PDA

View Full Version : So You Think You Can Dance "Top 20 results show Take 2" 6/23/2011 *spoilers*

Kamakzie
06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Time for 4 contestants to go home tonight.

Top 20 performance

Missy and Wadi are in the bottom 3.
Caitlynn and Mitchell are safe.
Sasha and Alexander are safe.

Miranda and Robert are safe.
Melanie and Marko are also safe.
Jordan and Tadd are safe.
Iveta and Nick are in the bottom 3.

Ashley and Chris are safe.
Ryan and Ricky are in the bottom 3.
Clarice and Jess are safe.

Rage crew performs.

Solos:

Wadi - Started out slow but got it going.
Missy - It was alright.
Nick - Not a big fan of tap. I guess he did okay??
Iveta - I liked it. I think I'd keep her if I were the judges.
Ricky - Full of jumps and lots of stuff.
Ryan - Pretty good.

I think I'd keep Iveta and Ricky or Wadi.

Performance by LMFAO

Results time:

Judges pick Ryan to stay.
So Iveta and Missy are going home.

Judges pick Ricky to stay.
Wadi and Nick are leaving.

Still think I would've picked Iveta to stay but luckily I'm not one of the judges.

Cearbhaill
06-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh, boo hiss to Nick leaving.
I'm annoyed.

Cainebj
06-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Oh, boo hiss to Nick leaving.
I'm annoyed.

ME TOO!!!
Seriously, I thought he was going to win it this season.

:down::down::down::down::down::down::down::down:

murgatroyd
06-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Boo hiss to Iveta getting booted so soon.

Of all three of those girls, I liked Ryan the least. I just don't get what the judges see in her.

I like Wadi and Nick, but agree with the judges that Ricky did the best solo.

If they kept Ryan simply because they kept Ricky, and they didn''t want to break up the couple, that sucks.

Meanwhile we're still stuck with Alexander. Bleah.

Cainebj
06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I remain annoyed this morning -

mostly because if they had eliminated a couple last week Iveta and Nick would probably still be on the show.

Cearbhaill
06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
This is exactly why they should never mess with eliminations.
I am more annoyed this morning than I was last night.
I don’t like to get invested in any reality show contestant, much less do so this early in the game, but damn this stings.

cl8855
06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
This is exactly why they should never mess with eliminations.
I am more annoyed this morning than I was last night.
I donít like to get invested in any reality show contestant, much less do so this early in the game, but damn this stings.

yep, they really hurt themselves only being able to "save" 1 boy/girl, knowing that america is all over the map at this stage in voting.

I would have loved to see Nick/Wadi a little while longer, but Ricky was fabulous in his solo. none of the girls were great, but Iveta would have stayed a while in other circumstances.

need to get rid of Alex next

Cearbhaill
06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I won't argue that Ricky wasn't fabulous- he was.
But the cast is now so contemporary heavy that there is hardly any diversity left aside from the B-boys and Jess.
Iveta and Nick were important in keeping viewers like me interested in watching.
No wonder more ballroom and tapper people don't audition. There's no point.

Nevermind the grinning like a fool Ryan.
Ugh.
This season had such promise and is now 90% a giant sucking sound.

That Don Guy
06-24-2011, 10:48 AM
yep, they really hurt themselves only being able to "save" 1 boy/girl, knowing that america is all over the map at this stage in voting.
Don't confuse SYTYCD with Idol. Unless they actually said "we have one save this season and we're going to use it now" last week, Nigel can pretty much change the rules as they go along. If they wanted to say, "We've decided to cut only one couple this week, and next week we'll have 18," they probably could have.

The problem is, if they didn't cut two couples this week, then everybody starts wondering when they will "get back on track" (or, alternatively, wonder if they would have a six-person final this year). The show can probably get away with another save later in the season if necessary.

Question: what happens now to Iveta? Do they bring her back for the tour so she and Nick can perform together (they have put non-top 10 dancers on the tour for "specialty" positions), does she end up as a professional on DWTS, or something else?

murgatroyd
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Good point about the diversity of the cast (and now lack of same).

I think the show is broken, and I don't know how to fix it. Nigel says with each passing season that the dancers are getting better and better, yet with each season the show bores me more and more. What is going wrong?

