PDA

View Full Version : Help a confused soul

a320hockey
11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
hi,
just purchased an LCD T.V. equipped for 1080.

I am a directv customer with a lifetime Tivo subscription. Here are my questions.

1.what is PVR? Differernce from DVR?

2. have an existing sony Sat-60 Tivo. Was looking at upgrading the Hardrive. am i wasting my time since I want to progress with a box that can convert to 1080 signal? analog vs digital?

3. Understand If I stay with Direct t.v. i will need to purchase rabbit ears for the local hd broadcasts?

4. If I buy a series 3 hd Tivo, have I solved the problems above, with the exception that I would incur a new service subscription? Lifetime for Tivo service with Direct t.v. was purchased in august 2001. I would like to somehow keep this intact. I have another t.v which I could hook up older sat-60 to and keep the new HD DVR on my new LCD t.v.

5. From reading some FAQ"s, Am I to understand the new series TIVO's have switching to convert to the 720 signal and below to 1080?

any other thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I thought this process was easy when I purchased the t.v. but to get the best picture I wanted to make sure I have the right equipment

a320hockey

ebonovic
11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
1) Nothing. PVR was the first term coined: Personal Video Recorder... and basically DVR became the favorite term: Digital Video Recorder

2) If you have only a need for a single box... then yes, as there is nothing you can do to the SAT-60 to get it to receve or output a 1080i signal....

3) Not necessarily, depends on where you live.

4) A Series 3 HD TiVo, will not receive nor record the HD signal from DirecTV.

a320hockey
11-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Earl,
thanks for the reply. one more question to you if you don't mind answering.

Assuming I stay with Direct t.v for the near future, what Tivo series or box would you recommend buying for converting 1080 signal, assuming I don't care about HD for the near future?
I'm gonna research this right now, but your insight may help.

Finally, if I do buy another Tivo, I plan on refurbing the other box to continue with the lifetime subscription. Is my thinking correct on this point?

Thanks Earl,

A320hockey

cowboys2002
11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
DTV stopped selling/manufacturing the combo boxes with the Tivo software.

Existing boxes will receive MPEG2 encoded HD.

The newer HD channels are MPEG4 encoded HD. Thus, the only way to receive and record them is the non-tivo HD DVR you lease from DTV.

That pretty much sums it up.

dansize
11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I just went through this myself. With regard to the lifetime on the TIVO service, that converted a few years back to be ifetime on your account, and not on the box itself. As long as the account is active, the service (whether TIVO or DirecTV's service) will remain paid. There is no need to keep the original box "alive."

Good luck on your upgrade choices. We did it a few weeks back and I'm happy so far.

a320hockey
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
thanks for the info Dansize. Did you receive Direct T.V's DVR and if so am I to assume it's free because of the lifetime transfer or are you using a Tivo box.

a320hockey
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
oh, you mentioned upgrade choices. Tell me everything you did or chose to do if you don't mind.
dp

dansize
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Coming from a household that had 3 standard definition TIVO's. (1 ea of a Sony, Hughes and DirecTV). The Sony was the original and is still active in they system as it still works fine. It's just not the primary box. We have been customers of DirecTV since before they offered DVR's.

We were not actively looking to upgrade until the 6.3e software update started causing problems. I ranted at one of the reps on the phone one day and told them I would be looking at all options as the timing and quality of their software update was suspect.

In the end, I dwelled for a few weeks and finally called a rep to see what the best deal was on upgrading a single box and adding the HD package. I made it clear I was exploring my options given that I was not currently on any contractual hook with them. She asked a number of times what sort of deals I was finding and from who. I deflected the question and asked what they could do for a 10-year customer in my situation.

At the time, they offered to discount the $299 box (HD DVR) down to $199 and then offer me an instant $100 rebate (Total cost $99 + shipping). I asked them to hold the quote and I would get back to them. I did more research and found that Dish was offering an HD DVR for free. I called them back with this info in hand. While they could not offer the free box, they did offer an additional $10/month credit for a year, making the NET cost closer to zero.

I took it and had an installation time scheduled 4 days later.

a320hockey
11-26-2007, 08:16 PM
sorry, now you've given me just a couple of more questions.

