PDA

View Full Version : Verizon M-cards in Howard County, Maryland

rvmeush
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
I had my Verizon cable card install today in my TivoHD. After having spoken with Verizon reps for weeks and being told that there were no M-cards available from Verizon, I was shocked when the installer showed up with an M-card. He told me that he thought I'd rather have it than two S-cards.

The install went pretty smoothly and there was no problem with pixelation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work well.

webin
09-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Good deal. Do you know what your billing rate will be on the card? Hopefully, they will keep it at $3.99 like it is for S-Cards, but my fear is they will charge more for it.

If they don't, I'm hoping to swap out my 2 s-cards for 1 m-card to save $4/month on my bill.

captkirk685
09-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Good deal. Do you know what your billing rate will be on the card? Hopefully, they will keep it at $3.99 like it is for S-Cards, but my fear is they will charge more for it.

If they don't, I'm hoping to swap out my 2 s-cards for 1 m-card to save $4/month on my bill.

I have 3 S cards for my 3 Tivo hd units and I only get charged $1.50/month for each card which I think is very reasonable. We used to have charter but avenuebroadband bought them out.

aaronwt
09-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Won't they charge a hefty fee to swap out the cards? the last time I checked it would take me a couple of years of savings from the M-card cost($3.99 for one compared to $5.99 for two S-cards) to break even with the charge that FIOS was going to hit me with for messing around with the cable cards.

wmcbrine
09-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Now if only the Series 3 would support them...

Anyway, great news going forward. I wonder how available they'll be, though.

webin
09-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Won't they charge a hefty fee to swap out the cards? the last time I checked it would take me a couple of years of savings from the M-card cost($3.99 for one compared to $5.99 for two S-cards) to break even with the charge that FIOS was going to hit me with for messing around with the cable cards.

Yah, I was gonna mention that, but it was just making my post clustered with stuff that didn't really pertain to the focus (the price of M-Cards on Fios). Bottom line is I'd love to get one, but would need to run the financial numbers. $80 for the tech visit, a savings of $4/month (i pay 3.99 each), it would pay off in 20 months... not completely unreasonable, considering I will be using my tivohd and fios for... uhm.. let's say ever.

Although.... if one mysteriously "broke", it's possible I could get the service visit fee waived....

aaronwt
09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Although.... if one mysteriously "broke", it's possible I could get the service visit fee waived....

There's an idea...hmmm :D

SeanC
09-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Tase it bro! Bingo, instant dead card.

Scyber
09-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Nice I wonder if all markets have the m-cards now. Verizon has been rumored to have been testing them in some markets for a while now.

I just got a 2nd TivoHD and need VZ to come out to get me some cable cards. I took one of the cablecards out of my original one and put it in the new one. But now I have 2 single tuner units. With multiple units, M-cards could save me $8 per month.

I am also debating how to get a "repair".

wmcbrine
09-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I've seen some people see they got the installation fee waived. Others say they paid $25 instead of the outrageous $80.

aaronwt
09-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I'd prefer to pay zero installation since i pay Verizon $270 a month for all four services I have with them.

Although I'd rather pay zero for the cable cards like I do with Comcast around here. that is the one advantage Comcast has around here, zero cost for the cable cards. When I had six cards with them I paid nothing, I still have two cable cards with Comcast and pay nothing.
I pay $24 a month for the eight cable cards I have with FIOS.
Of course the picture quality with FIOS is usually much, much better than Comcast.

Jonathan_S
09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get an M-card on Monday when Verizon comes out to activate my FIOS TV. (Suspect I won't, but it doesn't hurt to hope)

Scyber
09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get an M-card on Monday when Verizon comes out to activate my FIOS TV. (Suspect I won't, but it doesn't hurt to hope)

Be sure to update us when they do come out.

exdishguy
09-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Be sure to update us when they do come out.

I just got installed yesterday in Upstate NY and none of the FIOS techs even knew what an M-Card is. I had to call billing and ask for a supervisor and have them credit my account to offset the cost of 6 S-Cards (I have three TiVos).

