PDA

View Full Version : Premiere and OTA with No Cablecard ????

David Scavo
03-11-2010, 04:43 PM
EDIT - It was not OTA, but ClearQAM I was thinking of....

Thanks to OrangeBoy for setting me straight on OTA support.

After a search, it looks like the answer to ClearQAM support is no.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=444053&highlight=qam

I have 2 OTA stations that I can't get good reception on. I probably would have picked up a Premiere if it could do both OTA and ClearQAM. Oh well.

[INCORRECT ORIGINAL QUESTION]
Tivo seems to be promoting using Premiere with OTA and no cablecards.

Does TIVO finally allow scanning / configuring OTA lineups without the use of a cable card ?? From what I had read in the past, this capability was not available on Series3 or TIVOHD...

orangeboy
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Tivo seems to be promoting using Premiere with OTA and no cablecards.

Does TIVO finally allow scanning / configuring OTA lineups without the use of a cable card ?? From what I had read before, this was not available on Series3 or TIVOHD...

http://www.tivo.com/products/source/antenna/index.html
http://www.tivo.com/products/source/antenna/howto/howto.html

I have OTA and no cablecard on my Series3. My lineups are fine.

David Scavo
03-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I have OTA and no cablecard on my Series3. My lineups are fine.My memory is starting to go.

Did some more digging and it was ClearQAM scanning / configuration without a cablecard that TIVO did not support.

Sorry about that.

pdonoghu
03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
My memory is starting to go.

Did some more digging and it was ClearQAM scanning / configuration without a cablecard that TIVO did not support.

Sorry about that.

You can scan and get in the clear QAM channels, you just won't get guide data without a cable card. You would be limited to manual recordings on the digital cable channels. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a Tivo. Cable cards are typically anywhere from free to a few dollars a month.

David Scavo
03-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Cable cards are typically anywhere from free to a few dollars a month.Comcast is my provider and word is they don't give them out unless you have an actual cable package.

ZeoTiVo
03-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Comcast is my provider and word is they don't give them out unless you have an actual cable package.

There are other options if you want to manually MAP QAM channels - open source stuff like Myth TV on an HTPC
HD Homerun looks really cool
Moxi lets you map QAM channels

anyone know if Windows Media Center itself lets you map clear QAM?

Now many cable companies are getting hip to the fact that there is a growing base of people using them to get better 'OTA reception' and they are starting to get FCC permission to go all digital and then encrypt the channels. It is really just in NYC that I know of but other dense populated areas are likely to follow along.

lessd
03-12-2010, 10:06 AM
There are other options if you want to manually MAP QAM channels - open source stuff like Myth TV on an HTPC
HD Homerun looks really cool
Moxi lets you map QAM channels

anyone know if Windows Media Center itself lets you map clear QAM?

Now many cable companies are getting hip to the fact that there is a growing base of people using them to get better 'OTA reception' and they are starting to get FCC permission to go all digital and then encrypt the channels. It is really just in NYC that I know of but other dense populated areas are likely to follow along.

Windows 7 Media automatically maps clear QAM, I have on my new computer so I know it works at least on my Comcast cable system in the Hartford area.

gweempose
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
There are other options if you want to manually MAP QAM channels - open source stuff like Myth TV on an HTPC ...
HD Homerun looks really cool ...
Moxi lets you map QAM channels ...

Windows 7 Media automatically maps clear QAM ...It sounds to me like TiVo is the only third party solution that DOES NOT map the QAM channels. :down:

ZeoTiVo
03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
It sounds to me like TiVo is the only third party solution that DOES NOT map the QAM channels. :down:

also the only one that has deals with several major MSOs. :) So it evens out. For those few wanting to get basic cable and record QAM digital channels then TiVo is not the full solution for them. I really see no reason it would boost TiVo bottom line to add in QAM mapping and would rather they keep adding other features. YMMV and if it does then get one of the other solutions. ;)

David Scavo
03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
HD Homerun looks really coolI have a SageTV system and an HDHR. I have been a TIVO supporter for many years (bought the original 14 hour Series 1 for $499) and a TIVO investor as well.

I try to check in when they release new models, to see if I can spend some money with them. It just seem to work out that other products fit my needs better (unfortunately).

ZeoTiVo
03-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a SageTV system and an HDHR. I have been a TIVO supporter for many years (bought the original 14 hour Series 1 for $499) and a TIVO investor as well.

I try to check in when they release new models, to see if I can spend some money with them. It just seem to work out that other products fit my needs better (unfortunately).

Yeah, I have found that TiVo DVRs best fit my needs and love the down loadable media they have put together with the box. So sell some of that TiVo investment that bounced off the DISH ruling and get digital cable ;)

David Scavo
03-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I have found that TiVo DVRs best fit my needs and love the down loadable media they have put together with the box. So sell some of that TiVo investment that bounced off the DISH ruling and get digital cable ;)I sold it all, but I am not giving any of it to Comcast ;)