PDA

View Full Version : 2-3 hdtv recording questions

tivo5t
04-13-2008, 11:05 AM
i don't have the hdtv or hd tivo yet, but we're close to. some questions..

1) can i set up my season pass &/or wishlist somehow so that it will record hd channels preferentially? like say golf is on a std channel (ex 02)and an hd channel(ex 702) at the same time. can i 'force' it to record the hd channel automatically? [ i could do this by only listing hd channels in the 'channels i receive', but of course i want to record the std channels sometimes too].
2) currently i have a tivo series2 dt. i think the specs say that it can record one digital and one analog signal at the same time (or 2 analog). so does the fact that since i AM able to record 2 concurrect shows mean that the signal coming in on my cable must be analog? and does that mean that come next feb 2009 that my present tivo will not work for both tuners? but a new hdtivo would?
3) i have our input cable spilit 3 times. will that degrade the quality of my new tdtv picture (it currently doesn't seem to degrade my std pics)?

Gregor
04-13-2008, 12:52 PM
i don't have the hdtv or hd tivo yet, but we're close to. some questions..

1) can i set up my season pass &/or wishlist somehow so that it will record hd channels preferentially? like say golf is on a std channel (ex 02)and an hd channel(ex 702) at the same time. can i 'force' it to record the hd channel automatically? [ i could do this by only listing hd channels in the 'channels i receive', but of course i want to record the std channels sometimes too].

Season Passes are channel specific. Wishlists are not channel specific, but you can add "HD" as a keyword to pick shows off HD channels, as long as the guide data carries the "HD" phrase.

2) currently i have a tivo series2 dt. i think the specs say that it can record one digital and one analog signal at the same time (or 2 analog). so does the fact that since i AM able to record 2 concurrect shows mean that the signal coming in on my cable must be analog? and does that mean that come next feb 2009 that my present tivo will not work for both tuners? but a new hdtivo would?

Some of the channels on your cable are probably analog. (On my cable that's channels less than 100.) The Feb 2009 mandate is for over the air programming only, and doesn't affect cable, afaik. I'm not familiar with your S2 Tivo, but I think when it records digital channels, it must use a cable box?

3) i have our input cable spilit 3 times. will that degrade the quality of my new tdtv picture (it currently doesn't seem to degrade my std pics)?

You have to be very careful in splitting cable with digital signals for HD. Too many cable splits will cause degradation (freezing, pixellation, etc) and may cause the cable cards in the new Tivo not to receive their authorization signals.

tivo5t
04-13-2008, 02:41 PM
thanks for the reply gregor. i don't have the tivo series2 dt on a box, so maybe the only trouble i might have is if cablevision decides to send the lower std channels in digital .

Scott D
04-13-2008, 04:02 PM
If you have the same channels, such as ESPN and ESPNHD, these are the same thing. They're broadcasting the same thing. So, what you do is go into your channel list in "Messages and Settings" and remove the non HD channel. Therefore TiVo has only one channel to look at and it's the HD channel.

This works for wishlists and season passes.

astrohip
04-13-2008, 11:13 PM
i could do this by only listing hd channels in the 'channels i receive', but of course i want to record the std channels sometimes too

If you have the same channels, such as ESPN and ESPNHD, these are the same thing. They're broadcasting the same thing. So, what you do is go into your channel list in "Messages and Settings" and remove the non HD channel. Therefore TiVo has only one channel to look at and it's the HD channel.
At first I kept both also, but it tends to become a PITA. You get double listings every time you search, and it's easy to accidentally select the wrong channel (eg, the non-HD one). I ended up deselecting the non-HD duplicated channels (as Scott suggests) within days, and have never missed them. I would guess you will do the same.

I've heard people say they will record non-HD shows off the non-HD channel, but often the PQ is better on the HD channel. And if space is a great concern, upgrade the HD.

IAC, congrats on your impending HD TiVo. I love mine!

orangeboy
04-14-2008, 07:23 AM

Check out some of these amplifiers:
http://www.pctinternational.com/_products/northamer/amplifiers/index.html

I have a 4 port model (PCT-MA-B1015-4P) that seems to work well for me! I'm in an older apartment complex with what seems to be poor wiring, cable-wise. I've heard that too great of a boost can be bad, as well.

tivo5t
04-23-2008, 09:42 AM
thanks for all ther replies. i'm close to getting the hdtivo with the western electric expander, and a sony bravia xbr4 hdtv.
i'm waiting for some sales or good deals at local BB or circuit city.
thanks again

RonDawg
04-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I've heard people say they will record non-HD shows off the non-HD channel, but often the PQ is better on the HD channel.

Depends on the channel. Discovery and A&E especially often don't broadcast a higher quality version of a show on the HD channel, they simply "upconvert" the standard definition version. IMHO that's not worth the extra space being used on the hard drive.

A&EHD also have the unique distinction of pre-stretching their programming to fit in a 16:9 window. Discovery Networks (except HD Theater) at least cut off the tops and bottoms, though this becomes a problem whenever they display graphics on the screen.

RonDawg
04-23-2008, 05:51 PM
thanks for all ther replies. i'm close to getting the hdtivo with the western electric expander, and a sony bravia xbr4 hdtv.

