PDA

View Full Version : Tivo HD v. Series 3

Jack Bauer Jr.
04-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been reading threads on this forum and others, as well as getting rumors from Tivo-enabled friends of mine... that Tivo may be phasing out the Series 3 in favor of the Tivo HD, w/ an upgraded version of the Tivo HD replacing the Series 3 in the next cycle of systems...

Anyone else heard this or know about the possibility or am I just hearing things (again)? :)

I ask because I'm in the process of buying another Tivo and am trying to decide between the two... THanks in advance for all the help...

ZeoTiVo
04-25-2008, 11:31 AM
ah, back to hurt us some more are you Jack ;)

The series 3 is not being made in any quantity if at all. The s3 does not enable M card as multistream- you need two M-cards or 2 Scards to get dual tuner.
The S3 does have the cool front and THX and comes with lightly bigger drive.

In a nutshell TiVo found out that not many are going to buy a high end DVR for a lot of money. SO the TiVo HD was born quickly to get on retail shelves.

For this reason I highly doubt a more elaborate TiVo HD will come out and instead TiVo will focus on cost to make the current TiVo HD.

There is a series 4 in the works but that is a yearor more out. It will have a universal OCAP called tru2way that cable companies will work with and the series 4 will delvier PPV/VOD from cable company along with TiVo incs. own goodness in the same DVR box.

OH - an after thought - perhaps the series 2 features of controlling a cable box gets melded into the Tivo HD and the series 2 goes away - maybe that is the rumors your friends are working with.

classicsat
04-26-2008, 11:26 AM
There is plenty of speculation and wishful thinking what TiVo could do, but the only thing near to anything concrete would be the S4, and within possibility is adding SB box support on the TiVo HD.

Adam1115
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Series 3-
250 Gig Hard Drive (30 HD Hours)
Glow Remote
Gloss / brushed finish, OLED
Navigation and format buttons
Supports 3rd party WiFi and ESata hard drives
Extra set of SD outputs
Single stream only
Includes HDMI cable
THX Certified
Crestron Compatibility (Big deal for Home Autoamation people...)

TiVo HD-
180 Gig HD (20 HD Hours)
Basic Remote
Only works with TiVo brand WiFi and external drive
Supports Mutli Stream

OvrrDrive
04-27-2008, 07:54 AM
For my use, there's nothing in the feature list of the S3 to make it worth any more money to me at all. I would say the remote would be nice, but I went out and bought a Harmony One and it is far nicer (IMO) than even the Glo remote is. With my current electronic setup, even the better sound isn't a draw for me because I can only do DD 5.1...

I think it should go away. :(

greg_burns
04-27-2008, 08:11 AM
With my current electronic setup, even the better sound isn't a draw for me because I can only do DD 5.1...

S3 with THX can only do DD 5.1 also. THX is just a quality assurance label.

RonDawg
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Series 3-
Supports 3rd party WiFi

That's a new one to me. Even the TiVo support website makes no mention of 3rd party WiFi adapter capability with this model, only the Series 2, and only a certain few adapters.

greg_burns
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
That's a new one to me. Even the TiVo support website makes no mention of 3rd party WiFi adapter capability with this model, only the Series 2, and only a certain few adapters.

Engadget mentions it in their review.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/10/23/tivo-hd-vs-series3/

RonDawg
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
That may be so, but does anybody here actually use a Series 3 with a non-TiVo branded wireless adapter with successful results? My understanding up to this point is that TiVo only supported its own adapter from the Series 3 onward.

ilh
04-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I didn't think the S3 with the latest software could marry any eSATA drive any longer.

greg_burns
04-27-2008, 10:50 AM
I didn't think the S3 with the latest software could marry any eSATA drive any longer.

I know the backdoor code was removed, but I believe it will allow you to marry non certified drives via the menu.

I've divorced and remarried mine with 9.1. Haven't tried with 9.3 yet.

robostock
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
That may be so, but does anybody here actually use a Series 3 with a non-TiVo branded wireless adapter with successful results? My understanding up to this point is that TiVo only supported its own adapter from the Series 3 onward.

I was using a Belkin wireless adapater with no problems. The model number was MA111 and my transfer speed was about 8-10Mbps. The connection was pretty reliable using WEP, but I couldn't get it to work with WPA.

Since then, I have gone wired using a Motorola NIM100 and took down all the wireless.

greg_burns
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
WPA only works with the Tivo Wireless Adapter.

Adam1115
04-27-2008, 12:07 PM

They don't advertise it, but it works fine.

Yes, works fine.

Not true, it works fine.

RonDawg
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Well I stand corrected ;)

HomieG
04-27-2008, 06:22 PM
WPA only works with the Tivo Wireless Adapter.

Hmmm, I use WEP here with the TiVo Wireless Adapter without any difficulty.
(Please, no sermons on WEP. Thanks!)

greg_burns
04-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Hmmm, I use WEP here with the TiVo Wireless Adapter without any difficulty.

I did not say the Tivo Wireless Adapter only works with WPA. I said WPA (on a Tivo) only works with the Tivo Wireless Adapter. ;)

HomieG
04-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I did not say the Tivo Wireless Adapter only works with WPA. I said WPA (on a Tivo) only works with the Tivo Wireless Adapter. ;)

Ahhh, read that a different way. Sorry, and thanks for the clarification!