07-15-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.tvline.com/2011/07/tnt-cancels-men-of-a-certain-age/

:(

MNoelH
07-15-2011, 04:49 PM
This is sad news.

HomieG
07-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Figures, amateurs at Time Warner/Turner Broadcasting trying to make real business decisions.

theharleyman
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM
:mad:

harrinpj
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
This makes me so upset. I haven't even watched the second season yet. I assume that it's worth watching right?

betts4
07-15-2011, 05:40 PM
This is just stupid news. Those idiots. It's a great show and worth the time and effort. Bleh on tnt.

Hank
07-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Maybe some other network will pick it up. All these great programs always get cancelled after one or two seasons:

Sports Night
Freaks and Geeks
Hello, Larry ;)

I know of others, I just can't recall them all now.

SorenTodd
07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh well, at least I can say I was loyal to every episode.

Johncv
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
This makes me so upset. I haven't even watched the second season yet. I assume that it's worth watching right?

YES!

Ment
07-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Fark!! Darn those Scarpullas..

sushikitten
07-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Of course. Because we just started Season One last week and are about 5 eps in.

Ugh.

Mikeyis4dcats
07-15-2011, 11:46 PM
wtf! we loved this show.

marksman
07-16-2011, 02:25 AM
TNT has nobody to blame for this but themselves.

Excellently written, very unique show, they are solely to blame for not finding an audience for this show. Shame on them for being so incompetent.

That is what drives me nuts about TV execs, they reward and punish themselves back asswards.

Someone should be fired for not making this show successful. Instead someone will get fired down the line for having 5 shows not succeed, some of which should not have been on the air in the first place.

It is like the people who run tv networks can not even properly assess what a good show is and what a good show isn't. If you are a tv executive and can't sell a show you know is good, what are you doing?

dbranco
07-16-2011, 06:16 AM
BUMMER!!!!

Yes, definitely worth watching.

uncdrew
07-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Crap. Loved that show. :(

I think I need to move to a smarter country.

Bob Coxner
07-16-2011, 08:22 AM
I thought this was basic cable, where you give a show time to develop an audience.

Burn In Hell TNT!

Maybe DirecTV will step up, the way they did for Friday Night Lights. This would be a good show for their Audience Network (aka The 101).

SorenTodd
07-16-2011, 12:24 PM
TNT has nobody to blame for this but themselves.

Exactly. If they had scheduled the show better, then maybe more people would have tuned in. I had to use Futon Critic to find out when the 2nd half of the 2nd season would start up again (because I never once saw a promo).

rifleman69
07-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Meanwhile, Chuck producers are licking their chops into finally bringing that show to a complete and final close at the end of this year.

PacMan3000
07-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I absolutely love this show, but let's be real guys. This isn't an easy sell of a show to audiences. I can't think of another show like it.

Not a whole lot "happens" every week. And the show's leads are middle-aged men who, for all intents and purposes, just sit around talking and eating for 45 mins each episode.

I'm obviously generalizing, but I'm just trying to say that, for the average Joe who sees a commercial for MoaCA, this might be the conclusion they come to.

I'm hoping this gets picked up by another network.

jradosh
07-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Crap :mad:

Hopefully another network will pick it up.

scooterboy
07-16-2011, 06:37 PM
That just plain sucks.

Bierboy
07-16-2011, 06:42 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/Bierboy/Emoticons/Crying.gif

Hank
07-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Reminds me of a line from one of the last shows of Sports Night, after they already knew the show was canceled by ABC: Anyone that can't make money off of Sports Night shouldn't be in the money making business.

LoadStar
07-16-2011, 11:16 PM
I absolutely love this show, but let's be real guys. This isn't an easy sell of a show to audiences. I can't think of another show like it.

Not a whole lot "happens" every week. And the show's leads are middle-aged men who, for all intents and purposes, just sit around talking and eating for 45 mins each episode.

I'm obviously generalizing, but I'm just trying to say that, for the average Joe who sees a commercial for MoaCA, this might be the conclusion they come to.
This.

I'm hoping this gets picked up by another network.
It almost certainly won't be.

