PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Tivo Online guide data and rant

HighTechMN
04-17-2009, 05:50 AM
Is anyone dealing with incorrect data on Tivo Online? I purchased my first Tivo recently and everything seems to work fine on box itself, but the TV listings on tivo.com are all mixed up. Here's my customer service experience:

First call - told to wait 48 hours for guides to sync. Sounds reasonable, so I waited.

Second call - told to run Guided Setup again and wait 24 hours since something must have caused the initial setup to not transfer the data correctly to online server. Sounds reasonabe, so I reran Guided Setup and I waited.

Third call - spent a half hour with CS rep and was told that he was going to send my issue to Tribune Media and that I needed to wait 10 DAYS. Does not sound so reasonable, so I post on Tivo Community for help and to vent (sorry everyone!).

I bought this first Tivo with the intent of migrating all 3 of my Comcast DVRs to Tivos if everyting worked well with the first installation. Remote scheduling was a key selling point. Bottom line... the Comcast DVRs, while lacking features, have been reliable workhorses in my home for several years and whenever I had a problem Comcast was actually very quick to fix it. I'm finding to my surprise that Tivo's technical support has been inferior. None of the guys I talked to seemed to have a clue about what was going on. Each one of them put me on hold to consult with someone else on their team (which was totally fine with me) but ultimately came back with "you'll just have to wait for it to sync". Well, the 30-day trial period is my drop dead date, so I won't be waiting much longer. If the great features Tivo offers don't work reliably, what is the point of having them?

chip_r
04-17-2009, 08:39 AM
No problem that I see. On-line times match the box.

You've probably done this already but here are some suggestions:

1) Make sure when you go to tivo.com, you log in as you on your account. Apparently by just anonymously visiting tivo.com, it picks up your local time zone and you can get a 'generic' schedule for your time zone. I've been tripped up by this before.

2) When you're on tivo.com, do you see your named tivo as an option for scheduling (i.e. "Den", "Bedroom", "R2D2", etc.)? That would indicate your on-line acount is linked to your box. It may not prove anything but it's a start.

HighTechMN
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks. Yes, I've done both. It shows my "Theater Room" guide, but does not match.

chip_r
04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
A few more ideas but less likely:

3) Can you see a pattern to the incorrect on-line schedules? i.e. an hour or two off, lineup for the wrong tier, local news but for the wrong city?

4) This could prolong the sync process but how about changing the name of your box on-line (i.e. "Theatre Room New") and forcing a connection to see if the new name propagates to your Tivo?

5) Also can your compare your TSN on the box to the TSN for the on-line account? It's possible your on-line account is linked to the wrong Tivo.

bkdtv
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I've seen it take as much as a week for the online guide to sync after you run guided setup. Re-running guided setup essentially resets the delay.

Once the online guide data reflects your lineup, it takes 5-15 minutes for a remotely scheduled program to hit your TiVo.

spocko
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
If you are interested in online scheduling, you should also check out zap2it.com. You can do online scheduling there as well, and in my opinion has a much better user interface than the TV listings guide at tivo.com. The Tivo site doesn't even let you customize the channel list. I think it should automatically filter the list to show the exact same lineup as on your Tivo box. At zap2it, you can at least manually filter the channel list, and it's overall easier and faster to use. The design of Tivo's online listing site is pretty weak in my opinion. It does the job, but nothing more.

The best online listing site I've seen is titantv.com. It has a great UI and is very customizable. Unfortunately it doesn't support online scheduling with Tivo, but if I just want to see listings, that's the site I use.

bakerja
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I have had mixed results with TiVo Online Scheduling. Right now, the channels are all messed up. It's showing "Law and Order" on ESPN and "College Baseball" on CNN. All of the channels are off. I've been looking for resolutions for about an hour. The search is pretty much useless also. Try searching for "law and order", it returns no results! Are you kidding me, I'll bet it's on 7 different channels 7 different times of the day!

I'll try the zap2it thing and see if it works better.
JAB

bakerja
04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
If you are interested in online scheduling, you should also check out zap2it.com. You can do online scheduling there as well, and in my opinion has a much better user interface than the TV listings guide at tivo.com.

Just signed up with zap2it. Linked my tivo account with zap2it. Go to TV listings and they are correct (and faster than TIVO.COM). Can't see a button on the grid to "record to tivo". I must be overlooking the obvious but I can't figure out how to schedule a recording.:confused:

Edit:
Ahhh...click on the individual episode to get tivo options.

mlinehan
04-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Is anyone dealing with incorrect data on Tivo Online?

Yes. I just tried to use the online tv guide listing to schedule "sit down and shut up" to record this coming Sunday and discovered that the guide listings are all buggered up.

I have both over the air channels and cable channels in my channel list, and this appears to be what is borking up the online guide. Details to help TIVO debug the problem follow...

