cach purchases when she made the bonehead move of

running a con on someone who already hates Walt's guts and is almost certain to figure out he was conned when she could have just gone with the nail salon or another car wash.

The answer is that Skylar is a fool. Almost everyone on this show has been behaving foolishly this season.

DanB
08-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Walter's purchase of a $300 bottle of bubbly is a much more public thing than privately paying for someone's hospital bills...

seemed like just a waste of dialog really. I doubt his local bottle shop carries a bottle of Pol Roger. I have to drive about 20 miles just for a bottle of Dom. Doubt anyone would know me (or Walt) at the bottle shop.

marksman
08-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I haven't seen the most recent episode but I thought the series premiere was REALLY GOOD.

As I am want to do, I would mention that I just watched the entire series in the couple weeks leading up to the start of this season so the whole show is very fresh in my mind.

DevdogAZ
08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
You're going to be really surprised (and laugh) when you actually watch that episode and see what was actually being referred to.
Nobody but Marie knows about that, and she thinks Walt got the money from gambling. Everyone else thinks Walt is a poor school teacher who just blew his life savings getting treated for cancer.

cheesesteak
08-03-2011, 09:57 AM
You consider a fat dude taking a dump in Walt's bathroom a spoiler? Sheesh. Why are you even in this thread if you're so afraid of spoilers? The thread was created August 1. It's about Breaking Bad jumping the shark. There's going to be info in here about why someone thought the show has gone down hill. Yes, there probably should have been a spoiler tag in the title but if you're not caught up, then you should have been able to figure out that you shouldn't click that link.

gchance
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Why are you even in this thread if you're so afraid of spoilers? The thread was created August 1.

You have over 17k posts and should know how TCF operates. *spoilers* isn't in the thread title, but for some reason this thread's now turned into an Entire Season thread. Is there even an episodic thread yet for the latest episode? (I didn't see one)

Greg

BK89
08-03-2011, 01:02 PM

Really? Buying a single bottle for $300 is more public than paying a DEA agents $100,000 hospital and rehab bills in cash? Um, OK. I dont care what kind of gambling cover story they came up with, that seems way more risky then buying a bottle.

Besides, Skylar is the one who offered to pay the medical bills in the first place. And now she has the nerve to lecture Walt, oh hell no!!

markymark_ctown
08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

and how will they account for the $800K they came up with for the car wash? $300 is nothing...

Bierboy
08-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Really? Buying a single bottle for $300 is more public than paying a DEA agents $100,000 hospital and rehab bills in cash?...

Yep...specially when the purchase probably on a security tape. His payments for health care would certainly be confidential (that's the law).

BK89
08-03-2011, 06:17 PM
and how will they account for the $800K they came up with for the car wash? $300 is nothing...

I assume they will not buy the car wash in cash - will probably take out a small business loan.

BK89
08-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Yep...specially when the purchase probably on a security tape. His payments for health care would certainly be confidential (that's the law).

OK, I have never paid for health care in cash so I will take your word for it. :)

DanB
08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I assume they will not buy the car wash in cash - will probably take out a small business loan.

hmm, he has no job, family income is minimal, supposedly living off of unemployment, had cancer, no experience managing a business that size. Yeah, if the small business agency is run like the housing lending market I'm sure he'll qualify ;)

It's only a TV show, it's only a TV show....... :)

john4200
08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
hmm, he has no job, family income is minimal, supposedly living off of unemployment, had cancer, no experience managing a business that size. Yeah, if the small business agency is run like the housing lending market I'm sure he'll qualify ;)

And if the bank does any due diligence on the car wash, they will find that it is currently shut down. If they ask the owner why it is shut down, what will he say?

aadam101
08-03-2011, 08:37 PM

I'm guessing someone is gonna get into some IRS trouble at some point.

CraigK
08-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm guessing someone is gonna get into some IRS trouble at some point.

But that won't happen until season six.

Bierboy
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
But that won't happen until season six.

Not gonna be a season 6....next season (5) is the final one.

gchance
08-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Have they said this?

EDIT: Nevermind. http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/breaking-bad-eying-two-season-final-run/

Greg

CraigK
08-04-2011, 12:18 PM

I know. :)

My way of saying the writers wouldn't want IRS issues to get in the way of the plot.