I don't blame anyone for this... it's just not a show that managed to attract an audience. It happens from time to time, even to shows that are brilliant.

MikeMar
07-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow didn't know there was ANY love for this show. Every promo looked horrible, and I dislike Ray Ramano so was avoiding it anyways.

MikeAndrews
07-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Dumb, dumb, dumb. I know the networks want shows like the endless reality shows that cost nothing to make. Unless the stars were getting huge checks, Men of Certain Age had to cost less to produce than a Leverage, Burn Notice, or Breaking Bad.

My guess is they were shocked and amazed that a show about 40+ men didn't draw "the coveted 25-49 demographic," much less when the nature of it was you had to tune in to the ongoing story rather than get another run. shoot, jump, explode episode.

Our only hope is for HBO to pick such shows as this just to have a quality showpiece, like they're doing with Treme.

jilter
07-18-2011, 06:27 AM
This is terrible.
Television is doomed if a quality show such as this can not find an audience to sustain it.
I think there is just too much saturation. Too many choices for any one show to have a consistently large audience.

We will be stuck with nothing but reality t.v. soon.

I hope there is some chance for this show to find a new home somewhere.
It is excellent, excellent.

eta:
Can we write anywhere to share our anger over this?

Steveknj
07-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Dumb, dumb, dumb. I know the networks want shows like the endless reality shows that cost nothing to make Unless the stars were getting huge checks, Men of Certain Age had to cost less to produce than a Leverage, Burn Notice, or Breaking Bad.

My guess is they were shocked and amazed that a show about 40+ men didn't draw "the coveted 25-49 demographic," much less when the nature of it was you had to tune in to ongoing story rather than get another run. shoot, jump, explode episode.

Our only hope is for HBO to pick such shows as this just to have a quality showpiece, like they're doing with Treme.

THIS. I don't know what they were expecting. This isn't a show that is going to get a big audience to begin with, and it certainly isn't one aimed at the "coveted" demo. I wonder what it's ratings were among 45 and up men? That's really what the demo was for this show. I don't think anyone under 40 especially can relate to these characters. As someone in what SHOULD have been the intended demo, I certainly DID relate to the characters. I mean, do under 40s want to watch a show about older men going through midlife crisis with all the health and emotional problems associated with it? I certainly didn't when I was in my 20s and 30s.

BIH TNT. Maybe what us older men need is a network like Lifetime only for men :) Call it OFC (Old Fogey Channel). Oh wait, maybe that's what CBS is :)

mgrady
07-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Perhaps they just reached that 'certain age', and things fell apart?

Frylock
07-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I think the issue was the incredibly short seasons. 6 episodes makes it pretty tough to find an audience as well.

And not to stir the pot, but I am sorry, but Sports Night was not that funny! This show is MILES ahead of Sports Night. I am more shocked Sports Night lasted as long as it did.

Steveknj
07-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I think the issue was the incredibly short seasons. 6 episodes makes it pretty tough to find an audience as well.

And not to stir the pot, but I am sorry, but Sports Night was not that funny! This show is MILES ahead of Sports Night. I am more shocked Sports Night lasted as long as it did.

I liked Sports Night, but I think it was probably about 5 years ahead of it's time. But this is a completely different type of show than Sports Night, so you really can't compare them. I think SN holds up well against Arrested Development or Community or 30 Rock, which are shows more in the same vein. None of these are highly successful ratings wise, but have a core audience that makes the show somewhat sustainable for awhile (although with the latter two, if those shows weren't on NBC, they would probably have been canceled).

As for Men...I think it's more comparable to something like Parenthood.

d-dub
07-18-2011, 10:52 AM
This is terrible.
Television is doomed if a quality show such as this can not find an audience to sustain it.
I think there is just too much saturation. Too many choices for any one show to have a consistently large audience.

We will be stuck with nothing but reality t.v. soon.

I hope there is some chance for this show to find a new home somewhere.
It is excellent, excellent.

eta:
Can we write anywhere to share our anger over this?

