PDA

View Full Version : Tivo HD restarts while recording

jfcguy
04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Purchased my TIVO HD about 5 weeks ago -

Cablecard with Comcast setup went ok - machine updated itself to the 9.2a software and was apparently all was well.

Then a few weeks ago, it began to restart randomly while recording some program. Also, if it's recording a show and I hit the TIVO button or another button on the remote, that will cause it to restart sometimes - however - I'm not talking in the middle of every recording though but in the last week I've lost 4 shows so I'm beginning to worry that something's up with it.:confused:

The TIVO folks have advised me to unplug the wireless adapter and see how it behaves without that, and/or to plug it into the power socket directly instead of a power strip.

I'm asking for suggestions from you the experts.

Thanks for your comments or advice.

madneon
04-09-2008, 06:30 AM
You can find a lot of stories on here like that yesterday I replaced the WD drive in there with a seagate its been about a day so far and no reboots I am doing some research to see if the WD drives that come stock in the series three at least are the root of the problem I mean are they actually DVR drives?? can they stand up to the day to day pounding that we put them through...??The thing was fine while it was hooked up to my pc (the WD) but when I put it back in the tivo ( Just to test it one last time) it rebooted with in 5 mins....

ilh
04-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Did you do a full media scan of the WD drive in your PC using WD's tools? My guess it would find errors on the drive surface that the TiVo is tripping over that your PC didn't touch.

madneon
04-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Hummm didnt think about that right now the WD is sitting in the closet but I did manage to back it up on a pc, but I guess a way to check it would be to 1)mount it in windows,
2)run the scan,
3)un mount it and
4)reinstall the tivo backup, and
5)put it back into the tivo to see if it reboots again? did I miss anything or does the WD drive scan work with unmounted drives???

RAlfieri
04-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Recoding the file MPEG to MPEG using VisualHub (Mac) did the trick. It downloaded to the Tivo without a hiccup. Must have been a bad spot in the file I guess. Weird.

jfcguy
04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Ahthough I'm quite good at building systems, and pc technology, I'm a newbie at all this stuff about opening a TIVO, mounting drives, etc. etc.

I figured I didn't have to mess with this - it should be the basic - "set it and forget it" DVR.

*grumble* *grumble* *grumble*