Part of it is the natural progression that happens when you have a series anything. Number 1 makes you all excited because the thing is fresh and new. Refinements are made and thus number 2 is better. Ditto for number 3, and then after that it's a crapshoot.

A friend of mine said that in her opinion the natural life of a TV show is three seasons; after that, the producers have learned what makes the show go, and they've done everything they know how to do, and so then they start breaking everything they've built, because they have nowhere else to go. We've certainly seen that here with the introduction of the new sets and the experiments with the All-Stars and now the season of "the wrong people ended up in the bottom so we aren't going to eliminate anyone this week" start to the season.

I'm biased about Iveta, obviously. I wanted her to make it to the top 10, or at least close enough that she could be the alternate, so she could make it on the tour and dance with Russell Ferguson again. I don't know if she could have made it, but I wanted to see her try. Phooey.

I totally agree the show is too contemporary-heavy. I wish we could get more diversity in choreographers. They keep nattering away about how the choreography they are showing us is too hard, but there are all sorts of dance we aren't seeing because there's no way a dancer could pick it up in the time frame we're given on the show.
Like stuff out of ballroom's cabaret division, where it would be too dangerous to attempt some of those lifts with brand-new couples and male dancers not used to lifting. So if you can't ask the contestants to do it, at least throw us a bone and have some guest stars on the show to show us the good stuff.

Give us something besides endless angsty contemporary routines with people running around on stage barefoot in rags or pajamas.

murgatroyd
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Question: what happens now to Iveta? Do they bring her back for the tour so she and Nick can perform together (they have put non-top 10 dancers on the tour for "specialty" positions), does she end up as a professional on DWTS, or something else?

Many of the pros on DwtS have their own dance studios. SYTYCD and DwtS are both great ways for ballroom dancers to transition from the pro ballroom ranks to teaching because it gives them wider exposure. Given how fast Iveta whipped Russell into shape a couple of seasons ago, I don't think she'll lack for students.

SYTYCD can do anything it wants, including folding her into their stable of ballroom experts, starting next season. The real question is what Iveta wants to do.

In an alternate universe where Russell Ferguson didn't make the cut to the top 20 on SYTYCD, I'm sure Iveta and Russell are out there in the ballroom world, tearing up the floor in the Pro-Am competitions. I wish I could be a spectator in that world.

murgatroyd
06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I remain annoyed this morning -

mostly because if they had eliminated a couple last week Iveta and Nick would probably still be on the show.

Would they? I'd like to hear your reasoning on this. I suspect not, because the Great Hordes of the American Voting Public doesn't have the taste that we TCF0ers do. ;)

I'm starting to wonder if the Bollywood numbers will now be the Kiss of Death dance on the show. The first couple of Bollywood numbers on the show were so good, they set the bar really, really high for the dancers who have to follow them. If Nakul is going to be throwing out harder choreography each season (as all the choreographers say they want to do), then the chance the performance levels will equal the routines in the early seasons are small. So by design all the Bollywood numbers from now on are going to seem mediocre.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Cearbhaill
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Would they? I'd like to hear your reasoning on this. I suspect not, because the Great Hordes of the American Voting Public doesn't have the taste that we TCF0ers do. ;)
If I am not mistaken, none of the couples in the bottom three last week were there this week.
Their fans had been galvanized into action at the very hint of their being eliminated. Those people got worked up while fans of the others may have gotten lazy. There is always a rebound vote the week following a bottom three appearance in all voting shows.

It just upset the natural order of things- not that such a thing truly exists under the auspices of Nigel's whims, but still.
It's always been a personality thing, not a dance thing, so I have to wonder what the quality of that Bollywood number had to do with it.

jlb
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree Iveta left too soon, but she would not have won. Not to worry.....I am sure she is off to DWTS. She will be perfect for it.

Cainebj
06-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Their fans had been galvanized into action at the very hint of their being eliminated. Those people got worked up while fans of the others may have gotten lazy.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Kamakzie
06-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I agree Iveta left too soon, but she would not have won. Not to worry.....I am sure she is off to DWTS. She will be perfect for it.

I kind of wonder if the Judges thought she was set with her style so that's why they let her go.