While I'm disappointed too, this is hardly the first quality show that's ever been canceled. There are plenty of shows with excellent writing and acting, and compelling stories that are canceled every year. Sometimes it's simply a matter of timing, either in scheduling, or just in general. Not every great show will generate high enough ratings to survive.

jilter
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
This is a really good point.
A show needs time to find its audience.
Going off and on again is a bad strategy.
They would be better off putting a bunch in a can and airing them all at once.

Hank
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I think I'm going to write HBO and tell them to consider picking this up.. I would pay for a new HBO sub if they did.

Steveknj
07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
So what can we send to save the show? Chevy keychains? Titlest golf balls?

Frylock
07-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I liked Sports Night, but I think it was probably about 5 years ahead of it's time. But this is a completely different type of show than Sports Night, so you really can't compare them. I think SN holds up well against Arrested Development or Community or 30 Rock, which are shows more in the same vein. None of these are highly successful ratings wise, but have a core audience that makes the show somewhat sustainable for awhile (although with the latter two, if those shows weren't on NBC, they would probably have been canceled).

I would have to agree that I would lump Sports Night in with Arrested Development and maybe 30 Rock, though 30 Rock seems to pull mainstream enough to keep the general population interested.

I agree that this show did not fit into this category.

DevdogAZ
07-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Figures, amateurs at Time Warner/Turner Broadcasting trying to make real business decisions.
TNT actually did make a real business decision. They liked the show but they just couldn't justify keeping it on due to the fact that after two full seasons, it just wasn't pulling any viewers.
I thought this was basic cable, where you give a show time to develop an audience.

Burn In Hell TNT!
They did give the show time to develop an audience. How much longer than two seasons do you expect them to air a show that was getting ratings in the 0.4 range for adults 18-49? That's really bad for an original show on one of the most prominent basic cable networks.
Maybe DirecTV will step up, the way they did for Friday Night Lights. This would be a good show for their Audience Network (aka The 101).
DirecTV has already stated that Friday Night Lights and Damages were the end of their experiment into saving shows that other networks were getting rid of.

DevdogAZ
07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
There were 10 episodes in S1 and 12 episodes in S2. The problem was that TNT broke up the airing of S2 into two parts. The first six were aired last Dec/Jan and the second six were aired this summer. The ratings for the second half of S2 were worse than the previously aired eps. That's not a trend that usually gets shows renewed.

EvilMidniteBombr
07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm going to miss this show. I really liked it.

Scott Bakula isn't having much luck lately, eh? Star Trek and Quantum Leap being his longest paying gigs. (according to IMDB) And a lot of people pooped on Enterprise.

d-dub
07-18-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm going to miss this show. I really liked it.

Scott Bakula isn't having much luck lately, eh? Star Trek and Quantum Leap being his longest paying gigs. (according to IMDB) And a lot of people pooped on Enterprise.

22 episodes is probably better than the average for TV shows.

Steveknj
07-19-2011, 07:05 AM
They did give the show time to develop an audience. How much longer than two seasons do you expect them to air a show that was getting ratings in the 0.4 range for adults 18-49? That's really bad for an original show on one of the most prominent basic cable networks.

This is the thing that bothers me. Why would ANYONE in the 18-49 range...especially the lower half of that...be at all interested in this show in the first place? This show was clearly aimed at over 40s, and later 40s to be more specific. Surely TNT had to realize that? If they expected ratings in the "core" demos for this show, they are damn fools. It's not like any of the lead actors has ANY appeal to the younger demos. My son, who generally watches most things with me, had NO interest in this show. He's in his 20s. He called it "That Old Fogey show with Raymond in it". OTOH, my wife and I loved it...we are in our very early 50s.

Steveknj
07-19-2011, 07:08 AM

Spoiler about another series Scott Bakula has been on recently:

I wonder if they resurrect Stephen Bartowski on Chuck now that Scott has no obligation to this show any longer?

betts4
07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Spoiler about another series Scott Bakula has been on recently:

I wonder if they resurrect Stephen Bartowski on Chuck now that Scott has no obligation to this show any longer?

That would be fun!

I think TNT really dropped the ball here. They were doing some groundbreaking with aiming towards the older viewers and it was working, but they judged it by younger viewer numbers. Bad move.

