PDA

View Full Version : HD Ads on Series 3

vstone
03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
I just watched the Toyota Sequoia ads on my S3. They appear to be HD, but are certainly at least widescreen (my TV is an EDTV plasma so it looked fine to me). The same ads on my S2 are letterboxed. Has anyone noticed this before?

LoREvanescence
03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
no I have not seen that before.

But I guess it's possible, if that same program aired on a hd station, and was hd it's possible it would record it as such. Your S2 likely recorded it form the sd version of the network.

wmcbrine
03-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Definitely not HD here. But maybe yours was recorded from Discovery HD?

Or you're just watching in Zoom mode?

vstone
03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Not zoom mode. That's what i initially suspected so I checked twice (before and after checking the S2). Widescreen SD probably wouldn't take up much more room than letterboxed SD, so that's probably what tey did.

I'm talkling about the ads that show up on the Tivo menus and are downloaded via Internet (or dialup), not ads recorded off of a channel.

Bodie
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm talkling about the ads that show up on the Tivo menus and are downloaded via Internet (or dialup), not ads recorded off of a channel.

I didn't think people with TiVos watched adds.

lew
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
The ads, and showcases, aren't D/L via the internet or dialup. Tivo leases time on the Discovery channel, your tivo is programmed to record those shows. Once recorded your tivo breaks up the recording into the segments and links them to the menu options.

vstone
04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
The ads, and showcases, aren't D/L via the internet or dialup. Tivo leases time on the Discovery channel, your tivo is programmed to record those shows. Once recorded your tivo breaks up the recording into the segments and links them to the menu options.Interesting to know. I wonder how long that modl will last. Anybody know what perecentage of Tivos are still tied to dialup?

Dancar
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't know, but believe or not, broadband internet access is not a financial priority for everyone. I'm sure a significant number of TiVos are on dialup.

mattack
04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Interesting to know. I wonder how long that modl will last. Anybody know what perecentage of Tivos are still tied to dialup?

(Well, all of my Tivos are on dialup.. I even bought a S1 ethernet adapter off of ebay and have a router to eventually try to get my upstairs tivos on the net.. but I get fairly weak reception so haven't bothered..)

But anyway, I suspect it would cost WAY more to have the servers to download shows. Tivos obviously already know how to record TV channels well... so having everyone nationally get the info off of late night broadcasts makes more sense than downloading it to each person.

lew
04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Not only is it probably cheaper for tivo to use Discovery vs tivo servers but a broadband solution has other issues. Some users have D/L maximums and may not want to use some of their allocation for tivo ads. Some users are using wirless B adapters which work fine for guide data and updates but wouldn't work as well for large D/Ls.