PDA

View Full Version : Ever able to record more than 2 programs

weriley
08-30-2008, 02:16 AM
I just saw a commercial for AT&T... they are offering a DVR with their cable system that will record 4 SD channels at the sametime.
When do you think TiVo will offer a DVR that can record 4 programs at once?

MickeS
08-30-2008, 03:17 AM
That AT&T DVR can also only record 1 HD channel at a time - in the entire household.

The solution is to get two TiVos. I don't see any particular reason they won't release a 3+ tuner later though.
I believe Dish has a DVR that can record 3 shows at once, I think 1 local OTA channel + 2 satellite channels at the same time.

RonDawg
08-30-2008, 03:44 AM
I read somewhere else on this forum that in some areas, AT&T is now offering a whopping 2 simultaneous HD feeds!

Actually, it is possible to "record" three programs simultaneously with a dual-tuner TiVo. Two via the tuners, and one downloaded to the TiVo, either via MRV or from Unbox.

astrohip
08-30-2008, 11:52 PM
I just saw a commercial for AT&T... they are offering a DVR with their cable system that will record 4 SD channels at the sametime.
When do you think TiVo will offer a DVR that can record 4 programs at once?
I just checked my To-Do List. There are 42 shows to be recorded (slow time of year--wait until the fall season kicks off!). All but 5 are HD. What good is a DVR that records only 1 HD stream at a time? SD is last century.

And if Comcast would add Animal Planet & Travel Channel in HD, 4 of the 5 SD shows would be HD. ;)

But to your question: I'm guessing 2 tuners makes 99% of TiVo users happy. I'd love a third, or even 4th, tuner. But it would raise the price for a very small market device.

EVizzle
08-31-2008, 04:45 AM
I can get about 90% of my shows with 2 tuners. I can get 99% with 3, unfortunately my other Tivo is SD...

I think the only real solution is adding another Tivo and possibly dumping the SD one (which is lifetimed).

RonDawg
08-31-2008, 07:14 AM
And if Comcast would add Animal Planet & Travel Channel in HD, 4 of the 5 SD shows would be HD. ;)

I have the HD versions of (regular) Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. With very few exceptions, you're not missing anything by watching these channels in SD. Most of the programming isn't worth the additional hard drive space for the HD versions.

Gregor
08-31-2008, 07:32 AM
I have the HD versions of (regular) Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. With very few exceptions, you're not missing anything by watching these channels in SD. Most of the programming isn't worth the additional hard drive space for the HD versions.

After spending all the $ on Tivos, HD TV and services, I'm damn well gonna use 'em :) Hard drive space is *cheap*. Toss in a PC with some big drives and you can auto-transfer non-protected content, which in my case is over 90% of what I watch.

I cover pretty much everything I want with 4 tuners, and I have the HD STB for those rare occasions it doesn't and for PPV and On Demand.

One problem with a 4 tuner Tivo is the potential to need 4 single-stream s-cards. From just anecdotal evidence here, many people are unable to get multi-stream cards. FIOS didn't have them and the tech didn't know what he had until I told him.

Does anyone know if a multi-stream card can do more than 2 streams?

Jonathan_S
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know if a multi-stream card can do more than 2 streams?I recalled them being able to support 5 streams, but wikipedia's cable card article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_card) claims Mcards support 6 streams.

ZeoTiVo
09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I recalled them being able to support 5 streams, but wikipedia's cable card article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_card) claims Mcards support 6 streams.

yes 5 is what was reported - maybe the 6th stream is something else (checksum?) anyway - it would be a full digital M card avaialable most places kind of world for TiVo to sell a 4 recording box for a reasonable price. That is the AT&T deal - fully digital DVR that simply writes 4 streams to the hard drive with no analog to digital encoding going on that requires doubling some expensive hardware.

