PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Remote Response

jtreid
09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
This is a new one that's quite annoying. I got 9.4 some time ago and didn't immediately see any problems at all. In the past three days, I've begun to see an occasional extreme (60-90 second) delay in remote response when watching a buffered or prerecorded program. I'm not sure it it happens when watching live TV at the end of the buffer. The yellow light on the S3 is blinking when I press the remote control, but the Tivo seems to buffer them for what appears to be some random time and then suddenly will execute some of the commands I gave it. I assume it's bufferering in a first-in/first-out manner and has a limit since, as you imagine, I press the button 20 times trying to get something to happen and it only seems to take the first few. i.e. I hit pause and nothing happens so I hit again and again and AGAIN and AGAIN!!! and nothing happens. :mad::mad::mad: Then the Tivo decides, "Oh! I guess I better get off my a$$ and do what he said.", and then executes several pauses, unpauses, stops, goto menu...whatever I pressed, but not everything I pressed. After it finally does it's job, it then behaves normally for a while and seems to work as it's supposed to. Then after watching say 30 minutes of a program, buffered or recorded, it'll do it again. It's almost like the Tivo is Tivo'd. Kind of like if you were to change the cable box channel on a S2 without Tivo doing it, but you were time shifted and the channel change shows up sometime later on Tivo. It's really wierd, new and quite annoying. I tried a reboot and it still does it.

Anybody else ever see this? Any suggestions?

beerkensp
09-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I did notice the same and have ended up having to throw my remote control in anger across the room. So far my remote control has managed to find a soft spot to land but some time soon it will do more damage. Hopefully Tivo can fix this before this happens.

lastdeadcat
09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Sounds like IR interference. Go on a wild remote hunt to see if another remote is being activated by some means like being lost in the sofa cushions with just the business end looking out.

masterwick
09-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I've had the same problems before. Replacing the battery in the remote has helped in the past. Try that and/or another remote.

jtreid
09-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I did notice the same and have ended up having to throw my remote control in anger across the room. So far my remote control has managed to find a soft spot to land but some time soon it will do more damage. Hopefully Tivo can fix this before this happens.
I don't suppose you've noticed any pattern have you? I can't seem to put my finger on it yet. It did it three times last night and I tried counting in my head how low it took to react. It varied from about 40 counts to more than 60. It seems that after it recovers from whatever the heck it's doing, the response is snappy. It seems I have to watch something for several minutes before it does it, but I can't be sure.
Sounds like IR interference. Go on a wild remote hunt to see if another remote is being activated by some means like being lost in the sofa cushions with just the business end looking out.
I don't think you understand. The Tivo is getting the remote command, it just decides to take its sweet time executing it. As an experiment, I waited until it happened again when I pressed pause and did not press another button. About 40 some-odd seconds later. Viola! It paused. That means it did get it and was not interfered with.
I've had the same problems before. Replacing the battery in the remote has helped in the past. Try that and/or another remote.
I just replaced the batteries and it did it again. This is very frustrating :mad: 'cause I ususally pause when I need to do something or someone is saying something. Not behaving when I need it to causes real problems and is not being nice to my bladder:p or my wife:(

flatcurve
09-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Is this happening every time you use the remote? What else is going on at the same time? The remote commands fall a little lower on the priority list than some of the other functions, so it's possible that if your machine was busy it just couldn't get to them right away.

jtreid
09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Is this happening every time you use the remote? What else is going on at the same time? The remote commands fall a little lower on the priority list than some of the other functions, so it's possible that if your machine was busy it just couldn't get to them right away.
No. Like I said, once the thing decides to do what I told it to, it's pretty snappy. It's really annoying as I cannot figure out what the combination is. I can say that everything else, stereo volume and power, still works. It's not interference. I can hit a Tivo button and get no response, change the volume on the receiver and it changes, hit a tivo button with no response.....wait and get the two Tivo responses I told it to do earlier.

I do have a FreeAgent Pro and I'm starting to feel the 9.4 pill we were served is beginning to kick it. I had it for more than a year and I know it's been filled and overwritten many times. It's cool to the touch since I have it in a fan cooled cabinet. I check the eSata cables and they are well seated. Something has happened:eek: recently and I can't figure it out, but this is got to STOP!

