PDA

View Full Version : Annoying TiVo movie at every reboot!

bbristow
04-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Why are we forced to watch that annoying TiVo movie each and every time we have to reboot the S3 and TiVo HD DVR's? Is there any way around it? With the thing having to be rebooted due to freezes more and more often, I'm really getting tired of having to hit the "Live TV" button to bypass that intro. Seems like when you've seen it during the initial setup, it would remember and never show it again!

bgmncwj
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Umm... Hit the TiVo button?

rainwater
04-13-2008, 11:39 PM
If my TiVos were rebooting enough to where the TiVo intro was annoying me, I would certainly be more upset about the TiVo rebooting. 2 of my TiVos have not rebooted since the last software update last year. If you are having frequent rebooting, then I suggest you try to figure out the problem you are having and not be worried about the TiVo intro.

RonDawg
04-14-2008, 12:33 AM
The "TiVo Movie" has been a part of the TiVo experience since the Series 1 models. It's just more noticeable with the Series 3 and THD models because it's a LOT longer than the ones from the Series 1 and 2 models.

As already mentioned, if your TiVo is rebooting frequently, you have a bigger issue that you need to diagnose. The frequent freezing is a sign of a dying hard drive.

PrincetonTech
04-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Why are we forced to watch that annoying TiVo movie each and every time we have to reboot the S3 and TiVo HD DVR's? Is there any way around it? With the thing having to be rebooted due to freezes more and more often, I'm really getting tired of having to hit the "Live TV" button to bypass that intro. Seems like when you've seen it during the initial setup, it would remember and never show it again!

Freezes and rebooting are a sign of bad sectors on the hard drive. Best to replace the hard drive before it fails completely.

bbristow
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I AM concerned about the rebooting, but there is nothing that can be done since TiVo will not address the problem with updates. This is a brand new unit with 9.2a software, so it has to be a software problem. TiVo has "promised" the software patch, like always, but it seems to be MONTHS before it comes out, then IT is buggy as well. I have a DirecTV Tivo unit with same problem of rebooting. THAT patch was supposed to have come out a long time ago, but apparently now, it will never happen. I'm about ready to throw both of them in the trash.

bbristow
04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Also, if freezing and rebooting are a sign of a bad drive, many other people in these forums have bad drives as well. Funny they should all be bad, especially on new units, unless they had a batch of bad drives in the manufacturing facility.

AbMagFab
04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I AM concerned about the rebooting, but there is nothing that can be done since TiVo will not address the problem with updates. This is a brand new unit with 9.2a software, so it has to be a software problem. TiVo has "promised" the software patch, like always, but it seems to be MONTHS before it comes out, then IT is buggy as well. I have a DirecTV Tivo unit with same problem of rebooting. THAT patch was supposed to have come out a long time ago, but apparently now, it will never happen. I'm about ready to throw both of them in the trash.

As we've said in other threads, a software update likely will have no impact on a rebooting problem.

You most likely have a bad hard drive. If you called Tivo and filed an issue, and it's still in warantee, they'll replace it for you.

But don't expect a software update to do anything to fix a rebooting issue.

ZeoTiVo
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Also, if freezing and rebooting are a sign of a bad drive, many other people in these forums have bad drives as well. Funny they should all be bad, especially on new units, unless they had a batch of bad drives in the manufacturing facility.

umm - perhpas indeed that the people who come here and post about problems with rebooting - do indeed have a bad hard drive and/or a corrupted install of the OS.

That is still not exactly a lot if the 2 milion stand alone TiVo owners or the 2 million DirectTiVo users (rounded up numbers I know) and well within the norm for bad hard drives causing problems.
But go ahead and wait, I am sure that any day the tivo will stop booting adn that will of course stop any more re-booting as well.

so sure not every problem is bad hard drive related and even at that the location of the bad drive sectors leads to different problems but If I had your situation I would at least try a new drive and see if that clears the problem up.

jhimmel
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM

There are too many of us "non-rebooting" TiVo owners to think this is purely a software issue. I agree with what others here have already stated - it is unlikely that a software update will solve your problem.

I'd suggest, especially if you are still under warranty, that you have your unit replaced and join the rest of us who are running the same hardware you have, with the same software you have, and are not rebooting.

aaronwt
04-14-2008, 06:13 PM

If it were a software problem then I would expect one of my four TiVoHD boxes to have it. But they all work fine. No problems.

TiVo Steve
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
3xSeries3(144HD hours)(6 CC/FIOS)(2xWD 1TB, Hitachi 1TB)
TiVoHD(70 HD hours)(2 CC/FIOS)(WD 500GB)
2xTiVoHD(107&98 HD hours)(2CC/COMCAST)(2xWD750GB)
TiVoHD(64 hours)(WD500GB)

Watch a lot of TV do we? :eek:

BiloxiGeek
04-14-2008, 07:09 PM
But go ahead and wait, I am sure that any day the tivo will stop booting adn that will of course stop any more re-booting as well.

And Ta-Da, no more annoying TiVo movie to watch! Yay, problem solved. :up: :up:

wmcbrine
04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
The "TiVo Movie" has been a part of the TiVo experience since the Series 1 models. It's just more noticeable with the Series 3 and THD models because it's a LOT longer than the ones from the Series 1 and 2 models.My Series 2 (540) movie is way longer than the Series 3 one (which just has the THX logo, followed by the TiVo guy taking a curtain call).

arctanstevo
04-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Rebooting - have you made sure it isn't overheating? Check the system information menu for the internal temp.

bbristow
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
If I send this TiVo HD back for in-warranty replacement (even though it was mail ordered from Newegg) will I not get a refurbished unit back?

GoHokies!
04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, when you send in your used Tivo, you'll get a used Tivo in return (except that one will work, unlike your current Tivo).

morac
04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
With the thing having to be rebooted due to freezes more and more often

The sentence above sounds like bbristow is manually rebooting to fix a freeze, not that the TiVo is rebooting on it's own. If that's the case it very well could be a software issue. If it's a video freeze (as opposed to a GUI freeze/lockup), see this post (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=6179111#post6179111) and it's corresponding thread.

Then again it could be the hardware. People shouldn't automatically blame the hardware without more info, but they also shouldn't just automatically blame the software either. Without more info, it's impossible to say what the problem is so telling someone to replace the unit or hard drive without knowing what the cause of the problem is, is irresponsible. Especially when the advice is given based on a mis-reading of the original post. :down:

As for the original question, hit the TiVo button. And never hit the "0" button while in the main menu. :)