The whole install was a joke though. The guys that did it were just friggin' clueless. I had them put in the free HD PVR (Motorola) and the HDMI doesn't work on it (HDCP issues). The techs didn't understand the difference between analog, digital, resolutions, HDMI, HDCP , etc.

After 5 hours I threw them out once they had 4 of the 6 cards activated. I called Verizon today and activated the last 2 cards myself. So far so good - the picture is outstanding and I've had no pixelation issues. I hope it stays that way as I really don't want to deal with the "crack" tech team that was at my house yesterday anymore if I don't need to.

ourtivo
09-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Verizon did my TivoHD cable card install last week with two S-cards. The installers initiated the install from their laptops and can see the progress. It took about 20 minutes to activate both concurrently. Although, the first time only one of the two got all the channels, but second time through everything worked.

I was told the cost would be $3.99 per card, but haven't received my first bill to verify.

aaronwt
09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Verizon did my TivoHD cable card install last week with two S-cards. The installers initiated the install from their laptops and can see the progress. It took about 20 minutes to activate both concurrently. Although, the first time only one of the two got all the channels, but second time through everything worked.

I was told the cost would be $3.99 per card, but haven't received my first bill to verify.

I'm glad they are still charging me $2.99 a card. $24 for eight cards is enough.

Scyber
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM

So what did you get?

Jonathan_S
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get an M-card on Monday when Verizon comes out to activate my FIOS TV. (Suspect I won't, but it doesn't hurt to hope)Be sure to update us when they do come out.
As requested, here's a post install update. The Verizon tech brought out a pair of S-cards.
Not unexpected, but I was hoping for an M-card.

That said, the install wasn't too painful. Including pulling a new coax cable, the whole thing took just under an hour.
The tech had to call for confirmation on a couple of items* And there was some post-install confusion caused by the fact that Verizon had changed their FIOS lineup in my area in the last day or so and TiVo didn't have the new one yet. And additional confusion caused by the spurious 161-4 cable card error that Motorola cable cards apparently throw when initialized.

But hey, at least I've got HD TV now.

*(With just a TiVo HD you don't need a verizon set-top box. If you don't have a Verizon set-top box you don't need to run coax to the verizon supplied router [which I'm not using] to support VoD and On-Screen-Guide)

jrgtivo
10-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I had to call billing and ask for a supervisor and have them credit my account to offset the cost of 6 S-Cards (I have three TiVos).

What do you mean? Are you getting your cable cards for free?

rainwater
10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
And additional confusion caused by the spurious 161-4 cable card error that Motorola cable cards apparently throw when initialized.

This is a good error. It's a shame TiVo doesn't change the message to indicate it as such.

supernova
10-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Verizon here in NC have M cards, now if only they can make one work so that we get all the channels....
Trip #3 to the house tomorrow.

Jonathan_S
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
This is a good error. It's a shame TiVo doesn't change the message to indicate it as such.
Yeah, and now I know that. But I didn't do enough checking before the cablecard install.

It would be good if the 161-4 info was added to the cable-card set-up sheet TiVo has avalible on their website. (I know it's listed elsewhere, but not having it on the main "How to install cable cards" printout is a significant oversite IMHO)

mr.unnatural
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
You can easily verify this by going to the Verizon website and seeing the list of charges for all FIOS services. I also live in Howard Co. and can confirm that $3.99 is the current rate from Verizon. They charge the same rates nationwide, unlike many of the cable providers.

mae
11-26-2008, 02:59 PM
You can easily verify this by going to the Verizon website and seeing the list of charges for all FIOS services. I also live in Howard Co. and can confirm that $3.99 is the current rate from Verizon. They charge the same rates nationwide, unlike many of the cable providers.

Sorry to cross post (I put something on the pixelation thread) but I'm considering the switch from Comcast to FIOS in Howard County, MD.

There seem to be many posters who have FIOS here and I can't seem to find any mentioning problems.

Have any of you TiVO HD/FIOS folks encountered the problems posted on other threads?

