PDA

View Full Version : season pass for multiple seasons

whitenack
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Do the season passes that I create continue on from season to season?

Lets say I set up a season pass for "The Office". As season 4 ends and season 5 begins, will Tivo know to record the new season?

What about trickier programs, like say, Amazing Race 13. Will it only record Amazing Race 13, or will it know to record Amazing Race 14 when it comes around?

DrewTivo
09-15-2008, 03:03 PM

Lets say I set up a season pass for "The Office". As season 4 ends and season 5 begins, will Tivo know to record the new season?

What about trickier programs, like say, Amazing Race 13. Will it only record Amazing Race 13, or will it know to record Amazing Race 14 when it comes around?

It depends. Sometimes shows have new titles, like with Amazing Race. You'll need a new pass for that. Others stay the same, such as grey's anatomy. You should check in your season pass manager for upcoming episodes to make sure it's recording as desired.

Scopeman
09-15-2008, 06:56 PM

Check out this section of the TivoCommuity.com site:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10

That Forum section deals with alerts regarding Season Passes. It is a good place to see warnings about those passes that will not carry from season to season (a problem for many reality shows like Amazing Race and Survivor, but not for most shows).

That Forum section is also a good place to see last minute warnings of times the guide data is bad and you need to pad your recording window (like for a show following a football game on a Sunday night).

CharlesH
09-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Season passes are based on program IDs in the data TiVo gets from Tribune, not on the name. The name can change and not the ID, or vice versa. It's up to whoever produces the program to code this information however they want.

TexasGrillChef
09-20-2008, 03:17 AM
A Season Pass such as "ER", "Grey's Anatomy", "The Office" or any other show that has the same name will remain season to season.

However shows that change their name... Such as "Amazing Race..." (12, 13, 14, 15...) or "Big Brother..." (8, 9, 10...) or "Survivor..." (Pearl Islands, Gabon...) will need new Season Passes every season.

It is best to check each season & make sure everything is good....

TGC

TexasGrillChef
09-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Season passes are based on program IDs in the data TiVo gets from Tribune, not on the name. The name can change and not the ID, or vice versa. It's up to whoever produces the program to code this information however they want.

While that maybe true.. You can't always count on it.

My last years season pass to "Grey's Anatomy", "ER", "Smallville" all picked up for this season with no problems.

I ALWAYS have problems EVERY season on... "Big Brother", "Survivor", "Amazing Race", and even a few other shows that change their name slightly each season.

TGC

AbMagFab
09-20-2008, 11:18 AM
That's what ARWLs are for.

whitenack
09-20-2008, 12:00 PM
That's what ARWLs are for.

?

AbMagFab
09-20-2008, 12:33 PM
?

That way you don't worry about series ID's or changes in the title. So just set up an ARWL for "Amazing Race + Reality + HD" and "Survivor + Reality + HD", etc.

Works like a charm.

(ARWL = Auto Record Wishlist)

whitenack
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM

This is what I couldn't figure out. Ok thanks.

But what about re-runs? Won't an ARWL record everything? Shows like "The Office" that are on all the time would make it difficult to sort through what is new and what is rerun.

Is there a way to exclude reruns on ARWL?

AbMagFab
09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
This is what I couldn't figure out. Ok thanks.

But what about re-runs? Won't an ARWL record everything? Shows like "The Office" that are on all the time would make it difficult to sort through what is new and what is rerun.

Is there a way to exclude reruns on ARWL?

It's the same as any other season pass. Set it for new/repeats/whatever, # of shows, etc.

whitenack
09-20-2008, 02:09 PM
It's the same as any other season pass. Set it for new/repeats/whatever, # of shows, etc.

Is there a way to choose only those that air on a specific channel?

David Platt
09-20-2008, 10:13 PM
That way you don't worry about series ID's or changes in the title. So just set up an ARWL for "Amazing Race + Reality + HD" and "Survivor + Reality + HD", etc.

Works like a charm.

Yeah, that would catch all those seasons of TAR that are in HD. ;)

wmcbrine
09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
The simple answer is "Yes". The rest of this thread is talking about edge cases. Only a handful of shows change in a way that invalidates a Season Pass.

"Season Pass" was never intended to imply a single season (and, in that respect, it was perhaps an unfortunate choice of words).

astrohip
09-21-2008, 10:52 AM
The simple answer is "Yes". The rest of this thread is talking about edge cases. Only a handful of shows change in a way that invalidates a Season Pass.
+1

The only shows I ever have a problem with are the reality shows that change names, eg Survivor. I have never had a problem with a single other show.

