PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 DirecTiVo video problem

lvthunder
03-30-2009, 01:16 AM
My HDVR2 has been acting up lately. Tuner 2 kept popping up the signal loss message. When I look at the signal meter it showed both tuners with the same strength. So I switched cables anyway and same problem. I then took out the drive and ran it using SpinRite on level 4 (where it reads and writes to each sector) and it had no problems. So I put the drive back in and now on both the composite and svideo connection there is kinda wavy line through the picture and there are some lines through the picture and it looks a little dark. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

classicsat
03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Try it without S-video.

You might have a ground loop.

lvthunder
03-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks that fixed it. That's weird. I had it unplugged from the TV but not the TiVo. Now it's back to saying No signal on Tuner 2. I guess it's dying a slow death. I wish TiVo would come out with that new D* box soon.

halfempty
04-01-2009, 03:45 AM
A dying tuner 2 on a series 2 DTivo is not terribly uncommon. Sometimes not using the S-video output will get some more life out of it, but it usually comes back. It's probably either the power supply, or the tuner chip itself. One of mine died after about 6 1/2 years of continuous use, the other one is still going strong. You can re-run guided setup and tell it that it only has one cable connected to use it as a single tuner system, you can gamble on a new power supply to see if that's the problem, or you can send the unit out to CCS Corporation (http://www.ccscorporation.net/PVR_T.htm) for a complete refurb.

Edit: Just saw this other thread that looks like the same problem.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=422486

lvthunder
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I think I'm just going to put up with it until the new HD DirecTiVo comes out.

Elistan
04-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Funny, I've been having the exact same problem on my HDVR2, and came to the exact same conclusion about how to resolve the issue - wait for the HD TiVo. :)

To be more specific, the problem is most prevalent on (but not exclusive to) transponder A32. (DIY, BBC America, History International, etc.) Looking at that transponder on the sat signal test screen shows it at 95 to 98 most of the time, with periodic dips every few seconds to No Signal. Bummer.