PDA

View Full Version : Syfy in talks to bring back "The Event" as a mini-series...

mrdazzo7
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.tvline.com/2011/06/scoop-nbcs-the-event-to-continue-on-syfy/

Interesting... Granted 'in talks' isn't anything final but the fact that there's even interest on their side is surprising. I haven't seen the last five episodes yet (pls no spoilers), but it definitely seemed to be getting a little better as the stakes got higher. I never thought it was as bad as some said but maybe in a mini-series situation it can be much more focused and play out the story it could have been.

I've always liked the premise so maybe it was trying to draw it out for 22 episodes that did it in. It could actually be good as a mini-series.

IndyJones1023
06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
In this era, there should just be a channel for cancelled show wrap up movies.

LoadStar
06-01-2011, 10:27 PM
SyFy denies the news via Twitter:
https://twitter.com/#!/Syfy/status/76021503963049984

"To answer some questions I've been getting, at this time we have no plans to pick up The Event."

mrdazzo7
06-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Agreed... At the very least, any serialized 'on the bubble' shows should film two endings, one that wraps things up and and one that doesn't. Before I get booed for not understanding the business side of making a TV show, I actually think this would HELP because if you produce 13 or 22 episodes of a show that has no ending, and doesn't get renewed, that is the end of that show's life. No one will every rent or buy it on DVD knowing it doesn't have an ending.

But if you produce a good season long story with a legitimate ending, people will be much more inclined to pick it up later, because even though it doesn't go on for multiple years, it still tells a complete story. It just doesn't make sense to put all that investment into something and then just let it go.

Even w/ the Event, if it ended all open and stuff and they brought everyone back together for a two-hour TV movie to close it up, they could package the whole thing as a big, complete story and maybe make some money off it later. (Maybe not with this specific show but you get my point).

"To answer some questions I've been getting, at this time we have no plans to pick up The Event."

Well alrighty then. TV Line is usually on their s***... not this time.

Barmat
06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
It was an aweful show and would fit in at syfy. I say let them have it.

LoadStar
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Well alrighty then. TV Line is usually on their s***... not this time.

Well, to be fair, the guy from Syfy does say "at this time" so it's possible that may change.

jsmeeker
06-02-2011, 12:19 AM
some things are best left undone.

Peter000
06-02-2011, 12:41 AM

That's a perfect truthful evasive answer. They could still be in talks with The Event producers.

I'd watch it.

At one point wasn't Netflix also interested?

Alfer
06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
It was an aweful show and would fit in at syfy. I say let them have it.

This

lew
06-02-2011, 02:26 PM

It was know long before the last episodes were filmed this show was toast. What we saw was what the producers thought was a good ending.

A show which wasn't renewed after only one season on the air isn't typically a show in demand by other networks.

I can only think of two examples. JAG switched networks after one season and Baywatch went to syndication after a season (two?)

The Event doesn't have the quality of JAG or the visual appeal of Baywatch.

Stargate went from Showtime to ScFi after a number of seasons. SHO wasn't willing to pay the $$$ to film the show up to the standards of their network. SciFi had no problem lowering the standards of the show to meet their budget.

mattack
06-02-2011, 10:23 PM
No one will every rent or buy it on DVD knowing it doesn't have an ending.

I would agree with you that MOST people wouldn't.. but I would (and have, though I can't think of an example offhand).

Barmat
06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Syfy is dead to me now. I don't like any of their serio-comic series, the wrestling or the reality programing. Don't get me started on their steaming piles called original movies.

JYoung
06-03-2011, 03:27 AM

Not for this show.

That's a perfect truthful evasive answer. They could still be in talks with The Event producers.

I'd watch it.

At one point wasn't Netflix also interested?

I doubt it.
It was probably more wishful thinking on some fan's part.

The truth is that if the principle actors haven't been released from contract yet, they probably will be in a week or so.

The actors and production crew are probably already trying to line up new jobs if they haven't already.

cheesesteak
06-03-2011, 06:36 AM
I'd watch the miniseries. This show, like many others, probably should have been a miniseries to start out with.

Steveknj
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
The Event was not all that good, but I have to admit, I'd probably watch the miniseries as I am curious to see what would happen.

DevdogAZ
06-03-2011, 05:44 PM
I doubt it.
It was probably more wishful thinking on some fan's part.

The truth is that if the principle actors haven't been released from contract yet, they probably will be in a week or so.

The actors and production crew are probably already trying to line up new jobs if they haven't already.
It wasn't wishful thinking on the part of some fan. It's wishful thinking on the part of the show's creator. He's said in numerous interviews that he worked on this concept for 5-6 years before it every made it on the air, and he's got a long term plan for how it's all supposed to play out. So he's doing everything he can to keep the show alive, because it's been his life for so long. He just can't accept the fact that it got a shot and it didn't make it.

As for me, I'd watch if they extended the series on Syfy. If for no other reason than they'd probably have to trim the budget significantly, and that would hopefully mean getting rid of Leila. I'd like to see several more episodes of:
Sean, Vicky and Simon trying to decipher the scrolls and then trying to stop The Event, all while Earth is dealing with the arrival of the new planet.

lew
06-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Why do you see the need to put spoiler tags on what you'd like to see if the show comes back from the dead?

Trimming the budget means getting rid of any actor who won't work for Syfy scale. In other words Leila would be the star.

It wasn't wishful thinking on the part of some fan. It's wishful thinking on the part of the show's creator. He's said in numerous interviews that he worked on this concept for 5-6 years before it every made it on the air, and he's got a long term plan for how it's all supposed to play out. So he's doing everything he can to keep the show alive, because it's been his life for so long. He just can't accept the fact that it got a shot and it didn't make it.

As for me, I'd watch if they extended the series on Syfy. If for no other reason than they'd probably have to trim the budget significantly, and that would hopefully mean getting rid of Leila. I'd like to see several more episodes of:
Sean, Vicky and Simon trying to decipher the scrolls and then trying to stop The Event, all while Earth is dealing with the arrival of the new planet.

DevdogAZ
06-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Why do you see the need to put spoiler tags on what you'd like to see if the show comes back from the dead?

Because the OP said he was several episodes behind and asked that we not spoil it for him, and my spoiler referenced how I'd like to see the series proceed based on the events of the finale.

busyba
06-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Will SyFy add wrestling to ths show?