[Channel#, Antenna/Cable, Station_Call_Sign]
[2, ANT, WDTN] is listing programs that air on [2, CBL, WSFJ]
[2, CBL, WSFJ] is listing programs that air on [3, CBL, GOAC003]
[3, CBL, GOAC003] is listing programs that air on [4, CBL, TVGN]
[4, ANT, WCMH] is listing programs that air on [5, CBL, WBNS]
[4, CBL, TVGN] is listing programs that air on [6, CBL, CBB]
[4-1, ANT, WCMHDT] is listing programs that air on [7, CBL, WCMH]
[4-2, ANT, WCMHDT2] is listing programs that air on [8, CBL, WTTE]

In short, the online TV guide has a row for each channel my tivo receives, (both cable and antenna) but is only showing guide data for the cable channels, skipping the antenna channels, throwing everything out of alignment vertically in the grid.

Hope this helps Tivo solve the probem.

Matt

HighTechMN
04-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I too have set up both cable and OTA. I'll rerun as cable only to see if that solves the problem with the guide.

Bierboy
04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
If you are interested in online scheduling, you should also check out zap2it.com. You can do online scheduling there as well, and in my opinion has a much better user interface than the TV listings guide at tivo.com. The Tivo site doesn't even let you customize the channel list. I think it should automatically filter the list to show the exact same lineup as on your Tivo box. At zap2it, you can at least manually filter the channel list, and it's overall easier and faster to use. The design of Tivo's online listing site is pretty weak in my opinion. It does the job, but nothing more.

The best online listing site I've seen is titantv.com. It has a great UI and is very customizable. Unfortunately it doesn't support online scheduling with Tivo, but if I just want to see listings, that's the site I use.
I agree that Zap2It is much better as far as customizing, but it still has its quirks. I find that, unless the show you wish to record is several hours out (not just two or three), sometimes it won't allow you to record it (it doesn't have the "record to TiVo" option next to it).

Just signed up with zap2it. Linked my tivo account with zap2it. Go to TV listings and they are correct (and faster than TIVO.COM). Can't see a button on the grid to "record to tivo". I must be overlooking the obvious but I can't figure out how to schedule a recording.:confused:

Edit:
Ahhh...click on the individual episode to get tivo options.
That's another Zap2It interface quirk I don't like....the "record to TiVo" option should be right on the grid and not buried two levels deep.

HighTechMN
04-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Yes. I just tried to use the online tv guide listing to schedule "sit down and shut up" to record this coming Sunday and discovered that the guide listings are all buggered up.

I have both over the air channels and cable channels in my channel list, and this appears to be what is borking up the online guide. Details to help TIVO debug the problem follow...

[Channel#, Antenna/Cable, Station_Call_Sign]
[2, ANT, WDTN] is listing programs that air on [2, CBL, WSFJ]
[2, CBL, WSFJ] is listing programs that air on [3, CBL, GOAC003]
[3, CBL, GOAC003] is listing programs that air on [4, CBL, TVGN]
[4, ANT, WCMH] is listing programs that air on [5, CBL, WBNS]
[4, CBL, TVGN] is listing programs that air on [6, CBL, CBB]
[4-1, ANT, WCMHDT] is listing programs that air on [7, CBL, WCMH]
[4-2, ANT, WCMHDT2] is listing programs that air on [8, CBL, WTTE]

In short, the online TV guide has a row for each channel my tivo receives, (both cable and antenna) but is only showing guide data for the cable channels, skipping the antenna channels, throwing everything out of alignment vertically in the grid.

Hope this helps Tivo solve the probem.

Matt

Yep, that's exactly what mine is doing. The grid data is ignoring the ANT channel rows and listing 2,3,4,5, etc. from CBL lineup. Nice job figuring out the patttern!!

mlinehan
04-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Yep, that's exactly what mine is doing. The grid data is ignoring the ANT channel rows and listing 2,3,4,5, etc. from CBL lineup. Nice job figuring out the patttern!!

Thanks for the follow up confirming the pattern.

I've already e-mailed a description of the problem to webmaster@tivo.com, posted a description of the problem at the official tivo.com support forums, started a new thread describing the problem in the Series3 forums here @tivocommunity.com, and of course the description in this thread. I dare say, I've been quite LOUD trying to get the attention of someone official at Tivo.

I considered calling Tivo telephone technical support, but then decided that it would probably be a lost cause trying to get through to someone who can understand and actually do something about the problem that way. 90% of the problems they fix are user error...

My bet is, the most productive message I've sent out, will be the one I blindly sent to webmaster@tivo.com. It didn't bounce.... a fairly good sign.

