PDA

View Full Version : Odd HR10 problem

phox_mulder
10-26-2007, 06:01 PM
My HR10 is behaving badly.

It'll be fine for days then suddenly it won't do anything.
No amount of key presses either on the remote or the front panel will turn it on.
I have to delve into the tangled rats nest and trace the power cord to the correct UPS and unplug it, then plug it back in to get it to turn on.
(said that so all would know it is plugged into a UPS, APC 1500 to be exact)

Two weekends ago it decided to do this on Friday night after I was done watching, it then missed all recordings Saturday, Sunday and Monday until I went to watch and couldn't get it to turn on.
Recording history said it didn't record because the power was disconnected.
(Dexter, Brotherhood, Weeds, Heroes, Chuck and Journeyman were missed)
(Luckily, I back up Heroes on the R10, along with Dexter and Weeds, Chuck was repeated Saturday)

Sometimes after unplugging/plugging in it will hang on "welcome, powering up", which would indicate a hard drive problem.
Power cycling again will fix this and it will make it all the way to on.
Once it's on, it's fine for more than a couple days.

While watching I'm not seeing any other signs of hard drive problems.
All my recordings are good, no skipping, no dropouts, and live TV is fine as well.

I do have two drives, the original and a weaknees 500gb drive.

I do sometimes hear what might be a bad fan, but the temperature is always reading in the normal range, not even close to the upper normal range, and it sounds like it's coming from the R10 on top of it anyway, not the HR10.

I've taken to making sure it is powered up, not in standby, before leaving for the day, and it manages to stay on and record everything that night, but the next morning it will be powerless again (almost like the 2am showcase download might be doing something)

It is nearing full, this might be a sign of something.
I really don't want to lose all my recordings, as I am at least a couple weeks behind on everything I record on this unit.

Once I get the HR20, it will take some of the load off and I'll be able to get more caught up.

Just wondering if it is something others have experienced and found a fix for.

Thanks in advance.

phox

litzdog911
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
I had very similar symptoms on my HR10-250 awhile back. Replacing the hard drive fixed it.

phox_mulder
10-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I had very similar symptoms on my HR10-250 awhile back. Replacing the hard drive fixed it.

Didn't want to hear that one, so I'll just pretend I didn't and wait for the next post.

:D

But ya, I'm thinking there is some damage in the space reserved for the Showcases, since it seems to be happening after the showcase recording.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking what will happen if I deselect the showcase channel?
Will that prevent future showcases from recording and maybe be a temporary fix until I get everything watched?

phox

TonyTheTiger
10-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Ok, Phox. I'll bite.

The next post (this one) is telling you that you have to replace the hard drive!

Hard to ignore now :D :D :D

[tongue-in-cheek] You could, of course, go for an S3 or an HR20 or a Moto from Comcrap or... [/tongue-in-cheek]

:)

Flattop14
10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
What's the best way to save programs from old drive? if you replace with a new one.
Troy

phox_mulder
10-31-2007, 06:20 PM
I am now pretty sure my hard drives aren't to blame, nor the power supply.

Since removing all CBS Season Passes and making sure my tuners are on something other than CBS before leaving for work, my HR10 has been rock solid stable.
No lockups, no reboots, no missed recordings.

I've never used suggestions, so no CBS programs would ever be recorded on this unit.

S3 was able to get all CBS programs, since I do record a lot on CBS.

phox

Dellantex
10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm not clear on whether your machine is "off" off when you find it, as in, no fans, no lights? Or are there lights and it's unresponsive?

In my situation, the power light would be on and the box would be "working".

This probably isn't it, but I had a similar problem months ago that I finally figured out to be the HDMI connection. I bought a new Westinghouse LVM-42w2 LCD and ran HDMI to HDMI. Sometimes, the HR10-250 would be fine for a couple of days, and other times, it would lock up every day. Sometimes I could hear the audio and get through the menu by sound and reboot the machine, but usually it was completely locked up and I had to unplug it.

On someone elses recommendation, I tried a new drive, but ended up with the same issues. I finally switched to component cables and have had no trouble since. I plan to try HDMI to DVI, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

HiDefGator
10-31-2007, 10:11 PM
I think it is still the hard drive and by changing the season passes you moved something around on the disk. The problem will come back eventually.

If you value what is on the drive you may want to make a copy of it now while you still can just to be safe.

phox_mulder
10-31-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm not clear on whether your machine is "off" off when you find it, as in, no fans, no lights? Or are there lights and it's unresponsive?

I've found it in both states.

All lights off, not responsive to either remote or front panel.

Green light on, amber window shows remote signal being received, but no picture and no response.

I've also found it with green light on, picture is frozen and pixelated, no amber light when remote pressed, and no front panel response.

It's been fine all week after removing CBS HD from the equation.

I also recounted my recordings and found I'm only 2/3 full instead of almost full as I originally thought.

I am getting an HR20 or HR21 tomorrow, once that's recording I'll watch whats on the HR10 as quickly as possible, just in case.

I really think CBS HD and bad guide data is the root of my problems.

phox

bpratt
11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree with the bad hard drive idea posted by a couple of others in this thread. I too have one of my HR10-250s with two drives, a Weaknees 300G and the original. One of my HR10-250s is the older HDMI card, the other has the new HDMI card. Both units are running 6.3e and neither one of them has ever rebooted or hung up. I record a lot of CBS and since we both live in Salt Lake City, I'm sure we get the same guide data and the same CBS signal.

JohnB1000
11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I've had similar problems starting in the last two weeks, as has another person I know. It's just too much coincidence for me. Something has to be going on.

phox_mulder
11-01-2007, 12:31 PM
I record a lot of CBS and since we both live in Salt Lake City, I'm sure we get the same guide data and the same CBS signal.

Crap, there goes that theory.

Mine is running 6.3e-01-2-357.
Hooked to a phone line so it calls whenever it's supposed to.
Pretty sure it is a later unit, but HDMI could have failed and I didn't know it as I am only using component.

phox

rickmeoff
11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
same problem here. ill turn on the tv to often times find a frozen screen which is completely unresponsive to remote presses. other times the screen is just grey (whcih i imagine is a result of my sony tv after the frozen screen is up there for a while).

a reboot fixes it, and theres absolutely no other indication of hd failure.

i tried putting both tuner/channels on a blank screen overnight at times i knew it wasnt recording, and deleted much of the old stuff we had in now playing, yet it would still freeze.

ive now unhooked this unit from the incoming sat and ota wires so that we can watch the remaining programs in now playing (only 2 recordings of 'prison break' left) and its still freezing up, so im pretty certain its the hd, and got nothing to due with that cbs thing.

as a last resort ill try a 'clear and delete' after we watch those 2 episodes of prison break (i tried a clear and delete on another failing unit that had leftover programming on it once before, and the unit never recovered and we lost the recordings, so this time i wanna make certain weve watched everything before i try it again), but im afraid its gonna be a waste of time.

worth a shot.

94SupraTT
11-03-2007, 02:34 PM
My unit becomes unresponsive to the remote a few times a month but it does not miss recordings. A reboot resolves the issue.