DeDondeEs
07-19-2011, 08:58 AM
They just need to turn it into a reality show with celebrity judges. They can act out the show on stage then three celebrity judges sitting on a platform built in the middle of the audience can critique the life choices the three guys have made. Then the show will be a hit... :rolleyes:

billboard_NE
07-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Or add CSI in front of the title.

CSI Men of a Certain Age

DevdogAZ
07-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I think TNT really dropped the ball here. They were doing some groundbreaking with aiming towards the older viewers and it was working, but they judged it by younger viewer numbers. Bad move.
TNT doesn't get to change the way the business of TV works. Advertisers pay for 18-49. If the show wasn't attracting enough viewers in that range, TNT couldn't sell enough advertising during the show to make it worthwhile. As long as a show like this runs on ad-supported TV, it's going to be in trouble. The only chance a show like this ha was on premium cable, and it probably wasn't edgy enough for that.

Steveknj
07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
TNT doesn't get to change the way the business of TV works. Advertisers pay for 18-49. If the show wasn't attracting enough viewers in that range, TNT couldn't sell enough advertising during the show to make it worthwhile. As long as a show like this runs on ad-supported TV, it's going to be in trouble. The only chance a show like this ha was on premium cable, and it probably wasn't edgy enough for that.

Why would ANY advertiser who is targeting that demo actually BUY ad time for this show. In the same way that the ads on 60 Minutes skew toward older demos, those are the same advertisers they should be selling this show to. That's why, to me, trying to cancel THIS show based on poor ratings in the primary demo is stupid. If you are aiming for that demo, then this show should have never seen the light of day, so it was a bad move by TNT in the first place and an even stupider move to have canceled this show based on THAT criteria. And if they sold ad time to advertisers based on the prospect of selling to the younger demo, then their ad people should be fired.

WhiskeyTango
07-19-2011, 09:55 AM
This is the thing that bothers me. Why would ANYONE in the 18-49 range...especially the lower half of that...be at all interested in this show in the first place? This show was clearly aimed at over 40s, and later 40s to be more specific. Surely TNT had to realize that? If they expected ratings in the "core" demos for this show, they are damn fools. It's not like any of the lead actors has ANY appeal to the younger demos. My son, who generally watches most things with me, had NO interest in this show. He's in his 20s. He called it "That Old Fogey show with Raymond in it". OTOH, my wife and I loved it...we are in our very early 50s.

From TVBTN:
While TNT focuses primarily on adults 25-54, even there it was low-rated for an original show with several of TNTís syndicated repeats performed about as well.

Dawghows
07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Why would ANY advertiser who is targeting that demo actually BUY ad time for this show. In the same way that the ads on 60 Minutes skew toward older demos, those are the same advertisers they should be selling this show to....Cue commercial spot behind Dr. Johnny Fever:
"Have you ever asked yourself the question, 'What happens when I can no longer feed myself?'"

Frylock
07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
There were 10 episodes in S1 and 12 episodes in S2. The problem was that TNT broke up the airing of S2 into two parts. The first six were aired last Dec/Jan and the second six were aired this summer. The ratings for the second half of S2 were worse than the previously aired eps. That's not a trend that usually gets shows renewed.

That definitely didn't help.Running 6 episodes and taking massive breaks makes it hard to build an audience.

Showtime should just cancel Weeds and air this show instead. :)

Steveknj
07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
From TVBTN:

Then that's completely different. That wasn't brought out in the article, as they only mentioned their pathetic rating among 18-49...not the demographic for this show.

Actually, this show really skews 40 and up, even 25-40 year old probably aren't watching. It's a tough demo to sell to, but, you can't expect a drama about the lives of average almost 50 year old men to sell to a younger demo.