It's the Western Digital Expander, specifically called the My DVR Expander. Model number is WDG1S5000VN.

Note that Western Digital's My Book series look almost exactly the same, however these drives will NOT work with a TiVoHD. That's why it's important to get the name and model number correct, especially when dealing with the average consumer electronics retail store employee.

tivo5t
04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
western digital; got it. thanks

mattack
04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
A&EHD also have the unique distinction of pre-stretching their programming to fit in a 16:9 window. Discovery Networks (except HD Theater) at least cut off the tops and bottoms, though this becomes a problem whenever they display graphics on the screen.

I must not be understanding something. Your use of "at least cut off.." makes it sound to me like you're saying that's a *good* thing. That can't be right.

Don't you mean that the 'stretched' recordings are then un-stretched upon playback, so they appear at the correct aspect ratio (and thus use more of the bandwidth for the actual show, rather than encoding the letterboxing)?

or is it like SpikeTV does (in analog), showing things all mangled up?

Regardless, I still don't understand how you can say cutting things off is a good thing.. everything should be in its original aspect ratio.

RonDawg
04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
I must not be understanding something. Your use of "at least cut off.." makes it sound to me like you're saying that's a *good* thing. That can't be right.

I wouldn't call it a "good thing." But certainly better than the stretch-o-vision strategy of A&E, TNT, and others for their HiDef versions.

What Discovery Networks does for all its HD versions except HD Theater is take the standard definition 4:3 broadcast and simply mask the top and bottom to make it fit in a 16:9 window. One major problem with that is that any graphics that were put in before this process often get cut off. It's not so much that I care what the graphics say, but it just looks cheesy.

What's especially cheesy about it is that much of Discovery's programming comes from the BBC, who have long produced shows in widescreen format. The UK has had widescreen sets long before they became popular over here, so when Discovery broadcasts it they letterbox the program to make it work with our sets. So you'd think for the HD version they'd simply use the original program as it came from the BBC, both for the formatting as well as to take advantage of the superior PAL resolution, but no...:rolleyes:

Don't you mean that the 'stretched' recordings are then un-stretched upon playback, so they appear at the correct aspect ratio (and thus use more of the bandwidth for the actual show, rather than encoding the letterboxing)?

or is it like SpikeTV does (in analog), showing things all mangled up?

No, it comes out all funny looking. Rather than let the TV viewer decide to view the program with bars on the side or not on a widescreen set, they (the broadcasters who pre-stretch the program) make that decision for you. Personally, I'd prefer the bars over stretching.

It comes out even worse looking on a 4:3 HDTV like what I have, which is going to letterbox the widescreen content.

OvrrDrive
04-24-2008, 04:24 AM
I don't know what's up with the broadcasting in your area, but in mine Discovery and Animal Planet are two of the best looking stations on my dial. The pictures are all in flawless 1080i and the sound is DD on almost all of the programs and even commercials. I do not see the stretching problems you refer to.

They're always a pleasure to watch...

OvrrDrive
04-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Some of the channels on your cable are probably analog. (On my cable that's channels less than 100.) The Feb 2009 mandate is for over the air programming only, and doesn't affect cable, afaik.

Correct. Eventually cable providers will probably make the move to all digital transport but that will be at a later date and have nothing to do witht he all digital mandate in 2009.

RonDawg
04-24-2008, 04:51 AM
I don't know what's up with the broadcasting in your area, but in mine Discovery and Animal Planet are two of the best looking stations on my dial. The pictures are all in flawless 1080i and the sound is DD on almost all of the programs and even commercials. I do not see the stretching problems you refer to.

It depends on the program. Dirty Jobs, and the newer episodes of Animal Precinct and Animal Cops: Houston do look pretty good. Trading Spaces will probably be the same as it's also broadcast on Discovery HD Theater, though my cable provider currently doesn't offer TLC-HD.

Mythbusters and Smashlab on the other hand only have marginal improvement over the standard definition version. They look heavily compressed. Most of their other programming, especially those made pre-2000, are standard definition anyway.

The stretching issue doesn't happen on the Discovery Networks channels. It's a problem particular to the HD versions of A&E and TNT.

classicsat
04-24-2008, 08:42 AM

The one digital on a Series 2 DT is with a box. If/when your provider turns off analog cable, the Series 2 DT in effect becomes a Single Tuner, since it can only utilize one box to record from. Since an HD TiVo has two digital tuners built in, it is capable of concurrently recording two digital channels, so when your provider goes digital only, you are set.

tivo5t
05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
well i bought an hdtivo the other day (and a panasonic 42'' plasma) and hooked everything up today. cablevision is coming to install cable cards this in 3 days. i have to cable split only once (to a series 2 tivo single tuner). so far - so good.
ps. i got the plasma rather than the lcd because the std pictures looked better

rocko
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
well i bought an hdtivo the other day (and a panasonic 42'' plasma) and hooked everything up today. cablevision is coming to install cable cards this in 3 days. i have to cable split only once (to a series 2 tivo single tuner). so far - so good.
ps. i got the plasma rather than the lcd because the std pictures looked better

Nice. I had the same combo before moving to FIOS. You'll love the Panny 42". Best of luck.:D