I'm beginning to wonder if the new 9.4 has exploited or escalated the FAP error problem and the Tivo gets too busy trying to deal with it and ignores the remote.

I've also seen two occurences of things I've never seen before with the S3.

1. My wife hit the 30-sec skip once. The video then jumped forward at a slow pace still-framed until I hit the back be-doop a couple times. I haven't seen it since.

2. I've had two season passes not record at the right time and/or end at the right time very severly: about 15-20 minutes of the beginning of a show and 15 minutes of the end of a show.

Something is changing and I'm not happy:mad:

jrutzky
09-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I nearly threw the remote across the room, too. This is driving me crazy. It's happened off and on for a couple of years, through several updates. No, not the batteries; not interference; not a bad remote, or a bad TiVo (S2).

It's just crap software. And I'm sick of it.

Hogues92
09-14-2008, 10:50 PM
I have the same problems. I think that i'm going to try to divorce my FAP and see what happens.

Tobashadow
09-15-2008, 04:15 AM
My older single tuner S2 in the bedroom does the same thing.

Annoying as hell and Tivo doesn't care a bit when i called them.

If you leave it alone for awhile doing nothing at all. No recordings anything! It will basicly goto sleep brain wise then you press a button and it blinks then wait wait wait then wammo it wakes up.

jtreid
09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I have the same problems. I think that i'm going to try to divorce my FAP and see what happens.
Please let us know what happens. I don't want to do this as I will lose a ton of stuff.

So does anybody know of a way to see if the Tivo/FAP marriage is on shaky ground or not? It really doesn't make much sense that the handshake or whatever problem Tivo has admitted to regarding the use of a non-Tivo approved eSata drive would suddenly rear its ugly head. Perhaps the Tivo's decided that there are greener pastures out there since 9.4 and is looking for a divorce:D Conspiracy theory anyone?...anyone?

Hogues92
09-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Please let us know what happens. I don't want to do this as I will lose a ton of stuff.

I will. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.

jtreid
09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Well...Darndest thing. I've gone two days without a single delay in remote response. It's back to its snappy goodness. :confused: I didn't change anything and it appears to have fixed itself. :):):) Go figure. I'll let you know if it starts up again.

Hogues92
09-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Done and absolutely no help. Still the same problems. Customer service has been no help, either. Wonderful.:down:

Hogues92
09-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Well, it just got even better! I tried to reboot the tivo and now it goes through start up and the THX screen to the red tivo screen. Unfortunately, the only thing on the screen is the red, wavy background. No menus and no way to navigate away from this screen since there is no response to the remote commands. I'm not a happy camper right now!

IJustLikeTivo
09-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Sounds like the drive is dying. That's what mine started doing when it died before. Sadly, it is now dowing it again. Very very unhappy right now. I have now had three series three unit and all have died the same way. Meanwhile my series one and series one DTivo just tick along.

Hogues92
09-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds like the drive is dying. That's what mine started doing when it died before. Sadly, it is now dowing it again. Very very unhappy right now. I have now had three series three unit and all have died the same way. Meanwhile my series one and series one DTivo just tick along.

Thanks for the invo. I just bought a new drive and I'm going to swap them out. I had to laugh when I read your post because my series one has been working without a hitch since it came out and I was just thinking about that.

jtreid
09-21-2008, 05:50 PM
OK, it started again today. I don't know for sure, but here's one connection I've made. My daughter got the wireless laptop out again today and it's been put away for the last couple of days. My S3 is wireless on a wireless-B adapter: non-tivo approved. I can't correlate it directly, but my hypothesis is that the laptop wireless might be doing something. Maybe the tivo is getting messed up wirelessly for some reason and having to deal with it which ties it up at a higher priority. I'll make sure we shut it down later (wife's using it now) and see if that has any impact. I know it's a long shot, but geeze, something's going in and out here and I don't think it's the hard drive.

jtreid
09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Turning off the laptop made no difference. Unplugging the laptop's power supply made no difference. Dammit this is frustrating :mad::mad::mad:!!!

