PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Ned Stark (Game of Thrones)

Rob Helmerichs
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
This guy (http://winteriscomingbitch.tumblr.com/tagged/stupid+ned) thinks Ned Stark is stupid. Is he being harsh? Or does he maybe, possibly, just conceivably have a point? :D

Sample:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll5vyumrpA1qjuha7o1_400.png

robojerk
06-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Ned seems like a guy that is virtuous, noble, and always follows the rules.

However he's involved in a game where the winners get all the glory and honor, and the losers will be branded as treasonous cowards that spread lies. I'm not sure if Ned's supposed to be this dense on purpose, but I'm hoping he realizes (maybe next season) that having honor wont get you far in this game.

spikedavis
06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Ned seems like a guy that is virtuous, noble, and always follows the rules.

However he's involved in a game where the winners get all the glory and honor, and the losers will be branded as treasonous cowards that spread lies. I'm not sure if Ned's supposed to be this dense on purpose, but I'm hoping he realizes (maybe next season) that having honor wont get you far in this game.

Heh.

Rob Helmerichs
06-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Ned's brand of idealistic purity is the kind of thing that works a lot better for the Governor of Alaska than for the President's Chief of Staff. As he just found out the hard way.

(Not a Sarah Palin reference, in case you were wondering.)

jakerock
06-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Heh.

Heh. Heh.

Steveknj
06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't know if he's stupid as much as he believes in an honor code that he thinks exists in his world but not longer does. From what I'm getting he still believes in the "old gods" (I remember his bastard Jon Snow mentioning he does), which should tell you something about how he perceives the world. I don't think it's an accident that Ned is from Winterfell on the outskirts of the kingdom, far away from the goings on in King's Landing. So he really isn't privy to the kind of crap that goes on in the "capital". And he's a man also that isn't ambitious about being King while those around him are. He just wants things done as they "should be" based on protocol. Stupid, no, naive, certainly.

Peter000
06-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Well it IS stupid if it's obvious that's not the way the system operates anymore.

robojerk
06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Well it IS stupid if it's obvious that's not the way the system operates anymore.

But he's a better man (and more honorable) than that damn it!

EDIT: The spoiler directly below (by pjenkins) is a MAJOR spoiler. Do not idly click on it!
You have been warned.

pjenkins
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
he lives by a particular code that is not what others live by.

EDIT: this is a huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the books

and his head coming off soon will show that was not the best decision for him, his family, or the realm!!!

robojerk
06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
he lives by a particular code that is not what others live by.
Why'd I open that.. Damnit.. That's quite a spoiler.

Legion
06-01-2011, 01:20 PM

First rule of Game of Thrones........dont get too attached to a character.

allan
06-01-2011, 02:05 PM

I choose to take it as speculation.
After all, he does have a knife at his throat ATM.

pjenkins
06-01-2011, 02:06 PM

yeah, hence the spoiler tag :)

and there is more!! going to be a great final 3 episodes!!! can't wait until season 2 already either - i'm already plowing through book 2 - glad there is more ahead..

allan
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
A man of honor, at King's Landing, is like bringing a tiny butter knife to a gun fight.

allan
06-01-2011, 02:10 PM
yeah, hence the spoiler tag :)

and there is more!! going to be a great final 3 episodes!!! can't wait until season 2 already either - i'm already plowing through book 2 - glad there is more ahead..

Bummer! That sucks! I guess Legion was right with his spoiler. :(

Peter000
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM
"You're asked to replace a man who was murdered on-the-job."

"Take the job."

DavidTigerFan
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Seriously? You guys just drop a major spoiler in a thread about a meme? That's BS and you know it. It had nothing to do with the season on TV and you guys just ruined what was probably the finale. Thanks a bunch you idiots. I just added you all to my ignore list because of this. I've never done it before but you guys seem intent on ruining a TV show just because you read the books.

john4200
06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Seriously? You guys just drop a major spoiler in a thread about a meme? That's BS and you know it. It had nothing to do with the season on TV and you guys just ruined what was probably the finale. Thanks a bunch you idiots. I just added you all to my ignore list because of this. I've never done it before but you guys seem intent on ruining a TV show just because you read the books.

Heinous! What was he thinking, putting a spoiler in a spoiler tag? There should be rules!

madscientist
06-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Technically it's in spoiler tags so it's not against the rules, even in a non-spoiler thread. And, given that anyone who's participating in the GoT threads understands more than half the people around here have read the books and know all the upcoming plot points I would imagine that anyone who hasn't read the books would be extremely reluctant to open spoilers.

