PDA

View Full Version : HR10-250 Drive Upgrade - 8MB or 16MB buffer

restino
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
A - For a HR10-250 Drive replacement upgrade to the Seagate Barracuda 500GB drive will the 8MB or 16MB buffer make a difference? Does the tivo mother board take advantage of it at all?

B - Also, it seems like the Seagate Barracuda is a bit noisey comapred to origignal Tivo HD. Is this normal? Thought they were supposed to be whisper quiet?

C - Is there a better HD out there instead in your recent opinion?

D - On the flip side, how about the cheapest 500GB hard drive price you now about?

Any expert ideas on each question will surely give you bonus karma :D

Thx

Da Goon
11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
A - Won't make a difference either way.
B - You may need to enable acoustic management, I don't know for sure.
C - Almost all IDE drives are the same for your purposes. Just read online reviews before buying. I've had good luck with seagates.
D - Check Fry's outpost, they've always got some good deals.

restino
11-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Is the outpust you mentioned Frys . c o m ?

At that site I found a WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB SERIAL ATA/300 3.5" HARD DRIVE - WD5000AAKS for $99 bucks. It is the Cavier SE16 Series with 16MB buffer.

Not sure if the Barracuda verses Cavier matters.

Question: I had to specially enable my puter to take a larger harddrive over 137GB. Any idea why I didn't have to do that with the Tivo?

ASKED AND ANSWERED: Geez this guy put some time into his report. I found my seagate better or worse answer here with pros-cons at the very end of the article. This will make for a great link for these questions.

(take out the spaces) nordichardware . com/ Reviews/?page=1&skrivelse= 396

Da Goon
11-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Is the outpust you mentioned Frys . c o m ?
yep.
Question: I had to specially enable my puter to take a larger harddrive over 137GB. Any idea why I didn't have to do that with the Tivo?
Because an HR10-250 runs a 2.4.20 linux kernel that is already LBA48 aware.

restino
11-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Opps, that Cavier was a SATA-300 and think I can only use EIDE drives ATA in tivos.

stevel
11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Correct - HR10 uses an IDE drive.

ibroussard
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I just installed a new Seagate Barracuda drive. According to the back of the box, it is "Engineered for silence. The world's quietest 7200 RPM drive...". I'm not sure what model number it is, but it is not from the Seagate DB35 family of drives.

This drive is noticeably noisier than the original drive. I can hear drive activity easily from 10 feet away if the room is fairly quiet.

In contrast, I also have a new Seagate DB35 drive that is supposedly optimized for use in DVR's. I had it installed in the same HR10-250 for a while, and I could not hear drive activity at all, even when very close to the DVR.

One of the sponsors for MFSLive . org sells the DB35 drives at a pretty good price. They seem to be more difficult to find than other drives. I believe they come with a 5-year warranty like other Seagate drives.

Regards,
Ira

restino
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I just installed a 250 GB SeaGate and it also say engineered for silence. Its not very quiet really. They probably put that there on all boxes to make it sell.

It was a ST3250623A Barracuda.

coachO
11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Just be glad you didn't try a HR20, mine are very noisy as compared to my HR10.

cramer
11-07-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm not too sure why people go all gaga over high rpm, large buffers, and "DVR Optimized" drives. The DVR manufacturer didn't put any Magic Drive(tm) in there. My S3 is sitting here open... it contains qty. 1 WD2500BS -- industry standard, "desktop", 2MB buffer, WD Caviar. Other than Tivo, Inc. buying them buy the railcar, there's nothing at all special about that drive.

I have 2 regular $99 500G drives in my HR10 and it's working just fine. It'll record 2 HD streams and play a 3rd without a hitch. 10-30Mbps (bits people) is nothing to a modern hard drive; they're rated to more than 10x that.

ibroussard
11-07-2007, 08:21 AM
The point I was trying to make is that two new drives (from different drive "families") from the same manufacturer operating at the same speed had noticeably different noise levels. At normal TV listening levels from my regular viewing distance (about 10 feet), I can hear disk activity on one of the drives but not on the "DVR optimized" drive. That suggests to me that either one new drive is already somewhat defective or the "DVR optimized" drive is better with regard to noise levels. I doubt it is the former because the "noisy" drive sounds like any other drive I have in my PC's when they are doing heavy disk activity. The optimized drive makes no noise at all (that I can hear from a few feet away).

Regards,
Ira

stevel
11-07-2007, 09:30 AM
The "AV Optimized" drives are configured to do quieter seeks. This is slower than the normal method but, as mentioned, A/V products don't need the fastest seek time. They are also often designed to run cooler and to not do thermal recalibrations during operations.

STL
11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
If anyone knows how to quiet Seagate (or the new Maxtor drives made by Seagate) please do tell. I have one of the new Maxtors, and all the programs I've tried aren't compatible with the drive. From what I understand, Seagate drives don't work with the standard tools for manipulating things like acoustic management.