PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on converting DVDs for my TiVo

mreaves53
08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I ripped the DVD into a Video TS folder using DVDFab. I converted the Video TS fiolder to an ISO file using Imagine Burn. I then converted the ISO file to an MPEG 2 VOB file using Format Factory. I put this file in the My Tivo folder. TiVo desktop saw the file and will play it. My TiVo sees the file in the folder for my laptop, but will not transfer it. I can transfer a file back to the TiVo that I tranfered to my laptop. I am using the free version of TiVo to Go.

Any and all suggestions on where I go from here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

windracer
08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure why you went through the ISO route since .VOB file are already MPEG-2.

When you say "it won't transfer" it, what message are you getting on the TiVo?

GBL
08-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I ripped the DVD into a Video TS folder using DVDFab. I converted the Video TS fiolder to an ISO file using Imagine Burn. I then converted the ISO file to an MPEG 2 VOB file using Format Factory. I put this file in the My Tivo folder. TiVo desktop saw the file and will play it. My TiVo sees the file in the folder for my laptop, but will not transfer it. I can transfer a file back to the TiVo that I tranfered to my laptop. I am using the free version of TiVo to Go.

Any and all suggestions on where I go from here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You need Tivo Desktop Plus to "Transfer compatible web videos to your TiVo DVR for viewing on your TV".

See
http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/tivogear/software/index.html

If you have downloaded videos from the Internet in any of the following formats, you can use TiVo Desktop Plus software for the PC to transfer them to your network-connected TiVo DVR to view them on your TV:

* Windows Media Video (.wmv)
* QuickTime Movie (.mov)
* MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4, .m4v, .mp4v)
* MPEG-2 (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpe, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpv2)
* DivX and Xvid (.avi, .divx)

windracer
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM
You need Tivo Desktop Plus to "Transfer compatible web videos to your TiVo DVR for viewing on your TV".
The free version will transfer plain MPEG-2 files, though, which is sounds like what the OP is trying to do. You only need Plus if you're trying to send other formats like Divx, Xvid, WMV, etc.

Allanon
08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I would suggest getting a VOB Joiner program, most of them will also convert to mpeg or AVI which can be trasfered to the Tivo.

mreaves53
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
The TiVo responds with File placed in to do list to be transferred after other transfers have completed. The file is not in the To Do list.

What program can join VOB files?

PeterP
08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I do this all the time.

1) Rip the main movie with DVDShrink to a single vob file.
2) Run the vob through VideoReDo Quick Stream Fix to output a mpg file.
3) Transfer to the Tivo with TivoDesktop or Pytivo.

No transcoding is required.

PeterP
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
The TiVo responds with File placed in to do list to be transferred after other transfers have completed. The file is not in the To Do list.

What program can join VOB files?
VOB files can be joined by simply appending them.

copy file1.vob+file2.vob+file3.vob output.vob

Try just changing the vob extension to mpg and see if it works. I use VideoReDo Quick Stream Fix to repair any problems.

windracer
08-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I, too, use VideoRedo Plus. It's well worth the money for editing MPEG-2 files, joining VOBs, authoring DVDs, etc.

Just_Chris
08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
IF you have the mobile option with DVDFAb you can do it with that. It will rip your dvd to one big VOB which you then change the ext to .mpg and off you go. Sometimes I get sound issues but not all the time. Just watched Transformers this way and it was perfect. I have dvdFab platinum with the mobile option.

pmiranda
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
I do this all the time.

1) Rip the main movie with DVDShrink to a single vob file.
2) Run the vob through VideoReDo Quick Stream Fix to output a mpg file.
3) Transfer to the Tivo with TivoDesktop or Pytivo.

No transcoding is required.

I usually skip the second step with no worries.

noseph
08-05-2009, 10:14 AM
The first thing I do when I buy a new DVD is rip it with DVDFab to a single VOB and then process it through VideoReDo Quick Stream Fix. This is all I use to do, the resulting mpg is available to my S3 thru PyTiVo. I now further process the mpg with WinFF to get an mp4 that I can stream to my S3 with StreamBaby.

leroycorbid
08-15-2009, 08:55 PM
My preferred method is to use DvD Decrypter using the file mode making sure that the "file splitting" drop down box in the prefereces is set "By VOB" and that the file size spitting is set to "none"

You can also set it to pick out the main movie files. This will allow it to either append all of the files together for one large movie or split into seperate files for things like a Tv Series.

