PDA

View Full Version : Using non Provider CableCards with Service - Is there still a fee?

RGressick
12-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Now, this is an unusual question and not one that i have seen posted yet.
This mostly pertains to Comcast but i guess can apply to any provider.

I was thinking about the Cablecard. I currently have a TivoHD and will probably be needing to get CableCards soon. Now, reading over the website site from Comcast, it doesn't say anything about there being a fee for using your own cards.

So my question is, IF i got my own compatible CableCards (like buying my own, not using a Comcast provided one) and called up Comcast to have it activated (because they are the ones that have to push the channel information into the card), would i still get a Service Charge for it (and for having multiples)? Since i am not using their technology, i should not get a service charge, because you basically getting the charge because your renting their parts. But i see nothing saying you can't use your own. But i am just curcious about the charge because if you still do, then it would be pointless to get your own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CableCard_W0QQitemZ250347296284QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Default Domain_0?hash=item250347296284&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 %7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphotohosting
Has anyone out there ever quested or done that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-MediaCipher-M-Card-Tuner-P-N-514517-002-00_W0QQitemZ350145520438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_ 0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

bicker
12-29-2008, 07:28 AM
The mandates do not require that MSOs activate to service your CableCARDs even if you were able to purchase them. Therefore, they don't and won't.

I would recommend against buying anything off eBay, but especially these paperweights.

RGressick
12-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Yes, but if they did though, would they still charge you a fee?

bicker
12-29-2008, 08:18 AM
There is no value in speculating about something that is so unlikely to come to pass.

ajwees41
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Now, this is an unusual question and not one that i have seen posted yet.
This mostly pertains to Comcast but i guess can apply to any provider.

I was thinking about the Cablecard. I currently have a TivoHD and will probably be needing to get CableCards soon. Now, reading over the website site from Comcast, it doesn't say anything about there being a fee for using your own cards.

So my question is, IF i got my own compatible CableCards (like buying my own, not using a Comcast provided one) and called up Comcast to have it activated (because they are the ones that have to push the channel information into the card), would i still get a Service Charge for it (and for having multiples)? Since i am not using their technology, i should not get a service charge, because you basically getting the charge because your renting their parts. But i see nothing saying you can't use your own. But i am just curcious about the charge because if you still do, then it would be pointless to get your own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CableCard_W0QQitemZ250347296284QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Default Domain_0?hash=item250347296284&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 %7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphotohosting
Has anyone out there ever quested or done that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-MediaCipher-M-Card-Tuner-P-N-514517-002-00_W0QQitemZ350145520438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_ 0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

you posted in the wrong forum. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=51 would be a better place.

classicsat
12-29-2008, 06:35 PM
My understanding is that the card is actually rented for a monthly fee, and you pay for a digital fee, and/or an extra outlet fee, plus an HD fee.

With that, you likely would only be saving the rental fee, if you could get the provider to go with your plan.

bicker
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
To be clear, there aren't two separate fees itemized like that. Rather, the rental fee that is itemized on the bill factors in both a rental charge for the device and a charge associated with the value of having an additional digital outlet.

btaylor1
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
I just got a Tivo HD DVR and called Comcast for cable cards. I was told that Comcast does not carry the M card, so they will be providing 2 S cards. The first card is free, the second is $7.45/ month. Does anyone know if I can get/insist on an M card? Is the M card more difficult to program? or are they just looking to charge the $7.45 fee because they can't/ don't charge for the first one. Thanks.

bicker
01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
There is no law requiring provision of M-cards, as far as I know. The $7.45 is unusual. There is a special code for "second CableCARD on same outlet" and that generally works out to about $1.50 per month. I suggest you go to the Comcast office and pick up the most recent price schedule. You can typically find the pricing there, then point it out to the Comcast agent so they know what you're looking for.

kevinandkali
01-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I have comcast and the cable cards are free ....... BUT the digital stream is $7.xx ea. (first ones free LOL) The cards I got were MS multi stream so the good news is the 3 HD Tivos only need one card for two tuners, my Series 3 needs 2 cards so 2X the charge.

A counter person had removed the fees and that also removed most of the content LOL.

Still lovin it. Kevin

SteveHC1
01-25-2009, 12:14 AM
I have comcast and the cable cards are free ....... BUT the digital stream is $7.xx ea. (first ones free LOL) The cards I got were MS multi stream so the good news is the 3 HD Tivos only need one card for two tuners, my Series 3 needs 2 cards so 2X the charge.

A counter person had removed the fees and that also removed most of the content LOL.

Still lovin it. Kevin

- LOL!!! As far as I can tell there's just no way around it if you need to depend on Comcast for your programming... and I have never heard of them ever allowing one to provide their own cablecards - as far as I know you HAVE to get them from your own cable company.

SteveHC1
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
My understanding is that the card is actually rented for a monthly fee, and you pay for a digital fee, and/or an extra outlet fee, plus an HD fee.

- This actually varies from one cable company to the next; it can even vary WITHIN a given cable company from one geographical MARKET to the next. No matter how you look at it, they try to extract as many $$$s from you as they can.

jtludwig
02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I just got a Tivo HD DVR and called Comcast for cable cards. I was told that Comcast does not carry the M card, so they will be providing 2 S cards. The first card is free, the second is $7.45/ month. Does anyone know if I can get/insist on an M card? Is the M card more difficult to program? or are they just looking to charge the $7.45 fee because they can't/ don't charge for the first one. Thanks.

Well I live in boston and comcast was able to provide me with an M card for my HD DVR, and at no charge! They told me that a second one would be $2.95/month. I obtained this info from the Comcast.com online chat support tool.

gastrof
02-02-2009, 04:21 PM
This thread shouldn't be in this forum. Maybe the Series 3 forum.

This is the forum for people who have Comcast-provided cable boxes that are running TiVo's software.

This is not a forum for people with the Series 3 (or other devices) who subscribe to Comcast.

congobar
02-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Interesting--I called Comcast last night as I just bought my HDTV and TiVo and the gal on customer service desk wasn't too knowledgable, but quoted me $7.95 per card, per month + Install of $11.00 to $37.00...I asked about waiving fee, discount, etc. and she checked and said there were no discounts showing currently. I guess this is up to me to push, complain and demand better price?