Thanks.

urkel-Os
11-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Sorry to cross post (I put something on the pixelation thread) but I'm considering the switch from Comcast to FIOS in Howard County, MD.

There seem to be many posters who have FIOS here and I can't seem to find any mentioning problems.

Have any of you TiVO HD/FIOS folks encountered the problems posted on other threads?

Thanks.

Which problems? If you're just talking about pixellation, the answer is "yes." With attenuators, I've got the problem down to a dull roar -- it still happens, but not nearly as frequently as it happened prior to the all-digital switchover last summer. I suspect that upgrading my ONT would clear things up, but I was told by VZ techs that my CO is not compatible with the newer and less problematic ONTs. Maybe it is different now, but that's not the kind of question that is easily answered by customer service reps.

BTW, I have heard of folks having problems with customer service, particularly w.r.t. billing. My own experience with CSRs has been very positive. I did a service upgrade yesterday, and the phone rep was one of the nicest and most knowledgeable that I've encountered with any company. After I hung up the phone with VZ, the upgrade was effective in approximately one minute, maybe two. I wish I'd got the CSR's name so that I could try to request her in the future!

Are there other problems that concern you? Put another way, why are you unsure about switching from Comcast? There are lots of posters on this board who would dump Comcast for FiOS in a NY minute if VZ made it available to them.

Edit: I just read your post in the pixellation thread. You can get a bare-bones digital converter box from VZ (they call it a digital adapter) for $3.99 per month, adding up to less than $12 for your three TVs. You don't mention this in either of your posts, but do you have any TiVos? Since you seem to be looking for straight-up FiOS info, have you checked out the FiOS TV forum on dslreports?

mae
11-28-2008, 01:43 AM
Which problems? If you're just talking about pixellation, the answer is "yes." With attenuators, I've got the problem down to a dull roar -- it still happens, but not nearly as frequently as it happened prior to the all-digital switchover last summer. I suspect that upgrading my ONT would clear things up, but I was told by VZ techs that my CO is not compatible with the newer and less problematic ONTs. Maybe it is different now, but that's not the kind of question that is easily answered by customer service reps.

BTW, I have heard of folks having problems with customer service, particularly w.r.t. billing. My own experience with CSRs has been very positive. I did a service upgrade yesterday, and the phone rep was one of the nicest and most knowledgeable that I've encountered with any company. After I hung up the phone with VZ, the upgrade was effective in approximately one minute, maybe two. I wish I'd got the CSR's name so that I could try to request her in the future!

Are there other problems that concern you? Put another way, why are you unsure about switching from Comcast? There are lots of posters on this board who would dump Comcast for FiOS in a NY minute if VZ made it available to them.

Edit: I just read your post in the pixellation thread. You can get a bare-bones digital converter box from VZ (they call it a digital adapter) for $3.99 per month, adding up to less than $12 for your three TVs. You don't mention this in either of your posts, but do you have any TiVos? Since you seem to be looking for straight-up FiOS info, have you checked out the FiOS TV forum on dslreports?

Thanks for the reply. I've had a TiVo HD with a Comcast M card for a little over a year (replaced a Sony s1). My install was an easy one visit process, and it has been remarkably stable, unlike many other posters. The channel realignment, service changes and day to day operations have not caused a single problem to the cablecard. I have a 100 signal, good SNR on all channels and no reception issues.

I just don't want to get into a new system fraught with problems. A few pixelation blips don't bother me, and I even have a few attenuators around from about 25 years ago when Howard Cable (ancestor of Storer and then Comcast) first wired the street and had a really hot signal.

The reasons for my post is that I know that most people only post problems (I posted my decent Comcast install), and wanted to be sure that a majority of the TiVo with cablecard FIOS users in the area were satisfied with the service.

bkdtv
11-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm in your area and very satisfied with FiOS on my TivoHD with 1TB drive upgrade.

mae
11-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm in your area and very satisfied with FiOS on my TivoHD with 1TB drive upgrade.

Thanks!