Frankly I like having two DVRs at 2 tuner each so we have the Main TiVo with all the shows we all watch - and then a SciFi DVR to catch shows just a few in the house watch and thus have shorter, easier to manage now playing lists.

so for me - no 4 tuners please until we have some contrl of making our own folders in now playing and moving shows around.

dswallow
09-02-2008, 08:53 AM
TiVo doesn't need to create a receiver that has more than 2 tuners; as mentioned, that would have a very small market. What they need to do is simply provide software that will aggregate the recording capabilities of two or more TiVo's in the same household so that they behave as if they were a single device with access to all the associated tuners of the multiple receivers for scheduling recordings.

aaronwt
09-02-2008, 09:23 AM
TiVo doesn't need to create a receiver that has more than 2 tuners; as mentioned, that would have a very small market. What they need to do is simply provide software that will aggregate the recording capabilities of two or more TiVo's in the same household so that they behave as if they were a single device with access to all the associated tuners of the multiple receivers for scheduling recordings.

That would be fine if you could actually watch the programming from another TiVo. But you really can't. It has to be transferred to the TiVo you plan to watch it on.

Puppy76
09-02-2008, 09:28 AM

THAT would be very cool!

ZeoTiVo
09-02-2008, 10:07 AM
That would be fine if you could actually watch the programming from another TiVo. But you really can't. It has to be transferred to the TiVo you plan to watch it on.

in the days of single tuners I really wanted this feature in any form.

now with dual tuners it is not such a need anymore. I think the implementation of it would have to be much slicker - for instance auto MRV of a show back to the DVR that had the season pass or request for recording the show in the first place.

I would rather TiVo spend some resource time on beefing up HME public APIs and including ability to schedule recordings, etc.. Then some 3rd parties can use their time to write the apps that would do all the scheduling and so forth. 3rd parties wouldbe much more repsonsive to what users want and would not have to fit in to TiVo's release schedule and testing resources, etc..

I think the final product from a 3rd party resource would thus turn out better and open up other ideas as well. It would end up being TiVo inc.'s best use of limited resources to beef up HME.

Puppy76
09-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh, yeah, they could have another unit record it and just automatically move it back to the "correct" Tivo. Geez, all that would be so cool and magicalicious...but yeah, not nearly as important now that dual tuners is standard...although that would give just two boxes 4 unrestricted tuners...oh, but then you'd run into issues if both boxes didn't have identical program sources, etc.

Oh well, I can't wait until I get to use a dual tuner DVR. I think two tuners would cover me the vast majority of the time. Most of the time 1 tuner is fine, and almost always 2 tuners would at least cover me for the shows I *really* don't want to miss.

dswallow
09-02-2008, 10:23 AM

Not necessarily; they could still have a requirement of each being connected to your display to watch. I don't need them to solve the copy protection crapola that prohibits them from allowing movement of some programs to another DVR. Both receivers can be in the same place. After all, if there were a 4-tuner receiver, it'd be all in the same place, too.

And heck, ultimately they could just have a USB-connected HDMI switcher that the TiVo controlled, if people really needed to have single-connection-to-TV. :)

dswallow
09-02-2008, 10:25 AM
oh, but then you'd run into issues if both boxes didn't have identical program sources, etc.

With the Series 2DT units they've definitely accommodated having two tuners each having different lineups, so I doubt that'd be a major stumbling block to implementing cooperative recording between receivers.

Puppy76
09-02-2008, 10:37 AM
That's cool they got it working with different program sources! Of course, this is all Tivo does, but still it's good they're able to handle semi-weird situations like that.

TexasGrillChef
09-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Actually you can record 5 shows at one time.

2 Shows off the Dual Tuner... (One show per tuner)

1 show being transfered from your TiVo Desktop

1 show being transfered via pyTiVo

1 show being downloaded from the internet directly

I have tested this on both my S3 and HD units. Works just fine. Although it gets really SLOW on the transfers from the pyTiVo/TiVo Desktop/Internet

TGC

Puppy76
09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
It's a big stretch to call that "recording" though. But 2 shows at a time really covers most situations for me, and I'm a heavy TV watcher (at least I am thanks to Tivo :D )

ZeoTiVo
09-02-2008, 02:39 PM
It's a big stretch to call that "recording" though. But 2 shows at a time really covers most situations for me, and I'm a heavy TV watcher (at least I am thanks to Tivo :D )

yah, as a new TV season starts - sometimes I have to shuffle shows around but that tends to fall off pretty quickly ;)