PDA

View Full Version : South Park "Crack Baby Athletic Association" - OAD 5/25/11 **SPOILERS**

That Don Guy
05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Gee, do you think Trey and Matt have some problem with the NCAA and/or EA Sports and how, somehow, they are "exploiting" college athletes?

Of course, they seem to forget that:
(a) Nobody seems to have a problem with the thousands of slaves student-athletes in sports/divisions other than FBS football and Division I men's basketball (and, realistically, only a subset of these schools at that), but the NCAA rules apply to them as well;
(b) EA Sports doesn't use athletes' names (insert "but that doesn't stop them from using the athletes' likenesses and statistics and including the ability to upload the names from 'another source' " here - although I have heard reports of some players in the game not looking anything like their real counterparts, although that may have been limited only to the now-discontinued basketball titles)
(c) The - wait...Slash isn't real? It's just somebody's father? :(

verdugan
05-26-2011, 10:37 AM
(c) The - wait...Slash isn't real? It's just somebody's father? :(

Ohh yeah? Then who built the orphanage at the end?

Besides, Cartman at the end said he was real!

:p

jsmeeker
05-26-2011, 10:42 AM
"I'm part of the slave trade"

"the what??"

:D

lol

That whole scene with Cartman at University of Colorado was funny.

robbhimself
05-26-2011, 11:53 AM
it reminded me of an animated version of baseketball with kyle trying to keep the sport basic and cartman wanting to exploit it for money

That Don Guy
05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Ohh yeah? Then who built the orphanage at the end?
Moroni. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Moroni) (Dum da dum dum dum...)

Slash is really a vision implanted into humans' minds by Xenu.

logic88
05-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Gee, do you think Trey and Matt have some problem with the NCAA and/or EA Sports and how, somehow, they are "exploiting" college athletes?

Of course, they seem to forget that:
(a) Nobody seems to have a problem with the thousands of slaves student-athletes in sports/divisions other than FBS football and Division I men's basketball (and, realistically, only a subset of these schools at that), but the NCAA rules apply to them as well;

So it's OK that the NCAA and colleges are making billions off football & basketball while the "student-athlete" gets only tuition & room/board?

jsmeeker
05-26-2011, 04:48 PM
of course, it was perfectly fitting that cartman wanted kyle to be their accountant.

:)

Sparty99
05-26-2011, 05:04 PM
it reminded me of an animated version of baseketball with kyle trying to keep the sport basic and cartman wanting to exploit it for money
I thought the exact same thing.

That Don Guy
05-26-2011, 05:46 PM
So it's OK that the NCAA and colleges are making billions off football & basketball while the "student-athlete" gets only tuition & room/board?
Yes - considering that the NCAA probably isn't "making" anything (and, in most cases, the universities certainly aren't) from Division II and III football and men's basketball, or in every division in any other sport, and the rules are the same for those "student-athletes". Why should the rules be any different? (Especially if, the fraction of a second after a public school says, "Well, maybe we should pay our football and/or men's basketball players something," there will be a lawsuit filed claiming that the school discriminates against women; "Never mind that the women aren't as good as the men - they are capable of playing, so leaving them out on the grounds that 'men are better' and then paying the men is blatant discrimination." Something similar happened in California decades ago concerning strength tests for firefighters.)

(Here's an idea I had that may be the closest they can come to paying athletes, but this has a problem in that you're paying only the athletes on scholarship; the school increases its tuition by, say, $2000 a year as a "living expenses charge", which is refunded right back to each student. In most cases, this would be done by deducting the $2000 from the tuition bill, but for the scholarship athletes, the scholarships are allowed to cover this, so the $2000 is paid in cash. This is not a violation of any NCAA rules, as every student gets the money - in fact, the service academies may already do this.)

windracer
05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Was there also some movie being parodied in this episode? I couldn't put my finger on it but the whole sequence with Cartman "courting" Kyle by taking him to dinner at Denny's, showing him his office, "someone has to eat the bacon, it might as well be us" reminded me of something.

SeanC
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah something about the they way they were dressed rang a bell with me too....

Glen Garry Glen Ross? Boiler Room maybe?

Jesda
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
The Denny's thing was funny to me because I've been eating at them a lot on my road trip, and they've been trying to put bacon into everything.

Otherwise, if there was more to that joke, I missed it.

jsmeeker
05-27-2011, 12:50 PM
The Denny's thing was funny to me because I've been eating at them a lot on my road trip, and they've been trying to put bacon into everything.

Otherwise, if there was more to that joke, I missed it.

That Denny's was an exclusive place that was hard to get a table at was part of the joke, too. And they had a bottle of champagne. Kinda like Denny's was a night club and they were getting bottle service.

But as far as a connection to another movie? I'm not sure.

logic88
05-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes - considering that the NCAA probably isn't "making" anything (and, in most cases, the universities certainly aren't) from Division II and III football and men's basketball, or in every division in any other sport, and the rules are the same for those "student-athletes". Why should the rules be any different?

The fact that they're making billions is a pretty good reason to make the rules different, IMO. Change the rules so they get a piece of the pie. If your sport makes money, you make money. Otherwise, the scholarship is all you get.

Rob Helmerichs
05-27-2011, 09:41 PM
There are good reasons for that. ;)

Gene S
05-28-2011, 02:21 AM
I burst out laughing when Butters fell off the chair! :)

TonyD79
05-29-2011, 06:32 PM
The fact that they're making billions is a pretty good reason to make the rules different, IMO. Change the rules so they get a piece of the pie. If your sport makes money, you make money. Otherwise, the scholarship is all you get.

In other words, cut all the other sports. The vast majority of college athletic departments are losing money. This idea that players in big sports should get money would out athlete against athlete. Colleges use the money they make at football or basketball to pay for soccer, wrestling, swimming, track, golf, gymnastics, volleyball and more.

If you give a stipend to football players, give it to all athletes.

verdugan
05-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Moroni. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Moroni) (Dum da dum dum dum...)

Slash is really a vision implanted into humans' minds by Xenu.

LOL Too funny. The mormon episode is still one of my favorites.

jsmeeker
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
LOL Too funny. The mormon episode is still one of my favorites.

The musical "Book of Mormon" is supposed to be totally awesome. Crazy popular. Hard to get a ticket too. A huge number of Tony nominations.

Would love to see it.

Steveknj
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
In other words, cut all the other sports. The vast majority of college athletic departments are losing money. This idea that players in big sports should get money would out athlete against athlete. Colleges use the money they make at football or basketball to pay for soccer, wrestling, swimming, track, golf, gymnastics, volleyball and more.

If you give a stipend to football players, give it to all athletes.

I think the NFL and NBA ought to pay for the student athletes, after all it's their whole minor league system (which is interesting in that "minor" league football and basketball is hugely popular...I often wonder if those people into big time NCAA football and basketball realize they are watching minor leagues). Imagine if the NBA or NFL had to start paying for a legitimate minor league developmental league similar to what baseball and hockey have. Basically they get that for free from the colleges.

My opinion has always been the colleges are for an education, not to be a sports franchise. Money should be given to Science majors and Education majors, not football players reading at a 5th grade level. I really wonder how much scholarship money actually goes to pay for the REAL university, not the AD. I thought I remember reading the the ADs at big time schools, are pretty much self sufficient and don't actually fund anything else at the schools.

I digress....Loved the episode.

busyba
05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
In other words, cut all the other sports.

Pssst. Your excluded middle is showing.