However, I do have to agree with DavidTigerFan etc. that spoilers of that magnitude (assuming it's true) should have some warnings around. IMO it's pretty uncool, pjenkins, to throw a season-defining bombshell spoiler as an afterthought into a post that seems fairly innocent without any notice whatsoever. That post should have "this is a huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the books"-type messages all around it. Not required, but definitely simple common courtesy.

pjenkins
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Heinous! What was he thinking, putting a spoiler in a spoiler tag? There should be rules!

lol, i know. people on this board crack me up sometimes. to claim such anger, what children.

i did, however, put a further disclaimer on my earlier post for those that are too ****** to figure out that a spoiler tag is for, oh, i dunno, spoilers...

john4200
06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't have any problem with what pjenkins did. The spoiler tags are there for a reason. He used them properly.

If you are looking for people to blame (which I am not), you probably should go after people who use spoiler tags indiscriminately for things that are not spoilers, which then results in some people absent-mindedly opening spoiler tags, not expecting spoilers.

john4200
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
i did, however, put a further disclaimer on my earlier post for those that are too ****** to figure out that a spoiler tag is for, oh, i dunno, spoilers...

Someone should take one of those Ned Stark pictures and add the caption:

Don't want to find out what happens next in your favorite show?

Open a spoiler tag!

DavidTigerFan
06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
The difference is that this thread had nothing to do with the tv show. Why would I think any spoiler would have anything to do with what is being shown on hbo? Ridiculous and insensitive?

robojerk
06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I am upset I read that, but not so angry to rant on the internet. I know I'm at fault for clicking it.

I do think that not all spoilers are equal though, and dropping a big one should come with an extra caveat.

john4200
06-01-2011, 09:51 PM
The difference is that this thread had nothing to do with the tv show. Why would I think any spoiler would have anything to do with what is being shown on hbo? Ridiculous and insensitive?

Huh? Of course the thread is about the show and the book. What else would it be about? Is there another famous Ned Stark on a TV show called "Game of Thrones" that I do not know about?

robojerk
06-01-2011, 09:52 PM

Actually the thread is about the character, and his stupid virtues. The spoiler does fit with the context of the thread. I suggest you just let it go and remember that a lot of people have read the books so you'll need to be careful what spoilers you click on. :(

Fahtrim
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM

You clicked on it, you can't blame others for your stupidity, same as Ned Stark, at least he has the honor to not call people names on the internet and start crying like a little girl who scraped her knee.

whitson77
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
That's the way he operates. Which sure makes you wonder about... :)

The books are awesome.

Barmat
06-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I didn't open the spoiler thank god. I think it's getting so bad those that have read the book should have a seperate thread. Some of you are very good writers and I can pick up tone and inference from the posts as clues as to what's coming.

murgatroyd
06-02-2011, 12:39 AM
You clicked on it, you can't blame others for your stupidity, same as Ned Stark, at least he has the honor to not call people names on the internet and start crying like a little girl who scraped her knee.

Some of us who are paying attention have learned that spoiler tags don't work reliably for people trying to read the forum on mobile devices.

It's not appropriate anymore to assume that if someone has seen material wrapped in spoiler tags, he must have clicked on it to reveal it.

Peter000
06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Some of us who are paying attention have learned that spoiler tags don't work reliably for people trying to read the forum on mobile devices.

It's not appropriate anymore to assume that if someone has seen material wrapped in spoiler tags, he must have clicked on it to reveal it.

Well, that's not the Spoiler's fault is it? Everyone has following proper forum etiquette and rules, putting discussion about it in spoiler tags. Nobody can control that Forum Runner (which I'm assuming you're talking about) has a ****** implementation of spoiler tags.

I do think that a Spoiler alert should be put in the thread title now, warning of tagged spoilers.

SurvivorFan
06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
News Flash: Some people are jerks. No film at 11.

stellie93
06-02-2011, 04:06 PM
However, I do have to agree with DavidTigerFan etc. that spoilers of that magnitude (assuming it's true) should have some warnings around. IMO it's pretty uncool, pjenkins, to throw a season-defining bombshell spoiler as an afterthought into a post that seems fairly innocent without any notice whatsoever. That post should have "this is a huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the books"-type messages all around it. Not required, but definitely simple common courtesy.

I am upset I read that, but not so angry to rant on the internet. I know I'm at fault for clicking it.

I do think that not all spoilers are equal though, and dropping a big one should come with an extra caveat.

I've learned so many interesting facts about GOT from reading spoilers on this thread, so I hate to stop. But I am as of now. Last week I read a spoiler that gave away a huge part of this week's ep, and now I read this one. I guess no more interesting back story from the books for me. :(

Totally my fault, no one else's. Not blaming anyone. Love you all......