View Full Version : The Five on Fox news

sieglinde
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
The host is Eric Bowling - a conservative who was on Fox Business
Dana Perino - Former Press Secretary for GW Bush
Andrea Tantaros - who seems to be a conservative commentator for Fox News
Greg Gutfield - who self-identifies as a Libertarian
Bob Beckel who worked for Carter and some other Democrats

Not too fair and balanced but then again it is a talking head opinion show. It seems a lot like the McLaughlin group etc. with a bunch of people talking over each other. Some are fairer than others, some are very partisan.

Steveknj
07-12-2011, 09:28 AM
The host is Eric Bowling - a conservative who was on Fox Business
Dana Perino - Former Press Secretary for GW Bush
Andrea Tantaros - who seems to be a conservative commentator for Fox News
Greg Gutfield - who self-identifies as a Libertarian
Bob Beckel who worked for Carter and some other Democrats

Not too fair and balanced but then again it is a talking head opinion show. It seems a lot like the McLaughlin group etc. with a bunch of people talking over each other. Some are fairer than others, some are very partisan.

I haven't watched this, but, this seems typical of FNC......4 conservatives (although some Libertarians prefer not consider themselves that..) vs. one Democratic (possibly liberal) who I am sure they will gang up on and use as their foil. And this way FNC can say...see? We have a liberal on the network. Do they have ONE liberal with their own show on FNC like MSNBC has with the conservative Scarborough in the mornings?

philw1776
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Does this mean that Gutfield won't be on Red Eye?

sieglinde
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Don't know about Red Eye.

MSNBC has Steele on and don't use him as a foil but as the voice of the GOP. Is he a foil, sure, they need someone to answer questions about what is going on with 2012. They usually get Congressmembers for talking about the debt negotiations etc.

ncsercs
07-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Uh - Seen the cast of The View lately?

4 liberals ganging up on a conservative?

That's real fair and balanced..... :rolleyes:

FYI: Gutfeld is still doing Red Eye for the time being.

Steveknj
07-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Uh - Seen the cast of The View lately?

4 liberals ganging up on a conservative?

That's real fair and balanced..... :rolleyes:

FYI: Gutfeld is still doing Red Eye for the time being.

Here's the difference. The View never outright SAYS they are fair and balanced as the slogan of their show. It's one thing to skew in one direction and not really hide that's what you are doing. It's another thing to LIE about what you are, such as Fox. And that's what always p*sses me off about Fox. A better slogan for them would be "FNC, News from the RIGHT point of view. At least that play on words says what they are.

Amnesia
07-18-2011, 09:08 AM
4 conservatives (although some Libertarians prefer not consider themselves that..) You seem to be implying that you know better---that Libertarians really are conservatives, no matter what we say. But I'm sure you couldn't mean that, right?

Traditionally, Libertarians are more fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Does that make sense to you? Yes, if you hear a Libertarian talk about taxes or increasing public spending, he might sound like a conservative. But then get him talking about civil liberties or legalizing drugs or gay marriage and you'll get a different opinion.

Steveknj
07-18-2011, 09:21 AM
You seem to be implying that you know better---that Libertarians really are conservatives, no matter what we say. But I'm sure you couldn't mean that, right?

Traditionally, Libertarians are more fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Does that make sense to you? Yes, if you hear a Libertarian talk about taxes or increasing public spending, he might sound like a conservative. But then get him talking about civil liberties or legalizing drugs or gay marriage and you'll get a different opinion.

No, I definitely get that, which is why I said that many Libertarians don't want to be lumped in with Conservatives, in the traditional sense (both fiscally and financially conservative, like someone such as Michelle Bachmann), but the crux of it is they are targeting the same audience on Fox. I don't see Ron losing much support from Conservatives despite some liberal leaning social issues (legalizing pot for example) The more important conservative agenda is really smaller government and fiscal conservatism. The other stuff is strictly political...to get the "true believers" to vote for them.

sieglinde
07-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I find I can enjoy listening to Libertarians and that Conservatives really irritate me. I think there is an authoritarian component in Conservatives despite their call for smaller government, they are more willing to have government interfere in their pet causes. Liberatarians want the government to stay out of most things not just selected things.

I have watched the View maybe once in my life because I consider it a talk show for housewives. I assumed it was more interested in entertainment topics with politics coming up more rdandomly. I watch the political shows because I am somehwhat wonky.
The McLaughlin Group is interesting. There seems to be a mix of conservatives and liberals and people I cannot place (Libertarians?) Not necessarily balanced but most of the time there is at least two conservatives. I cannot place McLaughlin's politics. I thought he was a Republican for years but now I am convenced he is not or is an independent who votes GOP at times and Democrat at other times.