PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Between TiVo's with different owners?

nprising
03-28-2009, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine recently upgraded to a TiVo HD XL and gave me his old Series 2 DT since it still has a year of service on it. I also have a Series 2 DT. I can see the TiVos on the now playing list of each TiVo but when i pull it up it says no recordings found. I'm assuming this is because they are on separate accounts and the MAK is different. I have tried restarting both of the TiVo's and have made sure both of them are running the same software update. One is on a wireless adapter and the other is hardwired through a switch. Only difference between the 2 is the TiVo he gave me has Dual 750gb Hard Drives and mine is just a standard 80 hour unit.. I'm assuming the Conflict is because of the different accounts. Is there any work around for this? Thank you for any help in advance

greg_burns
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm assuming the Conflict is because of the different accounts. Is there any work around for this? Thank you for any help in advance

That's it. You have to call Tivo and have the your friends Tivo added to your account.

nprising
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
If i call Tivo and have them add that box to my account won't i lose the year of service left on the box since it's in my friends name? I can live without the transfering for now.. I don't have the extra money right now to extend the subscription or i would..

scandia101
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
If i call Tivo and have them add that box to my account won't i lose the year of service left on the box since it's in my friends name?

Yes, the existing sub would be canceled.