PDA

View Full Version : Moving with HR10-250?

CatHerder
11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Gentlepeople,
I'm in the process of moving from one house to another, about a 1/2 mile apart. I've got a HR10-250 and another Series 2 DTivo (SD). Unfortunately in the chaos, I managed to forget the triple-LNB dish on the roof and the splitter.

Given all that, I'm considering several options:

1) Call the landlady and just get the old equipment back
2) Call DTV and use their "move" service, and incur the 1 yr commitment
3) Call Retention, push to get a free move and other goodies (since I've been a high-tier customer for over a decade)

Add to the mix that I /DEFINITELY/ want to stick with my TiVo (I've tried the HR20 and don't particularly care for it) and that I have national locals for HD.

So, a few questions to the assembled gurus:

1) Beyond the 1 yr commitment, is there any downside to using their free moving service?
2) Will I get the 5 LNB dish?
3) What sort of goodies is retention giving out now? :)
4) What's the risk of losing my national locals by admitting to DTV that I'm moving (rather than just letting the post office forward my bills)

Anything else I should be considering? Will DTV try to push to give me a free HR20?

Thanks!

JimSpence
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Will DTV try to push to give me a free HR20?
...Very likely!

jimb726
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Gentlepeople,
I'm in the process of moving from one house to another, about a 1/2 mile apart. I've got a HR10-250 and another Series 2 DTivo (SD). Unfortunately in the chaos, I managed to forget the triple-LNB dish on the roof and the splitter.

Given all that, I'm considering several options:

1) Call the landlady and just get the old equipment back
2) Call DTV and use their "move" service, and incur the 1 yr commitment
3) Call Retention, push to get a free move and other goodies (since I've been a high-tier customer for over a decade)

Add to the mix that I /DEFINITELY/ want to stick with my TiVo (I've tried the HR20 and don't particularly care for it) and that I have national locals for HD.

So, a few questions to the assembled gurus:

1) Beyond the 1 yr commitment, is there any downside to using their free moving service?
2) Will I get the 5 LNB dish?
3) What sort of goodies is retention giving out now? :)
4) What's the risk of losing my national locals by admitting to DTV that I'm moving (rather than just letting the post office forward my bills)

Anything else I should be considering? Will DTV try to push to give me a free HR20?

Thanks!
You should get the 5lnb dish as that is now the standard used with HD installs, very few goodies are being given out now, simply because the demand is so high. People are still getting stuff, but it seems no where near as easily as 60 days ago and no where near as much. Finally though I am no expert, I have heard and read several threads that they will yank the national locals if they can and if they "inadvertantly" disconnect them, they will not reconnect them. Also I would assume that they will make a push to convert you, but hold your ground and keep your HR10.

CatHerder
11-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Well the landlady is claiming that the dish is now hers, since it's attached to the house, so it's pretty moot now. Hopefully retention will offer me something decent!

Thanks for the advice....

JimSpence
11-10-2007, 03:00 PM
If the landlady doesn't currently have DirecTV, you could give DirecTV her phone number so that they can call and sign her up. :)