So now we just have to wait for someone official at Tivo to notice the problem report, and fix it. :D

Matthew

Turtleboy
04-19-2009, 04:15 AM
Try lineup@tivo.com

jrm01
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM

Well, I just checked the lineup for my THD, which has antenna and cable. Exact same problem. It is ignoring the antenna lineups and displaying all the cable lineups in sequence, although the antenna channels are listed. therefore, after the first channel all others are offset.

Bierboy
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Try lineup@tivo.com

Tried that a couple of times in the past several months...no response, no action. I finally had to call TiVo CS before my lineup changes were made. That's what I would recommend over an e-mail or the Web page.

HighTechMN
04-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Just to follow-up, I reran guided setup as "cable only" to remove my OTA channels and Tivo Online updated correctly, without the OTA channels of course.

It sounds like we know what the problem is. Now let's see if Tivo can fix it.

jrm01
04-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Based on mlineham's detailed post on tivo.com (same as on here) I forwarded the problem onto tivo employees who monitor that site and it is being worked on.

mlinehan
04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
I just checked this morning, the TV Listing Guide has now been broken for at least 10 days.

However I discovered that if you sign in to the TV Listings Guide, then scroll to the bottom of the TV Listings, and click on "Contact us", then click on "If you have feedback about our new web site, please send us email."

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/contactus/contact_webmaster.html

You get a page for reporting problems with the web site.

Please, everyone that is also having this problem, please go here and let them know so it can be fixed.

Thanks!

bakerja
04-28-2009, 07:30 AM
http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/contactus/contact_webmaster.html

You get a page for reporting problems with the web site.

Please, everyone that is also having this problem, please go here and let them know so it can be fixed.

Thanks!

Done.

mlinehan
05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Hurray!!!!! Someone finally fixed the TV Listings Guide!

Not happy about how long it took to get through the "Great Wall of Technical Support", but I am very very very happy that, at long last, its **** FIXED *****

spectra57
05-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Hurray!!!!! Someone finally fixed the TV Listings Guide!

Not happy about how long it took to get through the "Great Wall of Technical Support", but I am very very very happy that, at long last, its **** FIXED *****

Mine still shows cable channels only. :( How do you get the listings for antenna? :confused:

deandashl
05-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Comcast DVR - no expectations, even though over 4 years it's MORE expensive.

TiVo DVR - if it's not perfect, it's fatally flawed!!

The more you give them, the more they expect.

HighTechMN
05-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Mine still shows cable channels only. :( How do you get the listings for antenna? :confused:

If you've run guided setup and selected "Cable and Antenna" as your content source, you should see the OTA channel listings in your Tivo guide and those should show up automaticaly on the online guide. I've been told by Tivo CS that it may take a day or two for the online guide to reflect the changes.

spectra57
05-10-2009, 07:38 AM
If you've run guided setup and selected "Cable and Antenna" as your content source, you should see the OTA channel listings in your Tivo guide and those should show up automaticaly on the online guide. I've been told by Tivo CS that it may take a day or two for the online guide to reflect the changes.

Thanks, I do see both cable and OTA channels on my TiVo guide, but only see cable for the online guide. I used to see both. Do I need to run the guided set-up again. :confused:

spectra57
05-11-2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks, I do see both cable and OTA channels on my TiVo guide, but only see cable for the online guide. I used to see both. Do I need to run the guided set-up again. :confused:

Any thoughts anyone? :confused:

mlinehan
05-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Any thoughts anyone? :confused:

Yea, I'm a moron! Same here. They fixed the guide by deleting the antenna channels from the lineup.

I was so happy when I saw that the show data was aligned with the channels, I didn't notice that it was achieved by deleting the antenna channels.

I don't understand how Tivo can be ran this poorly... We ** PAY ** for this service (mine is up for renewal in two months) ... sad... very sad....

And totally unacceptable. I guess I'll have to lodge a complaint with the better business bureau just to get there attention.

ToddNeedsTiVo
05-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I haven't scheduled a recording online for several weeks, but my OTA channels are missing from my lineup, which is showing only cable channels. While the program I want to schedule is available on the cable version of the channel, I need OTA because I want the recording to be in HD.

spectra57
05-15-2009, 10:06 AM
I haven't scheduled a recording online for several weeks, but my OTA channels are missing from my lineup, which is showing only cable channels. While the program I want to schedule is available on the cable version of the channel, I need OTA because I want the recording to be in HD.

Same Here! That is what's it all about, recording HD content OTA. This needs to be fixed. :( :mad:

alexgwallace
06-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree, this is getting quite ridiculous. Also even the ability to input "record from 2pm-4pm on channel 100" would be better if they can't get the guide info working.

spectra57
07-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree, this is getting quite ridiculous. Also even the ability to input "record from 2pm-4pm on channel 100" would be better if they can't get the guide info working.

I just checked there site and digital OTA HD channels are back on the list! :)