PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 stuck in reboot cycle - HELP!

IgorIgor
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
I have a 6 year old Tivo Series 2 (60GB, lifetime service). About a year and a half ago the hard drive died and I used that opportunity to put in a 160GB drive using DVRupgrade.com's Instantcake application (which was awesome, I might add).

Yesterday, I woke up to Tivo being in a constant reboot cycle (gray "Powering up" screen, then the "Almost there" screen, then power off-on, and the gray screen again...).
- I pulled the hard drive and "rebaked" it using Instantcake. Reinstalled in Tivo: same problem remained.
- I tried the Kickstart 57, 58, and 52 commands thinking I had some bad sectors on the drive: same problem remained.
- I pulled the hard drive and ran the manufacturer diagnostics tests on a PC: it reported no issues on any test.
- I swapped the hard drive cable for a new one and reinstalled into Tivo: same problem remained.

At this point, I'm fairly confident that the hard drive is not the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible for the power supply to start up Tivo but begin to fail after 1 minute or so? Are replacements available anywhere?

cantonie
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
I experienced the same problem and after reformatting the HD several times the problem reoccurred each and every time with no clear cause. After tinkering for a while I think that I found the problem. It happens only when I tuned to local channel 33 (ABC) here in NE Ohio. I've avoided it since and had no problem for nearly two weeks now. Called "D" and they could not explain it. Hope someone could figure it out on a technical level.

ggieseke
01-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Weaknees has power supplies. Also take a close look at the filter capacitor (big cylinder with a + or - stripe running down one side) in your existing PS. Is it bulging or leaking?

IgorIgor
01-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Visually, there's nothing obviously wrong with the power supply. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to risk the power supply replacement cost to troubleshoot on a chance that's the issue.

I guess I can still use the multi-service discount if I buy a replacement, but losing a Tivo is like losing a member of the family!