PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Vids

ReRuss
11-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I got a HR 10-250 HD Tivo , and recently they upgraded me to the non-tivo HD DVR (So I could get the new HD channels)

My questions are...

A - Can I transfer the videos off my Tivo to PC (all SDTV)

B - Can I transfer Videos to my Non-Tivo DVR?

C - unrelated , but was there ever any use for USB on the Tivo receivers , or for that matter the ethernet and SATA on non tivos?

Thanx in advance

JohnB1000
11-21-2007, 03:27 PM
A - there is no official way to do this but there are hacks, I don't know them but I'm sure they are covered somewhere (of course you could just run the video outs into a video capture card but that's not practical

B = No

C = The eSata on the HR20/21 works now. Plug in a large eSata drive and it takes over from your internal drive (you lose access to the internal drive but get it back by unplugging eSata) I recommend www.dbstalk.com for more info on that subject.

incog-neato
11-21-2007, 03:30 PM
C1: Yes, on many hacked TiVo's (including the HR10) you could use the USB port for a USB network adapter either wired or wireless. I got a HR 10-250 HD Tivo , and recently they upgraded me to the non-tivo HD DVR (So I could get the new HD channels)

My questions are...

A - Can I transfer the videos off my Tivo to PC (all SDTV)

B - Can I transfer Videos to my Non-Tivo DVR?

C - unrelated , but was there ever any use for USB on the Tivo receivers , or for that matter the ethernet and SATA on non tivos?

Thanx in advance

rminsk
11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
C - unrelated , but was there ever any use for USB on the Tivo receivers , or for that matter the ethernet and SATA on non tivos?On the non tivos the SATA port can be used to replace the internal drive. Just plug it in and the HR20/HR21 will install it's software on it and record programs to it. On HR20/HR21 the ethernet ports can be used to play music and view pictures from a PC running certain media sharing programs. Also on the HR20 DirecTV is currently testing DirecTV on Demand where it downloads programs over the internet.

ReRuss
11-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Ahh... makes me interested on usin sata for some stuff now , what file system does it use?

And I'm guessing my Hr10 uses linux file system , would it be possible to hook up the HDD from it and copy the videos off it's HDD?

Cuz if i can , I may just copy the videos , remove commercials , and back em up on some DVDs , sadly if it's linux file system , I'm only running winxp atm

rminsk
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Ahh... makes me interested on usin sata for some stuff now , what file system does it use?I have not really looked at it.

And I'm guessing my Hr10 uses linux file system , would it be possible to hook up the HDD from it and copy the videos off it's HDD?The software and swap partitions a standard linux filesystems but the video partition is proprietary and not mountable with standard linux tools. The video partition is a flat filesystem (does not need directories) and stores data in very large blocks. The data on the video partition is encrypted using a unique key per unit. Please see the underground forum for more information.

ebonovic
11-21-2007, 04:52 PM
And also on the latest CE/Beta version on the HR20...
You will be able to access video files stored on your PC.

(You can't PUSH them to the HR20, but you can playback via network connetion, video files on your PC)

stevel
11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
The HR20/HR21 uses some non-standard file system which, as far as I know, has not been "decoded".

ReRuss
11-21-2007, 05:32 PM
That makes thing interesting...

thanx for the help

Not sure if it matters that my HR20 could stream videos , unless it's better than Xbox 360 , but then it probably wouldn't beat my Xbox 1 running XBMC

ReRuss
11-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Uhh another question

This guide (http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_cd.html#_Toc101001775)

Says series 1 Tivos and Dtivos , does it work with the HR10-250?

Otherwise I think I'm just gonna get a decent capture card and get my stuff that way , only problem I see with capture card , is I cant find good ones that use HDTV (non ATSC I mean) , for future use

I'm not entirely sure if channel 000 which shows in HD widescreen (but probably isnt an HD show) would use the 16:9 aspect with regular video inputs

I'm sure I seem a lil annoying , but I like to figure out options before I do anything

stevel
11-21-2007, 06:57 PM
That guide you link to does not include the HR10, which is a "Series 2 DTiVo". It is possible to modify the HR10 to extract shows - see the Underground section of the forum, or the forum at deal database dot com (my preferred source.)

I've done this with my HR10 and it works well.

I dont know of any consumer capture cards that input analog HD (component video) or HDMI.

ReRuss
11-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanx steve

My searches shown cards that did allow HDTV capturing... at a mere $10,000

I'll probably grab a hauppage capture box which has mpeg2 built in or a X1950 with VIVO since everything I wanna backup is SD

I'll check out what I can , just maybe I can make my old tivo somethin to brag about