PDA

View Full Version : Cougartown 5/25/11 Season Finale

Satchel
05-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Anyone else watch and notice Abed from Community in the Subway scene?

Love the meta-crossover-goodness.

JYoung
05-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Not to mention Sam Lloyd as Ted Buckland from Scrubs.

I did laugh out loud when I saw Danny Pudi in the background.
So Cougar Town is fictional in the Community Universe but is real in the Scrubs Universe.

And yet one episode featured Laurie and the Zach Braff app.

DevdogAZ
05-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Not to mention Sam Lloyd as Ted Buckland from Scrubs.

I did laugh out loud when I saw Danny Pudi in the background.
So Cougar Town is fictional in the Community Universe but is real in the Scrubs Universe.

And yet one episode featured Laurie and the Zach Braff app.
Even better, Ted Buckland mentioned Hooch! There used to be a member here who opened a second account in the name of Hooch, and then whenever he was mentioned in a Scrubs thread, suddenly there would be a post from Hooch. It was a funny running gag for those of us who followed the Scrubs threads. I wish I knew who it was so I could tell them to come post here as Hooch.

mwhip
05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Hooch is crazy!

Not a bad EP but I really want to see Travis hook up with Lori just to see what happens.

TIVO_GUY_HERE
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Laurie ( Busy Phillips) has some nasty moles. I've seen them before, but when she was wearing her bikini, wow...

This show used to be one of my favorites, but it has fallen sharply this season. Send the son to a school in England or someplace, just get him off the show. Or at least away from his mother.

smak
05-27-2011, 07:20 PM
The kid is good when he's passing through a scene and takes a jab at somebody, but not as the focus of the story.

-smak-

Hooch
05-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Even better, Ted Buckland mentioned Hooch! There used to be a member here who opened a second account in the name of Hooch, and then whenever he was mentioned in a Scrubs thread, suddenly there would be a post from Hooch. It was a funny running gag for those of us who followed the Scrubs threads. I wish I knew who it was so I could tell them to come post here as Hooch.

Did somebody call me?

DavidTigerFan
05-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Rofl

DevdogAZ
05-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Awesome! Hooch be crazy!

LooseWiring
05-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Laurie ( Busy Phillips) has some nasty moles. I've seen them before, but when she was wearing her bikini,

Noticed the moles but wasn't really put off by them. Honestly my wife and I thought she never looked better. She wasn't wearing makeup and made you realize there is a very pretty lady underneath the makeup and slutty clothes.

DevdogAZ
05-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Noticed the moles but wasn't really put off by them. Honestly my wife and I thought she never looked better. She wasn't wearing makeup and made you realize there is a very pretty lady underneath the makeup and slutty clothes.

Agreed. Frankly, I figured she was a little fatter than that, based on her face and the clothes she wears. I was pleasantly surprised with how good she looked in a bikini.

wprager
05-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I thought the whole premise was ridiculous. Reminds me of the Government at fiscal-year-end time when they blow whatever is left of their budget, knowing that if they don't, it'll just get smaller next year. So the producers had money left over and decided to go to Hawaii. How on earth could all of those people afford to go to Hawaii at the drop of a hat? I don't think we've seen Jules do any work in months, and Bobby and Laurie didn't make *that much* on Pennycan. The only one I can see being able to afford the trip is Andy, but can he really just take off like that? It's still tax season for those filing late. And don't even get me started on Travis.

OK, I know, "Relax, it's just a TV show". But there simply was no point for any of them to be in Hawaii. Seeing Ted was great but given how much he sweats I thought for sure he'd go up north, somewhere. And why did they pass up the opportunity for Ted to do a double-take seeing Ellie?

cmontyburns
05-28-2011, 06:23 PM
And why did they pass up the opportunity for Ted to do a double-take seeing Ellie?

According to Alan Sepinwall (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/cougar-town-something-good-coming-the-hawaii-way):

I checked with "Cougar Town" co-creator Kevin Biegel - who had a cameo himself as Seinfeld Guy - about what Ted's appearance means for cross-series continuity, given the presence of Christa Miller as Ellie and occasional appearances by Ken Jenkins as Jules' dad. According to Biegel, one draft of the script had a gag where Ted sees a picture of Jules' dad and freaks out because he looks just like Kelso. (Though given that Cox herself briefly played Sacred Heart's chief of medicine, there was certainly opportunity to just deal with it when Jules and Ted met.) The idea is that Chick and Ellie look a lot like Kelso and Jordan but aren't the same person. Also, he says the existence of Coffee Bucks already put the shows in the same universe, and (here's where it gets slightly headache-inducing) that even though there have been Zach Braff references on the show, John Dorian somehow exists as well. Quoth Biegel: "They made fun of Zach Braff on 'Cougar Town,' but Braff is not JD in this universe. Braff just looks like the guy who is JD, just as Kelso looks like Chick and Seinfeld Guy looks like Brad Pitt. (Please quote me!)" So make of that what you will, continuity nerds.

lew
06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Andy had a boat load of FF miles. One of them has a relative who works for an airline and finagled non-rev tickets. Andy has a travel company as an account and finagled non-rev tickets/hotel.

Showing that would have meant a few minutes less of bikini shots. I think the producers did a good job in editing and showing what most viewers wanted to see.

How on earth could all of those people afford to go to Hawaii at the drop of a hat? I don't think we've seen Jules do any work in months, and Bobby and Laurie didn't make *that much* on Pennycan. The only one I can see being able to afford the trip is Andy, but can he really just take off like that? It's still tax season for those filing late. And don't even get me started on Travis.

OK, I know, "Relax, it's just a TV show". But there simply was no point for any of them to be in Hawaii. Seeing Ted was great but given how much he sweats I thought for sure he'd go up north, somewhere. And why did they pass up the opportunity for Ted to do a double-take seeing Ellie?

Steveknj
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
The whole Hawaii thing was a bit strange, but we've seen stuff like this before on a lot of shows where the whole cast just takes off, for no apparent reason to some resort. This show is really so irreverent in the way it is written that pretty much anything they do, doesn't seem like anything a normal person would do. Scrubs had a serious side to it. This show has no real serious side.

Hank
06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Just watched... fairly weak compared to some of the earlier episodes. I liked the US flyover in the title sequence with the obvious landmarks, and at the end, the tag line was "No, we'll never stop mocking the title"