PDA

View Full Version : How to Use (2) Tivo Series 2 and Slingbox with Comcast Extended Cable?

information
03-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I just received the email below from Tivo. I have two Series 2 Tivos one of which is connected to a Slingbox. I don't know much at all about digital cable and was under the impression that I would not be affected at all, but this email clearly indicates that I will need a digitial box of some type (at least one). I have two Tivo subscriptions, one for each box, one of the units has two tuners, the other is of the older type.

Since I have no experience with this type of connections, can someone please let me know what type of problems I am likely to encounter (the Slingbox is indispensible to me) and where do I get the boxes (Comcast?). Do I have to look for best prices and are my two Tivos in jeopardy of becoming obsolete? By when do I have to have things done?

Thanks for any help!

Dear TiVo Customer,

Comcast Cable is transitioning to all-digital cable. With all-digital cable, extended basic cable channels will be broadcasting only in digital, and you will need a digital cable box to view them.

Note: basic cable channels will continue to be broadcast in analog format, as usual. Your TiVo DVR will have limited dual-tuning functionality as a result of this change from Comcast Cable. Please contact Comcast Cable for information on which channels will be affected by this transition.

To ensure you are informed on the effects of this transition and your upgrade options, please visit our Support Page.

Thanks for being a valued TiVo customer!

pdonoghu
03-23-2009, 07:45 AM
You need to get a digital cable box from Comcast. Follow the instructions on the poster that came with your Tivo for cable with cable box. You do not need to do anything with the Slingbox, assuming you have it connected to the Tivo. The cable box will go between the cable feed and the Tivo. You will need the IR blaster that came with your Tivo (or the serial cable if your new cable box supports it). You will then need to rerun guided setup so Tivo knows it has a cable box.

information
03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your help. I hope the cable company can get me that IR blaster (whatever that is :-) ) if they need it as I'm not sure if I still have that stuff (years have passed). When I spoke to them yesterday they said they can install it for me but I don't know if they have cables and the like. It sounds fairly straightforward if, as you indicate, the cable box goes between the Tivos and the cable feed. I'm very glad to hear that it won't affect the Slingbox as I use that almost every day.

MikeAndrews
03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your help. I hope the cable company can get me that IR blaster (whatever that is :-) ) if they need it as I'm not sure if I still have that stuff (years have passed). When I spoke to them yesterday they said they can install it for me but I don't know if they have cables and the like. It sounds fairly straightforward if, as you indicate, the cable box goes between the Tivos and the cable feed. I'm very glad to hear that it won't affect the Slingbox as I use that almost every day.

Comcast is not going to supply the IR blaster. If you don't have the one that came with your TiVo you can buy one online.

Here the ones from Weakknees and SmartHome will work:
http://www.google.com/products?q=IR+blaster&oe=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=g9zHSbjCF-TfnQfo8p3fDA&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1

techmonkey
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM

If you lost the blasters that came with your TIVO you can get the IR Blasters direct from TIVO

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories.do#A00009

ghuido
03-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Please be advised that even you will need to get one of the new Digital Comcast Cable Boxes and when you set it up with hte IR Blaster you will loose the Dual Tuner (DT) capability. You will only have Single Tuner. I am just goint to upgrade to a TIVO HD with a M-Card. Can't loose the 2 Tuner capability.

Here a post about it

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=421386

information
03-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you for the additional details. The loss of the dual tuning capability was mentioned in the Tivo email. Ouch, that is a hit, I had a feeling I wouldn't get out of the thing unscathed :-). I'm running right now but I'll get to that link a little later. It's good to know I can get the blasters from Tivo. It may take a while to get them from Tivo, so I had better not dilly dally with this situation.

Comcast said I would have to pay $6.95 per month for the second digital box. Is it better to purchase one of these outright on the open market than to pay the almost $7 per month (are they even available)?

I'm stating to think satellite, is it a better alternative to extended cable and will my Tivos be able to handle a signal of this type? Are there better solutions?

Thanks for any input.