I know it's not interference because the volume on the receiver still works when this happens. Does anybody have any ideas on things to try to figure this out???

jtreid
09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Oh well, it's back again for the last two days. Something new to note. I was selecting something to play from the NPL and everything was fine until I got to the program I wanted to play and hit play. The menu disappeared, I got the scanning lights on the animated tivo screen, but that was all for about 2 minutes. I hit play again and nothing. I hit pause and nothing. When the tivo decided it was time to play, it started the program, but was paused; further illustrating that it's getting the remote commands, but it's busy dealing with something else.

And the laptop mentioned earlier was a red herring: it hasn't been on for a few days.

janry
09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Restart your TiVo and see if the remote responds quicker. It always seems to help with mine. The more stuff I have in my season passes and auto record wishlist, the more often I have to restart.

DeWitt
09-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Not sure if this is relevant, but I went through almost the exact thing with a Direct TV HD Tivo back when they rolled out 6.3

The cure was to do a clear and delete to rebuild after the upgrade. The symptoms I had which started right after the upgrade, (who could forget the time warping remote...) went away after the clear and delete.

bhales
10-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I have had a similar problem that I experience on an S3 HD, and also an older S2.

At random points during the day, my remote becomes non-responsive. I can press a button a hundred times and nothing happens, then on the 101st time, it responds. Makes it impossible virtually to fast forward through anything, as if I am lucky enough to get the ff to respond, I likely cannot get it back to playing when commercials are over. We have taken to just watching shows, commercials and all, for fear of getting stuck ff'ing to the end.

Whenever this is happening, the controls on the front of the Tivo work fine (although there are no ff, playback type controls there). We select a show on the Tivo unit, and then sit and watch everything.

Replacing the batteries has not helped. The remote does work, as it occasionally responds. And as I said, the front of the unit controls work the whole time.

Very frustrating. Anyone seen this and been able to resolve it?

jrutzky
10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes, restarting the TiVo fixes it for some undetermined time, but getting it to restart (short of pulling the plug) is the same frustrating problem.

Sometimes the wait is over a minute!

There is no other interference or reasoning.

daddcap
01-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi All,

My first post, I have been having this problem for a month or two. I have two TIVO HD boxes both with the DVR Expander both running SW Ver. 11.0-01-2-652. My older box in the living room is the one doing this, the only difference is it one year older.

Thanks,

Daddcap

Yes, restarting the TiVo fixes it for some undetermined time, but getting it to restart (short of pulling the plug) is the same frustrating problem.

Sometimes the wait is over a minute!

There is no other interference or reasoning.

jrm01
01-17-2009, 01:11 PM
What TV is the ailing THD connected to?

Did you try to change batteries?
Did you try to use the remote from the good TiVo on the ailing TiVo?
Any other old remotes sitting around near the ailing TiVo?

Scopeman
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM

I had similar issues (remote delays) on my S3 two weeks ago, for 7 straight days, many times a day, which always resulted in a self-reboot after about 5 minutes.

During that times, I also had it reboot once without recognizing the DVR Expander drive.

I am also beginning to suspect that it is (was) a hard drive issue, because the step that appears to have made it stop is to delete a significant number (50%) of the shows in the NPL, starting with the oldest *HDTV* ones. The system was 80% full before the deletes, is now only 40% full. (deleted completely, not just in the Deleted Items folder).

And the issue has stopped, and not come back for at least a week.

I am now planning to replace either the HDD in the S3 or the Expander (or maybe both) in order to isolate whatever HDD was causing the issue.

BruceShultes
01-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Before you think about replacing your hard drive(s), try a kickstart 57 and maybe a kickstart 58.

My S3 started rebooting on it's own about 3 months ago. After I performed a kickstart 57 about 2 weeks ago, the S3 has not rebooted at all.

In my case, I suspect the problem was caused by occasional power outages in my area. Even though my S3 is connected to a UPS, each time the power went out the S3 shut down almost immediately. This was probably fast enough to cause problems in the S3's file system, which the kickstart is designed to fix.