DevdogAZ
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Why would ANY advertiser who is targeting that demo actually BUY ad time for this show. In the same way that the ads on 60 Minutes skew toward older demos, those are the same advertisers they should be selling this show to. That's why, to me, trying to cancel THIS show based on poor ratings in the primary demo is stupid. If you are aiming for that demo, then this show should have never seen the light of day, so it was a bad move by TNT in the first place and an even stupider move to have canceled this show based on THAT criteria. And if they sold ad time to advertisers based on the prospect of selling to the younger demo, then their ad people should be fired.
The problem is that a network's ad sales team is geared toward selling packages to advertisers. They're not usually selling ad time in individual shows. They can't afford to have their sales force out there looking for specific advertisers for Show A and a different set of advertisers for Show B, etc. I think the network miscalculated when they greenlit this show, thinking that Ray Romano would be a bigger draw because of his sitcom, that Scott Bakula would bring his sci-fi cult fans, and that Andre Braugher's excellent acting would bring in viewers as well. They simply didn't count on the fact that not many people look to TNT for original programming, that these three actors don't have the draw that they expected, and that the subject matter would probably not be appealing to the masses.

Hank
07-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd like to see an HBO version of this show. Specifically, Dory.

:O

JLucPicard
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I turned 50 in April, and I forced myself to watch nearly all of the first season. I was an Andre B fan, and liked Bakula in Enterprise (the only thing I've really seen him in - sadly, I never did watch Quantum Leap).

This show, however, bored me to tears.

DeDondeEs
07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
When I told my wife that this show got cancelled, she cheered. She said it was a depressing old man show and never liked it. Apparently this was the prevailing opinion on the show. I liked it though...

MikeAndrews
07-19-2011, 07:11 PM
We'll just have to post our own poll on how much weight you lose after peeing.

(Which was Ray Romano's premise that led to the creation of the show.)

KenDC
07-20-2011, 12:31 PM
If you're on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bring-Back-Men-of-a-Certain-Age/139053032842552

I like the idea of "Save Thoreau Chevrolet".
I hope it comes back.

Hank
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Interesting... "Manfro" is played by Jon Manfrellotti.

vman41
07-20-2011, 03:49 PM
CSI and NCIS stay on the air even though noone under 50 watches them.

DevdogAZ
07-20-2011, 08:18 PM
CSI and NCIS stay on the air even though noone under 50 watches them.

Not true at all. NCIS is one of the highest-rated scripted shows on broadcast TV with adults 18-49 (#4 last season among scripted shows). CSI has slipped a little over the last few years, but its ratings are still very respectable (#20).

bud8man
07-20-2011, 08:54 PM
What? But does Manfro make up with Joe...does Joe become a full time bookie...and what about his golf game...and will the dealership be sold...or not...oh the agony

EvilMidniteBombr
07-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I turned 50 in April, and I forced myself to watch nearly all of the first season. I was an Andre B fan, and liked Bakula in Enterprise (the only thing I've really seen him in - sadly, I never did watch Quantum Leap).

This show, however, bored me to tears.
I was lukewarm on Enterprise but loved Bakula in Quantum Leap. As far as I know, the entire QL series is available for streaming on Netflix if you're interested in checking it out.

LoadStar
07-20-2011, 10:19 PM
I was lukewarm on Enterprise but loved Bakula in Quantum Leap. As far as I know, the entire QL series is available for streaming on Netflix if you're interested in checking it out.

And the nice part about QL being a time travel series - it stands up well. It doesn't look dated. (Or, probably more accurately, it looks appropriately dated. :))

mbhuff
07-21-2011, 09:16 AM
I really tried to like this show, but since I'm of a ...certain age, it hit too close to home for me to watch.

EvilMidniteBombr
07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
And the nice part about QL being a time travel series - it stands up well. It doesn't look dated. (Or, probably more accurately, it looks appropriately dated. :))

Yes! For the most part there are no big special effects. That helps the show stand up through the years, IMO. Aside from Al coming and going, people passing through him and Sam leaping, what other effects are there? Everything else takes place in the pas. That is all done with sets and good props.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread.

gchance
07-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Interesting... "Manfro" is played by Jon Manfrellotti.

They had him in mind when they originally wrote the character, named the character after the actor, then thought OH CRAP, what if TNT doesn't want him? I read an interview with Ray Romano about it just before this last batch premiered, but can't find it now for some reason.

Greg

Mikeyis4dcats
07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
this 35 year old and his 33 year old wife loved this show.