PDA

View Full Version : HDMI cable causing signal gaps?

MyUserName
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi all, as always thanks for any help!

So I hooked up a new HD tivo (love it, works great, cablecards actually work great, and DVR expander works great), but every time I switch to and from a recorded show, there's this annoying 2 or 3 second gap where the signal from the tivo to the tv cuts out. I called tivo and they said it's a "security" thing on the hdmi cable which would go away if I switch to component. Anyone know if this sounds true? Also, if I switch to component, would I lose any picture/sound quality? Lastly, there's sometimes a few seconds where the picture on a recorded show starts running, but the sound takes five or ten seconds to kick in. Could this be the same problem?

Thanks, all!

richsadams
12-23-2008, 01:36 PM
First you might want to take a look at TiVo's video format output settings, "fixed" Vs "Native" Vs "Hybrid". Display delays can also be an issue for some TV's if they have to change resolutions dependent on the incoming signal from TiVo. (Some are better at it than others.) Experiment with different settings and it may resolve the delay you're seeing.

With regard to HDMI, the TiVo CSR is correct. The HDPC "handshake" can cause a slight A/V delay when switching recordings or channels.

The difference in PQ between a component (YPbPr) connection and HDMI will probably not be noticeable...one or the other may be better depending on your TV's capabilities. Of course a component connection is video only and you'd need to sort out the audio. Ideally using TiVo's optical audio (TOSLink) to your A/V system is best and will support DD 5.1.

Here's a link to a good article on the subject:

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better? (http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html)

Here's a link to a very good article about HDMI and why it is or isn't always the best choice:

Connecting A Home Theater - HDMI (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1894924,00.asp)

We've had both HDMI and Component out from TiVo directly to our HD LCD TV and optical audio to our HT. I really can't see any PQ difference. YMMV.

Mindflux
12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
It's partly HDMI Handshake and partly the Tivo swapping out the output resolution. If you tell your TiVo to show all LED's on the front of the box when you switch from programming to the Menu you can see the resolution lights change.

restart88
06-14-2009, 01:07 AM
I have garbled audio using the HDMI cable so figuring I had an incompatable cable I ordered one (on the way).

In the mean time I bough an optical cable and am using the component video but I'm getting no audio at all. Is there something I need to set on Tivo to use Toslink? I can't see anything on the TV menu about a setting to use it.

---------------------

Update: I think it's either the cable or the TV. Couldn't get it to work with the DVD player either.

jrm01
06-14-2009, 06:12 AM
It is very rare (perhaps never) that a TV has a digital optical input for audio. Many do have digital optical outputs (usually only provide DD 5.1 when used with their internal tuner).

You sure you're not connecting to an audio output on your TV?