1. how do you like the direct t.v. dvr?

2. when I see direct t.v ads, I see all DVR's for a monthly fee. Did you negotiate a one time fee and buy a box? or am I completely missing the point here?

I don't want any monthly fees because of my lifetime subscription.

thanks again in advance for your replies. they have been extremely helpful.

dpp

TyroneShoes
11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
1)...PVR was the first term coined: Personal Video Recorder... and basically DVR became the favorite term: Digital Video Recorder...
Not exactly. About 4-5 years ago Tivo tried to take possession of the term "PVR", saying it invented it and that it reflected what the fuzzy-logic assistant in Tivo actually did that differentiated it from garden-variety "digital VCRs". All that saber-rattling made other companies play it safe and adopt the term DVR. Especially EchoStar, who was looking down the long barrel of their lawsuit. I of course then took fiendish pleasure in calling my DISH boxes "PVRs" as well :D.

Also, the PVR was born when HDDs were 9 GB, making it impractical for a family of 4 (My sister and her family still fight over space and deletions on their cable DVRs). The Tivo interface was easily customized for one person's viewing tastes and had a more-reasonable temporary cache size, so it fit the PVR description a little better.

Now with 2TB drives and on-Tivo archiving a reality, that all seems a bit quaint.

dansize
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
sorry, now you've given me just a couple of more questions.

1. how do you like the direct t.v. dvr?

2. when I see direct t.v ads, I see all DVR's for a monthly fee. Did you negotiate a one time fee and buy a box? or am I completely missing the point here?

I don't want any monthly fees because of my lifetime subscription.

thanks again in advance for your replies. they have been extremely helpful.

dpp

1) The DirecTV DVR is a change and change is generally not fun. Over time we will grow in to it, but as TIVO owners for 5 years. . . Given that DirecTV and TIVO chose to divorce, there isn't much choice if you, a) want HD DVR and b) want to stay with DirecTV.

2) There is no monthly fee on the the DVR. While you no longer own it in the true sense of the word, the "leasing" of the box is a pre-payment for whatever amount you negotiate (currently $299 list for the HD DVR). The additional "DVR fee" would not apply to you as a lifetime subscriber. However, if you have multiple receivers in the house, "shadow" fees of $4.99/box still apply.

I presume you paid for the lifetime IVO service through DirecTV. The rep I spoke to was concerned about this as he wasn't sure lifetime would transfer if you happened to pay it directly to TIVO. I never heard a final word on this though as he was able to find our payment to DirecTV.

stevel
11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
You could never have paid DirecTV for lifetime service - only to TiVo. At the time that the account management transitioned to DirecTV, the lifetime option disappeared. If you paid lifetime on a DTiVo (to TiVo), your account now has lifetime DVR service (no matter what assortment of DVRs you use.) I have heard that DirecTV CSRs are sometimes unclear on this.

dansize
11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
You could never have paid DirecTV for lifetime service - only to TiVo. At the time that the account management transitioned to DirecTV, the lifetime option disappeared. If you paid lifetime on a DTiVo (to TiVo), your account now has lifetime DVR service (no matter what assortment of DVRs you use.) I have heard that DirecTV CSRs are sometimes unclear on this.

I seem to recall this as well, but somehow the rep pulled up the history on the payment.

In the early days of the relationship, DirecTV did handle the TIVO account setup including payment of lifetime fees.

stevel
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
I am sure that DirecTV has the records from TiVo, but some CSRs are not well trained on this. In the early days, you paid the TiVo fees to TiVo. The two companies exchanged data to enable the combined service.

a320hockey
11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
thanks for your replies,
I do have the lifetime from 2001. I'll be working them hard on the negotiation portion of this little deal, especially if I elect to go with their DVR. I might still buy a Tivo that supports 1080(SD) and not have HD for awhile. Again thanks for the details you gave me. Cleared up a lot of stuff on how to proceed.

a320hockey
11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
stevel,
thanks for the info. I'll be armed with Direct T.V. I have found they are very fuzzy when I've brought up the lifetime purchase agreement. Threatening to leave will help my cause.
take care,