Once the files are copied to your hard disk. You will need to use the rename funtion to change the generic .Vob name to something descriptive. I also test each file to make sure that it starts at the beginning and ends at the end. I use Video lan Client to do this because it will play .VOB files nativly.

Occasionaly you will end up with some unwanted "extras" or filler matirial another reason to test each file before it is added to your collection. I also delete the .IFO file that is also copied with them, but only because I don't know how to take advantage of the information on it.

TiVo has recently added .Vob support but if you dont have this feature you will need to rename the file (not convert it which take a lot of time and resources). using your command window and these inputs.

First open the start menu and click the "run" button.
Type "cmd" into the popup window and press "ok"
At the prompt type " %driveletter%: "The drive letter where the files are saved followed by a colon
"enter"
You should now see a prompt like this c:\ (replace the "c" with your drive letter")
now type "cd c:\%your directory%\%your folder%\ " (Ie c:\users\administrator\myvideos\")
you can use the Command "DIR" at any point to find the name of the next folder in the tree.
Once you Are in the same directory as your .Vob files you can enter this
"REN *.vob *.mpg"
This will rename all of the .vob files in the directory to .mpg this works because both are just contaners for the MPEG-2 codex the same encryptions in a diffrent package.

Now that TiVo is supporting .Vob files this last part is unnessesary but once you do it a couple of times it is a breeze to do multiple files at once and WMP will also be able to play these type of files

good luck and remember this info is for the archiving of media that you own.

Stormspace
08-15-2009, 09:09 PM
VOB files can be joined by simply appending them.

copy file1.vob+file2.vob+file3.vob output.vob

Try just changing the vob extension to mpg and see if it works. I use VideoReDo Quick Stream Fix to repair any problems.

This won't work unless you use an app like dvdshrink to strip out the macrovision encoding.

sampsas
08-17-2009, 10:04 AM
My preferred method is to use DvD Decrypter using the file mode making sure that the "file splitting" drop down box in the prefereces is set "By VOB" and that the file size spitting is set to "none"

You can also set it to pick out the main movie files. This will allow it to either append all of the files together for one large movie or split into seperate files for things like a Tv Series.

Once the files are copied to your hard disk. You will need to use the rename funtion to change the generic .Vob name to something descriptive. I also test each file to make sure that it starts at the beginning and ends at the end. I use Video lan Client to do this because it will play .VOB files nativly.

Occasionaly you will end up with some unwanted "extras" or filler matirial another reason to test each file before it is added to your collection. I also delete the .IFO file that is also copied with them, but only because I don't know how to take advantage of the information on it.

TiVo has recently added .Vob support but if you dont have this feature you will need to rename the file (not convert it which take a lot of time and resources). using your command window and these inputs.

First open the start menu and click the "run" button.
Type "cmd" into the popup window and press "ok"
At the prompt type " %driveletter%: "The drive letter where the files are saved followed by a colon
"enter"
You should now see a prompt like this c:\ (replace the "c" with your drive letter")
now type "cd c:\%your directory%\%your folder%\ " (Ie c:\users\administrator\myvideos\")
you can use the Command "DIR" at any point to find the name of the next folder in the tree.
Once you Are in the same directory as your .Vob files you can enter this
"REN *.vob *.mpg"
This will rename all of the .vob files in the directory to .mpg this works because both are just contaners for the MPEG-2 codex the same encryptions in a diffrent package.

Now that TiVo is supporting .Vob files this last part is unnessesary but once you do it a couple of times it is a breeze to do multiple files at once and WMP will also be able to play these type of files

good luck and remember this info is for the archiving of media that you own.

Just did Madagascar from DVD to VOB (DVDShrink single VOB file) then moved file to my tivo video folder on HDD hit the "F2" button on keyboard and changed the .vob to .mpg hit enther twice and poof!!! woked like a charm!!!! no command line nothin!!!

jcthorne
08-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Yep that works fine to get an mpeg2 file. Would really be great if DVDFab would update the .h264 encoding section to support a TivoHD profile or at least allow the settings to do it manually. An mp4 file of the same movie uses far less space on the tivo and transferrs MUCH faster.