PDA

View Full Version : Signal Strength question

mbergen
09-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi. I just set up my Tivo Friday. I have a multidirectional antenna that I first purchased when I was setting up Directv years ago and no local channels were available. Using that antenna, the best signal I can get on the lowest signal channel that I need to get is in the 60's - most of the rest are in the upper 90's. Is a signal in the 60's likely to give me a stable picture?

This is with the antenna sitting on the TV. I tried mounting it to the front of the house and the signal was worse. My only other choice is to go up to the roof, and I think I might need to get another antenna to do that because I can't see how you'd mount this one to a chimney - it's got three holes that seem as if the only thing you can do is mount to a wall - I've got a one story house so that's not all that high up.

I have a fear of heights, but don't have a real big problem going up there - it's not that high from the porch to the roof where the chimney is - I just wonder if the 60's should be adequate to get a good picture.

I should mention I'm splitting the signal through my receiver to 4 other TVs, which worked fine with my directv. I have no HDTV, but am using the HD Tivo because I got rid of my Directv at least to see if I can live without it, and the digital channel quality is so much better than the analog and there are more of them.

Meg

wedenton
09-07-2008, 11:31 AM
..... Is a signal in the 60's likely to give me a stable picture? .....

Meg

Well, I guess the question is DOES the 60's channel give you a stable picture? In my location, I have found that what is more important than channel strenght is a consistent signal. If the signal is stable and only fluctuates a point or two every now and then, you should be OK. If the signal strenght changes every few seconds, or rises and drops over a wide range, you may get periods of macro-blocking. Most of my channels are in the upper 60's to upper 70's, and I get a great picture on all but one.

MickeS
09-07-2008, 11:36 AM
For my channels, the threshold seems to be a signal strength of 62, that's on an SD channel but I don't know if that makes a difference.

mbergen
09-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm thinking I may replace the antenna - I turned on the tv and today there was no signal on PBS (the weaker station) until I moved the antenna around and now it's back to around 60 and fine. That's ok if I'm there watching, but not when I am trying to record. At least if it's outside it wouldn't be as likely to get accidently moved so that I'm getting no picture.

Meg