AbMagFab
09-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, that would catch all those seasons of TAR that are in HD. ;)

I can dream, can't I? And I thought it was flagged as HD when it was on the ATSC channel?

whitenack
09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Is there a way to make ARWL for specific channels?

For instance, The Amazing Race. Is there a way to make it record on the HD channel and not on the SD?

WhiskeyTango
09-21-2008, 07:35 PM

For instance, The Amazing Race. Is there a way to make it record on the HD channel and not on the SD?

Works like a charm.

The above should work for you.

whitenack
09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
The above should work for you.

But I don't think the amazing race is in HD, so I don't think putting "HD" in the description will help.

ZeoTiVo
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
But I don't think the amazing race is in HD, so I don't think putting "HD" in the description will help.

there are catagories and one is Hd showings.

some make two ARWL - one with the HD catagory and one without. Put the HD one higher on the list so it has priority but either way the show will record.

whitenack
09-21-2008, 07:53 PM
there are catagories and one is Hd showings.

some make two ARWL - one with the HD catagory and one without. Put the HD one higher on the list so it has priority but either way the show will record.

Right, but since AR is not in HD, it does not show up in the HD category.

Seems like there sould be a way to specify the channel.

astrohip
09-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Seems like there should be a way to specify the channel.
There is. It's called a Season Pass.

That's why I prefer an SP over an ARWL. I almost always prefer to specify which channel I record on. I tend to use ARWLs more for keywords than shows. But everyone has there own tweak, and that's part of the beauty of a TiVo!

whitenack
09-21-2008, 11:03 PM
There is. It's called a Season Pass.

That's why I prefer an SP over an ARWL. I almost always prefer to specify which channel I record on. I tend to use ARWLs more for keywords than shows. But everyone has there own tweak, and that's part of the beauty of a TiVo!

So, for shows like Amazing Race, you just remember to schedule another one every season?

astrohip
09-22-2008, 07:57 AM
So, for shows like Survivor, you just remember to schedule another one every season?
FYP.

Yes, I do. It's really not that big a deal to set a Season Pass once or twice a year for a show I like. Perhaps if one watches dozens of reality shows it could be a pain, but the only one I watch is Survivor. It's actually sort of a rite with me--twice a year I anxiously await the point at which it appears in the guide, so I can create the SP.

It's not like I'm gonna forget one of my faves is coming...

DrewTivo
09-22-2008, 08:17 AM
. It's actually sort of a rite with me--twice a year I anxiously await the point at which it appears in the guide, so I can create the SP.

That's the one problem . . . .you can't set the season pass more than ~14 days in advance. Since I don't watch the ads, I don't see the promos. And with season premiers all over the map, one can't predict.

That said, CBS covers football and has been flogging TAR, so I realized that was starting soon . . .

ncbagwell
09-22-2008, 09:16 AM

What I do is just eliminate the SD channel from the "Channels You Receive" List. For example, if CBS is channel 3 in SD and channel 255 in HD, just go in and de-select channel 3.

whitenack
09-22-2008, 09:20 AM
What I do is just eliminate the SD channel from the "Channels You Receive" List. For example, if CBS is channel 3 in SD and channel 255 in HD, just go in and de-select channel 3.

Yeah, I have done that, but we get two CBS channels in our area (one from Lexington and one from Louisville). I have dropped the clone SD channel, but want to keep the other SD channel because sometimes there are other programs (news, sports) on that channel I want to see.

Oh well, I guess I will make it work.

ZeoTiVo
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Right, but since AR is not in HD, it does not show up in the HD category.

Seems like there sould be a way to specify the channel.
here is what I would do then
make a Season pass for the show and also an ARWL.
Season pass is higher in pas manager and thus takes priority to record from the correct channel.

the ARWL is there to catch the begining of a new season in case you forget to change the season pass to the new show title

what feature I would like in wishlist is the ability to exclude channels. For instance, I would like to setup a wishlist for Law & Order but exclude the channels that play the really old ones over and over.

WhiskeyTango
09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
here is what I would do then
make a Season pass for the show and also an ARWL.
Season pass is higher in pas manager and thus takes priority to record from the correct channel.

the ARWL is there to catch the begining of a new season in case you forget to change the season pass to the new show title

This is what I'd do. If there is a chance you will miss adding the new SP, the ARWL will pick it up to ensure you don't miss any episodes. Once that first episode pops up in your NP screen, you can add the new SP for the correct channel. If TAR isn't in HD, is there really a benefit to recording on the HD channel vs. the SD channel?