PDA

View Full Version : my comcast tivo review

mcc
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
SInce I learned of it from here, I wanted to give my review. I am trying comcast tivo out and will make deciiosn whether to conitnue to go back to series 2 or get tivo hd. have been using for a couple weeks

First what I like
HD (kind or irrelelvant to review)
the mini screen when in menu
it uses the tivo remote
has a new stop button which stps recording and asks if you want to delete.
to do list organization

so far what i dont like
the ff and rewind seem a bit off-myabe just need to get used to, seems jumpy.
if a live program, doesnt ask you if wnat to add time
its slow
its buggy-green screen, sometimes jumps around
cant advance by scenes when paused
no delete folder
i think everyone knows doesnt support advanced tivo functions
install took hours and then i need to redo it right after he finally left.

hopefully some of these things get worked out, surprised some of the basic functions dont work. i dont use much of advanced functions like potos, music, amazon, etc.

i think if you are moving up from a comcast dvr, you will love it. if you are a tivo user, it may frustrate you at moment.

RS4
01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
SInce I learned of it from here, I wanted to give my review. I am trying comcast tivo out and will make deciiosn whether to conitnue to go back to series 2 or get tivo hd. have been using for a couple weeks

First what I like
HD (kind or irrelelvant to review)
the mini screen when in menu
it uses the tivo remote
has a new stop button which stps recording and asks if you want to delete.
to do list organization

so far what i dont like
the ff and rewind seem a bit off-myabe just need to get used to, seems jumpy.
if a live program, doesnt ask you if wnat to add time
its slow
its buggy-green screen, sometimes jumps around
cant advance by scenes when paused
no delete folder
i think everyone knows doesnt support advanced tivo functions
install took hours and then i need to redo it right after he finally left.

hopefully some of these things get worked out, surprised some of the basic functions dont work. i dont use much of advanced functions like potos, music, amazon, etc.

i think if you are moving up from a comcast dvr, you will love it. if you are a tivo user, it may frustrate you at moment.

Does the Tivo give you an option to turn of the mini screen? For instance, I record football and start watching it an hour later. The last thing I want is to see the score from the live TV while I am bringing up the recorded version from the playlist. Does Tivo allow this feature to be turned off? Thanks

Bruce24
01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Does the Tivo give you an option to turn of the mini screen? For instance, I record football and start watching it an hour later. The last thing I want is to see the score from the live TV while I am bringing up the recorded version from the playlist. Does Tivo allow this feature to be turned off? Thanks

I have no seen a way to do so.

markp99
01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
No option to turn off the menu PIP, but you can PAUSE the display from within a menu. Press pause again to play (Play, FF, RW button do not function while in menus).

If PIP is paused while in a menu, when you return to the playing program or LiveTV, the program will still be paused.

Nice.

RS4
01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
No option to turn off the menu PIP, but you can PAUSE the display from within a menu. Press pause again to play (Play, FF, RW button do not function while in menus).

If PIP is paused while in a menu, when you return to the playing program or LiveTV, the program will still be paused.

Nice.

Thanks for the update. I appreciate that. Since I like sports a lot, I'm disappointed they don't have a way to turn the option off. I'm going to go with the Tivo HD instead.

markp99
01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
RS4,

You should note that the menu PIP only displays what is currently playing on LiveTV or the curently playing program. It does not display your selection in the Now Playing List. I suppose it's there mostly for "entertainment" purposes while you're navigating the menus ;)

ETA: If you press Pause on LiveTV or in a Playing recording just before jumping into a menu, the menu PIP will be paused.

This seems to be all you'd need not to expose any action/scores from your games when you jump into a menu...

nrc
01-16-2008, 08:08 PM
This seems to be all you'd need not to expose any action/scores from your games when you jump into a menu...

Trouble being if you pause the screen and the score is up the screen graphic...

I don't like it but I'm sure it's a ComCast spec and their customers probably expect it.

Bruce24
01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Trouble being if you pause the screen and the score is up the screen graphic...

Then you would have seen the score before you went into the menu. I watch sports, often time shifted, and this is a non-issue.

mcc
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
first box dead after 2 weeks, on second box.

went back to series 3 tv waiting for new box to be delivered. comcast is lacking.

sbiller
05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9956012-1.html

Manny24
06-02-2008, 10:42 AM

What I do is swap the tuners when I know something is recording that I want to watch later so it is hidden. Then just go into Now Playing and hit play.

fallingwater
06-04-2008, 07:05 AM
RS4,

You should note that the menu PIP only displays what is currently playing on LiveTV or the curently playing program. It does not display your selection in the Now Playing List. I suppose it's there mostly for "entertainment" purposes while you're navigating the menus ;)

ETA: If you press Pause on LiveTV or in a Playing recording just before jumping into a menu, the menu PIP will be paused.

Am I right in interpreting your post to mean that the PIP window switches to LiveTV if you're watching a recorded show in Now Playing and go into the menus?

Not having a program's audio continue when entering menus is the "feature" I like least about regular TiVos. Before entering menus it'd be easy to pause a program if desired, but TiVo's mandatory delay when checking even the most trivial menu items is a drag!