PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Desktop 2.7 - Need to restart PC each time to stream

tim.ridolfi
06-15-2009, 02:02 AM
My Tivo Desktop seems to be very flakey. I generally put my PC into sleep mode instead shutting it right down. However I have found that although I can see the PC on my TV after resuming from stand by, it will not read any files that I have put in the queue to transfer. If I restart the PC, it works again. Anyone have any ideas, or should I go back to something like Streambaby?

larry99
06-15-2009, 05:06 AM
When you use sleep mode or standby in Windows, some processes lose intialization. I always had to reset my modem, for example when I used Standby. For that reason, I changed the Power settings to shut off the monitor and hard drive but never enter Standby. I checked the power consumption a while back and there was not too big a difference between Standby and turning off monitor and hard drives. If you are interested, I can measure the difference again.

For Sleep mode, the Power savings is more; it's as if you turned off the PC. I tried using Sleep mode and always wound up with Windows scewing up after a couple of days. Windows can not go for more than a week without problems of some kind in my experience (if you don't reboot.)

In any case, there are many bugs in Desktop 2.7 per threads in this forum. Its OK for going from TIVO to PC but not for PC to TIVO. I changed to Streambaby for that case and it has worked very reliably.