PDA

View Full Version : OTA with HR10 Questions

boneskrw
10-30-2007, 11:51 PM
We subscribe to Direct TV including the HD package with 5 LNB dish with HR20 at home. At our cottage, using the same subscription, we have a 5 LNB dish and HR10. We receive the same channels at the cottage, but no HD at all.

Shouldn't we be able to watch channel 72, 73, 74, 75, etc. in HD? Also, can local channels in HD off the satellite dish be received with the HR10?

rlj5242
10-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Shouldn't we be able to watch channel 72, 73, 74, 75, etc. in HD? No. Your local affiliates lobbied congress to pass laws to "protect" them. When you watch out of market networks, they lose ratings and therefore lose advertising dollars. You can ask each local station for a waiver and then get the nation version of the network. Don't hold your breath though because waivers are rarely granted.

Also, can local channels in HD off the satellite dish be received with the HR10? If that "local" channel is a NY or LA affiliate then, yes you can. For me, those are considered the national feeds and I am not eligible.

-Robert

TyroneShoes
11-02-2007, 09:28 PM
With respect, rj, I think you may have misunderstood the situation.

While some OTA channels and some sports broadcasts are protected geographically, 72-75 are not OTA channels, they are sat/cable networks delivered (in this case) by satellite, which any properly-authorized HR10 can get (which may be boneskrw's problem-- he should call DTV to report this and have them reauthorize his card) on a Phase III or 5LNB dish. There is no protection against sat/cable channels, as who would they be protecting?

80-89 are network distant HD signals (original OTA HD delivered by sat), and they are protected in certain situations to keep local viewers from migrating away from the local stations, which show similar or same content. I'm allowed 89 only because FOX owns the FOX station in my market, but not 80-88.

RandCfilm
11-02-2007, 09:41 PM
We subscribe to Direct TV including the HD package with 5 LNB dish with HR20 at home. At our cottage, using the same subscription, we have a 5 LNB dish and HR10. We receive the same channels at the cottage, but no HD at all.

Shouldn't we be able to watch channel 72, 73, 74, 75, etc. in HD? Also, can local channels in HD off the satellite dish be received with the HR10?Yes you should be able to view the channels.
Do the channels show up in the guide?
Do you get a message screen while on the channels?

rlj5242
11-06-2007, 08:52 AM
With respect, rj, I think you may have misunderstood the situation. I got the channel numbers mixed up.

-Robert

poppagene
11-08-2007, 03:54 PM

Shouldn't we be able to watch channel 72, 73, 74, 75, etc. in HD? Also, can local channels in HD off the satellite dish be received with the HR10?

Local channels off the sat feed are not received by the hr10.
Sat HD 72-79 should be received by the HR10. you may need to redo your guided setup.

newsposter
11-09-2007, 09:44 AM
what are your signal strengths for the 110 and 119?

silly question but how'd you wind up with 5lnb at the cottage with only HR10?

Piebox
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Can someone clarify the situation with receiving local channels on the HR10?

Here in Seattle, my local stations are 4 (ABC), 5 (NBC), 7 (CBS) and a handful of assorted locals. Will my HR10 be able to receive and record these channels in standard definition? When people say that the HR10 cannot receive local channels, do they just mean HD locals?

Is OTA the typical solution to receive local channels, and can the HR10 take an OTA feed just fine?

Thanks, sorry if my questions are basic.

poppagene
11-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Can someone clarify the situation with receiving local channels on the HR10?

Here in Seattle, my local stations are 4 (ABC), 5 (NBC), 7 (CBS) and a handful of assorted locals. Will my HR10 be able to receive and record these channels in standard definition? When people say that the HR10 cannot receive local channels, do they just mean HD locals?

Is OTA the typical solution to receive local channels, and can the HR10 take an OTA feed just fine?

Thanks, sorry if my questions are basic.

ok to clarify: The HR10 can receive local SD channels from the sat feed and local HD channels from an OTA antenna. It cannot get local HD channels from the sat feed.

newsposter
11-15-2007, 10:41 AM
hr10 can take OTA digital channels yes. No issues as long as you have line of sight and good signal. I prefer to even watch the digital OTA channel over directv's standard def locals because the pic quality is so much better and i dont mind pillars.

And of course you will get the SD locals from directv with any receiver.

people probably are talking about HD locals over satellite only with HR20s. Of course that is only the big 4 or 5 networks. and only 1 subchannel, not the 2-4 more some channels have.

hope that helps a bit.